Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BRUGMANSIAS........ Ready for Autumn..

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 102, Views: 764
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 17, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8377666

Here we are Chrissy and everyone. A new thread for us with the star of my show at the moment.
.My new golden beauty. Butterbomb. Not a good photo but I had to get her before the rain ruined her.
What a very pretty lady she is. Very large flower and has that stand out look like GHA. No hanging of the head here. Its a dull day and raining, but she is really golden. I will have to run down tonight for the perfume. I find she is a strong grower like GHA and would you believe she is still in a small 8"pot. Has roots going into the ground though. I will be moving her later into a large pot up next to GHA.
Chrissy I am so pleased with her.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 17, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8377677

oops, we came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152520/

A quick photo of Alphonse Mucha just now in the rain. He started to wilt but has revived with the cool and has turned a very pretty apricot at last.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 17, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8377683

Helps if I add the photo. Heres Alphonse , all wet.
jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 17, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8377783

Both lovely Brugs Jean, you will enjoy them in the garden. AM is a tall grower, fab trumpets with curlicue moustaches - the Art Nouveau member of Alistair's collection. :)
You can see in this pic he has grown to 3 m plus. The soil is about 1 m deep, so good conditions.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8377794

Yes he is a lovely Brugmansia but a bit too tall to take pictures of anymore.
He lives in my jungle and I can't stand back far enough to take a shot like that.
Lovely milky honey perfume on warm nights.
Oh and the stunning Butter Bomb ...what more can one say about it!
GOLD!
thanks for opening this thread with such a lovely Angel Jean ...I know you will fall in love with him,
he sets seed pods vey easily and is a very good daddy as well.
A lot of Angels are pollen shy, BB and AM both are generous parents.
Now is probably the right time for you to dab around Jean.
I have no blooms as mine are recovering from a terrible thrashing (hail then heat ) but the new leaves are growing quite rapidly in this rain.
One or two bad 40C days to come here but then I think it will truly be Autumn.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2011 10:01 AM
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 19, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8381476

I received an email from Allan yesterday, clearing up the pollen / pod issue. In both cases, 'Fernando' was the pollen parent. Thank you Cestrum for noting that point. Allan tells me that he has since pollinated ‘Fernando’ with 'Musketeer'. It will be interesting to see what comes from each batch.

Good news also from Allan concerning 'Sister Bertrille', in that she is "blooming in constant flushes!!" :)))

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 19, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8381536

Heres the golden girl Butterbomb, today, now that the sun has come out.
Chrissy, I have to laugh as I read our posts. The way we call our babies him or her. I see GHA as a definite male, but Butterbomb , to me is a golden girl. Elfin, of course is a girl, while Frosty is a boy. Arent we all a bit mad ?
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 19, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8381556

Butter Bomb was worth the wait...It's really beautiful, Jean.
Before I went away, I noticed a little bug on one of my last seasons Brug seedlings...there were about 4 that I could see.
I didn't touch them, not knowing whether they were goodies/baddies.
When I came back they had eaten their way thru the calyx of Pink Panther, Buck's Fizz and Bruce's Pink...they were on their way to Zabaglione...There were dozens of them on each plant and romance was certainly a priority after food.
These plants were in the garden, a distance of about 6 mtrs in total...nothing else in between was touched...they didn't eat Brug corollas
either...but they sure made a mess of those calyx.
The outer shell of the bug was very hard...they couldn't be squashed so out came the big guns in the form of a selective spraying of Maxguard...I had tried greener repellents...no effect...even Eucalyptus oil didn't deter them...

The plants flowered very well even with all the holes in their calyx...
Does anyone know what the are?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 19, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8381577

This is the first flowering for me of Adéle Essex...Very pretty...and yes Jean...they are one or the other...she is definitely a girl..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 19, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8381666

Potato beetle Dianne.

http://www.potatobeetle.org/overview.html

This message was edited Feb 20, 2011 3:16 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 19, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8381707

Eeeeewww. Dianne, I don't want any of those up here thank you. My main problem is slugs but they really dont do a lot of damage as I keep the snail pellets around the plants. I have had the spider mites but they are not bad this year. Maybe it was too humid for them or maybe the brugs are just getting bigger and better able to get over the attacks. I do use either eucalyptus oil or white oil on them.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2011
10:21 PM

Post #8381770

Oh dear ...potato bug is such a horrible little beast!

I squish them and then go searching for any eggs.
The baby ones hide in poop, so as gross as it sounds, that poop must come off.
AE is very beautiful Dianne so pretty with both white and pink effect, delicious tendrils.

For me the Brugs ... yellow and orange are the boys and the pinks are girls ...white being almost a spiritual persona.
Butter Bomb is a very flamboyant male ...
Lovely pics Jean I knew you would love BB, what's not to love.

