fertilizing daffys now?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have daffys coming up now. I'm in zone 7 and could still get more cold. However, I've been told that when they break ground, they should be fertilized. Should I or shouldn't I at this time?

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

Wait until the last frost has been as the freezing temps will release all the nitrogen in the fertilizer.

Ok. Thanks Birt.

Sylacauga, AL(Zone 7b)

I have a drainage ditch along the edge of my property that has been covered with privet and honeysuckle for probably 10 years. I have been clearing this area the last few days and discovered numerous clumps of what I suspect to be daffodils. I was told that original property owner had planted bulbs along this ditch many years ago. I am the third owner of this property. I don't see any sign that there will be any blooms on these plants this year. I am curious if these bulbs can be salvaged in any way and possibly moved to another area. I haven't damaged the blades and would like to move these if I thought they would bloom next year.

Thanks for any inormation
Claude

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I don't see why they wouldn't. The best thing to do is to let them go through their life cycle where they are now, then dig them up, separate them out and plant them where you want them. The second choice is to move them in the clumps with as much dirt as possible. With the shading gone they should do much better next year.

hmm, large clumps cause smaller bulbs, causing them to cease blooming. I think I would divide the clumps and give them a little room. Fertilize them in the fall.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Woodspirit - I have found dafs to be pretty hardy. I move mine around every year and they continue to come back up and bloom and make more bulbs. If the ones you found don't bloom the first year, don't give up. They may just need to soak up some badly needed sunshine and then they will bloom the following year.

Thumbnail by mstish

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images