Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Morning Glories: Living in USA

Communities > Forums > Morning Glories
bookmark
Forum: Morning GloriesReplies: 94, Views: 1,014
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 24, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8390340

Just reactivated my account. I finally move back to USA after living in Japan for 20 years. Recently some members had been emailing me about obtaining morning glory seeds from me. I finally found the boxes that the seeds were stored in and will make them available ASAP. I'm entering a new chapter in my life therefore all the negative stuff is behind me. I'm not a hater but a motivator and still have all the seeds available in Japan and those I've obtain from Kyushu. Still have a few rare ones that's not available outside of Japan. Glad to be back home.

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 24, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8390345

I meant to say rare ones that not available outside of Japan.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8390426

WELCOME BACK to Dave's and the USA

ps love the mg

This message was edited Feb 24, 2011 2:47 PM
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 24, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8390480

Hi imzadi, I remember you and thanks. Glad to be back home. Will you be growing MG this season?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 24, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8390590

Hi Dee, Welcome back! I'm glad you haven't held all the negativity against us, and things have certainly changed here. Will you be making the seeds available through the DG marketplace or? Let us know. I'm glad others did dmail you, this will help all of us. You did get some good varieties before and I got some rare ones from you too. Are you also growing some this coming year?

A.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8390657

i am gonna try . I f you do make them available let me know too.

Hi Antoinette

This message was edited Feb 24, 2011 5:06 PM
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 24, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8390744

Hi Gourd, yes i'll be growing this season. My new job keeps me busy and I'm also studying online at CTU. Man I missed a lot while living in Japan and been playing catch up since returning to the states. I'll let you guys know soon where to get my seeds. No big deal there. You know when I was in Japan you guys helped me out trading for seasoning, dry food, candies for the kids, ect... remember that? That was cool. I just got off from work. Will be online tonight.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8390792

I remember sending candy and seasonings. Time flys. Tell you how long last we talked my daughter was still in high school. she is about to finish her first year at college.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 24, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8391027

Welcome back, Dee! We are still using the Japanese newspaper you sent me for my class here in Florida. :-) I, also, got some neat MG vines from some of the seeds you sent me a few years ago! Thanks again for sharing those! :-) Glad to hear that you will be growing some this year. Do you still have connections in Japan to get JMG seeds? I remember you grew a LOT of vines several years ago!
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 24, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8391250

Hey guys, I been online studying and just finished my third assignment. Hope I get another A and that will be 3 for 3. beckygardener wow! you still using that Japanese newpaper. That's awesome and I do remember sending it. Lots of good memories here. Yes I still have family and friends in Japan. My oldest daughter is here with me and going to college. She loves it here.

I have a lot of seeds that I'll share with you guys but hope to sell some too. Got to pay bills you know. I did try and let some people sell for me but that did not work out therefore I'll be doing all the morning glory stuff myself. No one else just me. At 55 I'm still having fun. God has been good to me and I hope to share some good fortune with you guys. true that.

Hey yall I missed a lot. I moved to Japan in 1986 and moved back to USA in 2009. Still trying to catch up. OMG, my english is bad LOL :) Glad to hear from yall.

Thumbnail by MGJapan

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8391329

Good to see you back Dee.

Jackie
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 24, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8391343

Hey patootie, Jackie... glad to be part of this forum again. What morning glory will you be growing this year?
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 24, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8391345

Dee - What classes are you taking?
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8391351

Dee, I'm not sure yet. I have tons that I could start, lol. Every yr I get further and further behind on all the beautiful choices that I have. :-)
Dee thats thanks to all the generous traders we have on this forum.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2011 11:39 PM
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 24, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8391355

I'm studying to get my Bachelor Of Science in Information Technology with focus on network management at Colorado Technical University. It's cool too. Hey I applied and got me grant.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 24, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8391359

Very cool, Dee! Congrats on the grant to take college courses!