SB is has lost her buds three times due to various outragious weather events here (golf ball hail being one) but she is over 6ft and dying to put on a show here too Wayne,
hopefully it won't be long before this weather calms down.

Terrible heat again yesterday and today ...change on the way they say but it will bring bad wind.
Sigh it's just the gardeners lot sometimes.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

IMCANADIAN
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3a)

February 20, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8382771

[quote="chrissy100"] ...white being almost a spiritual persona.
[/quote]

I love the way you think!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 21, 2011
12:39 AM

Post #8383577

Chrissy certainly missed her calling..IMCANADIAN...there is a poet laureate hiding in there...

Thanks Wayne..for the ID on those bugs...also I forgot to say that your Buddleia/butterfly pic on the other thread is lovely.
Chrissy on one your posts you mentioned that a couple of the seeds that I sent you have survived...hooray..lets hope you have some good fortune with them.

Got a surprise with Zabaglione this flush...last time the flowers were white fading to cream...this time they changed to apricot and they looked just like Old Apricot only smaller...I love it's perfume so different to OA for instance.
Here it is in it's apricot colouring.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 21, 2011
12:54 AM

Post #8383578

Here is Old Apricot...the Zabs are darker apricot now, very close to OA.

A couple of months back, I asked if anyone knew why Alistair named Clementine as he did...over Christmas I was looking at a fruit tree catalogue
and there it was...Clementine the Mandarin...I had not associated the name with a colour, naming his others as he had...I was looking for something far more exotic...If anyone can confirm this please let me know...it certainly sounds reasonable to me.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2011 8:09 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 21, 2011
1:21 AM

Post #8383588

Dianne did you know one of it's parents is a pretty pink ...if you look there is a faint pinky rinse overwash in the "apricot"
Here she is
http://www.kwekerijgommer.com/details/Brugmansia/321000/
and we all know the Apricot Queen
http://www.junglegardens.co.uk/PlantOrders/contents/en-uk/d16.html

Alistair called that colour 50's pink (remember the pink tiles and bathroom fittings)
I think Zabaglione is a real sweet Brug and like it's sibling Alphonse Mucha sets seed pods very well and has generous pollen.
Oh I can't wait for my blooms to come back ...little buds starting up on them now ^_^

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 21, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8385667

I certainly remember the bathroom fittings Chrissy...our first house had them in just that pink.
My Brugs from the seeds you gave me last year, are nearly 180cm now...big strong growers...3 of them... the Sugar Pink x Zabaglione crosses...has anyone had this cross flower yet?
The others aren't nearly as tall...

Another great flush on Buck's Fizz...that really is a beauty...isn't it.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 21, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8385676

I can see where the flounce in Butter Bomb came from in that picture. Lovely.
50's pink bathrooms. aka Miami pink. (we had one growing up).
http://savethepinkbathrooms.com/
I have seen that pink rinse over the Zabaglione and AM.
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2011
11:27 PM

Post #8385708

Hi everybody,

I hope you are registering your disapproval of the draft legislation proposing to ban the cultivation of Brugmansia... (not to mention many many wattles) You can send a form letter via this site (as I see has been discussed in another thread).

http://www.gardenfreedom.com/

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 22, 2011
12:21 AM

Post #8385724

Mine's in...

Welcome back Alistair...you are just in time to answer my question...Was Clementine so called because it is the colour of a Clementine mandarin?...please say yes as I have given this subject a lot of thought...lol.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 22, 2011
1:27 AM

Post #8385734

Hi Alistair ...welcome back.

Dianne to quote Alistair
" ‘Clementine’ has a delicious smell of orange and marzipan. "
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 22, 2011
3:20 AM

Post #8385776

Alistair welcome home. I hope that your trip went well and that you enjoyed yourself. Re the ban on the brugs and cacti etc. Maybe I'm being a little naive here but don't you think that USA, England and everywhere else in the world would be banning these too? I haven't heard a peep about it in the C&S site. Do you really think that the Gov could, or rather would, take so many livelihoods, and there would be thousands in Australia, away just like that. I might be eating my words down the track, but I can't see it happening. It all smacks of propaganda to me. Colleen
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8385835

Thanks Dianne! Actually Clementine is named after a great aunt!

Colleen it is sadly not propaganda but in clear black and white in draft legislation put out for pubic comment (by March 11). It includes, besides brugmansias and some cacti, the banning of the possession or sale of all species of plant containing DMT (dimethyltryptamine). What this directly implies is that the possession of even one plant of a great many species of native Australian wattle which contain DMT could result in imprisonment! Do not be complacent about this simply because it seems unbelievable. It is there in black and white!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 22, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8386098

I would dare anyone to try and drag me into court because I grow a plant that I love.
Let them try!
I was listening to some audio re Brugs, and people talk about them as though you will drop dead if you sniff one.
What rubbish! How many of you out there have had bad reactions to growing the Brugs apart from some not liking the heavy scent because they are migraine prone.

