Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: Campanula Germination Help

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 8, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8386773

I am trying to germinate Campanula persicifolia 'Telham Beauty'. I tried last year and again this year. So far, I haven't been able to get one sprout. If you have had success with this pretty flower, please let me know your secret/s.
http://www.dianeseeds.com/campanula-persicifolia.html
It's a Campanula Peach Leaved Bellflower
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8403973

With the cold winter most of the states have had this year, excessive amount of snow and ice, maybe you are not giving it enough time. Are you sowing indoors or outdoors in milk jugs? I am sowing that flower for first time also; you might contact PGT on DG, as she has successfully grown this plant. I'm sure Diana Lindsey of Diane's seeds will be able to advise you also. Send her an email.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8403999

I have a pkt of seeds not started yet...please keep posting about this. What have you tried that didn't work? Thanks, Pam
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8404288

I tried two different methods to propagate Campanula 'Telham Beauty.
I baggie sowed February 14th.
I got sprouts in the baggie February 27th. The seeds completely sprouted Feb 28th with a tiny root. At this point, I didn't know what to do. I let them set a couple of days and yesterday, March 3rd, I put them on top of the wet soil in a six pack and gently worked the root into the soil and put them under lights. I had to use a magnifier to actually see the leaves when I placed them on top of the soil. I was afraid to leave them in the baggie any longer for fear they would rot. I don't think they will make it. Their so tiny.
I WS the C. "Telham Beauty" and set it outside February 14th.
Nothing, Nothing, Nothing. When I saw sprouts in the baggie, I concluded the seed needed more warmth. I brought them in Feb. 27th and put them under lights-about three inches to the left of a light, e.g. not direct. I had one healthy sprout March 2 and another March 3rd. The surface looks dry, so I am going to put some water in an aluminum roasting pan and set the soda bottle in it to let the soil absorb the water. I believe this is better than trying to water the weak tiny plants from the top.
In fact, this is the way I have been getting my soil wet both WS and under lights---set the pot in a basin of water. This is the first year I have done it this way so I don't know if it will work. I have some foxglove, candytuft and something else sprouted. So, maybe this method will work--it's a lot less messy and easier. Of course, we've received some rain.

In summary, I am thinking growing under lights may be the best method. Or, who knows, maybe putting them outside in the cold for a week and then inside under lights which I am thinking may be the case. If you think of there origin, it's alpine--mountains-cold.

I really like the flowers, but they probably won't make it in my warm humid summer. I wanted to try, however.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8404323

From what I've read in various places on DG, once seeds sprout in a baggie they should be planted. It sounds like you did the right thing there. Did you chill the baggie first or leave it room temp?
For WS seeds, they leave them out, and when the temps are right they sprout and grow outside. So if it's cold, it may take a while, but once it warms up outside they'll take off, from what I've read..
Sprouting under lights sounds fine too. I have a spray bottle with a weak fertilizer solution and a little hydrogen peroxide in it for when I think the surface looks dry and the sprouts are still so small I'm afraid they'll die, or for when I first plant the little ones.. In general I bottom water in cell trays with the same solution.
Maybe I'll try the baggie method this time, as I'm doing all the early planting indoors. thanks!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8404409

Pfg: I tried to WS Telham Beauty last year and nothing ever sprouted. I am encouraged this season as they sprouted after I brought the ones I WS inside.
I did get sprouts from C. 'Cup and Saucer' by WS last year.
I have C. carpatica 'Blue Clips' and C. carpatica 'White Clips' as WS right now--and have no germination.
Here's an article I just came across that may help us grow Campanulas. It's a little "scientific", but somewhat helpful.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8405494

Can you post a link to it?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2011
11:30 PM

Post #8407557

I am growing: campanula glomerata `Aucaulis', started 2/15,sprouted 2/21; and campanula persicifolia Alba, started 2/15, sprouted 2/26. I make my own potting soil from peat moss, broken up finely with no lumps and add peralite, mix good and dampen lightly. Sprinkle seeds and add a light layer or vermiculite on top. I spray them with a fine mist of water and place them in a tray with a clear plastic cover to allow light in, also helps retain moisture. Checking every day, twice a day, I mist them every time, seeds need moisture to sprout, making sure they don't get water logged, after seeds are up and growing a while, then they get removed from the enclosed tray to a seperate tray with no lid. Once they get out into the room air they get misted several times a day and watered a day or two. Usually I pot everything on in a few months to individual pots and as soon as it gets warm enough usually after last frost I put them outside to grow on in the shaded area till I can get them in the ground. I hate to admit it but might be months til I get around to it. (Have 90+ varieties am growing from seed and take a bit of time to pot on, then you have to weeeeeeed, work the soil, add amendments and plant. Ya, and I love all of it.(lol). Sure wished I could have found Campanula pyamidalis this year, anyone seen it available in any catalog this year? thanks. Good Luck, Kathy.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8408988

Here's the article I found. I thought I had it copied and pasted in the thread above. Sorry. http://www.gpnmag.com/Cool-Campanula-article6389
I just returned from an weekend outing and am really tired. I will study the above thread later. But thank you for sharing your information. Birder.
My babies are probably dead. I have been gone two days. I requested hubby to spray and watch, but I am thinking he didn't do it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America