Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: What new feature or project are you planning?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 44, Views: 378
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8384410

There are a total of 112 votes:

Raised beds. (what will you plant?)
(37 votes, 33%)
Red dot

A fountain or water feature.
(12 votes, 10%)
Red dot

A veggie garden for me!
(17 votes, 15%)
Red dot

I'm redesigning an entry. (tell us about it!)
(8 votes, 7%)
Red dot

A trellis or pergola is in my plans.
(14 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Other? (tell us!)
(24 votes, 21%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8384432

I have been working on my garden spot for the last week. I planted purple top turnip greens, purple top rutabegas, 7-top turnip greens (they are a little bitter), cabbage,onions and broccoli. Too early to plant summer veggies yet. Happy gardening. Luciee :)
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8384515

I voted other as I have no new plans for the large gardens...yes, you can reach that point.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8384525

I'm not sure if I will be able to find the time (since I haven't prepared the beds yet and around here everything needs to be in the ground by mid to late March, but I'm hoping to get at least one vegetable planted this summer.

Last week on the news they said the price of produce with the exception of onions, potatoes, and apples is expected to increase 3 fold in the coming months. It's expected to be the greatest price increase in some 25yrs. On a different channel a few days later they said that orange juice would soon be a luxury item. If any of this is even remotely true, we should all rush out to start a vegetable garden and plant some fruit trees ASAP.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8384545

Thanks to a lovely design from my youngest son, I am hoping for a major redo of our back 'entry' to a hillside and pond wild area. This includes removal of a no-longer-needed livestock fence, regrading, adding a rockery and lower level patio and firepit. I plan to use all or mostly native plants in the design to transition in with the hillside grasses. The trick is coming up with the funds for the heavy equipment work... And now my youngest sister plans her June wedding reception here, so better get cracking!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8384689

I voted other for I am re-doing about 5 of the beds this year. They're getting over-crowded and some plants like the spot entirely TOO well and have become a pain in the patuti and strangling out others. They really need to go.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8384715

I have an ongoing square foot veggie garden and a front and side ornamental garden. This year Im planning to link them together with transition points that make my whole garden like a story with a beginning, middle and end. Im still on paper with it because one of the transition points is giving me fits trying to come up with something that really works. One is solved, I think, with addition of a simple arbor. I want the transition point to hint at surprises beyond and pull the eye along inviting and enticing. The whole garden still has changes to come and improvements to make in plant material but those are only small changes usually due to my placement mistakes or the unexpected hard freezes we've had for 2 of the past 3 years. I absolutely love gardening. You never run out of things to do.
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8385333

Doing a raised veggie garden . We have black walnut trees and the veggies haven't done very good the last couple of years. I am also doing a raised Iris garden.
SusieR
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8385527

I voted for "other" as well. I cut six new beds last year and only got one completely done. I have two that are totally empty. I also want to rip out all of the shrub roses down my driveway and replace them with a different rose (probably about 16 rose bushes.) I'd like to put in a water feature and I still have to cut the edges of the bed and place the edging bricks. I am also redoing another place and putting in raised beds. Yeah- I think I'm going to do this all this summer.

Anyone want to volunteer for a long summer visit to Illinois???? :)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8385550

My 4 year old daughter wanted to do a fairy garden. So this spring I will be planting my first fairy garden. Been planning all winter. This is definitely going to become an addiction.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8385604

I finally got my dream veggie garden, and then we moved. So, I guess it's back to the drawing board for a new veggie garden. Think I'll try something more like Square Foot gardening this time. I just want fresh stuff for us to eat, and maybe a little to share, so I'm not willing to try rows and rows of stuff. But, hopefully a few tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers would be nice. I really enjoyed my sugar snaps last year at the old house, so that might be a good one to try.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8385681

I am redoing the entire front yard.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 22, 2011
12:50 AM

Post #8385730

im getting 'old and stuffed' so raised beds are the go!
strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

