Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 16, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8375821

Some garden place sent some Cosmo's flower seeds, well I don't the first thing about Cosmo's. Can someone help.
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8376586

I have had no previous experience with Cosmos but recently started a packet of seed under lights on my PVC lightstand. They germinated almost instantly. Were up and growing within 3 days. But they are the tallest, spindliest little plant I've ever seen, especially since they are only beginning to form their first set of leaves. They are under the same light as my tomatoes and other flowers but I had to keep moving the Cosmos because they grew so fast they would be touching the fluorescent bulb. I don't know if this is the usual growth pattern for Cosmos or not but they sure took off in a hurry !!
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 17, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8376872

I can't grow seeds inside anymore, due to the cats and lack of space.
Kat_M
Merced, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8376977

I'm no expert, but I've grown a lot of Cosmos and have found that they do germinate and grow very quickly, and they will self seed if allowed. Mine are definitely a full sun lovers, so yours may not be getting enough light with grow lights. I generally begin to pinch mine back as soon as they have their second set of true leaves, and they seem to branch out nicely. I give them just a small bit of diluted fertilizer once week after they've gotten several leaves. Their height will depend on cultivar, also. You can get Cosmos that grow anywhere from one to four feet tall. Hope this helps!

Kat
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 17, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8377656

My cosmo seeds are still in the packet until warmer weather. Are these Annuals?

This message was edited Feb 24, 2011 6:32 PM
Kat_M
Merced, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8395318

Yes, roseycats, they are annuals.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 27, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8395462

I'm not very crazy for annuals, but I guess I'll put them under my Colorado Blue Spruce tree

Thanks Kat
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8395909

Rosey: Cosmos, even though they are annuals in your zone, will reseed fairly easily--so in that respect, you won't have to replant often. They do like some sun, though, and get pretty tall so I'm not sure they'll do well under your Blue Spruce tree.

If you have a place in the back of a sunny bed or border (most get pretty tall), they'll be very happy. Cosmos tend to bloom all season, so you'll have lots of color all summer.

If you want to start them ahead of time, but don't have room under your lights, try wintersowing them. Check out the winter sowing forum for lots of good information on how to do this. They'll also do well if you direct sow at the appropriate time for your zone.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 27, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8396081

Thanks Mom2 I guess I'll try them, now I've got to figure out what to plant under neath my tree.
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8396140

You'll be happy with the results, Rosey. They provide so much color over a long period of time. They also make great cut flowers! And they come back every year--how much better does it get?

Try something that likes shade under your Blue Spruce. Perhaps Hostas (so many varieties, and are perennial),
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 27, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8396180

Thanks Mom2, I'll have to give it some thought about the Hostas, and maybe with some shade loving annuals. I have
trouble with a lot of woody weeds. We had a nice day today, but storms are suppose to come in tonight.

Happy Gardening
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8396682

It was beautiful here, today also. It's still 52 degrees at almost 10pm. However, some storms are moving in. My poor yard is so soggy!!!! I walked about today and noticed many plants have heaved themselves out of their spots due to all of the freezing/thawing. Hope all will survive until I can get them replanted.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 28, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8397939

Hi Mom2, I know what you mean about your yard being soggy, I have a couple of plants that heaved up also. Of course my yard has some places that feels like it has sunk while other place feels like it has raised up. Did you make it through the night ok? We had stroms all night, which means we got little sleep. I think we have had enough snow and rain to last us for at least a month. Thank goodness this is the last day of Feb. I saw some new green growth on one my plants yesterday. I cleaned up some dead neddles from my Spruce Tree yesterday, trying to get ready for some plants soon.
Hope you can make sense out of what I'm trying to say.
Ossian, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8406864

Most Cosmos have the most success when planted in situ, outdoors after the last frost. They will get tall and spindly if started indoors. That's good for me, since I never have very much room under my lights. Happy Gardening everyone!
Love,
Ella
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8409163

Well, I have to agree with the advice given here. Last year I wintersowed some and they did fine. It takes longer to come up in the cooler temps, but they come up when they are ready. Also I sowed them where I wanted them. They really do like full sun, or mostly sun if you have it. They are really easy and only require thinning if needed.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8410029

I've always started cosmos indoors 3-4 weeks before planting out, so they will flower sooner than direct sowing. I've never seen much in the way of self sown volunteers even though I've always had them in my gardens, both on the east end of LI in the past and now in CT

Good luck whatever you decide!

Pam
ZSThomp

(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2011
10:37 PM

Post #8518780

I love cosmos. I grow them from seed every year. What I do now with my cosmo seedlings is pinch off the second pair of true leaves, and then pinch off again so they get more bushier.

I would directly sow them outside. As you know, they germinate very easy and they aren't picky.

Z
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2011
3:37 AM

Post #8518847

Just beware that they can get HUGE. I love cosmos and grow it every year but sometime they can get too big. Last year I had stems almost an inch thick.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8519348

I love cosmos ! one of the few things i can grow with no problems, and the bees love them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America