Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Planting potatoes- Soil or air temp?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 117
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
addicted2plants
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8388062

Hi,

I've planted potatoes before but order usually doesn't arrive till approx. May 1st. Seemed to me that it was too late because St. Louis, Zone 6, gets very hot very quickly in May and high heat impacts potato size (or that was my excuse LOL). This year ordered a special earlier delivery and potatoes arrived yesterday (Russian Banana Fingerlings). I see some advice that says you can plant 3-4 weeks before last frost date. But...if I am able to cover in case of freak snow, which would likely melt very next day, can I get away with planting the first or 2nd week of March?

Anybody use soil temps to plant or is everybody just going with 3-4 weeks before last ave. frost date?

I do have southern facing area available that is full sun and seems almost a microclimate 1 zone warmer, according to my results there.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8388140

I think you'd be safe, as long as you have a contingency to protect your tender vines from any frost. The parts underground should survive an overnight dip or frost, too.

I grew mine in washing machine tubs and 20-gallon SmartPots...excellent drainage.

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

paradacrades
Hilliard, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8388157

Here in Florida, I plant my potatoes around the end of January--about 6 weeks or so before the last expected frost--and have good luck with them. As far as ordering potatoes from a mail order seed company, I have never had good luck with that. Your best bet would be to go to a local feed and seed store. They will carry the best potatoes for your area.
markkromer
Apopka, FL

March 7, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8411371

My red potatoes are about a foot tall now. I do plant them early (dec or jan) and cover up the small plants with leaves from the yard. I pile them on heavy and then simply rakes them away after the cold weather. They were old sprouters from my kitchen and I also have a big problem with the seed companies which always send too late.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8411741

According to the Illinois Extension Department: "Maximal tuber formation occurs at soil temperatures between 60 and 70F. The tubers fail to form when the soil temperature reaches 80F. Potatoes can withstand light frosts in the spring, although there may be some not-pretty-stem damage."

According to the Kentucky Extension office: "The best time to plant potatoes is about 6 weeks before the last average frost. In zone 6 for early potatoes that is from March 1 to April 10; for the late crop, June 15. The late planting will generally give a lower yield than the spring planting."

On a personal note: I spent the majority of my life in the KC, MO and Omaha, NE area and we would always shoot for a St. Patrick's Day planting.

It's best to use uncut seed potatoes. If you have to cut them, be sure to use a clean knife and then left them air dry to scab over before planting to help cut down on possible disease.
addicted2plants
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8413644

msrobin,

Thanks for soil temps:) I remember reading somewhere about high temps but never a low temp. Looks like we are right in the range to plant. Now all I need to do is find more space in the garden. I never seem to have enough space!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8414083

Might try growing potatoes in containers. This site has links for several alternatives. http://kitewrite.wordpress.com/2009/04/28/how-to-plant-potatoes-in-containers-tons-of-options/
bookie71
Anchorage, AK

April 10, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8485290

We had pretty good luck with kitty litter buckets last year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America