Even in books written by so called experts there are pictures of orange arboreas for example, pictures of Daturas shown as Brugmansias and all sorts of mistakes.

I have had Brugs for over 25 years in my gardens ...never had a bad reaction though I am allergic to some brands of soaps and shampoos, aspirin and some other meds.

Nor has anyone to the best of my knowledge ever tried to take some pieces for anything other than for growing another beautiful plant from my garden.
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind/stories/2010/3092672.htm
Listen to the audio in it.
To me even these "experts" are very unfamiliar with the real thing.
I am certainly no expert but I bet you everyone here in this forum knows more about the every day handling of Brugmansias than most of them.
We aren't natives living in a jungle, we are Australian gardeners.

That is not to say you shouldn't take care, just be sensible, after all our gardens are full of poisonous plants and insects.

This is about drugs, these issues they are talking about, and it is about intention of using the things mentioned as drugs.

We are gardeners pure and simple.

I will start packing my bag for jail when they ban booze,cigarettes and cola drinks.
Until then I will continue to grow my beautiful plants.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 22, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8386542

Thank you Alistair.
At last something sensible to go on out of this mess!

>I hope you are registering your disapproval of the draft legislation proposing to ban the cultivation of Brugmansia... (not to mention many many wattles) You can send a form letter via this site (as I see has been discussed in another thread).

http://www.gardenfreedom.com/

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 22, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8386671

As I said higher up, I can't see that "they" will do this. Ban our National Emblem? I don't believe that I'm being complacent, just logical. As Chrissy said, we're gardeners. Colleen

This message was edited Feb 23, 2011 5:48 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 22, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8386735

Chrissy, I'm like you. I'm not giving up my brugs or any other plant either. I suppose next they will come and take all our daffodils etc.
The powers that be that bring up these ridiculous suggestions, should be getting out there and working on the real drugs that are affecting people by the millions.
Are they going to go through the entire country and rip up half the forests because they think someone will misuse a tree.
Will we lose out tomatoes rhubarb etc, too. After al, they have toxic parts.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 22, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8386744

Jean, The people who are misusing these plants will find something else to extract the drug out of. Are they going to ban potatoes. Have a think!!!!!!. I think that they should make these idiots get a real job and do some hard work for a change. It sounds to me as though they've been sampling each plant. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 23, 2011
12:02 AM

Post #8387651

Well said Colleen...lol
Hope everyone who is going to, has registered their protest.

Sorry that I mistook your aunt for a mandarin...Alistair...She must be a special lady for such a special flower.

Question re Knightii...mine nearly all finish up with stained flowers before they drop...it's the only one that does this...Does anyone else have this problem...the skirt gets badly stained too.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 23, 2011
12:11 AM

Post #8387655

Hi Dianne. My Clementine does that. I've never taken any notice if any others do, but I thought it was caused from the rain. I still haven't got a Knightii with buds. Still waiting. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 23, 2011
12:44 AM

Post #8387664

The blooms don't like water.
When watering try not to wet the trumpets, just water the growing medium.
They don't die off very elegantly but a gentle tug on the bloom should take it off.
A lovely thing.
Edited to say that I am talking about Knightii ...Knightii blooms don't like rain on them.
Try not to water blooms themselves when it will be hot because it may cook the blooms and steam the inner part of doubles.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2011 6:46 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 23, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8389482

The Knightii cutting that I gave you Colleen, was the other part of the branch that mine has grown from...so it shouldn't be far away.

Knightii is growing under a verandah in a pot, Chrissy...so my husband probably gives it a hose every now and again...He denies it but It's more than likely the case...any of them in pots that flower, I bring under the verandah so I can see them and more importantly, let the perfume waft in...Clementine will be in again soon...

My seeds from Alan via Chrissy are growing very well...there are so many different crosses that I am waiting to see flower...they will probably be white but I can't wait.
Alan's Fernando is growing like a weed...it's about 4ft tall..no sign of buds though...Hi Alan, if your'e looking in...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 23, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8389540

Alan's Brug seems to be moving quickly now we finally have had some sun that isn't killer sun.

