Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: If the world is getting warmer, why is it so cold?: Paradoxes

Communities > Forums > Article: If the world is getting warmer, why is it so cold?
bookmark
Forum: Article: If the world is getting warmer, why is it so cold?Replies: 2, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 21, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8384395

With several major climate influencers at play, it is indeed a challenge to determine if, overall, climate is changing in general to a warmer or cooler standard. El Nino/La Nina, the AO (arctic oscillation), the NAO (North Atlantic oscillation) and other factors can result in some areas having colder than average and more precipitation than average, while others have warmer than average, and drier than average, for example. At the time when all the snowstorms were hitting the USA as well as the UK, the AO was running negative, which means the arctic air was able to spill down to the lower latitudes. At this time, the AO is running positive, so less arctic cold will move downward from the pole. Couple that with the La Nina in progress and it becomes very challenging to tell if there is a warming or cooling trend. The best approach, IMHO, is to take personal responsibility for our own actions. If this means choosing to use the car less (or not at all), or choosing "greener" solutions to our everyday problems, it will help in some small way, especially if everyone were to do something. But climate is a dynamic thing and will change, one way or another, even if humans weren't contributing to an amplification of the change.

Carrie, thanks for the honest article! I've felt that one of the most important scientific statements that can be made is "I don't know". It is only after that statement is made that research can begin.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8384413

Thank you, Lari Ann, for the lovely comment! (Usually what I, personally, do is ask for a sweater.) I respect your positive feedback (I cited you, after all,) and I am glad you don't think I should have provided all the answers. :-)
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

February 21, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8384888

I agree!
Thanks for the insight.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: If the world is getting warmer, why is it so cold? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
colder versus warmer randbponder 45 Mar 8, 2011 8:47 AM
Starting to get warmer crownpc 1 Feb 21, 2011 9:45 AM
it can't be real because I don't want it treesmoocher 3 Feb 21, 2011 11:37 AM
Hang tough jazzy1okc 1 Feb 21, 2011 9:29 AM
There just plain is not enough knowledge CLScott 4 Feb 21, 2011 2:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America