Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Saving Seeds: Castor Bean

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 9, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 13, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8369347

This plant has been in the news again. Has anyone stopped growing it? If so, why? What dangers/precautions have you noted in your personal experience with castor bean?

Thanks

Grayson

sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8369674

as long as it continues to get rid of gophers i will continue to have it. i do wear gloves and a mask when crushing the seeds and wash thouroughly when done.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8369685

I love castor beans, mostly for the foliage, they stand out in my northern gardens like tropicals. I do wash my hands after handling the seeds, have been planting them for many years. What was in the news?
garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 13, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8370023

NPR (National Public Radio) had a segment on arrests in England, where the growers were suspected of producing ricin. I believe you can go to the NPR website to hear a rebroadcast. Lots of people were interviewed (including gardeners).

I grew them last year, and they were spectacular. I saved seeds, but I'm not sure I will replant this year. I can't think of anything as exotic looking - cannas and elephant ears don't get tall enough to have the same impact.

Grayson
SusieR
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8394007

I am DYING for Castor seeds! I was at a historical site last year and want to copy a planting they did (based on some historical docs they found) using Castor plants. Where did you guys find the seeds?

The only thing I know is that the seeds are poisionous and used to make ricin. I just want to plant them because they are stunning. I don't harvest poppy seeds, either! :)
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8394159

susie-are you interested in any particular variety?
SusieR
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8394352

I have to admit my ignorance here... I'll find the sheet I got from the historical Master Gardener and see if the variety is on it. The plants were about 10' high and a dark chocolately red. I have to find out what one of the ringing plants was as well- even she didn't know. I told her that I knew a place (DG) where there would be someone would be able to figure it out. I'll try to find the sheet tonight. :)
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8394671

i have a few different ones, but not sure about the names, do better with a pic of the leaves/flowers
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8396187

I have seeds dmail me.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8652630

Susie,

New Bee seeds has Castor Beans that might be this, but what exact variety or form I can't say.

Castor Bean
Ricinus communis
Family Euphorbiacea

4'-6' tall, 3' - 4' spacing
grown for red or red & green foliage.
red blooms late Summer to Early Fall

tender perennial as Annual [TP Zone 9a-11] reseeds
poisonous beans
full sun, drought tolerant
direct sow after frost or start 3 weeks early in individual pot
Seed does not store well. Sow as soon as possible,
soak 2-3 hours

Corey

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America