Wayne the seedlings are almost 3ft high now ...amazing how different the leaves are ... there are some yummy Jurassic ones ... and some very dark velvet ones too.
Can't wait.
Some Brugs in full sun are struggling slowly but you can see they are pricking up their leaves and noticing that the Autumn is nigh ...hmmm hopefully it will be more friendly than the previous seasons these last 7/8 months.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8390702

Heres Butterbomb this morning. Not a great pic, but its a bit dull and foggy out there. The flowers are about 10"long and about 7"wide at the opening. Lovely tendrils but they are starting to fade a bit now. Chrissy, Butterbomb may nearly be my second favorite as she has her perfume wafting around right up until lunchtime here. I walked down this morning and was hit by the beautiful scent before I was close. I can imagine her next to GHA , both in flower at the same time. I may move her up to be near him.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8390706

This is Frosty this morning. Just opening and a lovely pink to start off. Usually he has been a bit paler at opening , but this is a good year for the brugs. This is his second flush so far this year.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8390712

This is the Colin noid from you Chrissy. A small plant still but growing well. He had one flower last year and has 2 so far this year. Very pretty pink.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8390717

One of the three seed pods on my 44. Perfect Harmony X The Chief. ( daddy is GHA)

This message was edited Feb 25, 2011 9:45 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 24, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8391015

The seed pods are very exciting Jean ...good luck with them.
Are these your first ever seed pods?
When I had my very first seed pods I clucked over them like a mother hen. It seemed to take forever for them to ripen ...in fact 4/5 months.
tic toc tic toc ...should be ready by late Autumn perhaps.
They stop growing/or slow right down in the Winter but start up again in Spring.
Now what do you think ... is Colin's Pink noid the same as Frosty Pink or Crinoline (maybe all the same)?
To my eye Crinoline is a bit different but very similar ...while Colin's pink noid looks like Frosty Pink.
A mystery.

Ahh the stunning Butter Bomb just wait until he is a bit older and has constant flushes of the big fragrant blooms ...mmm.
GHA and BB scent the whole morning garden. ^_^
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8391101

Hello Chrissy. Colin noid is not like my frosty. Its a prettier, real pink. Frosty tends to turn a bit orangy as he ages.
Yes these are my first pods. I wander down each day to look at them. While I was down there this morning, I dusted Frosty with pollen from Butterbomb. Couldn't resist. Butterbomb is just like GHA with lots of pollen. They must be related . Both very aurea types, to me anyway.. Same sturdiness, similar color, similar lovely strong and long lasting scent. Both stand out and look you in the eye, no drooping softies these two, but BB is definitely a bigger flower.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 24, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8391155

Jean, you have a lovely lot of apricot/oranges in your cross...and all that perfume.

Your GHA is growing very strongly here and it's little pot mate is putting on good growth too now...I will put GHA into the garden and keep the small one for a pot...

Dianne

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 25, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8392383

Wait until he flowers Dianne. You will love him even more. Make sure you put him where you will catch that perfume all the time. My big one is still in his pot near the back veranda shadehouse, so I smell him all the time he is out.
I may have to turn him out next Spring and refresh the mix. Probably has roots in the soil by now . The pot is about 18"high and 20"across. He seems to be very happy in it. The other is in the ground and died right off in the frost but is up around 18"again.. I checked on the Colin noid yesterday evening and he has darkened to be more like Frosty.
Jean.
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8392713

[quote="Seachanger"]This is the first flowering for me of Adéle Essex...Very pretty...and yes Jean...they are one or the other...she is definitely a girl..
[/quote]

I missed this.. Congratulations. Mine haven't flowered yet this season :(

I you water with dolomite powder in the water, it seems to darken the pink...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 25, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8393158

Thanks Alastair, will do...what rate should I use...a pinch to 9 litres?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 26, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8394402

What a difference a day or two makes. Now I see how similar Frosty and Colin noid are Chrissy. I also now have trees with flushes of blooms. Maybe next year they will look a bit more like big trees . The brugs are liking Autumn and have grown so much but I don't think I will get more making a Y this season. Still, they are growing bigger . Heres Frosty and Butterbomb.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 26, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8394403

Colin noid this morning as well.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 26, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8394404

Frosty Pink again.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

kazza22
Gold Coast
Australia

February 26, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8394904

Hi everyone, have been looking in occassionally, with nothing to summit as since christmas, none of my Angels have been flowering with this blessed weather. Here on the Gold Coast is has been raining with high humidity then scorching sun. I have felt like I had been bitten by a Tsetse fly, zapped of any energy to get out in the garden.

I had a walk around a minute ago, after reading all of you have buds again & flowers opening, to my surprise, Matilda has buds on her again, and so has Lipstick. It seems ages since I had any flowers. Clementine had 1 lot of flowers at Christmas but nothing since. Adéle Essex is still yet to flower.

Dianne, my Sugar Pink x Zabaglione crosses along with all the other eedlings from Xmas 2009 are growing tall and strong, but are yet to have any flowers, or to "y" in some cases.

