Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions: Easy growers, Columbines

Communities > Forums > Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris CompanionsReplies: 2, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8393817

Columbines are my favorite easy growers. Although there area few places in my garden where I deliberately sow some named varities, I mostly just strip the seed pods off in August and scatter the seed by hand in areas that I want to see them come up next Spring. It is always a delight to see what new ones come up. The original clumps from which I get these seeds are now badly overgrown, almost as if the Columbines were a weed, but since these areas are out of normal sight, who cares! The seed comes up in Sun Or Shade and I don't make any attempt to formally hybridize Columbines, just enjoy the new ones.
nford
Hot Springs Village, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #8996366

I have not tried sowing Columbines, just ordered some plants and tried them in about a half-dozen places. All of them did okay the first year, but none of them have come back. Some started to come back, but didn't seem to last long and never flowered. Others didn't return at all.

I had noted them as something to give up on, but "easy growers" caught my eye, so maybe I'm doing something wrong? We have a lot of trees, so most were in mostly shade, but a few were in morning shade and afternoon sun. Like I said, they all bloomed the first year.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #8997034

I'm pretty sure they don't like "wet feet" especially over winter when they're dormant, but I don't really have a clue about AZ conditions. Maybe you could ask at one of your local nurseries (you know, one where people actually know about plants!) and see what they know about growing them in your area. Sorry to not be of more help!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article roserairie 3 Feb 3, 2009 1:08 AM
Columbines as Iris companions leopoldconnecti 22 Feb 3, 2009 1:16 PM
zone 4 winter sowing maddyrose 5 Feb 5, 2012 10:58 PM
Good Article phicks 1 Feb 3, 2009 1:02 AM
Columbines in Berkeley Springs WV ayla2 1 May 21, 2009 5:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America