Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Computer Talk: Camera and computer refuse to cooperate

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 42, Views: 217
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8377784

I have Windows XP, IE 8, Picasa. Haven't had any major problems until now.

I tune in to Picasa, hook up the cable to the camera, turn the camera on (all as usual) but no screen comes up asking me where I want the photos to go. The USB screen does appear on the viewing screen at the rear of the camera.

Any help would be appreciated. I have rebooted and still have the same problem.

Thanks!
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8377843

I cannot give you a good answer but just point you in a direction. I had issues like that when I ran XP. There is a function in 'default programs' where you can set how software such as cameras would be opened. I has been some time since I switched from XP to Vista so I cannot give the exact steps to you.

Obviously, make certain your camera batteries are fully charged.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8377854

Thank you. I don't know how to get to default programs.

Batteries work - I can take photos, just not download them.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8377870

pirl,

when you connect your camera, does the computer see it as a 'drive' that is attached?
Meaning - can you see if if you open My Computer, or do you get that window that pops up asking what you want to do with it...

Like this... [attached image]

I'll then click to open the folder and copy and paste the images into a folder.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8377876

My Vista displays are probably different than your XP but surely someone has XP and can guide you. Sometimes I had to turn my camera off then back on while it was connected thru the USB cable. I have had to do this 2 or 3 times for the camera to make the connection. It all has to do with the 'auto play' or auto opening function.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8377959

tcs - no, it doesn't recognize the camera. No screen comes up such as your photo where I normally use Picasa to store photos.

Thanks OGR but I've tried removing the cable, reattaching, turning camera off in between, turning the camera on and off when that screen tcs showed didn't come on as it normally does.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8377996

Did the camera come with a disc? =)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8378028

Yes but that's a Fuji program and I use Google's Picasa. Does that make a difference? Could it be the camera?
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8379458

Just wondering if there were any drivers that your computer needed, that's all. =)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8379462

Not that I know of since I haven't changed anything from day 1, 6 years ago.

I did submit my question to Google so if it's answered, and the solution is found, I will post it. If not my computer hero will be here Monday to fix it.
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8379493

Can you slip the memory chip into another camera or device then connect it to the PC? You may have an issue with the USB port or cable, too.
Andy P
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8379509

Thanks for the very good idea Andy but I only have one camera and no chance of getting someone over here with another camera. Would your theory work with a "Digital photo frame" that was given to me as a gift and I have no idea how to use it?
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8379761

Does your memory chip fit the photo frame? Then it should also have a connection to your PC. Connect them, see if the PC recognizes it. Check the manual.
Andy P
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8379764

I'll give it a try but I've never used the photo frame so I don't know if I can do it. I'll be back to report.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8379781

The USB connector on my camera is toast, the rest of the cam works fine, takes great pics, etc. When I transfer pics to the computer I have to remove the memory stick from the camera and put it into a card reader attached to the computer, pain but it works.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8379786

Andy - the instruction manual is 46 pages long so I doubt I'll master this anytime soon. I think my computer guy can solve the problem. I hope so! Thank you so much for trying.

Dyson - I don't have a card reader but I appreciate your help.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8379791

Got mine from wallyword for about 10 bucks but I think they are about 20 there now.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 18, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8379792

Pirl, I have window's xp and I bought a fuji camera, last year, but I installed my disc for my camera into my computer, I haven't taken any picture's yet, because I just do not have anything to take picture's of, until this Spring. Of course this doesn't help you right now. I also do not know anything about using Goole with a camera.
Rocco
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8379803

Pirl
I think that the card reader is the simplest way to download pics from the camera card. I have always used a Targus Micro SD/T-F reader. I have mine plugged into a USB on a short cable and keep it next to my computer for easy access. The reader is available from Walmart and others for about $8.00. Good luck on solving your problem.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8379806

Does your computer have memory card slots? If so you may not need a card reader. Most desktops/towers have card slots for all the flavor memory cards today. A laptop may be more limited (my HP does not have a slot for CF but supports all the other cards).

