Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: Favorite Food Processor

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 22, Views: 209
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
skeeler
Medina, OH

February 16, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8374988

Help me decide on a new food processor-thanx!
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

February 17, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8377211

I've never felt the need for one. They don't do anything you can't do by hand.
skeeler
Medina, OH

February 17, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8377841

You are absolutely correct, patgeorge, but time in this house is at a premium and I will take any short-cut that comes down the pike. Last food processor was a Black and Decker and not bad at all, it just gave up and was old enough to do so with no complaints from me.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8378672

I've always stuck to Cuisinart..but having cratered one and seeing the same failure coming about with the second one I started checking around. The Kitchen Aid 12 cup processor is highly rated (somewhat lower in price than the Cuisinart) Cooks Illustrated gave it their preference for the second time in their equipment reviews.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2011 8:27 AM
skeeler
Medina, OH

February 18, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8378692

EG-thanks for the recommendation. Will check it out. S.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 2, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8402642

We have an old GE - probably 8-cup - sees very little use.

But we have a B&D Handy Chopper that gets used almost daily.
They are about $10 at the outlet malls.
It is tiny, but for two people it does what we need.

We also have a mandolin for quick same size slices.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8404585

they can be nice to have around. Bosch makes some very versatile units. Cuisinart and Robot Coupe' etc. are big names. You could try reading the reviews (with a critical eye) at Amazon on stuff like that.

If you don't own a mandolin - check out the Zyliss easy-slice or the Boerner V-slicer. It really speeds up certain jobs and there's no electricity or lost counterspace required. Very inexpensive.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 5, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8407622

I had a Cuisinart for 18 years, and just got a KA. I love it.
Sparklebright
Oshawa
Canada

December 29, 2012
2:10 AM

Post #9369601

I have an old Braun that is a tank!
Have had it for at least 10 years.
Use it to make mayo at least once a week.
My husband uses it to make huge batches of bird hatchling food which includes chopping carrots, spinach, whole oats and then whizzing them altogether till they are practically mush.

I also use it for bread crumbs,
Home made Nutella,
Home made Biscoff spread
And whatever inspires me next.

I would use it even more if I had the slicing shredding blades that it comes with.
It seems like its always in the dishwasher.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 1, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9372628

Ok, give up the Biscoff spread recipe. And if it takes the Biscoff cookies, where can one buy them? I can't afford to fly and save them from the airplane. LOL
Sparklebright
Oshawa
Canada

January 2, 2013
7:05 PM

Post #9373668

Hi Anna.
I haven't been able to find Biscoff cookies either but since I have never had the real Biscoff cookies OR spread I was just crazy enough to use gingersnaps.

Biscoff Spread

2 cups broken Biscoff cookies OR gingersnaps.
Process crumbs on high till very fine.
Add 4 tbsp coconut oil melted
2 tbsp veg oil. Anything mild flavored (not olive)
1 tsp vanilla

Process for 3 to 4 minutes and add more veg oil if needed to make a peanut butter consistency.

And just because I like to add my own twist
I add 4 tbsp icing sugar and an 8 ounce brick of cream cheese.

It's not original by any means. But it's mine and I love it.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 2, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9373737

Hm, not much for gingersnaps, but I might have to try it. The "real" spread is sooo yummy. I made Biscoff truffles for Christmas. Rich, rich, rich. :>)
Sparklebright
Oshawa
Canada

January 3, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9374078

Ooo! Sounds yummy!

If you can't find the actual Biscoff cookies I expect you could probably find a copycat recipe online for them.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9374095

I'm unfamiliar with Biscoff but, it seems the products are listed at Amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=Biscoff&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20
texasbelle
Mid Gulf Coast, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9374212

I have found the Biscoff cookies at Walmart - same aisle as the other cookies on the top shelf. Yummers!!!!!

TB
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 3, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9374240

Well, well, that will involve a little investigating.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 7, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9378503

Hi girls,

I'm fairly new to DG, found it by looking up trash to treasure articles. I am slowly going through all the forums and tonight I started on this one. Since I am also thinking about a new processor I had to check it out. Thanks for the pointers and I will investigate further.

However, that is not why I am posting. My interest was peaked with the mention of something I have never heard of - Biscoff cookies. Well I read further and saw your recipe Sparklebright I thought "I have got to try this!" I have always loved ginger snaps. DH and I make crepes with Nutella and this could be an interesting change.

Anyway, I did some more investigation and learned why I never heard of them. I haven't flown in years and that seems to be where most from the US learn about them. I searched and found the most yummy looking recipe for Biscoff Scones here -

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2012/09/12/biscoff-scones/

Then I see several recipes linked here too -

http://pinterest.com/biscoff/biscoff-recipes/

Oh my...I had to stop myself...I could be in trouble they all look and sound scrumptious!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9380987

Welcome to DG, lovetopaint! And what do you love to paint?

Don't forget to check out the recipes forum, too, if you enjoy cooking.

I have a MagiMix food processor and like it a lot, but Cook's Illustrated prefers something else, as does Consumer Reports; I forget which they chose, though.
Sparklebright
Oshawa
Canada

January 12, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9383187

Something I read or heard recently was to choose a food processor that has a straight sided bowl. Reason is that if stuff gets thrown up by the blades on to the side of the bowl it will fall back down into the blades more easily.

But really I just came in to say that I just finished making the most INCREDIBLE toasted coconut macadamia nut butter with my FP!

Oh. You want the recipe you say?

Toasted Macadamia Coconut Butter

3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup macadamia nuts
Pinch of salt

Toast half the coconut in a frying pan while you toast the macadamia nuts in the oven.
Place macadamias on parchment lined pan and toast in 325 oven for 10 minutes. No turning necessary

When cool add all ingredients to food processor with S blade in and process until its buttery smooth.
If you have a food processor that has seen much use you will find that nut butters get smooth much faster if you sharpen the blade.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 12, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9383230

What do you use this butter on? Crackers? Bread? Sounds yummy.
Sparklebright
Oshawa
Canada

January 13, 2013
1:49 AM

Post #9383353

Yes. Yes. And yes.
Will be good with buttered toast and jam.
Warm it a little and have a great fruit dip. Strawberries. Pineapple spears. Mmmmmm.
lbarden547
Kingsville, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9677797

This is kind of off-topic from the original topic of this thread, but I'd like to add my thoughts on the Biscoff products.
The cookies are available in our Walmart. I just had to try them after reading this thread.
And to be perfectly honest, yes, they are good. But they also aren't much different then a good ginger snap, just pricier.
I haven't seen the spread anywhere, so I can't compare it to anything. But I would guess that gingersnaps would substitute very well in the spread recipe. And I just may have to try that! :>)

This message was edited Oct 4, 2013 12:53 PM
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

October 4, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9677811

Sparklebright...could this be made in my vitamix??

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America