Photo by Melody

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Canning whole-kernel corn: raw pack or hot pack?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 4, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8393307

Two years ago was the first time I tried my hand at canning, and I loved it; canning green beans, tomatoes, and homemade apple sauce. This year I would like to try canning corn. I have two choices - raw pack and hot pack. The Ball Blue Book gives instructions for both but does not say WHY you would do one over the other. Which one do you prefer and why?

Thanks for your help. :)
Glenda
Adobe_Rose
Boise, ID
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8402489

I usually freeze my corn. It is so much better.

However, this year we had so much corn, we ran out of room in the freezer and decided to can some.

We used the cold pack method. To me, it is quicker. As soon as you get enough pints filled, you can start processing them while you are working on the rest.

I don't see a reason for doing the hot pack method. It doesn't reduce the amount of time you have to process it.

My 2 cents...

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8694407

Late answering this, but I agree with Adobe_Rose. I prefer to freeze my corn, too; I like the texture and flavor much better, and find that canned corn seems to get a little discolored, and look less appetizing.

I think the only danger in cold-packing food is that you should use hot, sanitary canning jars, and there is some risk that putting cold food in a hot jar may crack it. I've never personally had it happen, but I think that is the main argument for hot-pack. You put hot food in a hot jar, and then put it in hot water to process it, so you don't have the sudden temperature changes that can shatter the glass. I've done cold-pack tomatoes and cukes with no problem, so don't think corn should be much different.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 15, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8694855

It is recommended that any non acid food is canned in a pressure canner to kill any soil born bacteria. Canning in a regular canner is not safe due to the fact that the boiling water is not hot enough to kill the bacteria, which can cause food poisoning. Only tomatoes and pickled products are safe in regular canners.

I also froze corn. Done as fast as possible since the sugar in corn turns quickly to starch once picked. A farmer wife told me to add a bit of milk and sugar in the water when cooking corn. It really improves the taste that is lost during freezing.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8694870

Sorry, I didn't specify pressure canner. I hardly do hot water baths on anything.

I try to freeze my corn within hours of when it is picked. I don't have room to grow my own, but always buy from one particular lady, who calls me when the good freezing varieties are ready, and we work out a day and time for me to come pick up a lot of freshly picked corn. It is exceptional. Wish I remembered which variety it is!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America