Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Container Gardening: Tapla - 5-1-1 in raised bed - what mineral to add?

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gilraen
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8372043

Tapla,

I have about 4/5ths of my raised bed filled with the 5-1-1 mixture, with about 1/3 of it left over from last year.

GymGirl told me you mentioned to her that you regretted not adding (or adding enough?) of some mineral to your raised bed soil.

What mineral were you thinking you should have added? Sand? Chicken grit? What should I add before I start planting my seedlings? Or should I go with what I got?

Also, should I really add a bunch of the 1/2 - 1" pieces of the pine bark fines back into the bed??? I had sifted them out.

Thank you,
Gilraen

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8372187

My raised bed soil (picture below) is very productive. It holds water & air well, and is full of soil life, but there was a LOT of shrinkage in the first years because it was mostly organic components. You can see some sand & Turface in it, but I think I'd be sure to try to have at least 75% mineral (inorganic) content that won't break down. For you, that might be fine sand, or even some/one of the Turface products that is finer than Allsport/MVP. Over the years, I increased the mineral content by adding the fines left over after screening Turface Allsport/MVP for the gritty mix. Topsoil would work just fine, if it's decent.

I mulch my raised beds every year with pine bark. I don't till/trowel it in - the soil life just seems to break it down slowly. That's what I would do with the larger pieces after you have your plantings established.

Watch out for some N immobilization the first year (with that high a % of organic components). You'll probably need to water a little extra, and use a high N fertilizer, but after the first year you won;t need to watch so carefully. Keep an eye on leaf color, & when things start looking a little chlorotic, it's probably time to fertilize.

Happy Valentine's Day, J. ;o)

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America