"OT". Cestrum, had been reading another old forum on Blue & Red Jade plants which you contributed to. At that time no one seemed to have seeds from the plants. Do you know if anyone has had luck in producing seeds now. I was hoping to get some and have found it hard to find any on the web.v Karen
kazza22
Gold Coast
Australia

February 26, 2011
10:22 PM

Post #8394906

Sorry, meant Blue/Red Jade vine plant.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2011
1:54 AM

Post #8394969

OT Kazza but that indeed would be a beautiful dream.

It's difficult for even the best gardeners to even flower those lovely Jade blooms, let alone produce seeds.
Mya probably would be the only successful one with that.
I could be wrong though.
As mentioned before many Brugs shut down for the Summer and wake up in the Autumn.
It won't be long now.

Lovely pictures Jean.

Dianne check your PH before you do anything.
If it's too acidic just sprinkle a bit of garden lime over the wet surface of the soil just like you would lightly sprinkle a bit of icing sugar on a tea cake. water again.
The PH should be around 6 ish.
If soil is too high in PH cow manure mulch is good for a mild reaction.
The Brugs are pretty tough.
Don't do it on a hot day and if you can do it on a rainy day all the better.
http://jersey.uoregon.edu/~mstrick/AskGeoMan/geoQuerry50.html

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 27, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8396903

OK Chrissy...will do.

Nice to hear from you Karen...sorry about the lack of flowers from your Brugs.
I'm sure they will start producing pretty soon.
Now that the milder weather is here.
Those babies certainly are strong growers aren't they...none of mine have Y'd either...I love looking in the centre to see what is happening,
but now I can't reach...so it will be a surprise when it happens.

Here is Zabaglione again

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 27, 2011
9:46 PM

Post #8396990

Woweeee Dianne. He's a beauty. I haven't had him flower here yet but Brian had a lovely show on his last year. Colleen
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 27, 2011
10:09 PM

Post #8397013

[quote="77sunset"]What a difference a day or two makes. Now I see how similar Frosty and Colin noid are Chrissy. I also now have trees with flushes of blooms. Maybe next year they will look a bit more like big trees . The brugs are liking Autumn and have grown so much but I don't think I will get more making a Y this season. Still, they are growing bigger . Heres Frosty and Butterbomb.
Jean[/quote]

A gardener friend who's name is Colin gave me that plant several years ago. At the time we all thought it was 'Frosty Pink'. Colin had kept a few cuttings for me that would have otherwise been destined for the tip. I grew out a cutting in the garden here. My mother visited one day when this plant was out in full bloom and commented how pretty it was. I knew she had 'Frosty Pink' in her own garden, so invited her to grow Colin's plant and compare. Yes, there is a difference. I can't tell which is which and do not try to! :)
My mother of course knows the difference because 'Frosty Pink' is down by the creek and 'Colin' grows near the back gate. :)
Both are lovely.
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2011
11:48 PM

Post #8397038

[quote="Seachanger"]Thanks Alastair, will do...what rate should I use...a pinch to 9 litres?[/quote]

I just chuck a 6" pot full in a dustbin of water and keep refilling it and stirring it up. Alternatively use a level scoop (like out of a packet of miracle grow) per 9 litre watering can. The exact amount is unimportant as its is very INsoluble and just gradually releases calcium and magnesium. You don't have to do it each time you water, just every now and then...

It won't improve current flower colour but you may find it improves the next flush..

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 28, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8399190

[quote="WayneCarter"

My mother of course knows the difference because 'Frosty Pink' is down by the creek and 'Colin' grows near the back gate. :)
Both are lovely. [/quote]

Naturally she knows, Wayne...A mother can always tell which baby is which...lol

Thanks Alistair...I will try that on Colleen's Riverland Frosty Pink as well...

Judy, if you are reading any of these threads, your Tantra has buds and it's only 30cm high...waiting on Domain now.

I have lots of potting up to do tomorrow...some of those babies are really shooting up.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 1, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8400750

Well I think there are at least two different but similar Frosty Pinks.
But I will leave that alone. ^_^
SIGH ...My poor FFA is putting out some leaves and buds again but you have to wonder after having the leaves hailed off then burnt off what sort of blooms one could expect.
Sorry picture quality is awful asit is very dark and grey out there.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 1, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8400766

My poor Angels have really suffered this year.
The hail stones not only wrecked the leaves and smaller branches but left dreadful scars on the limbs and trunks.
I don't think there will be the usual Autumn display thisyear and that's sad.