Worth a try and a lot simpler than tethering a camera and getting it set up to transfer pictures.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8379833

I have a Fuji S6000fd purchased in '07. Had intermittent failures to connect to the pc with both XP and Vista (with the Vista Fuji software upgrade). Have not had a problem in several months since I quit selecting the MS optional updates. Without having hands on your pc, I just cannot give any useful advice. It will probably be something simple when you find the problem.

Have your pc helper check the Fuji site for updates to your install disk.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8379842

Thanks, all. Walmart is 30 minutes away and due to cataracts I can't drive in the dark.

Roseycats - I have a Fuji and love it.

Rocco - I'll buy one and have my computer guy show me how to use it. Thanks!

hcm - no memory slots of which I'm aware. The HP is seven years old so maybe that feature wasn't available back then.

OGR - I just use Google, not Fuji's system, to download photos but thanks anyhow.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8379887

Seven years is probably right - no memory slots. Bummer! Get a cheap card reader - Rocco is correct on that point - Targus multi card reader at Walmart ran about $14 for me last year and is a worthwhile purchase (sure beats the early version Sandisk Card reader that ran $100 and required you to plug it into the parallel port and Y it off your keyboard too). It is also a lot easier than tethering a camera and you won't be using your camera's batteries this way too! Without the camera's drivers (install CD) or downloading them from their web site you may be paddling upstream without a paddle unless Windows already has the drivers on the hard drive.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8379895

Thanks! We'll find out the answer on Monday and I'll post it.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 19, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8381411

Pirl, I hope you get your computer camera taken care of Monday. Sorry I couldn't help, but all this computer talk has me lost anymore. My HD has 4 slots, but I know one is for a memory card I think, and the other 3 I don't know what they are for.
I've had this computer for at least 4 or 5 years, maybe longer. Well anyway Good Luck. Enjoy. Get your eye's taken care of.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8381425

Thanks, Roseycats. Surgery is set for the left eye 3/9 and the right one in April. I'm thrilled.

Lo and behold! While cleaning out a bureau I found a still packaged (never opened) USB 2.0 5-IN-! Card Reader/Writer. On the front it says Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0.

I lost Adobe when I "fixed" the computer by eliminating programs. Now it won't reload for me.

I don't expect more help but just wanted you to know I do have the card "thingie" now! I'm not even sure I can use it with a computer that doesn't have the required ports but when I have my computer guy here I will ask about it.

Thanks to all.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8381443

If you have a card reader, then pop your memory card out of your camera, find the right slot on the card reader and push the card into that slot, and connect the reader to the computer USB port. Windows should give you a pop up full of choices (you may have to browse to get to Picasa though).

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/card-readers-explained-140

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8381457

Do I have to have Adobe on my machine to use the card reader?
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8381484

I just did a short test with my Sony multi-card reader and Vista. May not work with XP but I think it should. Plug the cord from your reader to a USB port--the computer can be 'on'. There should be a small dialog box open on the lower right portion of your screen saying "new device found, loading software" or words to that effect. When that process is finished, click on 'computer' and check for additional drives. I have two physical drives, C & D plus a partition E. DVD/CD drive is F. Card reader should have a drive letter for each primary slot. My Sony has a combo slot for two different size cards so I ended with G, H, I and J card drives. Find the one containing your drive and you should see the pics. My Fuji card is XD. I do not think you need any special software to just view the pics or create a new directory/folder and copy them to it.

You can give it a shot now or wait until your helper is there. Never touch the card contacts with your fingers and make certain it is oriented properly to avoid damage to the card or reader.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8381505

hcm - IT WORKED! I realize it may not be a big deal to you but to me it certainly is - THANK YOU SO MUCH! Even when I asked at Google/Picasa they didn't come up with the card reader as a solution.

There was a disk with it so I inserted it but there was nothing else it needed me to do but put the memory card into the reader - easy!

OGR - the computer did, indeed, have the "new device found" in the lower right corner!

I did discover that the screen that always allowed me to send the photos to Picasa is a Windows screen that says: Removable Disk L so that rests my mind that it wasn't a Picasa page I was missing or had somehow messed up with my attempts to gain space by deleting programs I don't use.

THANK YOU ALL!

Now, what do I do in the future? First I'd delete from the card all the photos that went into Picasa. Then I'd take more photos, attach the reader, insert the card and go from there? Do I insert the disk each time or is it now in the computer's memory bank?

