Photo by Melody

Antiques and Collectibles: Quilts -How do you determine age & value?

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 3, Views: 90
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

February 22, 2011
10:36 PM

Post #8387633

I've been cleaning out my mom's house. I know we have several quilts that were made by my great grandmother; however, I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on determining age and value. Are the measurements a clue to age?

I came across this one with no note attached. Can any of you tell if it's old? What the pattern is called? I can post more photos if I know what to take a picture of.

Thanks for your help.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8391790

Yes, age can sometimes be determined by the size of the quilt. You don't find antique ones that are king-size, for example. Also the absence of machine stitching can be an indicator of age as well as the type of fabrics used in the quilt.

The market often determines the value. I would take it to someone in your area who has a reputable antique store or to someone who is heavily involved in quilt-making and let them take a look at it. You can compare prices to other quilts in antique shops. Age and condition are two big determining factors in the value of any quilt.

I am not a quilter and don't know that pattern but it is quite nice looking. Someone will probably know, especially if you can find a quilter in your area. They are usually familiar with a lot of the standard patterns. Perhaps someone will come along here who is a quilter and will know the name of that pattern. It is always good to know that.

darlindeb
Claremore, OK

February 25, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8393101

Thanks!

I think I'll try posting this in the sewing area.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2011
10:50 PM

Post #8393304

Here's a list of quilters' guilds in Oklahoma. There's actually one in your town! They should be able to help you out.

http://www.quiltguilds.com/oklahoma.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America