I hope there are others out there I can look at, I am very much looking forward to the new seedling blooms.
Look here, even some of my protected seedlings are (three days I couldn't inspect the leaves for green grubs) are not really safe, this is the green grub damage.
Unless you can really inspect and squish those little munchers they can do massive damage overnight.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 1, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8400774

Never mind even if Winter is too cold again this year ...there is next Spring to look forward to.
Past Spring shot ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 2, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8403006

My first flowers are out on Sugar Pink, grown from a cutting that Chrissy sent in the first lot of cuttings. It's very pale but oh the perfume. Nothing like the others but beautiful. Sorry I can't put up a pic because my camera still isn't working. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 2, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8403448

Sugar pink is usually pale Colleen it makes seed pods very easily,
Monika said to cross it to Zabaglione (which I did).

One of those babies is the same long sleeved bloom but has a definate Apricot/Peach colour.
Sugar pink does not make flushes while the zabaglione does.

I enjoy Sugar pink because she almost always has a few blooms.
She has a fair bit of Aurea in her.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8404692

The autumn flushes are beginning, despite the late surge of heat.
Here's my apricot seedling bed. You can see flowers on all three seedlings--they're virtually identical. (The dead foliage the old dried fronds on my asparagus that I haven't gotten around to pruning.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8404694

Elfin Pink.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8404696

Alistair Pink#2. I've thrown out all the white seedlings from this batch but am keeping this one.
Good flushes of flower, strong grower, scented.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8404700

Now for the yellows: Dr Seus X, one single flower, yet to colour fully (taken last night, before the rain). Yet I like it.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8404702

And good old Golden Butter, finally reviving after being shoved into the middle of the murraya hedge.
These are the pure yellow of its warm-weather flowers.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8404705

Ah no, that was Golden Butter but the photo was taken in January.
Here's the one taken yesterday--much lighter colour, although will probably darken as the flower ages.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2011 6:32 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8405366

Have a look at this two-toned double brug: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/brug/msg0208242323718.html?10

Not sure if it's pretty or just weird, but definitely fascinating. Wish I knew its parentage, but apparently it was bought from a nursery.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2011 12:33 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8405547

Ecuador Pink, probably only the second flush (is three a flush?) of flowers since early spring.
So, not a good bloomer for me. I find it needs a lot of attention--both lots of rain and fertiliser during the warm months. I think it's best as a breeder for me.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 3, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8405612

What a treat!
beautiful cestrum you must be chuffed.
Love them all
Certainly an AWE! WOW moment when the beautiful Angel parade starts up.

Love the one in the link too
One of my singles had that gradual colour speckle creep look on the first day.
It did turn a pretty pink the next day but the blossom was trashed sadly.
By the snail in the picture,
longest tendrils on any of them.
OOPs the tendrils on the seedling not the snail *half asleep here* (edit)

This message was edited Mar 4, 2011 2:11 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8405631

Was that bloom from its first flush, Chrissy? Because it would be interesting to see how it changes in subsequent flushes. Do you know the parentage?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 3, 2011

Post #8405750

What a pretty thing, Chrissy...you must have lots of beauties coming into flower now...I miss FFA and Heart of Gold and all your others...

Lovely shot of Golden Butter, cestrum...your garden must be looking very pretty now with the Brugs and others coming into flower..

Colleen, I'm still using my grandaughter's camera...The thought of having to choose a camera has gone into the too hard basket.

I haven't even put mine in to see if it is the sensor...oh well...sooner or later..

That William certainly comes up with some amazing Brugs...even when he buys them...I think I like it...but it would look unusual in the garden...still I could find somewhere for it...lol

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 3, 2011
10:23 PM

Post #8405751

It was not a flush because the buds had dropped off in bad weather.
So far lost three flushes and waiting for the current buds to grow some more.
It's been wind and hail/heat/cold ...can't always have it our own way can we?
Never seen such a terrible season for Brugs since I have been growing them.
Here in my area anyway.
It is an Earth Angel x Pink Smitty.
The hail took out the growing tips in three of them (Earth Angel Crosses) ...very distressing because they are really special.
Never mind next Spring will be /better be ... better.
I see Dianne has a lovely display too,
I am delighted for you both.
To think you are now having a display of your own crosses cestrum, what a success!
Not to mention your stunning double !
Well done.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 3, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8405757

Dianne- Chocolate Brug's beautiful brug would have matured into a solid colour like my speckled one did.
They do that sometimes, it's only funny weather, messes around with the colour coming straight out.
Earth Angel hybrids are the only ones to do it here in my garden.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 3, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8405764

Dianne I am still getting bud drop because of heat in the day time, usually with wind.
One Winter my Brugs bloomed all Winter, but last Winter/Spring/Summer has been awful.
Better times ahead.
Last years Earth Angel cross number one.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 3, 2011
10:43 PM

Post #8405767

EA cross 2 last year

Thumbnail by chrissy100

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 4, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8407308

That two-toned double pink in the link... the second corolla just hasn't coloured up yeah?