Thank you! You've all made me one happy person tonight!
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8381517

You do not have to insert the disk anymore. In fact you probably didn't need the disk at all for a card reader.

I personally use my own scheme for organizing photos so I choose open the folder when Windows prompts me on what to do, do a CTL-A (Select All), do a CTL-X (Cut), and then go to the photos directory where I want to store the pictures, create a new directory, and do a CTL-V (Paste). Once the pictures are moved I remove the card reader, then remove the card and put it back in the camera. You can format the card if you wish but I don't find it necessary. Also back up your pictures often in case of a hard drive crash!

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8381521

Thank you so very much. I'll rest easy now.

I do have a separate external unit that supposedly saves all my photos.

Is there a simple and easy way to back up the photos online?
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8381532

It can become a bit complex until you have some practice but I used the card reader to copy sorted family pics to my camera card because the camera firmware would not permit that function with Vista. The card is loaded with the pics then installed in a digital picture frame. Some picture frames permit direct copying but I feel more secure with the card reader.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8381620

So you highlight each photo you want copied to another source? I could load vacation photos and then use the card for the digital picture frame? That would be ideal!

I do have spare brand new cards. Would I load onto them and use just them when I wanted to view them via the digital picture frame?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm "older" and not hip to all the equipment and terms.

Thank you for your help.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8381939

Sorry- i was away for 2 days... so glad you got it all worked out.

pirl wrote:
Lo and behold! While cleaning out a bureau I found a still packaged (never opened) USB 2.0 5-IN-! Card Reader/Writer. On the front it says Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0.

I lost Adobe when I "fixed" the computer by eliminating programs. Now it won't reload for me.

Thanks to all.

pirl -- I have various copies of Adobe PhotoAlbum ... I have one version on my laptop, but since Adobe has discontinued it, you can't even register it. I guess it's a nice 'organizer' but you dont need it, as you have already found out.

I do just like hcmc does... select all, cut, paste into a folder. I have a slightly different 'system' of doing things on my tower that on my laptop, but you can only use what you have on hand... different software on each.

Very glad to hear you got things working again. I've always used card readers. and they work like a charm for me.

Terese

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8382146

Thanks for your support, Terese. I am ever so grateful to have the photos and to know nothing was wrong with the camera.

My heartfelt thanks and a big bouquet to everyone who posted.

Arlene

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8382202

I ran another test this morning. I like to verify facts before passing them along. I formatted my memory card, IN THE CAMERA, in order to clean it, and installed it into the reader. Connected the reader to a USB port and checked 'computer' for drive loading.

I always prefer to create a new directory/folder and drag & drop/copy individual pictures into it. When that is completed, I only need to drag & drop/copy one item, the directory/folder, from the temp folder to the card reader drive. This also works best with a thumb drive. I copied 100+ pictures totaling about 300 meg in something like 4 minutes from the pc to the card.

I think you can do the same process directly to the digital picture frame but I do not have the manual handy.

The reason for copying a complete folder rather than one pic at a time is you eliminate the possibility of multiple mistakes. The most simple process is usually the best.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8382220

Thanks. I'll get the computer guy to show me tomorrow.

I'd much prefer to do an entire folder at a time, as you do it.
Rocco
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8382450

Pirl
I'm glad that card reader worked for you it has always been the easiest downloading procedure for me.
Good luck on the eye surgery. I had cataract surgery on both eyes last year. The surgery was done on the left eye first and the other one two months later. My blurred vision was no longer there and I felt that my sight had been restored. I wear glasses with progressive lenses mainly for reading. There is very little correction in the upper part of the lenses.My vision is now near 20/20. You will be surprised at the results.
John
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8382454

Thanks, John. My vision right now is fine except that I feel they have Vaseline in them at times. The glare from the snow/sun has been very strong this winter. I'm definitely looking forward to the surgery and the mandated day of rest - what a luxury!

Arlene
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 20, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8382805

Arlene, I'm glad you got your camera working, and just in time for Spring. Have Fun!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8382830

Thanks, roseycats. I'm ecstatic. My pictures were waiting six days but you'd have thought it was six months with my anxiety.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

February 20, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8383068

Say Pirl, I know exactly what you mean.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America