Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: common name around here is NAGED LADY

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 165
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DOMLYN
Windber, PA

October 9, 2001
7:01 PM

Post #15545

I LIVE IN SOUTHWEST PA IN THE NEXT COUNTY TO SOUTH EVERYONE HAS A BULB PLANT CALLED NAGED LADY I NOW HAVE BULBS BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE REAL NAME OF PLANT IS ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS IT COMES UP AROUND JUNE LOOKS LIKE A DAYLILY AS FAR AS GREENS THEN THE GREENS DIE BACK AND DISAPPEAR AND IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS A SPIKE COMES UP WITH WHITE TO PINKISH FLOWERS AROUND STEM SIMALAR TO YUCCA BLOOM BUT SMALLER.IT IS AN OLD PLANT NOT SOMETHING DEVELOPED IN LAST 15 YRS. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT THE REAL NAME IS I WOULD APPRECIATE FINDING OUT
maddy
Sodwana Bay KZN
South Africa

October 9, 2001
7:17 PM

Post #143466

It is Amaryllis belladonna. You guys call it 'naked lady' because it flowers at the beginning of the growing season, before the leaves grow. It is native to South Africa. We call it March Lily, because it flowers in March (duh!) which is autumn. The leaves grow in winter, and it goes dormant in summer. It is quite possible that they adopt a different growth pattern where winters are too cold to grow.
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2001
6:28 PM

Post #144025

hi Maddy

the leaves grow first up here, start dying back and the flower stalk grows. the leaves aren't completely gone until the frost kills the off.

Mark
perLite
Petaluma, CA

October 10, 2001
6:35 PM

Post #144030

Recently I found out in this very forum (!!) about Lycoris squamigera, which is nearly a ringer for Amaryllis belladonna but is hardier. The Lycoris is hardy in the cold-winter areas of the US.
DOMLYN
Windber, PA

October 11, 2001
1:43 PM

Post #144538

thank guys not sure which one it is for sure but will check it out in books. appreciate the help. im new at this and still not sure of what i'm doing but will figure it out after fall harvest of plants and dalhias . lots of dahlias to dig up lol thanks again

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America