Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Spring 2011 - What's blooming in your garden?

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

I know many of you still have cold weather, but thought I'd start a new thread to bring some Spring cheer to everyone! Here's what's blooming in my garden currently. The weather has warmed up and new buds and blooms are making their entrance. :-)

This is Silver Moon Clematis! A new one for me from a co-op last year as a teeny plant. The bloom is bigger than the vine right now! LOL!

Thumbnail by beckygardener

My Sunny Knock-out rose bush must have a virus of some sort and is producing speckled blooms! LOL!

Another of many speckled rose blooms! LOL!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Nice Clematis Becky but the speckled Knock-Out Rose bush is really showy.
I love it.

Jackie - Thank you! I laughed and laughed when I saw the Speckled rose blooms! Y'all know how much I like speckled blooms! LOL!

And last is a photo of Dutchman's Pipevine (Aristolochia fimbriata). It has tiny blooms! I'll have to try to take a photo of one of the blooms sometime this weekend! I love the leaves on this vine!

Houston, TX

beckygardener I'll be reading your threads. You always did post some good material.

Becky, please do send us a pic when yours blooms. I wish I could grow the
Dutchmans pipes a little better. I just don't do well with these.

Jackie - Thank you! I can't believe my rose blooms are speckled! LOL! The pink Knock-out rose bush is producing a tie-dye type of bloom pattern. Very pretty! I should probably post on the rose forum and ask what causes it. It doesn't appear to be harming the plants. And my roses are HUGE this year! I didn't even know they could get that big. I always thought KO roses were small almost teacup sized. Apparently not! LOL!

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Love the clematis, I have zone envy big time, more snow coming here this weekend.

dem2rd - I, too, have become a clematis fan! But I still love my JMGs!

Here's two different blooms on my Pink KO rose bush.

Another bloom. You can see the tie-dye effect on the blooms. I have no idea why that is happening, but I like the effect a lot! ♥

My 2 climbing Japanese Cramoisis Superieur roses are growing up the sides of the arbor and have reached the very top. The blooms now danging down from the slats of the arbor roof. I love it! My dream of having an arbor with roses! :-)

This is a photo of old and new rose blooms looking up at the top of the arbor! ♥♥♥

This message was edited Feb 25, 2011 10:09 PM

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

I don't know why it looks like that, but really pretty!

I love the tie dye pattern

Thanks, dem and Jackie! Never seen roses do that before. They are all in containers, not the ground.

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

I don.t have any perennials in containers here, other than the ones I drag in for the winter. I see David Austin roses in containers on their site and think about it...so far too chicken.

dem - Most of the roses I grow are Knock-out roses. And everything is in containers except one lonely Don Juan rose plant. Which would probably do better in a container too. I might eventually dig that plant up and grow it in a pot! ;-)

You should try one rose bush in a container and see how it does. You might find it works well for you!

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

I think I might, maybe DA grace in a blue pot.

Don't forget that any roses in containers may need to be watered more often than in the ground. And fertilize regularly like you would if they were in the ground. I found out the hard way that they weren't getting enough water and had some wilted rose bushes until I figured out I needed to really soak the plants in the containers at least twice a week. :-) More in summer!

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

I'll toss it into the pond

LOL! That's one way to water them! LOL!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Zone envy here :)
I do have some lovely shamrock blooming here in the house.

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Love those Shamrocks, Pixie! :-) I tried growing them here, but it apparently was too hot. :-(

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Have you tried the these?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56849/
I grow the hardier version outside but these are good for z11

This is mine...

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Pixie - Those are cute little plants. I'll have to check into them! Thanks for the tip! :-)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Mine are tucked in at the base of my lilies and seem to love the afternoon shade they provide.

Pixie - Lilies? Daylilies? That's an interesting idea! I wonder how big their root system is?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Lilies, as in orientals. Mine oxalis are little tiny bulbs.

Great! I grow daylilies. I wonder if I could grow them in my daylily bed under the large blades?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I grow DL's too...about 300+ so I'd say YES ^_^

Holy Cow! 300+ ! Well, you got me beat by a few miles! LOL! You must have a large yard or lots of property?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Both...my house has 3 acres then I bought the a joining field out back...another 15.
This what I see every morning when the sunrises, I couldn't stand the thought of someone buying it and building a house to block my view.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

This is the field after DH bush-hogs it.....can fit lots of DL's in there!

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Beautiful! I can see why you added to your property! :-)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks, as you can tell I live in the country, a real country bumpkin :)
Oh, but i've been to Fl. once and LOVED it!

This message was edited Mar 1, 2011 10:31 PM

Sounds like you've found your own little (or rather large!) piece of Heaven! :-) Thanks for sharing your photos! I envy you all that land! :-) Truly country living! :-)

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Pixie, forget DL's, think about how many roses you could fit?????????? Beautiful pic, wish I had a view that didn't involve a neighbors house!

dem - LOL! I find daylilies more forgiving of neglect than roses. LOL! I always go for the easier plants! LOL! But I love roses, so am growing both. :-) Roses are fussier though...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.