I agree with Jackie ... so many generous traders here! We've gotten some really wonderful seeds/vines with some amazing blooms over the past couple of years! This year promises to be another terrific year for gardening and growing JMGs! So many JMG seed choices, so little time and space! LOL!

I'm off to bed ... later gators!
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 24, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8391367

me to, I'm off to bed. Thanks for warm welcome guys.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 25, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8392146

You are never too old to go back to school... good for you! My son is also in the AF and is about to get his degree too, then go for his Masters... hopefully he will have started on it before he gets out. Are those photos of your family? Very nice too, were they dresses for a play or is that normal dress? It was probably a great experience for you to live there for so long.

I'll look forward to hearing from you regarding seeds/trades/purchase. Seems like the festival mixes yielded quite a few rare ones too.

A.
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 25, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8392203

Hey Gourd, lol, no that's not my family ha,ha,ha,ha. Those pics are from a festival and they had just finished performing. I'll miss all the culture stuff but the memories will always be there. I'm glad to be here back home... My family and friends really missed me :)

I'm at lunch now eating an old fashion US made hamburger :) It took me a year but I landed me a job working for the State of Texas as a network analyst. I support the food stamps and medicaid program systems.

Cool, I still should have plenty of the festival seed mixes. You know they gave away a lot of free MG samples and I always got my share. Thanks and I will be sharing with you and the group that I remember trading with. Also looking to make new friends here. Oh and thank yall for the d-mails.

domo arigato,

Dee
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8392250

Yea good for you about going back to school.

I too was wondering about the pic. Was wondering if you were in there somewhere. hehe

Enjoy that hamburger. nothing like home food. hehehe
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 25, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8392280

I'll post a current picture in my profile tonight... Had to go back to school because my skills were old school. lol. imzadi what's the weather like where you are?

dee
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8392332

IT is 75 today. We are finally staying over the 50s during the day. Its like 45-50 at night.

We have had snow 3 times this season the last was a few weeks ago. I know from living here until April 15th anything can happen but hoping it stays this way. I want sun.

Sometimes old school isn't a bad thing. I am in the job market and have been told I am over qualified. A few friends have been told the same. How can you be over qualified for something. A friend told the person she demanded the interview just because she is over qualified doesn't mean she wouldn't work for the pay.

Glad you have a job on coming back. Ok off to get my college student. Marie
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8392366

Welcome back to the US and glad you brought some JMG seeds with you too. Your English seems perfectly fine to me but how cool for your kids to be able to speak multi language.

Dee, I have a BS in Computer Info Sys but I'm from the old school - midrange system. I don't know html and networking stuff. As long as IBM is in business, I can still get a programming job. Who writes RPG anymore.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2011 3:20 PM
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 25, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8392476

Hey LiliMerci, you know what was funny is when I was interviewed by those people, they were all younger than me and did not understand what it was I did when I worked for IBM and Sprint... But I didn't give up. Oh yeah when I first started my job search I'd walked in some office like we did back in the day to see the manager and was told you must go online and apply... Therefore I had to change my approach. lol :( Man I appplied for over 50 positions on monster, career builder, work force solutions and a friend told me the state was hiring so I went to their web site and got a call two week later. :) I didn't know the economy was so bad when I returned.

Will you be growing a lot this season? If you need seeds let me know.
an hour an 1/2 and I'm off for the weekend...

dee
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8392671

Dee - That is very nice that you are offering seeds to folks. Thanks! :-)

The economy is the worst I've ever seen it here in Florida. It's really bad here in Florida! And we see no end in sight. You are lucky to have found a job!
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8393290

Last time I looked for a job, we found it through networking and recruiters. I've gotten most of my jobs through people I know. Now many IT jobs are being contracted out to India. The govt doesn't pay as well but they have excellent benefits and job security. Everyone is hurting in this economy. My husband works for the fedefal govt and he won't be getting a pay increase for the next 2 years. I feel very fortunate that he has a job. My son is going to college in a few years and I'm not sure where to guide him to assure that he can get a job after he spent all that money on a college education.

