Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bulbs: Canna, allium, glad, sedge, crom question.

Communities > Forums > Bulbs
bookmark
Forum: BulbsReplies: 0, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8380645

Here's the situation. A few years back I planted some glads, allium and cannas next to each other. The cannas rapidly took over the bed, I never saw any off the glad or alliums, blooms or foliage.

Today I decided to move all the cannas out. The soil is so nice in this area that I shook off all the soil hoping to keep most of the soil in the original bed.

What have I found? HUNDREDS of little black 'somethings'. About 3/4" and teardrop shaped. At first I thought I hit the mother lode of sedge grass, but these are grouped densely. There is no signs of the little strings or runners that tie sedge together. I've ruled out sedge grass.

I also found what looks like my original allium bulbs (A. bulgaricum) still healthy but haven't started sprouting yet. All the other alliums of this species are already 6" tall in other areas of the garden. But alliums don't produce small black corms... do they???

Next suspect is the glads, I don't recall what kind are planted. It could be the larger hybrid or a species glads. I've dug up species glads in the past and the corms look very much like what I have found under the cannas. But never have I found glads to this prolific!

I *think they're gladiolus... BUT, could they have reproduced all this time without foliage???

Not sure what forum to post this in, figured, 'bulb" forum would be the closest thing to a 'corm forum' .lol

This thread hasn't received any replies yet. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Bulbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing Tuberose in CA SteveK 2 Aug 27, 2007 3:24 AM
hyacinth bulbs debi_z 12 Oct 31, 2007 11:48 AM
Supplier for caldium bulbs Bulk??? plantsdirect 10 Dec 28, 2010 9:42 AM
what are these and why don't they bloom? woodspirit1 24 Jun 25, 2009 7:40 PM
gardeners......... help!!!! stephanie_74 12 Jul 7, 2011 5:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America