BULBS - 2011 - WHOSE IN?

(Zone 5a)

Ok, the pink bulbs I potted in the fall for indoor bloomers are now starting to pop!

So WHOSE IN????

Here are some of my pink hyacinths!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Very nice. They're just starting to "pop" so you should be enjoying them for several weeks. The Tecolote Ranunculus bulbs I planted in October are just beginning to bud/bloom. Have to take a picture tomorrow.

(Zone 5a)

Yeppers.. popping!

Ugh, snowing again..

Love this lil popper.. no leaves.. but a pinkie showing

That sure is different to see the flower buds so soon on that bulb. Here's today's first bloom on the Ranunculus bulbs that were planted in October. It's also a pinkie (Tecolote Pink).

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Zone 5a)

Isnt that weird! I cant say its buried too deep in the pot eh!?

I like that ran you got there Jon! Shes a looker!

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yay! This is my first year growing bulbs and my very first bulb has bloomed! This is the only muscari I planted I don't know the name of. A few small bulbs were gifted to me...but it is the first to emerge!

Thumbnail by KnittyNatty38
Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Allium Globemaster

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Narcissus "Manly"

I posted this photo because I thought it kind of looked like a painting :) I really like the watercolor-like silvery blue/green leaves.

I can't wait to see what things will look like a week from now.

~ Natasha

(Zone 5a)

Very nice! So far the only bloomers I got are indoors!

My cannas started to grow...

Nice photos. I like to watch the posted photos every year of the spring bulbs popping up and beginning to bloom. You see this progression of blooms opening starting in the South and heading northward week by week. I don't know too much about spring bulbs in Florida other than Amaryllis. They should start blooming in the yard in about a month.

(Zone 5a)

I love amaryllus, but I have to grow them indoors and during the winter. I cant do them in the garden and I have tried carrying them over another season and for some reason no matter what I do to the bulbs to store them they always shrink and I lose them on the next year. Never have had a second bloom like the first flower.

The only option would be to keep them in pots year round, but that still might not work. They have high needs for sunlight. In zones 8 and higher you can plant bulbs and/or your Christmas Amaryllis in the ground after it finished blooming. If it bloomed around Christmas 2010, it will gather energy and acclimate in 2011 and begin blooming each spring in 2012. The bulbs also multiply over time outside. Here are some Amaryllis in the front flower bed. One of them does have a flower stalk with buds emerging from the ground. There are about 10 Amaryllis in this section.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

These are the first Alstroemeria (Peruvian Lily) "Premier Red" blooms on the side of the house. I guess these classify as tubers instead of bulbs. They always begin to bloom around now. If I keep cutting back the spent flower stalks, they continue to produce blooms here until the end of May. They prefer this location on the side of the house which is morning only sun and remains moist year round.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Zone 5a)

Well the hyacinths are in full force indoors.. I think and I hate to do it, but the aroma is so punjent it, or I will soon have to go!

If you hear a faint thud, you know what happpened!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

That's too funny. The hyacinths smell wonderful outside as well. I leave my amaryllis in pots. I water them all summer to keep the leaves alive. In the fall I stop watering and leave them in the pots to let them dry out. I put them in the basement in the fall and they started growing on their own. I've had blooms since. I was supposed to repot them in fresh soil but I got too lazy.

(Zone 5a)

I have about 24 bulbs either in full bloom or partial and holy-moly! PUN-gent! Pretty but, given me a headache for sure! They seem to get "smellier" as they just begin to wain as a few have started gonig down hill. When they first opened.. not much of any aroma, butnow WOW! And I have them in my "pretty" pots so setting them outdoors at this time is not a great idea either.. sometimes 20-20 hindsight.. I wanted pretty// but now wished I clay potted or canned tem up when planting so it would be ok to set them outdoors!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I planted my hyacinths outside. Here's one that's been in the ground for about 5 years. They still bloom every year despite the cold, snow, ice storms, etc.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are the crazy amaryllis growing without be watered.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Letting the Amaryllis foliage continue to grow after bloom is very important. It gives the bulbs a chance to store enough energy for blooming the next year. Good idea to bring them inside for winter. They could probably be planted in the ground in very southern Georgia and would do fine if they were protected with mulch in the fall. Central and Northern Georgia......get them inside.

Here's my first bud on the Amaryllis this spring. Do not know the variety. The bulb was dug up and sent to me from Arizona last year.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Zone 5a)

Cem, I got my hyacinths last fall and thought oh joy, indoor bloomers! I knew I was gonna run into overpowerign aroma, but the glamour pot kicked in! LOL! I think I probably could gently remove them and repot and boot them. Meanwhile, I will suffer for one more day.. last night though I swear my eyeballs had literally glazed over!

Jon, cant wait to see what am that is!! I bet its pretty.. looks like it might be a red of some description frm thehue of the bud! Time will tell! I dont think the ams are as potent...!

Paperwhites will drive ya nuts too! Dint do any of them tho!

Have never noticed any scent with Amaryllis. Still have one in bloom inside the house. It was a Christmas gift and it's on its last bloom stalk. Most of the Amaryllis out front are solid reds, solid whites, red/white striped and one peachy colored one.

Then there is this monster sized 6" diameter Amaryllis bulb that is in too much shade. It hasn't bloomed since 2008 and needs to be divided and moved. It's multiplied so there are a total of 4 bulbs there now.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Zone 5a)

Oh wow, that is giganteous!

Well, I kicked these outside....still have a few coming, but it will be a few days unitl over-stink!

