Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 24, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8390521

I had to replace the power supply in my computer and now get this error when turning it on...'no input source go to power save'
There is no display on the monitor now. I have 3 different slots (?) that I can plug my monitor into, I get the same error on each slot and not display on the monitor.
Thank you in advance.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8390870

Did you have the exact oem replacement model of ps?
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 24, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8390877

I'm not sure rose. The old ps was a Bestec 3000 wt. and the new one is a Real Master 350 wt.. Does this help?
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8390953

Did you mean 300W instead of 3000W? The important thing is the ps plug which connects to the motherboard is the same configuration and the various voltages are the same. I can check the specs on the internet to see if they are the same. Generally, it is best to use a ps of a higher wattage output when making a replacement.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8390987

Need the make & model of your pc to check the motherboard. The two power supplys are nearly identical except for one has an additional plug for a certain type of motherboard. Going to the larger output generally is better but it must match the motherboard.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 24, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8391092

Yes I did mean 300 Rose. The neighbor who replaced the ps is coming over with a monitor to see if mine is indeed bad. I will let you know what we find. Thank you so much, I will certainly ask her about the new ps and the additional plug.
Thanks again.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8391598

Did you mean that there are 3 slots to plug a video card into instead of 3 slots to plug the monitor in?

Do you have a video card or is it on the motherboard?

Trying another monitor may help some but if the monitor powers up it is probably okay. You can also test your monitor on another computer.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 25, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8392033

I know for sure the one on the motherboard does not work, there are 2 other slots that can be used, they don't work right now either. Neighbor never showed up with monitor, hopefully today she will. She repairs computers for a living. Just thought I'd ask here and see if there was something I could try.
Thanks so much.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8392071

Can you power the monitor up and does it have a menu to adjust settings (or is it an older monitor that has some knobs for adjustment?) I'm just trying to get an idea on the condition of the monitor.

Is the video card new or has it been in use for quite a while?

What are you using in the interim to post on DG? Can whatever machine you are posting from be used to test the monitor?
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 25, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8392303

The monitor is about 5 or so years old, it's a Sony, a flat screen. It has an on/off button and when I turn it on, it goes from green to yellow. It's not like the older heavy monitors. There are adjustment buttons on it also. The only video I get on it is the error mentioned in my first post.
The video card is about that old also. The girl that replaced the ps says that there is 3 slots, one on the motherboard which she's sure does not work.
I am posting on Dave's from dh's laptop.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8392361

I never heard of a slot on a motherboard but perhaps she meant a graphic/video controller on the motherboard? My ancient PC (long gone) had the video on the motherboard go belly up. I bought a video card and put it in an available PCI slot but I had to toggle a DIP switch on the motherboard to disable the video before I could use the new video card. Anyway it sounds like you may have a video card problem or a cable problem rather than a monitor issue (if you can see anything on the monitor then it is probably AOK).

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8392489

You need to go back to square one. If you can see a message on your monitor, it may be ok. I assume you were running the monitor off your video card prior to the ps change. You may be able to go into your pc setup mode and turn the original motherboard monitor socket on. Pull out the video card before you start your pc so there will be no conflicts. Turn the pc on and as it does it's POST there should be an 'F' key to press in order to access the setup mode. Check your manual. Go into setup, find the line for video and select it. Turn on the on-board video and make sure the add-on video card is turned off. Obviously, you need to plug the monitor into the MB socket before doing any of this. If this doesn't work, wait until you can get a known good monitor to use for a test.

You can also test your's by connecting it into your laptop port, if the plug/socket matches. Check the laptop manual for using an external monitor. Most laptops will work that way. They sell docking stations and port replicators for that very use.

New flatscreen monitors are not all that expensive if you must replace it.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8392519

Good point OldGardenrose. Do try the monitor on the laptop. More than likely you will have a VGA port on the laptop and by the age of your monitor it is probably only VGA. You will have to find the right combo keys to send the output from the laptop to the monitor. For instance on my HP laptop the combo would be FN+F4. I would have to continue hitting FN+F4 several times to send the output to an external monitor only, external monitor and built in monitor, use external monitor as an extension to the built in, and finally built in monitor only.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 25, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8393011

Thank you so much for trying to help me. I am very computer illiterate (you probably noticed) and yes I'm sure she said the video/graphic controller on the motherboard and I somehow misunderstood.
She came over with a monitor and it still did not work on mine. So she says it's a motherboard issue, took it home with her and will try to figure out what is going on.
I appreciate you taking the time to explain to me about what might be going on. I will update you on the saga as it continues. Now I'm using dh's laptop which is a dinosaur and so very slow.
You have been so very helpful and patient with me.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

February 27, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8395798

Turns out it wasn't the monitor after all. She had to replace the 350 w with a 450 w ps. Problem solved.
Thank you so much for trying to help me. I truly appreciate the input.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8396589

This is a good layman's treatment of the power supply subject. When I purchased a high end video card about 2 years ago, it specified a minimum wattage ps my pc must have.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Understanding-Desktop-PC-Power-Supply-Wattage_W0QQugidZ10000000008098977
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8396685

This may help, too:

http://www.journeysystems.com/power_supply/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America