Photo by Melody

Strawbale Gardening: Going for second year, any experience?

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8370998

I've been working up in the garden on days that are warm enough (not many yet). Many of last years' bales are still looking much like bales. I've been sort of squishing them around, and seperating the big clumps, and they look like they could be planted. They've lost about five inches in height (I'll try for pictures) as compared to the "new" bales next to them. I got a bit creative (okay, lazy) when I saw what good shape the old bales are in, and put the new bales next to the old ones, on the other side of the support fencing. Most bales are used for tomatoes, so I figured I could plant short, early stuff in the old ones, and they'd be okay until the 'Maters grew up. Part of one old (the "front") row will be squashes and peppers, in addition to the ones which will go into new bales.
I'm wondering if anyone has had much success with this? I sort of half-***ed it before, just throwing some seeds at the old hay piles, but didn't really follow through.
This time I've worked at it, more than I'd planned :). They are all nice and uniform, no big clumps of rotted hay, but kinda fluffy. I am planning to top them with potting soil, as I do with new bales, for the seeds to get a start in.
Any thoughts, hints or experienced (or "un") advice?

Margo
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

February 15, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8374048

Margo: sounds like you're doing just fine.

As the bales decompose and you add seeds or transplants to them, and as you add other organic matter to them, including some new straw, it kind of gets into the "Ruth Stout" method of gardening.

Keep up the good work and post some pics.

Kent
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8438273

Margo,

I love working with the "old" bales - they are so nicely rich and composted, full of worms. Half my bales are old and half new for 2011. They are all in rows with every other bale and old one. I have planted in the old ones with great success - sometimes better results than the new ones because of all the nutrients left over. As Kent said, it it like the Ruth Stout method: i.e deep mulch with no work! You don't even need to top them off with potting soil unless you want to. I just plant directly into that great "fluffy" stuff!

Jessica
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8440207

Hi Jessica,

Thanks! That's about how I felt. I went out soon after I wrote this, and the old bales were all broken apart, and looked as if something had been digging in them. Couldn't figure out what would do that and throw stuff as far as this went.

Later I saw it happening.

Must have been lots of chicken tasty buggies...:)

So, I put them back together, and they've been okay since. I will fence them after I plant.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America