Photo by Melody

Canning, Freezing and Drying: I'm need calculating info please...

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 3, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8391120

Does anyone happen to know approximately how many pounds of corn seed one needs to plant to feed a family of 4 for 1 year? We eat corn just about every day of the week and I would like to can all our own corn for this year. I've got to start cutting family expenses and we have the land...not to mention I love gardening, and so trying to grow our own food, enough for a whole year, is something I'd like to try my hand at. I just don't know how much to plant...

I really appreciate your help if you have a "formula" or experience with this.

Can't wait for spring!
Thanks!
Glenda
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8391700

What about figuring out how many cobs your family eats a week, multiplying by 50 to get the cobs needed for year, and then using the number of cobs needed to figure it out based on the variety of corn you decide to grow, since some will grow more cobs than others. Any company that sells seed will usually have at hand the information of how many seeds/oz., so once you have the info of how many cobs and how much a corn plant of the variety you want to grow should produce, add a percentage of seed for failures (I usually add 10%, but this is for other veggies than corn), and then you have got the number of seeds you need to get. I would also check to see if there is a cooperative extension that recommends corn varieties for your area. Then you could check into those varieties and see how much they typically produce.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8392337

If I remember correctly a bushel of sweet will make about a canner load (7 quarts) of corn. A bushel of corn is about 60 ears.

A pound of corn seed is about 3000 seeds. If you figure about 2/3 actual live and grow an ear of corn, that's about 33 bushels of sweet corn or about 230 quart jars of canned corn.

One question I'd ask myself do we eat corn everyday because that is what we like to do or that is what we can afford to do. For example it isn't any more expensive to grow string beans instead of corn.

Two books I recommend is "Putting Food By" and "Stocking Up" They've been out since the seventies. I think "Putting Food By" is now to the fourth edition and "Stocking Up" in the third edition. Try checking them out of the Library and see if they are helpful to you.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2011 11:08 PM
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8393151

Paracelsus and Doug9345, thank you both! It all makes sense and it's exactly what I needed to know. Doug, I couldn't believe it, I JUST bought "Putting Food By" (the latest edition) and was about to set down and look at it when I read your post! How's that for timing! lol Looks like I'm on the right track! I will get right to work on this!

I really appreciate all your help. :)
Glenda

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America