nuclear stress test

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

has anyone here ever undergone this particular test?
would love to know firsthand what to expect.
thanks so much!!!

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

I've had one. They hook you up to electrodes to track your heart - I believe. Then you get on the treadmill. If you can't use the treadmill - they inject you with something that stresses you I guess. The doctor is right by your side the whole time. He is looking at a screen. After that you have the scan - laying on your back. I had mine in a machine - it wasn't the nicest of tests. I had my test in the hospital.

My Dad has his in the doctor's office. A company brings in the machinery. The scan is done while sitting down. His cardiologist said that is his favored type of test. I guess you get to see things much more clearly.

It's been quite a while so I don't have all the details fresh in my memory. I do think you should try for the doctor's office over the hospital. Even with an appointment -the hospital has emergencies and it ended up being a very long test.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I had one about 2 years ago. No treadmill. They hooked up a line to infuse the traceable isotopes in my cv system, and put me in a MRI machine while the chemicals imitated stress. The doctor who did the test was right there, talking to me the whole time. MUCH easier than the treadmill stress tests I've had in the past!

Like for Elsie, the electrodes are standard, the same as getting an EKG.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks elsie and darius!

i actually had the test today.
i'll go over my procedure (leaving out the boring wait times between tests) for anyone else who may be interested. be prepared for 6 hrs. and hopefully yours will be less.

as darius stated, a line is put in and the isotopes injected. there is about an hour of wait time until the dye gets through your system.
the scanner is very similar to an MRI but not quite as confining. the tech called it the gamma camera but it's a huge machine. it moves over your body, taking pictures of the heart in every direction (slice angles too). it took about half an hour.
then i moved on to the electrode hook-ups and the treadmill. i was actually looking forward to the treadmill because i didn't want the artificial stimulus. i wasn't given a choice though; the doctor made the choice to go with the treadmill. the treadmill test took maybe a half hour also and more isotopes were injected in the line during the run.
then i went back to the scanner and had another half hours worth of pictures done.

it's quite possible that different hospitals have slightly different methods; this was just my experience.

anyone wanting to compare prices? i'll tell you that my estimate is a little over 6000. i won't know the final number until i'm billed.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

I do believe the tests done in the doctor's offices are not as expensive. My test actually took two days. I had a panic attack and had to stop -doctor's orders. I never got near the treadmill.

trackinsand, sounds like your procedure went well, hope the results are as good as mine were.

elsie, panic attacks happen to a lot of folks. I wasn't even scheduled for the treadmill; mine was part of the testing to see if I was a good candidate for a transplant. (liver not heart. stay away from garden chemicals, they eat the liver.)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

as far as the doctor could tell, everything is good so far. i'm having an echo at the end of the month and then another meeting with the cardiologist to put all the tests together for a final result. i'm sure i'll be fine but i have been having weird sensations, not really what you'd call chest pains, in the heart area, hence the tests.

i've heard that gardeners have more liver problems, among other health problems, than any other group of people. hopefully we are all learning that organic is best.

we all need to take care of ourselves!

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

The symptoms I had the testing for were actually from menopause.

Here's hoping for the best results!

More than half the women over 50 have mitral valve prolapse. It's not dangerous unless the valve itself collapses, but the symptoms are disconcerting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images