Dee, I am excited to see/hear about your seeds collection. I was just sharing with Becky about what seeds I should grow out this year. Something good that produces alot of seeds so I can share. Everyone on this forum have been so nice to share. I've learned alot here and I'm glad for the opportunity to grow so many beautiful MG's. The cooler looking the better. And I love the Japanese MGs. The bigger the flowers, the better they are.

imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8393874

Its is Bad here in the states right now. My daughter is in college and she is going into engineering. That is one of the stable jobs here to go into. Nurses is another but the rest seem so unstable. I am trying to find a job. the people through the temp service say for every job you apply for 12 other people are fighting you for it. I don't know whats going to happen to the economy. truth be told I'm scared.

The only thing to de stress I have at the moment is my garden. and its not doing so well at the moment.

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2011
10:04 PM

Post #8394892

imzadi - what kind of engineering? I can't do blood or needles.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8395243

Marie - Here there are 30-50 people applying for any jobs. Florida has been hard hit and things are showing no signs of recovery here. The medical field is where a lot of folks are turning, but here there are lay-offs in that profession. I don't know what jobs are safe here. Politics probably! :-/
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 27, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8395354

Hey have yall notice the price of gas and food going up? I'm thinking about growing some veggies this year too. I like tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, carrots, greens and a few others. The only problem is I don't have the growing space available like I did in Japan. But I have family that does so I'll have to work something out with them. The good thing about being here at Dave's is the tons of information available. I did grow my own tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, and cucumbers in Japan so I do have some knowledge growing those plays. Houston weather is almost the same except for the humidity. Should be fun adventure anyway :)
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8395802

Growing your own veges is the smart thing to do Dee. I worry about a food shortage.
Someone told us Brian williams said that he was also worried about a shortage of food on his nightly news show.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8396219

mechanical engineering then she want to follow up with computer engineering.

Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8396242

There may far worse to come, buckle up for a hard ride as the world situation worsens! Grow yer own is a great idea
but it's about to become far worse as the situation in the middle east develops. A shortage of oil does not just mean no gas for your car, the very life blood of transportation that brings our everyday food to us will be very seriously affected, plastic for food packaging, oil to generate power for refrigeration, demand for food from China, where will it all come from? I believe we are about to experience one of the worlds worst crises in the very near future.
God I hope I'm wrong!
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 27, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8396300

Dollar general has 3 pack of seeds for $1. vegetables and flowers. Just finished with class attending a live chat. We have two of those a week which is cool. We listen to the instructor and interact in a live online setting. Just like school except you're doing it online. Tonight I'll start on my power point assignment which is due next sunday. Power point is new to me.

I did sort thru some of my seeds earlier today and will mail out samples toward the end of march. Got to buy some padded envelopes and a few other items. Been reading a lot of the old threads you guts posted especially "beckygardener's" growing indoors thread which she started in 2009. Good stuff Becky. Also went back and read some of my own...

I'll be here off and on especiall while I'm at work since I have to use a computer. D-mail is a good way to contact me since it will go directly to my regular yahoo mail which I check regularly. Thanks guys

Dee

Thumbnail by MGJapan

MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 27, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8396344

Sorry I wrote "guts" but ment guys...lol
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 27, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8396379

Pajonica I think you're right in your assessment "I believe we are about to experience one of the worlds worst crises in the very near future". I agree unless this situation gets under control soon and not play out.

Dee
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8397014

Very scary Jon. I'm afraid it will just get worse..
As I type Greenbrier Ar just had another earthquake, a 4.7 on the richter.
Thats 5 earthquakes in the past week

Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8397313

We get our fair share of quakes here too! The big one for Tokyo is due anytime, the last one was in 1923 and they occur around every 80 to 100 years. Scary!!
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8397372

Dee sent you a long email. Since now you know what cubits is about.

I try to take it one day at a time. You never know whats gonna happen tomorrow.

someone once said: The past was guaranteed today is promised and tomorrow is yet unwritten. If you think about tomorrow and worry about tomorrow you lose the beauty of today.