Would be very neat if it stays like that...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 4, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8407335

Chrissy's right: the Honeymoon brug does turn a solid pink as the bloom matures. You can see a pic of it from the nursery it was bought from: http://www.countrygdn.com/orderbrugF.html

But I do remember seeing two-tone brugs (perhaps here on the brug forum in DG) that I think kept their two colours. Can't readily find a link right now, though.
kazza22
Gold Coast
Australia

March 6, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8410706

Yipee! I have flowers, this is Matilda on Saturday morning. Karen

Thumbnail by kazza22

kazza22
Gold Coast
Australia

March 6, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8410747

And today at a different angle. I planted Matilda on a slope near the front of the house.
Afew days back I slipped down the slope on the leaf mulch, come to a standstill 2' away from a brown snake, which was keeping an eye on me. I had to slowly turn my back on it and get on all fours to get up and pull myself back up the slope. All the while he just kept watching me. If they think you are a threat they will strike so I had to make sure I did nothing to aggravate him. I know he lives there now and have to be careful when gardening around there.

The Lipstick buds are developing but not opening as yet. Karen.

Thumbnail by kazza22

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 6, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8411041

Matilda is pretty but that snake ... what can I say? I'm from Melbourne and I find that very scary! (Read a book recently where the Brisbane-raised author mentioned that his Sydney-raised wife was horrified by the wildlife that passed over, thru and above their Brisbane house--I'm with her LOL)

Last call for seeds from my Big Floppy Apricot pods.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 7, 2011
12:46 AM

Post #8411279

Cripes ! well you can keep the snake!
The brugs are lovely though.
Talk about a serpent in paradise.

Cestrum I have had family beg me to move to Bundy but noooo way I am not too keen on the wild life.
My cousin is always telling me about the cane toads and other adventures in her garden ...red bellied blacks are enough for me thanks.
But I can look at the gardens from a safe distance.
Cyber distance!
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2011
3:42 AM

Post #8411351

This is a white seedling Candida from Ecuador. The flowers are small (about 18 cm) but a very pretty shape I think, and they stand up all through the day. 100% completely and utterly mite resistant!!

Thumbnail by Alistair

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2011
3:46 AM

Post #8411355

Good grief Karen. I have black snakes and they are alarming enough for me!
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

March 7, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8412180

Sounds and looks like a winner Alistair.

Those mites seem to sniff out anything I have taking shape with aurea in it. The trial nursery is next to a wasteland allotment, so at least the seedlings are exposed to a variety of pests.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 7, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8412503

Chrissy, I am still watching my 3 pods and they are growing very large. Getting longer now as they were short and fat at first. I do hope they have viable seeds eventually. I was surprised yesterday when I pulled the old flowers from Bruce noid and the stamens were still full of pollen.His flowers turned a real orange on the ends as they were dying. Frosty's flowers go a bit orange but not as much. Butterbomb has finally given up her flowers too. They hung on for a while just like GHA. I think I may get a few more on her yet. I have some tiny buds showing on the Candida X.
Alistair, it isnt too bad for bugs here. I see holes in leaves, but not enough to worry about. Having no snails at all does help but we do have heaps of slugs. I keep snail pellets around the bases of the plants. At the moment there are lots of some brown flying bug on everything.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 8, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8415061

Plants are amazingly receptive to changes in the season, aren't they? Look at this Aztec Gold flower this morning: I almost mistook it for Bucks Fizz. It has a distinct orange tint to the skirt.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 8, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8415069

Brug seedlings about to be potted up.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 8, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8415093

Here's my double pink seedling in its third flush of flowers. The first flush all had those long dropped skirts; the second had what I call a normal inner skirt; and this flush has 50% of each. Here's one of the long dropped-skirt flowers.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2011 9:47 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 8, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8415094

And here's one (on the same plant) with what I call a normal skirt.
I wonder whether it will have a mix of skirt types or whether it will have predominantly one, perhaps throwing the other type only occasionally?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 8, 2011
9:33 PM

Post #8415753

hi cestrum yes the skirts drop sometimes because of the temps.
I have found some drop better in the cooler evenings while some drop the skirts in the warmer times, Twilight Time for example always gives me two distinct skirts no matter what, while holding a third scrunched up inside, she drops her third skirt in warmer temps in fact she did that in a heatwave.
The newer yellow is what we call a semi double because it has the scrunched inner skirt, it's about to have another flush so I am waiting to see what it will do in perhaps cooler temps.
We have had so little sunshine, I see such a difference when the sun is missing for such a prolonged period.
I am watching something very strange at the moment, it's a double not open yet but soon maybe tomorrow, the "the strange" is it's a Star Dancer cross (open pollinated) the only double mentioned in the possible crosses (open pollinated) was one called Golden Lady.

this one
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/59399/

The owner of the one in the picture is the lovely lady I bought the seeds from.
It seems impossible but I thought that about a few of the double seedlings.

