Too late to plant bulbs?

Bristol, VA

I know I should have planted in the fall but life was a little hectic then and I forgot all about them. I have tulip and daff bulbs would they be ok to plant now? Will they bloom?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

mp: If it were me, I would go ahead and plant them especially if they're tulips that naturalize. I doubt the tulips will bloom this year. I once called Brent and Becky's Bulbs on delayed bulb planting, and they were very willing to offer advice. So, I guess that is what I would do first.
Don't feel too badly. Many of us have done the same thing. I once found a sack of Calla Lilies in my basement many months too late to plant. Someone had carried them downstairs---out of sight---out of mind. They were dried up--dead.
I just planted out a bunch of Daffodils and Dutch Iris combo about 3 weeks ago. I believe they will make it, but I don't think they will bloom this year.
I wish you the best out come.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Today we planted 525 narcissus that I ordered at a great price in Jan. I knew we would have a thaw and it was today. They may very well bloom this year. I got them from Bleek (eflowergarden) and they were all firm, fat and happy. It is the latest I have ever planted, but a deal is a deal. It wasn't exactly like we needed more bulbs to plant as we already planted 4560 making the final total 5085 Bulbs for the 2010 planting season. Should be pretty. Glad we got them in as the temperature has now dropped and it will be below freezing tonight. Patti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images