I would worry myself to death if I thought about all the bad things in this world. Right now I am a basket case just trying to keep my home and get the help I need for Dh.

Its sad everyone is having troubles
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8398134

Jon, Lets hope that won't happen for a long time.
Greenbrier Arkansas might be very close to the New Madrid fault line that runs thru Arkansas. The 5 earthquakes were the larger ones. No telling how many minor quakes they've had.
Dee, I had stocked up last yr on those vege/flower sds at $ General. Hope my sds are
still viable. Great price as you mentioned.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8399191

Dee - Growing veggies here in my area has become very popular. Probably due to necessity because of the recession. The local garden shops sell out of the veggie plants faster than they do the flowering plants. I am attempting to grow a few tomato and fruit seeds. The bugs here are really bad and attacked my tomatoes last year. The season is heating up here in Florida, so some of the cold weather plants aren't going to make it with the higher current temps. It's very warm here for the end of only February. Spring/Summer has come much sooner than usual here.

Jon - You have a very good point! The oil crisis is going to make it very hard on all countries that depend on oil to run the economy. That's not good for the USA as we still are in recovery from loss of jobs and cost of living increases. This is really going to stretch everyone's incomes. Let's hope it doesn't get that bad.

Marie - That's a really good and very true saying! Enjoy today, because you have no control over the past and don't know what tomorrow will bring. Appreciate the here and now. :-) We are all hanging in there trying to survive. And we will. It might be a challenge though, so keep your sense of humor and faith! :-) Both have gotten me through some very hard times. :-)
MGJapan
Houston, TX

March 1, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8399968

Hey guys, great infomation exchange. I'm at work and will post more when I get off. Had school last night and went to bed early. Lots of positive energy here... thanks

Dee
MGJapan
Houston, TX

March 1, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8400586

Imzadi, embrace the positive things in life and grow in it. Smile in good faith as your ship is coming. thanks.

Becky, have you or anyone tried growing veggies from pots ?? That's what I'll be doing this year. You don't have to deal with humid conditions there do you?

Patootie, yes those dollar stores have some nice deals. Normally I just shop but I'm trying to change and shop smart. :)
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8400657

Dee I have grown Tomatoes and pepper plants in 5 gallon buckets with holes in the bottom for years. I water all the time but had great yields from them. Mine got morning or afternoon sun depending where they were at. More sun when started to produce.
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

March 1, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8400838

I watched a TV gardening show last week and they were growing potatoes in containers, I must give that a go!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 1, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8401053

Last year was my first year growing veggies & fruit and I grew them all in containers. I also tried potatoes but I over-watered them and they never developed blooms (which in turn means potatoes are being produced under the soil). My bell peppers and cherry tomatoes did really well. I also grew eggplant, but the veggies never got very big. Probably needed more fertilizer. I grew all of them in grow bags. I won't do that again. The moisture evaporated too quickly and the plants were always wilted. This year they will be in the buckets ... probably like Marie grew hers. Remember to use organic fertilizer since you plan to eat the harvest. I grew one watermelon plant and got 3 fruits on it, but I over-watered that plant too and all three fruits burst before they got big and mature. I'm trying again this year but with a different tactic. LOL! Don't know how successful I will be, but I will keep trying until I figure it out. It might take me a few more years! LOL LOL
MGJapan
Houston, TX

March 1, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8401141

WOW! solid information. thanks guys :) OK 5 gallon buckets, organic fertilizer, growing containers, and what about the soil?. I'm going to do some research on the topic but I like the idea of getting first hand information from here to me started. That's what's great about our forum right. For those who are reading and don't know us, trust me the knowledge is here about gardening and if we don't know it off hand, we know where to find it. domo arigato!. = thank you very much!

