Photo by Melody

Article: If the world is getting warmer, why is it so cold?: Alaska

Communities > Forums > Article: If the world is getting warmer, why is it so cold?
bookmark
Forum: Article: If the world is getting warmer, why is it so cold?Replies: 3, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
judin
North Bonneville, WA

February 21, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8384427

You forget about what is happening in Alaska. The permafrost is melting, causing highways to buckle, the ice cap of the North Pole is disappearing, as well as the South Pole ice cap. These are the mechanisms of climate warming. Without the balance of the cold glaciers, the ocean currents change and cause the kind of weather we are experiencing. It is causing mass extinctions too. This is only the beginning of climate change. When the water is all melted into the salty oceans, we will need to desalinate our drinking and gardening water, the temperatures will continue to be erratic until the ocean currents, which carry our weather patterns, have settled into consistent patterns as we have had all our history. It made predicting weather and zonal determination for planting easy. Now, it isn't. But, most importantly, what will be is not what we've had. It will be shockingly different.

When the firmament or atmosphere is thinned it lets in more sun heat. This causes Earth to have great shifts in where the water goes after it melts from the polar caps. The thinning of the atmosphere is like a flooding river. It thins faster and faster as the water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and ozone builds up and replaces oxygen. Greenhouse gasses.

Instead of saying the Earth is burping, you should be preparing for a way of life in which water is at a premium and costly, the heat unbearable in many areas and many people and cultures will be dispossessed of their homeland because ocean levels are rising rapidly and inundating islands already. The physics of climate change are written in stone, they are the laws of nature and to deny this fact is self destructive.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8384443

What is clear to you or me is hocus-pocus to others. How to convince everybody? I tried.

Thanks for your comment!

This message was edited Feb 21, 2011 1:09 PM
rogueraven
Gladstone, OR

April 25, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9096808

I believe we must ditch fossil fuels over cleaner means. Make recycling easier, go green now not twenty-thirty years from now. Even if it costs more initially. Wind turbines a mile off shore won't wack all the birds of the world. But there is so much wrong info out there about global warming and green energy. Writers want to sell books, politicans want votes, less than ethical scientists want funding. Now thats a group with biased agendas. Do your own research, learn what the best of science really has to say. and don't believe everything you hear on some talk show. I was brought up to believe strong opinions are fine, but to have the accurate facts to back it up. I've spent alot of time in the seventies gathering weather data and broadcasting it for the for the USFS in Oregon. Also having lived in Alaska for fifteen years, I always laugh a the global warming subject, our north facing glaciers were in retreat while south facing ones were in advance, seems backwards but true. Bagley Ice Field continues to grow (Largest in the world barring antartica). Weather is always figured by averages. AVERAGES ARE THE SUM OF EXTREMES,THIS IS HOW NORMAL IS DETERMINED , BUT NORMAL IS LIKE A FALSE SENSE OF REALITY, IT ALWAYS CHANGES AND EVOLVES. The term permafrost applies to areas that are frozen for two years or more and then melts. This is what really causes the frost heaves in our northern roads, quite a natural process going on for millions of years unnoticed until someone said we should pave it. It lies under the surface like a lens shaped area. A very common misunderstanding is that the ground is/was always frozen, not so in the south central areas with discontinous perma frost. Even in Barow the ground thaws some, but not far down. The perma frost areas are constantly thawing-freezing and actually change and move as the weather in a certain area may be warmer or colder than average that year. While there I saw a year with 30 days of 60 degrees below zero(no wind chill) as well as a 85 degree week in late May,and snow on the first of July (Should have seen the tourists speeding out of town that day, ha ha!) Usually a 90 day growing season where I lived with a max of 22 hours of daylight at the soltice. Folks need to rember that weather data figures are mostly based on the last 100-120 years (as long as figures have kept in most areas). Alaska was once tropical, South America and Africa were once one. Mother Earth is alive and well, constantly changing ,moving, growing ,dying and regenerating. The margins of growing areas become blured and do need to be remaped. Some people cannot seem to adapt from their 60-80degree temperate zone or wrap their minds around concepts as volcanics, tectonic plate shifting and geoligic time, polar shifts, natural acid rains, erosion or how even methane from peet bogs may have as much effect on weather as man. We are actually still coming out of the "Little Ice Age" (remembering the great potato famine and farther back, a mere blip in geologic time.)

So while I "Keep the Faith" that rain or shine the sun will come up tommorow on my tiny partly planted organic garden, think I'll have some tea, enjoy the sight of my efforts, and read the" Latest , Largest ever" ten year worldwide study of the worlds oceans found on National Geographic.com just so i can feel I'm making an effort to be accurately informed about my planet.

To the Chicken Littles of the world, calm down, no one likes or listens to a fanatic.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9097137

Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: If the world is getting warmer, why is it so cold? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
colder versus warmer randbponder 45 Mar 8, 2011 8:47 AM
Starting to get warmer crownpc 1 Feb 21, 2011 9:45 AM
it can't be real because I don't want it treesmoocher 3 Feb 21, 2011 11:37 AM
Hang tough jazzy1okc 1 Feb 21, 2011 9:29 AM
There just plain is not enough knowledge CLScott 4 Feb 21, 2011 2:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America