Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: When do you put straw around strawberries?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

February 16, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8376302

When do you put straw around strawberries? Somebody sent me six strawberry plants years ago and now I have an actual patch by default. Too many times I've gone to pick a berry to find a slug has beaten me to the berry.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

swimmer35555
Encinitas, CA

February 16, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8376363

You should put straw around strawberries for a few reasons. 1 the straw will help keep the soil moist so use when really hot. 2. keeps weeds from growing. 3. decomposes and ads to the soil structure

Scott
http://www.wiltedleaf.com
Gardening Q&A

This message was edited Feb 16, 2011 9:16 PM
telosphilos
Little Elm, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8377577

I use cedar mulch pretty much exclusively because it is cheap and readily available here. The organic gardening fanatics tell me it is what is preventing most bugs from getting to my strawberries so you might want to try that. I have never had slugs.

A caveat that I should mention is the birds often get to mine before I do anyhow and it doesn't do anything for ants.
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

February 17, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8377695

Is now a good time to put it down?
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2011
4:52 AM

Post #8380173

I like to wait until the weather warms up a little. Mulch during cold weather gives insects shelter so they will already be in your strawberry patch when they are ready to become active. Also, I put out lids with beer in them in various locations in my strawberries. The slugs (little drunkards) love the stuff. The will crawl in and then are unable to get back out so they drown. This is relatively cheap and an organic approach to your slug problem.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America