Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: How to stop green moss from growing under lights

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8374280

I'm using the PVC lightstand with shop lights as source for heat to germinate vegetable and flower seeds with great results. Planting in flats of perforated disposable pots. Green mossy stuff is growing on the top of the soil in some pots, not all of them. Is there something I can add to the water to prevent this from developing to begin with or stop it after it has already grown?

Thanks.
trc65
Galesburg, IL

February 15, 2011
11:30 PM

Post #8374545

It sounds like you are having a problem with algae. The only thing you can do is to water less and keep the plants on the dry side. Another thing that will help is to water only from the bottom so the top of the media doesn't get saturated. Having lots of algae can be a problem as it may form a hard crust on top of the soil mix which will inhibit air transfer into the soil and keep the soil overly wet. If this happens, scratch the crust and break it up with whatever size utensil works for you.
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8381039

Have you tried Hydrogen Peroxide? You add 1 Tbls to 1 cup of water and pour it into a spray bottle. Mist the surface every other day or so and it should clear it up. It is also good for misting all your plants once a week or so. I have noticed that the seedlings I mist once a week are doing better than the ones I am not. Don't do it more than that though because it could kill them if you over do it. Also, make sure that you are using NO MORE than 1 Tbls. I have 2 bottles; one is for my problem soil (1 Tbls/1c) and the other is for general use (2 tsp/1c).
I hope that helps.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America