Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Houseplants: Dracaena Warneckii Brown Leaf Spots

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 3, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Krabnut
West Des Moines, IA

February 25, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8392404

Two weeks ago I purchased a Dracaena Warneckii from a local gardening store. Over the last week it has been developing brown spots on its leaves with yellow margins and long thin holes or cuts in its leaves. These have mostly affected the longer older leaves.

The plant is sitting in an internal office, but gets bright artificial light for 8-10 hours M-F. I have watered it with purified water, but it is tough to tell what it was watered with at the store. I have done some reading on the issue and it sounds similar to Phyllosticta maculicola, however, the spots are mostly occuring on the older leaves. I have also heard that improper watering might cause a similar problem. Is there a way that I would be able to determine the definate cause?

Thanks for any help.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8392803

Plants often shed leaves in response to decreasing photo-exposure and/or photo-period. Older leaves are usually the first affected. It's hard to tell from here what it might be, but favored by the odds are over-watering and the reduction in light. You aren't misting, are you? Have you fertilized since you acquired the plant?

Al
Krabnut
West Des Moines, IA

February 26, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8394505

I have not fertilized since I bought the plant and I think I have misted once. I have read some sites that recommend that I should be misted as much as once a day to compensate for dry conditions in the winter. It sounds like maybe you are suggesting that I should not? I hope you are right and that it is simply a period of adjustment for the plant with new lighting conditions, however, being new at this, I just worry that it might be something more like a fungal infection or pests. Thanks for your response.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8395501

A picture would be helpful, but dry air/low humidity is generally only a contributing factor to spoiled foliage. The underlying cause is usually compromised root function due to over-watering or a high level of accumulating salts (from tap water &/or fertilizer solutions) in the soil. Misting only raises humidity surrounding the plants for a matter of a few minutes until the mist has dried. Humidity levels almost immediately return to what they were, making misting very ineffective. Humidity trays can me marginally effective. (You can make very good humidity trays from large cake covers you can buy at bulk food stores - the kind where you buy supplies for large parties, large families, restaurants ... They can be filled with stones, then water. The stones increase the surface area from which water can evaporate. A humidifier is the best way to raise humidity so the roots can keep up with transpiration rates.

One of the most important influences on whether or not your soil will remain unspolied is your choice of soil. Choosing a soil that remains well-aerated, even after you saturate it, allows you to flush out accumulating salts every time you water. Heavy soils demand that you water in sips to reduce the chance of root rot, and the practice of watering in sips ensures the build-up of the solubles that make it difficult for plants to take up water.

Here is what I grow all my houseplants in. It is very fast draining and remains well-aerated ALWAYS. It allows me to water as often as I want or need without risking root rot, and it makes fertilizing simple. Lots of people are using it with wonderful success.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America