Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Fungus gnats on edibles

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm having a problem with what I suspect are fungus gnats. There are only a few of them now, but I want to prevent more from showing up.

The problem seems to have started when I brought home a couple of hosta plants from a garden expo last weekend. The soil they were potted up in was very wet. A few days after I brought the plants home the gnats showed up, so I'm wondering if maybe the larvae traveled with the potted hostas.

I need to control the gnats organically because I have edible herbs growing in the same indoor location (under a light setup in my home office.) Any suggestions? I imagine sticky traps might work for the adults, but how can I control the larvae?

Thanks!

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Just water them with tepid chamomile tea for three days in a row. No more fungus gnats.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

What strength do you make the tea? In other words, how much water with one tea bag?

Thanks.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I use one teabag per mug and let it steep until it is tepid. Something like this I usually use 6-8 teabags in a full teapot and let steep until tepid, squeeze out the bags, and you are good to go.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks. Just one watering and there are fewer gnats, it seems.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

After researching a bit, I've read people saying that mint tea works, too. Thanks for the advice! :)

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

Can I use this mixture in conjunction w/ other fertilizer or should I wait until the gnat problem is under control?

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I would wait a couple days for the plants to recover. They always say not to fertilize if your plants are too stressed.

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks. I am going to get some tea tonight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.