February 22, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8385828

An irrigation system; planting a bunch of new veggies; adding some new perennials, annuals, shrubs, small trees, and vines; removing an old bush; putting in a pond and/or bog, and building a structure for a couple of vines, to get them to form into a tree like form are all in my plans, if I can afford it.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8385900

I voted 'other' cause I'm having to remodel my whole 1/2 acre to make room for a new trailer. So I'm not planting anything new, just moving alot of daylilies, roses, and iris that I planted last year. Plus moving the raised beds.
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

February 22, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8386152

other or should say all lol an redoinhg my front yard and going to try to do a complete landscapeing on a rental property I bought last fall so there i s nothing there but want to redo the whole thing from retaining walls to french drain patio and plantings. whwew tired already lol also hope to get my pond this year
ericabelle
West Plains, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2011
9:14 AM

Post #8386385

We are going to put 4 flower beds around our garden shed, and I am refinishing a trellis! We are also building a flagstone patio right now. Ain't spring grand? =)

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8386819

I had all of my boring barberry bushes pulled out of the front bed last year and then broke my hand...so, this year will be finishing the project that was started a year ago. (I'd hate for any DG'rs to see my yard right now...you'd fire me!)

We have also just purchased a piece of rental property and it needs some cleaning up and a bit of a facelift, so I'll be doing some easy and attractive things there to attract some nice renters.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8386972

Fruit trees; apples and peaches.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8387140

kwanjin, will we be able to see?
This may finally be my year for some kind of water feature, spurred on by the solar powered fountain sold by Harbor Freight Tools.
holeth
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8387243

Cece, I can never keep track of your plants: beds, containers, or all of the above?

Last year, I learned that vertical growing on fencelines can irk the fence owners, especially if they believe that the weight of dangling crops will damage their expensive new fence. Therefore, this yr we'll be building fence-like sturdy trellises from whatever we've got to get same productivity out of small space.

My garden volunteering buddy put one up with recycled iron posts & rusty wire. It survived the winter, so now we just have a few more to create& netting to discover or make.

I've been checking out garage sales & online 2nd hand sources for "kick-back" (practice soccer goalie toy) netting for cucurbits. Melons need extra support, & after critter nibblings last yr, we're not leaving them on the ground again.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2011
10:04 PM

Post #8387619

Sally, yes, I will post pics of the progress. I have a plan forming in my head how I want it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8387632

Great!
fiwit
Lebanon, GA

February 23, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8387790

I voted "raised bed," but it's just one of many projects on my plate. Last fall I tore down a brush pile. This spring, I'm building a huge raised bed there (the space is 8x24, IIRC), and planting a monarch waystation with the "kit" from monarchwatch.org Scored big on raised bed kits at a big box store a few weeks ago - 4x4 cedar kits normally $60 marked down to $20. I bought their remaining five kits, and will use all or most of it on this project.

Other projects include removing a dead spruce and a dying sweet gum, continuing to attack the vinca the original owners planted as groundcover in the back, and continuing to create travel corridors between the 20 trees I've planted in my front yard over the last 2 years.
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

February 23, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8388285

I'm quite happy with what I've got. No changes.
nilly
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8388286

I'm planting SALSA!
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8388512

Fwit, I got rid of mine with roundup. Luciee
roseone33
Southern Mountains, GA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8388591

Weed suppression with corn gluten meal.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8389848

Reworking my pond garden. more specifically, the "tiki hut" cover that's over the pond itself. Not sure exactly what it'll end up being, but at the minimum, I'll make the cover more substantial.
Barb

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 24, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8389920

I want to get some raised beds done before the bulbs get here in March. I'm doing some dahlias and decided that pots are a no go for them as they died on me last year. I might reconfigure the butterfly garden area and make it bigger and rework one side of the backyard into a sunny meadow with perennials and annuals. That will be a lot of work but it will keep me busy and happy.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8390382

I am changing the width of raised vegetable beds from 48" to 36".