That little Candida looks like a single Knightii Alistair (in the picture at least).
How exciting to come across them in their own environment.

cestrum part of the magic with the Brugmansias is watching the many "faces" of the brugs through the seasons and conditions.

The doubles get better with a bit of maturity. Yours is lovely already so just sit back and enjoy the fashion parade.

Jean keep watching your pods, I hope they hold plenty of fat happy little seeds.

Lovely pics everyone.

Autumn usually heralds the best flushes of all, I am still waiting for mine and it's a joy to watch yours until then.
Here were the triple skirts dropping in the heat.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 8, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8415755

Doubles in more normal weather

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 8, 2011
9:49 PM

Post #8415765

What I love about your double is the light inner skirt, which then darkens.
Mine so far have either been darker in the centre or a solid colour.
Thought of a possible name yet?

This is the very solid waxy yellow, I have an idea it may go orange in the cooler weather.
But then maybe lighter who knows ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

March 8, 2011
10:06 PM

Post #8415781

Dry as a Sao here... When will we get some real rain? Alphonse is in full bloom, however limp as. Put him on a drip to re-hydrate! :)
Your double looks fun Cestrum. Looking forward to your seedlings coming on here.
Dianne, I spoke too soon... Potato Beetles on the nursery plants! I have squashed the lot.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 8, 2011

Post #8415783

Dry here too Wayne despite grey sky full of cloud every day.
I haven't had very many potato beetles this year but it's still early days, maybe they took one look at my mostly naked and torn brugs and moved on. I did squish hundreds last year.

Some rotten big stick thing is eating the buds off FFA which had a flush ready to go. :(
This is really the first year I have had things really attack buds and pods.
I suppose any time you have lots of the same thing together that spells buffet to the munchers, as specially when you don't use poisons. Most of the ground covers I had were killed off or ripped to the ground level in the hail.I had mixed ground covers in the hope it may confuse the little bug*ers, some seemed to work but they gobbled up the basil before starting on the Brugs.
Still after seeing poor frozen brugs over in the international forum I count my blessings.
Next season will be better.
Fingers crossed any way.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

March 8, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8415812

>I had mixed ground covers in the hope it may confuse the little bug*ers, some seemed to work but they gobbled up the basil before starting on the Brugs.<

LOL

What gets me Chrissy is the huge damage done overnight by one tiny caterpillar to a seedling!:(

We are suckers for punishment! :)))
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 8, 2011
11:58 PM

Post #8415821

I see that I'm not the only one suffering the wrath of the green wrigglers. They're terrible aren't they? Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 9, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8415912

And after a couple of days going undetected, they end up BIG FAT CATERPILLARS and I'm left with a skeletonised Brug...ooooh it makes one very cross...

Wayne, aren't those potato beetles yukky...I can't squash them, they are like little Armadillos...I have to spray...I have never seen them before this year and boy, can they damage the Brug buds.

What is that beautiful yellow one,Chrissy?
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

March 9, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8416555

However, all is not woe here! :)
Datura metel this year is pest free for a change. This plant is notorious for attack by most of the creepies its cousin Brugmansia succumbs to. We grow this as an annual. Looks like there will be lots of seed forming this year, so give a yell if anyone wants some.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

March 9, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8416558

Datura metel in the garden.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

March 9, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8416575

Those seedlings I mentioned. :(

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 9, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8416807

Hey follow me over here ^_^ Wayne beautiful ...I know what you mean about green grubs.
Finally a picture ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1163279/

Thumbnail by chrissy100

SOOKYCHOOKY
brisbane
Australia

May 21, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9132466

hi i also grow these wonderful plants now for over 20 years and love them. have most colours and see a lot of your photos have bugs and grub problems. have you tried rogor. i use this every month and have no problems then with bugs , as you know every known bug loves the brugs, i think they get a high from them. but Rogor seems to work for me . i use it very weak not full strength as it pretty potent as you might remember the older version. hope this helps you. also the new fernando is it as pink as they say. i have red hot pink and it only that coulour for one day , then changes to a burnt orange pinky colour ans well as the hot pink, in winter its pale pink. any thought would help me out

Thumbnail by SOOKYCHOOKY   Thumbnail by SOOKYCHOOKY
Click an image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 21, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9132485

Sooky chooky, we are now over here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257685/

Sorry the heading doesnt have brugmansia in it so a bit hard to find for anyone new.
Join us over there .
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 21, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9132976

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1259956/

Jean, I started a new one so Sooky Chooky or any other lookers could find us...
Brugmansias...it's almost winter..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America