Dee
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 1, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8401230

:-)

I usually just use a good potting soil mix. I like a Fafard potting soil. But there are many other manufactures out there. Usually something that has good drainage is good for veggies and fruit. The best thing is to just google the plant name and see what information comes up. I usually read several sites and also go to the veggie forum here on DG for advice. And folks here also can help with suggestions. :-)
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8401246

I used potting soil I got from Lowe's mixed in 3 month fertilizer and pearilite and sand so not to heavy as some mixes are heavy. I used miracle grow after that . I plan to try the organic miracle grow this year. I change the soil each year as they do take a lot of nutrients. I like the 5 gallon buckets for 2 reasons fix them and they are done for the season no changing from pot to pot. A wire tomato cage can fit around them and they fit in small places and movable.

Don't forget to plant tomatoes half way up plant for a better root system.
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

March 1, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8401311

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_cropsinpots1.shtml
The is lots of info on the web growing veg in containers, there does seem to be a lot of advantages too!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 1, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8401357

Good advice, Marie! I agree with everything you said! :-)

Jon - Containers are the way to go for many plants! You should consider it when you are able to start gardening again. :-)
MGJapan
Houston, TX

March 1, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8401371

Pajonica domo, Great information man! I'll be growing me some veggies this season plus morning glory.

Thanks Beckygardener, Imzadi and Pajonica,, you guys are great !
I'll post my result in the vegetable growing forum and will let you guys know.

Dee
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 1, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8401390

Looking forward to all the good stuff everyone will be growing this year! :-)
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

March 1, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8401432

In the future I plan to grow much more in containers, so much easier to control weeds and bugs. My gardening time will be very limited this year and next but I will be back in there in the future!
Thanks All!
Jon
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8402456

Jon - Anyway to plant some MGs in a container or two this year ... just to have some vines to enjoy? I don't think a couple of containers of MG vines would be too much trouble.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8402812

Jon you have to at least plant something. You gotta have at least one Mg to enjoy.
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8403169

I will of course plant something, I have 20 bags of potting compost left over from last year and a number of terracotta pots (love terracotta). Time is my enemy right now but I have to have at least something in the garden or summer just won't be summer which would make the winter all the longer and depressing! I'm thinking of around 20
favorite MGs my beloved busy lizzie and portulaca at least. It's so hard to do all I want to right now but things will improve once both the kids are at school, for now they are my main priority! Who'd be a dad? I would.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8403229

True, true, Jon! You have your priorities straight! :-) Being a Dad is the top priority!

Oh! You would get a nice show with 20 pots of plants! Your MGs did great last year, so all you really have to do is add the potting compost, plant the seeds, and water ocassionally! :-)
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8403331

Dad is top important but you can also start teaching them mgs too and the love of playing in dirt and growing things. I could never get my daughter to take to it very much. :(
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8403338

No one else in my family is into gardening. Only me. They all think I am crazy to get outside in the yard, sweat, and get filthy dirty. One day though, they will be wishing they paid better attention to how I grow everything. Hindsight, ya know! LOL!
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8403428

lol My Dh yells at me go change out your good clothes he says I am dressin up for my flowers.Lol I love to be in the dirt. I dont know what I would do if I could not be. Glad I can be
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 2, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8403594

Well, guys, here is where I grow my veggies and gourds too.. raised bed that are made from 6"x6"x8' and there are three rows of these wooden 6x6s all around. The bed are in front of this Studio being built right now, this photo was a few days ago and I am in the process of cleaning the beds out and fertilizing in there.. I've had good luck with tomatoes, zuccinni, onions, potatoes, basils, flowers, etc.. peas, beets and not good luck with beans for some reason.

My new studio to be and the beds are in front, we have 7 of these raised beds so far, we will put in two more maybe this year, don't know if my energy will last..lol

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 2, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8403595

Well, guys, here is where I grow my veggies and gourds too.. raised beds that are made from 6"x6"x8' and there are three rows of these wooden 6x6s all around. The beds are in front of this Studio being built right now, this photo was a few days ago and I am in the process of cleaning the beds out and fertilizing in there.. I've had good luck with tomatoes, zuccinni, onions, potatoes, basils, flowers, etc.. peas, beets and not good luck with beans for some reason.