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8391891

Honeybee- I also found 48 not to be so easily reached as I thought- Might help if I didn't try to cram too much in every year.
Oh another- my new lettuce and greens bed will be along the shaded side of my row of asparagus--which BTW seemed much improved last year with " Mir A Cal"

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8392315

sallyg - I started out puting three or four rows of veggies in the 48" beds, but found. as you indicated, that it was hard to harvest the produce growing in the center rows.

Then I found myself just setting two rows and leaving the center strip empty - such a waste of space. I'm hoping the 36" will work out well, although it has been one heck of a chore moving all that dirt!

I'll be picking our first asparagus spears of 2011 today for dinner!
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8392378

I find 36" rows easier to manage as well, although I plant in an alternated grid pattern rather than in rows. For example, bush beans I plant 6-8" apart in all directions. Makes a nice solid stand.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

February 25, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8392710

Building a two-tier rose garden with an arbor in memory of my dad. I had one at my previous house but have to start all over since I moved.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8392997

Froggie, nice gesture. I am planning a memorial garden in my head, thinking I'll use daylillies as it will be situated on the slope of a sunny hill and I swear there is a cultivar for just about any name one can think of. Perhaps add in some iris (once again, lots of named cultivars). And a bench. This is a next year project, need to regrade the backyard first, which will lead to the hill.
addicted2plants
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8393184

I read the book, "The Winter Harvest Handbook" by Eliot Coleman and am fascinated with his chapter on movable greenhouses. This book is amazing! The movable greenhouse will allow me to plant all my crops and maximize season extension of both cool and warm season veggies. It's my new project. Must be a good one too because even my non gardening hubby is interested in this project! LOL
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 26, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8393922

Raised bed specifically for Japanese Iris. I believe I can grow them here. Am getting advice from another DG'r. Also may do so for some new peonies. I am out of space and may consider digging up stuff I am not wild about. Last fall I dug up and rototilled a 5x100' long run down one fence, put in pavers for stepping stones and replanted. Be interested to see how that worked. Dug up a little hillock (10x10 and 4' tall) by my pond and replanted predominantly bearded iris and daylilies that had crowded themselves to the point of no blooming. The daylilies that is. Bearded is a whoooooole nother topic.
jaemee
Sulphur, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8394915

The extreme temps. (low 20's) for South Louisiana have ruined our Star Jasmine, for the second year in a row. We will be removing it from the trellis and starting from scratch again. Don't know yet what it will be, but something that can take colder winters than the Jasmine.

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8395024

Raised beds. We will be adding another tier to our front landscaping. I don,t know just yet what I am going to put in them. Any suggestions? Here is the first one we added last year.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

February 27, 2011
4:10 AM

Post #8395028

My new project is really a repeat of one I did about 30 years ago.
I am doing a begonia parlour on a porch that is on the north side of the garage.
It will be begonias and other shade plants in containers.
First the porch needs painting and a new roof.
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8395207

I have several things in mind. Being a new house with pretty much a clean slate, there is much to do. We have the basics and I want to add an European Fan Palm and a Canary Date Palm to our yard. Those will be the big items this year. Also want to make a raised bed to plant some tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. Have been busy fertilizing the other shrubs and small trees. Everything needs to grow a lot!!!!

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 27, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8395771

what an absolutely gorgeous home!!! I love the porch, I love it ALL. envy, green (at least), envy. heavy sigh.
sarahn
Milton, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8396192

I'm heading in the direction on an edible landscape. So I'm hoping to add American hazelnut and highbush blueberries. O, yeah, possiblly wild strawberries, too!
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8396854

We are hoping to finish our flagstone patio and paths. We bought two pallets of rock last summer and got about half of it in place before the weather turned nasty. I also want to build a pergola over the path closest to the house that matches the curve of the path and raised beds. We'll see if that actually gets started this year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America