Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Saving Seeds: Castor Bean

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 9, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 13, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8369347

This plant has been in the news again. Has anyone stopped growing it? If so, why? What dangers/precautions have you noted in your personal experience with castor bean?

Thanks

Grayson

sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8369674

as long as it continues to get rid of gophers i will continue to have it. i do wear gloves and a mask when crushing the seeds and wash thouroughly when done.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8369685

I love castor beans, mostly for the foliage, they stand out in my northern gardens like tropicals. I do wash my hands after handling the seeds, have been planting them for many years. What was in the news?
garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 13, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8370023

NPR (National Public Radio) had a segment on arrests in England, where the growers were suspected of producing ricin. I believe you can go to the NPR website to hear a rebroadcast. Lots of people were interviewed (including gardeners).

I grew them last year, and they were spectacular. I saved seeds, but I'm not sure I will replant this year. I can't think of anything as exotic looking - cannas and elephant ears don't get tall enough to have the same impact.

Grayson
SusieR
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8394007

I am DYING for Castor seeds! I was at a historical site last year and want to copy a planting they did (based on some historical docs they found) using Castor plants. Where did you guys find the seeds?

The only thing I know is that the seeds are poisionous and used to make ricin. I just want to plant them because they are stunning. I don't harvest poppy seeds, either! :)
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8394159

susie-are you interested in any particular variety?
SusieR
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8394352

I have to admit my ignorance here... I'll find the sheet I got from the historical Master Gardener and see if the variety is on it. The plants were about 10' high and a dark chocolately red. I have to find out what one of the ringing plants was as well- even she didn't know. I told her that I knew a place (DG) where there would be someone would be able to figure it out. I'll try to find the sheet tonight. :)
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8394671

i have a few different ones, but not sure about the names, do better with a pic of the leaves/flowers
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8396187

I have seeds dmail me.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8652630

Susie,

New Bee seeds has Castor Beans that might be this, but what exact variety or form I can't say.

Castor Bean
Ricinus communis
Family Euphorbiacea

4'-6' tall, 3' - 4' spacing
grown for red or red & green foliage.
red blooms late Summer to Early Fall

tender perennial as Annual [TP Zone 9a-11] reseeds
poisonous beans
full sun, drought tolerant
direct sow after frost or start 3 weeks early in individual pot
Seed does not store well. Sow as soon as possible,
soak 2-3 hours

Corey

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America