My new studio to be and the beds are in front, we have 7 of these raised beds so far, we will put in two more maybe this year, don't know if my energy will last..lol

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 2, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8403598

Sorry about the double post.

Here it is in the middle of cleaning up at a distance, you can see all the raised beds. What a mess!

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 2, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8403605

Here is a close-up of the front of the building, I'll be starting my seedlings inside the studio and the cattle panels you see usually are covered with gourd vines, grapes, and honey suckle, some mgs, and sweet pea plants... This year, I'll move things around some. There will be more glass block above the porch area and there is another porch in the back of the building... and my french doors .. I'm so anxious.

Thumbnail by Gourd

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8403624

Okay ... I just have to say this Antoinette ...

I AM JEALOUS!!! What a great set-up! Obviously you put a lot of thought into what you wanted. I love your raised beds and that studio... awesome! What a lovely place to garden and to do all your arts n craft work! You have to share some photos this summer so we can see all the plants. I can imagine myself walking through all that and picking veggies and fruit! I really like the height on the raised beds. You don't have to stoop down, everything is at a comfortable working height! Wonderful area ... ALL of it!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 2, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8403640

The nice part about them being raised is that there are hardly ever any weeds.. and I get to sit down on the ends too. I also have them on a drip system although I usually have to provide some water on the really hot days. Thank you for the compliments, I designed this studio and the builder made it exactly as I sketched it. I can't believe he did it and didn't change anything, only the glass block, I wanted regular windows so that I could put in my stained glass windows, but he convinced me to get the glass block. Now, if you guys ever want to come and visit, this studio has a bathroom and shower.. no kitchen, but, there will be a microwave and small refrigerator... I'll provide a cot of sorts..lol If they are not done in three weeks, I'll start my seedlings in my kitchen again..lol,

A.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8403645

How big is your studio? How many square feet? It looks large!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 2, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8403649

It is 20 feet by 33 feet.. It is a nice size and tomorrow all the electrical work will be hooked up.. and I'll try to get that area somewhat clean. Well, I'm off to bed, ttyl. Have a great night.
A.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8403653

yes I agree with Becky, what a fabulous studio Antoinette! I would love to have something like that to paint in.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8403657

That IS a nice size building! You can do a lot in one that size! Can't wait to see a photo when it is completed! Your home and garden areas and patios are fabulous! :-) Your artistic eye is obvious in all the small personal art work and crafts all around your home! :-)
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2011
11:41 PM

Post #8403771

A wonderful studio A. I love it.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2011
3:36 AM

Post #8403842

wow

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8403901

Jon one of the best things you will ever do for your kids is teach them the love of gardening...my two GDs love it, can't keep them out of the dirt!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 3, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8404108

Thank you guys!
A.
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 3, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8404260

A. that is really a nice studio and garden you have, wonderful !!!
MGJapan
Houston, TX

March 3, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8404359

Gourd, wow! what can I say. Well done. I can't wait to see how you'll transform it into a work of beauty. I'm glad you're still here posting on Dave's Morning Glory Forum. We're bless to have you here. thanks

Dee
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 3, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8405706

Lillimerci, Helena, Marie, Becky, Marie, Dee, Well, thank you so much. It has been a long time in coming and a whole lot of work. I'm anxious to start making some stained glass windows and other projects. Maybe I can grow a few mgs while at it and this time I can water as I work on something else.

Dee, I wish you well on your veggie growing projects and I know you will do well.

