Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: If the world is getting warmer, why is it so cold?: it can't be real because I don't want it

Communities > Forums > Article: If the world is getting warmer, why is it so cold?
bookmark
Forum: Article: If the world is getting warmer, why is it so cold?Replies: 3, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
treesmoocher
Spencer, WV

February 21, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8383865

This stuff drives me crazy. Scientists indeed ARE looking at eons--they use ice cores drilled hundreds of feet down for that. They have records of climate going back hundreds of thousands of years; there is evidence that the greatest extinction event in Earth's history, the one 225 million years ago, was caused by climate warming (obviously, not caused that time by burning fossil fuels). Yes, climate is complex; yes, weather fluctuates a great deal more day to day and season to season. Yes, greater general warming sometimes causes floods and other times droughts, often in the same place (like Australia); similarly, it can cause more snow or milder winters. I don't understand the mechanism by which we've had snowy winters in the US northeast the last two years--I read it has something to do with the melting Arctic--but it hardly "disproves" climate change, any more than Al Gore's hypocrisy does. If what the vast majority of scientists say is true--and we don't question thm when they're delivering new medicines or faster cars, only when they're telling us what we don't want to hear--then we need to drastically curtail greenhouse gas emissions ASAP or we'll leave a severely damaged, impoverished planet for our descendants. We COULD do this, but it would require a massive change in our economy, and we'd mostly rather hope the world's scientists are wrong, and face the wrath of our grandchildren when the time comes.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8384385

My goodness, I wasn't trying to disprove Global Climate Change; merely to tiptoe around the wrath of the other guys. Give your trees a smooch from me!
kingedking
Inverness, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8384565

Hummmmm - If what the "vast majority"of scientist say is true... Who has ever done a poll of the "vast majority" of scientist? If you dig enough I believe you will find as many on one side of this issue as you will on the other. The only "vast majority" you have is the media. Once they take a side, the truth just sinks to the deepest depths of the ocean and disappears. Will we ever know which side is correct? Doubtful. I think our elected (by purchased votes) politicians will bury us long before the climate change has a hope of causing any major problems. Will there be anything left for your grandchildren by the time the politicians get done with us. Both parties are so corrupt I don't see much hope for us.

I live in Florida and I wonder where our hurricanes went? We have not had one in a couple of years now. Our water tables are dropping fast, we need a couple of them to get the water tables back up again. Less water in the world? Well, yeah. More people using a lot more water will do that every time. More hungry people? Yuper, our food supply is not infinite. More people eat more food and their numbers are growing faster than the food supply. Maybe there really is global warming with all those new 98.6 degree "things" running around using up all the resources. That is probably as good as a reason as any to support global warming.

Nice article Carrie. Right down the middle without a lot of false conclusions. Very good.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8384585

Thank you, king, I was definitely tip-toeing between! It's nice to get a compliment - you should read the other thread, or maybe you shouldn't! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: If the world is getting warmer, why is it so cold? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
colder versus warmer randbponder 45 Mar 8, 2011 8:47 AM
Starting to get warmer crownpc 1 Feb 21, 2011 9:45 AM
Hang tough jazzy1okc 1 Feb 21, 2011 9:29 AM
There just plain is not enough knowledge CLScott 4 Feb 21, 2011 2:50 PM
Paradoxes LariAnn 2 Feb 21, 2011 2:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America