I wouldn't mind the fragrance in the house at all. Even if its a bit overpowering it's all good with me. Afterall, I have a Stock plant, in a pot, that I bring in the house most evenings. It has a strong fragrance, but I love it in the house. The Amaryllis "momma" bulb is scary. It's a little smaller than a bowling ball. LOL

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

What did you feed that bowling ball?LOL;0) it's huge!!!! I do have an amaryllis that was also grown in the ground with my Hawaiian Ginger lilies that comes back every year in my zone 7b. It was about 3-4ft tall last year with a nice white bloom, peeking out from under the gingers.

I don't know why it got that large. Only thing I can think of is the area doesn't provide enough sun for blooming so maybe all the energy it does gather goes into bulb growth. Nice that you have an Amaryllis that's adjusted/adapted to your climate Annette. That Amaryllis must have some good genetics. I have a couple of Bearded Iris that adapted to South Florida and put out blooms. Very untypical for them to bloom here.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

That's just Mother Nature doing her thing. It seems that our plants haven't read the books to know where they should and shouldn't bloom:-)

That's true with some things. I think it's possible to have a strong plant and/or a weak plant of the same variety. Sometimes you can tip the scales in your favor by the conditions you grow something in. Growing zones are just lines on a map based on average minimum temps. Here in Zone 10 I'll give some things a try if they're listed only as far South as Zone 9 and maybe 8 on a select few. If its Zone 7 or lower it's almost always a waste of money and time.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree. For instance I love tropical plants but have to grow them in pots which are over wintered in my basement so that they don't die. The other biggie with the hyacinths are the books say they usually die out after 5 years in the ground, mine came back again this year not phased by the crazy weather we've been having here. Now Spring weather has shown up 2 months early and has all the bulbs blooming earlier than they should. Glad the bulbs got their 6 to 8 weeks of cold so that they could bloom well this year.

(Zone 5a)

Jon, ar you sure that is not one of those elephant ear bulbs?!! Man that is a monstor!

This winter started out crazy cool/cold in Dec and early Jan, but then the strong cold fronts stopped coming and the rest of the winter has been normal, albeit extremely dry.

Isn't it funny how so many of us want the plants from other regions/growing zones. Reminds me of my attempt to chill tulip and daffodil bulbs in the refrigerator and then plant them. It didn't work for me. Luckily a fortune wasn't spent. You're not alone when it comes to growing tropicals outside, in non tropical climates, and bringing them in for the winter. Seems to be quite popular with things like hybrid Hibiscus, Canna Lilies. I'm wondering if your original hyacinth bulbs and/or the baby bulbs it produces are the ones still blooming for you Annette? Either way, you're getting blooms. That's great.

The Ft Lauderdale Lowes just got in some Alstroemeria plants this week. Couldn't resist and bought just one.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Jon, you've got will power. I can't come away from a nursery with just 1 plant. What color did you get? BLOSSOMBUDDY, how many hyacinths did you plant?

Yes, only one plant. Since I have a pink one and a red one I decided to go with Alstroemeria "Premier White". It seemed like the best match to go with what I have. Here's a photo of it. Usually I'll stick to buying unique/new things that the nursery doesn't typically carry from week to week. Those flowering plants usually come in on Wedn or Thurs and sell very quickly. Try to get to the nursery no later than Sat AM before everything is picked over/gone. My guess is the Alstroemeria will be gone by sometime on Saturday. They only had about 15 of them to begin with.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Zone 5a)

CEM, I potted 24 of them.. kicked 9 outside, the rest are not as punjent yet, but they are cruzin! The ones I put outdoors are actually doing ok! Im waiting for my pink daffs to take off.. got about 24 of them indoors too.

LOL! There goes Jon counting! That Al is gorgeous!

Got the cannas BTW! Nice!

Got me some potting soil.. pruned my spider plants and got 6 new baskets started... hope they take. Wally had some house plants the other day, but Im on a boycott now with them. he local hardwar only has seed adn they are going pretty fast. Have not gone out of the territory to go to any other nurseries....walking out without any plants has been easy since there has not been any to walk with! LOL!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I planted 50 Jan Bos Hyacinths outside, and 50 L'Innocence between pots for Christmas for gifts and a few in the ground. The yard smells yummy!!!! The Jan Bos are blooming but the L'Innocence haven't started yet. My pink daff mix are on their way out of the ground, had 15 in 2009 and added 15 more last fall. Can't wait to see them bloom.

(Zone 5a)

I like jan bos.. have a few aroudn her some place... should hopefully have a lot of daffs..

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Which daffs do you have, and are they in pots or in the ground.

Finally getting this years first blooms on the Calla Lily "Giant White". Plant doesn't do much growing in the fall and winter and then lots of growth begins late Jan or so.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Zone 5a)

NIce calla, my calla has leaves and its in a pot indoors. It has lavender flowers.

Cem, All of my daffs that are in my garden are planted 3-6 bulbs dependingon the variety in 1 gallon nursery cans and are sunk into the ground. It serves me two great purposes, I can lift them quicker and the moles cannot go into the pots and kill the bulbs.

I have over 500 pots out there someplace in all my beds. Generally when lifting time comes hte cnas are so full I will get 6 to 10 more cans out of each pot lifted. I have them around a massive bed as border plants and every other plant between the pot is a Stella de or daylily.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thats a lot of daffs. I don't have mole problems here in GA. The clay soil is probably a deterant. Bet you have amazing Spring color with all those bulbs. Jon, that calla is huge, we need to know what kind of fertilizer you use?

It's supposed to be huge, because it's a large variety. It's typically 2-3 feet tall and the blooms usually have 18-24" stems. I haven't given it any fertilizer although I know I was supposed to. I bought it last year down here at Lowes. I think it was about $14.99 in a 3 gallon pot. They have a few in stock now. They only sell them once a year around this time. Last year it bloomed for about 2 months and produced around 10 blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images