Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Corn Meal Mush

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 21, Views: 236
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8380542

When I was little...back in the day...my mom would cook corn meal mush for breakfast. We would add butter and sugar, maybe some milk. Anyone out there ever had it? I saw a cooking show the other day and 'polenta' was cooked. Do you think they are the same? Your thoughts on this, please.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8381221

I would be interested in finding out the difference. Dad cooked cornmeal mush with either white or yellow cornmeal, (sometimes grits was substituted). As a treat, leftover mush was refrigerated and as it harded into shape it was sliced and fried and served for dinner or breakfast with syrup or red eye gravy. As I grew older, I was told the difference was the coarseness of the meal and also from where you came from. Both polenta served in fancy restaurants and cornmeal mush made at home are prepared the same. We asked Dad why we fried the mush and he said his family did it when he was a young boy in NC. it fed his 6 brothers and a sister before chores etc. Oh the memories!.
laneybob
Lake Park, GA

February 28, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8398936

Toriesmom...I was told that cornmeal mush and polenta are the same thing. Polenta is cut into little shapes, while the mush can be chilled and sliced to be fried. I was raised in the south, but never heard of mush until I met a man from Ohio who was making some. I ate it fried, and fell in love with it. You can chill cooked "grits" the same way..chill them then fry the slices after they are chilled and set.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8399041

Interesting. My dad was from the South and my mom was from Cleveland Ohio. Also my Grandmother put it in loaf pans until it was cold and then coated the slices in a batter to be fried maybe in butter or lard. It went well with ham or corned beef for breakfast. At that time we didn't worry about trans fats etc.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8399070

Grits in the south is most commonly ground white corn though it's ground from both white and yellow but polenta is always yellow corn. Polenta is not always served fried and is often served like grits would be, hot and creamy.

Cornmeal mush is usually ground yellow cornmeal that is corn more finely ground than grits. So cornmeal mush is finely ground yellow corn, polenta is less finely ground yellow corn and grits is usually (but not always) less finely ground white corn.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8399907

Thanks, everyone! You've helped me by reinforcing what I 'expected' to be true.
laneybob
Lake Park, GA

March 1, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8400084

Torriesmom, You said it all when you said "oh, the memories". I have many good memories too. At least I know that I know how to survive eating the basics. I was told that Bob Evans Restaurants still serve fried mush. Hopefully they will continue.
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8400839

My dad fried sausage meat drained it and put it in the warm corn meal mush. It could be eaten warm and soft of chilled sliced and fried either way it was so very good. Been thinking for years of making this again.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8401307

Can't forget the ham with the juices on the mush. Now I am getting hungry.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 2, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8402520

Was only 4 or 5, but remember mush for supper, and fried with home churned butter &Log Cabin Maple syrup (when it still had real maple), for breakfast.

Maybe some hand cut (off the rind) bacon, and fresh milk from a neighbor's cow.

After breakfast, I would churn the cream into butter in a wide-mouth gallon jar - I would roll it back and forth on the floor. Took a while, but worked.
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8402528

My mom would make mush for breakfast...still my favorite on a cold winter morning. We fried it up and put syrup and butter on it...yum!! Sometimes we would get sassafras tea with it...but those days are gone as my grandfather was the one who dug up the roots. Nice to see others who know what mush is, when I tell people they usually look at me funny.

Kim
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8403519

Yum.
oriole
Mifflintown, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8502387

I remember mush, my grandmother made it often. With milk and butter for breakfast. Fried for dinner,always with King syrup.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 17, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8502423

I'm Italian, and the first time I saw people put syrup on fried mush I was astounded, lol. It'd be like having syrup on a potato cake.

I've had both, and at least in my limited mush experience, polenta is a slightly less fine grind of corn meal. It's a less smooth texture. You can still slice it up and fry or (preferable, IMHO) grill it, but I like it with some gorgonzola. I like the cold, grilled polenta better than warm, which is like loose mashed potatoes. It is my understanding that you never eat mush that way, right?
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2011
9:59 PM

Post #8695205

Oh, I'm necro-posting! I love fried mush!! Fried in bacon grease and swimming in real maple syrup. MMM. My mom would make a double batch so that we had warm, soft (porridge-like) cornmeal mush on one day and the cold, sliced fried mush the next day. My kids (12 & 14) love it, and we do the same with leftover oatmeal.

*Almost* makes me wish for cold winter mornings... :)
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 18, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8699194

A cold morning sound great - right now - with our heat and dought.

Still remember fried mush, a pat of real home churned butter and fresh maple syrup from a neighbor in N. MN.
ticollins
Sioux Falls, SD

November 28, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8909119

I always remember reading about cornmeal mush in old books, but I've never tried it personally.
PaulRobinson
Torrance, CA

October 15, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9306064

And here's a note from a city boy about corn meal mush:

Born and bred in Los Angeles of parent fro Lincoln, Ne and Chicago, Il - no farmers in the history of the family on either side. Mom was a really poor cook, but during and after the "Great Depression" (nuthin' great about it!) we fairly often enjoyed fried mush. To this day, my wife of 60 years who is a better cook than the best in the world, occasionally boils up a mess of mush, refrigerates it, and fries slices for breakfast with (real) butter and syrup or honey. Mmmm! Even our go0ourmet 120 lb German Shepherd, Nipper, loves it. As did our four kids and the 7 GSDs that preceded Nip over the years. Albers Corn Meal is a staple on our pantry shelves. We dine very well these days, with expensive and "sophisticated" dishes frequent fare, but fried mush and other "common" foods are delicious and always have a place on our table. No, we aren't rich - our home is a century old, 900 sq ft manson and our income small and limited. But with a cook like my June, fine foods simply follow!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9306252

The thing about all these posts... my mom cooked what I know as corn meal mush in a pot like y0ou cook oatmeal or Cream of Wheat... Anybody else eat it like that?
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9306604

Yes, we ate it like that as a hot cereal with butter just like grits. (Our leftovers were put in the refrigerator to harden, then sliced and browned in the pan along with vienna sausages, bacon or spam etc. I found that even as a child in the 50's, it had more flavor.)
PaulRobinson
Torrance, CA

October 16, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9306993

Yes, we sometimes had mush as mush, too. Can't say I really cared for it that way = but then I wasn't too wild about oatmeal either.

Italians eat mush frequently, but they call it Polenta and its a side dish at dinner.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9307120

PaulRobinson, you just answered my first question at the top of this thread!!!!! Thanks :)

Thank you, too, torriesmom

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America