Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Needed: Tiny Tools for Transplanting

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 13, Views: 227
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
moyerles
Skiatook, OK

February 21, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8384567

I used to have a tiny little tool that I got for free at a garden show once that I used to move little seedlings from germination trays into larger growing trays, but I lost it during my last move. I've tried web searches to try to find a replacement with no luck. Does anyone know of a source for something like this or have a suggestion for something I could use or adapt from home? I do have a little olive fork a grapefruit spoon that I use some, but I need something even smaller than these for trays with 500+ cells in them...those holes & seedlings are very, very tiny. I'm going to try the flat end of a measuring spoon I have, but it's awfully thick and blunt. Something thin and a little bit scooped would work better. In other words, ideally, I would like a tool made for the job.

--Leslie / NE Oklahoma
art33
Florissant, MO

February 21, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8384908

Hi Leslie,

I think what you're referring to is called a "Widger". I've seen them made of plastic and also stainless steel. Try searching the web using Google and you should be able to find them. Seems like it should be easy to make something like that, I'm going to think about it and see what I can come up with :-)
moyerles
Skiatook, OK

February 21, 2011
11:05 PM

Post #8385701

Thank you sow_sow! I ordered one. In the meantime, it also occurred to me that a "snuff spoon" (which I never really understood) would also perhaps work. When I looked for them, I realized that they're now used for cocaine. Duh. :-) In searching for that, however, I learned from the druggies to search for "salt spoons" and that garnered a lot of hits. I ended up finding something on Ebay for $6 that was a salt spoon (sterling silver) shaped like a miniature shovel. :-) I think it will work well for one of my seed trays. Anyway--I now have a couple of tools on their way to my home and between the two of them I think I'll no longer pine after my long-lost tool! I appreciate the help!

--Leslie
art33
Florissant, MO

February 22, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8386536

You're very welcome Leslie, glad you found something!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8388304

My thought was; does McDonald's still have those little shovel shaped coffee stirrers? They are kind of blunt but I bet a few passes with a piece of sand paper will make them sharper.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

March 5, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8409346

Spoons made for feeding infants are useful.
You can buy cheap plastic ones too.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8410844

My old fingernail set had a tool for pushing back your cuticle and cleaning under fingernails. It is great for tiny plants, pointy on one end, a small scooper on the other.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8413675

I have great luck transplanting tiny seedlings with a regular stainless steel dinner fork. Works like a charm for me, especially on the tiny little seedlings. When I transplant, I make a hole in the soil I'm about to plant into by digging in the fork and wiggling it back and forth a little to make space. Then I lift the seedling from its cell or flat with the fork, carry it over to the hole I just made, and voila!...it fits right in. :)
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8424482

moyerles wrote:... these for trays with 500+ cells in them...

--Leslie / NE Oklahoma

Are you talking about a plug tray? Don't they have holes in the bottom of each cell, so that you push up through the hole with a round stick (I use a broken paintbrush handle) and the entire "plug" of soil comes out?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8461547

I use a dinner fork with one prong cut off, and one bent down. The other two prongs surround a seedling.

Corey
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8461560

Aha! I'm not the only one into forks. I even blogged about my fork fetish. :P

http://petiolejunction.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/potting-up-seedlings/

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8606927

I've been haunting Goodwill, and found a wood-handled cocktail fork of some kind (maybe a seafood fork) with three prongs longer and wider-spaced than a normal kitchen fork.

I bent the middle prong down just a bit, and now it's perfect for "pricking out" and potting up.

The spacing is even good for bringing too-large bits of pine bark to the surface to be discarded (or used to top-dress pots that are already transplanted-into.

I use it WITH my cut-and-bent kitchen fork, but this is better for fine work.

Corey

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 7, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8678990

I use pickle fork/condiment, which is much smaller than regular forks. I never use a spoon whatever the size as they tend to cut tiny roots. Forks don't seem to do that.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8679166

"Condiment forks"! Cool!

I used to hunt for "kitchen supply" places to find tiny but inexpensive metal measuring spoons, until I found great ones on Amazon.com. Now i have another reason to hunt ... thoguh my Goodwill Speial really does meet all my needs.

Do you try to pot up your seedlings while the roots are so tiny that they slip right out of the soil (like one fat thread), or wait until they are root-bound enough to grip the rootball securely and hold it together? I can't decide which is better.

I usually start in a 72-cell-per tray 6-pack, or a 128-cell plug tray. Rarely, a deeper 50-cell plug tray.
I've been meaning to try a 20-row seedling tray I bought, but haven't felt adventurous enough.

When I go from tray or pot into the soil, I aim for "pretty root bound", so I can balance the solid root ball on the blade of my Sharpshooter spade (trenching spade?) and then reach out and sliiide it into a hole or furrow, even in the center of a bed.

With squatting, which my legs pretty much refuse to do.

Corey

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America