Becky, Marie, Jackie, Helena and which veggies are you planning on growing? I ordered several of the veggie selections parks had to offer this year and I am hoping I get some good seeds there. I really want to start collection some of the heirloom seeds. Do any of you guys have black or the variegated sugar cane (sticks) to trade? I'd love to get my hands on some of those. They make great wind breaks for me here. Last two years I've used corn as a wind breakers.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2011
10:25 PM

Post #8405756

A,. I would love to grow green bell peppers and my own onions. I love them stir fried togather, At 2.98 a lb for tomatoes, that would be another good vege to grow.
crook neck squash is a good choice too.
I don't have sugar cane sticks, wish I did.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2011 12:34 AM
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2011
3:38 AM

Post #8405877

I plan to do peppers and tomatoes and squash and some others this year.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8406651

Several different tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, watermelon, cantalope, lettuce mix, and a variety of herbs. :-) Every year I plan to try growing something new to add to the mix. But right now I am still trying to figure out how to grow the above successfully.

Veggies are a lot different here to grow than flowers. The bugs give me a run for my money! LOL!
helenahkh
Gautier, MS

March 5, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8407792

I already sowed snow peas, cucumbers and spinach, I'm trying these for the first time. I hope I succeed with these, won't try tomatoes which had major white flies several years ago.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8408563

MGJapan wrote:Hey have yall notice the price of gas and food going up? I'm thinking about growing some veggies this year too. I like tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, carrots, greens and a few others. The only problem is I don't have the growing space available like I did in Japan. But I have family that does so I'll have to work something out with them. The good thing about being here at Dave's is the tons of information available. I did grow my own tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, and cucumbers in Japan so I do have some knowledge growing those plays. Houston weather is almost the same except for the humidity. Should be fun adventure anyway :)
3.49 a gallon of 87 gas here.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8409115

Debra - I think it's about the same here now, too! I've heard it may be $4 per gallon by the end of March. Ugh.
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8409399

Yep our gas is getting more expensive too 135 yen per liter yesterday! That works out about the same as yours.
Time I bought a bike I think. I have a very small car just 660 cc does about 60 mpg so no big deal for me.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8409675

Adding my Urk! to the gas situation and all it implies.

A - adding congratulations for your studio - looks like wonderful possibilities harboring in its future for you :)
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 9, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8416514

Thanks Karenblue, I am so anxious for them to finish... today they started to put the first layer to stucco... the winds here have been so bad the past three days that they didn't do much work there. I'm anxious to grow some mgs in there too..

The gas has gone up here also, 3.50 here too, it will probably go up to 4.00 soon.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8417546

it cost me almost $50 to fill my van up the other day!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 9, 2011
9:29 PM

Post #8417625

I hear ya, Nicole! Ridiculous, isn't it?!!!

I've read that gas shortages alone could cause another recession. Let's hope that doesn't happen! All the more reason to grow some of your own food. Veggie seeds and plants are in very big supply and demand here in my area right now. I can't believe how many rows of veggie starter plants there are at HD now! Unbelievable! But ... kinda cool, too! My dad would've loved to see that. He came from a farming family and had it in his blood. I think he passed some of those genes on to me! :-) I love gardening and trying my hand at just about anything worth growing! :-)
dany12
szarvas
Hungary

March 9, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8417637

Jon, not a bike but a horse or a donkey! lol
If I put the gas to U.S. mesures in Japan costs: 7,17 USD / gallon.
In Europe prices are even higher:
From $ 8,23 to $ 10,93 a gallon.
Oh my god, we need donkey !
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

March 9, 2011
11:45 PM

Post #8417677

I wish I had room for a donkey LOL!
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8419518

Actually, for Xmas I asked for a bicycle. I'm waiting for warmer weather to purchase one. I'm not a cold weather girl.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 11, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8420358

I like the bike idea, too! :-) I live close enough to my job that I could ride a bike to and from work. Shopping is also near me, but I buy groceries once a month, so would need a very large wagon attached to a bike to be able to do my food shopping! LOL!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8421153

I am so glad you are living in the USA now.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8421606

Well, I've seen pple put a milk crate on the back of their bike to hold stuff. I live less than 5 miles from grocery stores and shopping ctr. My kids and I are going to try to ride bike to the pool this summer.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help mingsmimi 5 Jul 18, 2009 4:33 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America