Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Gardening by the Moon: Gardening by the Moon Calendar, March 2011

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 14, Views: 185
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8392733

Hello my dear friends, now the gardening weather will soon be ready for all of you to hit the garden, Spring is the season for gardeners all over the world ...

The truth is ( if anyone believes it), I feel generous, I am sending the Sun to you!
Oh, that is painful !!!

I'll have to convince myself that winter is good for me and I'll have be happy to watch you to enjoy that warm and lovely weather and me, me? ... wet and miserable

March
1st Any Root Crops That Can Be Planted Now Will Do Well.

2nd-3rd A Barren Period, Best Suited For Killing Pests. Do Plowing And Cultivating.

4th-6th Good Days For Planting Aboveground Crops. Fine For Vine Crops. Set Strawberry Plants.

7th-8th Cultivate And Spray, Do General Farm Work, But No Planting.

9th-10th Favorable For Planting Crops Bearing Yield Above The Ground.

11th-12th Seeds Planted Now Tend To Rot In The Ground.

13th-14th Best Planting Days For Aboveground Crops, Especially Peas, Beans, Cucumbers And Squash, Where Climate Is Suitable. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens.

15th-19th A Most Barren Period, Best For Killing Plant Pests Or Doing Chores Around The Farm.

20th-21st Favorable Days For Planting Root, Fine For Sowing Hay, Fodder Crops, And Grains. Plant Flowers.

22nd-23rd Excellent Time For Planting Root Crops That Can Be Planted Now, And For Starting Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.

24th-26th Poor Planting Days.

27th-28th Any Root Crops That Can Be Planted Now Will Do Well.

29th-31st A Barren Period, Best Suited For Killing Pests. Do Plowing And Cultivating.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8412351

Thank you Cristina! This is very helpful. And thank you for sending the sun : ) Spring seems to be here a little early this year. But then Texas weather flip flops between hot and freezing in the spring so it is probably too soon to plant here now unless good protection is provided.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8413081

Ladypearl, around here the days are getting shorter and the nights a bit cold, it is a sign that you'll have the sun in all its glory.

I am putting some winter vegetables, we do not have snow in winter , rain and lower temperature, yes. I planted some cabbages and broccoli also coriander, silver beat and
beetroot, will see how they do.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8413342

I am hoping that our weather will dry out some, so that we can get some early crops in. Usually plant peas, cabbage, broccoli, and beets. We are supposed to get more rain this week, so it will be another few days after that before any work can be done.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8414397

defoecat, please send the rain out here to Texas - we need it badly. ; )
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8415070

Wish I could!!
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8416238

The weather has been so weird in recent years. People are getting either too much rain or none. The temperature got into the 80's here in February and that's very strange too.
Cristina, sounds like you will still have a good garden through the fall and winter. How cold does it get in winter time where you live? .
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8418917

Ladypearl, I've been away from my PC, sorry to answer you late.
In Temuco we had as low as - 4 C which is about 25F but only few nights over winter, It doesn't snow.

When is going under 1C,more or less 34F, I cover my plants and I do plenty plants as container gardening that I can move to the baranda, a semi enclosed area that I have and even more I do take a couple of more delicate pots indoors.

We have plenty rain, here is a temperate region but the weather has change and it has rain less the last couple of years and in some places there has been some drought and that was unthinkable in Chile.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8423398

Well it sounds like you have a very nice climate there, Cristina; that's good! Even though we have good, fertile soil here that will grow most anything, our weather gets very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter so that many useful plants cannot survive. We sure need rain right now.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8428870

From the 20th to the 23rd regardless of what it say the calendar and depending on the night temperatures where you live, it will be the right time to plant the 3 sisters. Especially peas. Little green peas. Sugar snap peas. Field peas. Cow peas. Lentils. Pod beans, snap beans, squash, early corn; sow grain crops, hay, fodder crops, soy beans, clovers, and other legumes for pasture and soil cleansings.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8433647

Okay, thank you. I will be able to plant on the 22nd and 23. Hopefully we will get rain soon!!!
LaLambchop
Chapin, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8436367

Thank you so much for this. I have this year's crop of daylily seeds to plant and want to try following the moon calendar. I had no idea of when to do it but will do chores today and plant seeds and transplant from the 20th to the 23rd.
ladybuggfan
Carnation, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8447314

This is fabulous, Thank you! We're following your moon calendar this year and recording our efforts. It will hopefully make for a productive garden as well as information for our science report for school.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8448121

[quote="Ladypearl"]Well it sounds like you have a very nice climate there, Cristina; that's good! Even though we have good, fertile soil here that will grow most anything, our weather gets very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter so that many useful plants cannot survive. We sure need rain right now. [/quote]

Ladypearl ~ It has been raining or snowing since the middle of February. I wish to trade weather with you right now. If it does not dry out before summer comes, that means I will be planting close to, if not in summer! That happened last year, and I am not expecting the same to happen again. January and the first half of Febrary was nice and sunny all month...go figure!

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8449793

We would gladly trade weather with you, Evelyn! Still have not had rain yet. I am using a soaker hose in the garden but plants seem to barely grown on tap water. The ranchers and wheat farmers are really hurting right now since the grass and wheat are barely alive. Our last good rains were last October if memory serves. We did get some snow in February, but it wasn't enough. The weather seems to be strange in many places.
Sure hope it drys out in time for you to get a good garden started.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America