-
AuthorContent
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8394078

NOtice Notice notice!!!! My stamps backup is very very low...it sometimes takes more stamps then are sent depending on how full the envelope is...If you can send 6 instead of five...greatly appreciated!!! Thank You

We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1141449/

Chat Thread here also lots of new and old Newbees...be sure to stop in and introduce your self...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152857/

K here we are!! This thread is for Newbie information and questions, No scrambles on this thread...

To get your free seeds

Be Sure to put your dmail name and a note of wants in your envie, along with return name and address
Address exchange is here http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/
You have to add your information to be able to access everyone else's

Please feel free to Dmail me with questions
Many of us "oldies" and some Newbies would like to share our seeds with those of you new to Dave's. By new, we mean you joined in the last 8 months(or so) and are a paying member.
Send me a SASBE (Self addressed, stamped bubble envelope) and we'll send you 10 packets of seeds. (Usually more, depends on our stash) That's all there is to it. Let us know you are sending your envy. Just Dmail me with sent envie today in the subject. You will get a good variety of good seeds.

If you can, stick a note in your envy and tell me they types of things you like. Veggies and Flowers, some seeds you are looking for, stuff like that. It will help me fill your envy. I can't always get just what you ask for, but will try.

Postage keeps going up so now we need five usually,

Send 5 stamps and an address label with your name on it.
4 of the stamps will go back on your return envy, the extra will go into the "pot" I don't use it for personal use, but it helps when some mail comes with postage due and when the "oldies" send boxes of seeds sometimes there is postage due.
Best thing to do is just send me an empty bubble envy with your label and stamps inside. I can use that same envy to send your seeds back. Saves that envy!!
Also, if you will scotch tape the envy to send to me, I can use the self adhesive and won't destroy your envy pulling them open when I get them.
Please make sure you put enough stamps on your envelope you send to me. An empty bubble envy is at least 84 cents, so two stamps. If you are sending seeds, it's more of course.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR D MAIL NAME WITH YOUR ENVY.

I am in the address exchange, so you know where to send the envy. If you can't find it, just d mail and I'll shoot it right to you. At the top of your home page, you'll see the link "EXTRA'S" ,Go into that link, scroll down and you'll see the address exchange this goes to the exchange http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/ you have to add yourself to the exchange then you can get my address.

Oldies! lol If you would like to donate seeds, it would be great.!! I know how much I loved it when I was new and someone sent me seeds to get me started. Now I want to pay it forward and maybe you would too.

For those of you who would like to help the newbies, but just don't have a lot of seed, if you would like to trade for seeds, that is great as well. Send seeds for the newbies and I will send you the same amount back. Put a note in with your DG name and let me know what you are looking for also.
Happy Gardening Everyone,
Robin

Thumbnail by arejay59
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8397982

Those deer better NOT be eating our Robin!

I think it went past me a long time ago - like more than a month. But I may be confused.

Excuse me: I AM confused, most of the time. But I MAY be confused about which Robin went past me multiple weeks ago. It was a big one!

Corey
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8398187

Arejay I sent off the Robin on Feb 1st to Sherman99.
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8398238

i am the one that sent it to brewster new york. it was delivered there. seems to have gotten stuck i guess.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8398336

I think your right it went from Ca to Brewster Ny and it does not want to come to Maine there is just to darn much snow!! 18 more inches last week and snowing today!! Maybe it will turn up!! If there is anyone on the list that did not receive let me know so we can put a package together for you!!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8398583

I'm new here, would love to receive a welcome pack...I also have a couple of things to contribute. Not a lot yet, as I inadvertently left all my seeds - some saved from other years, some bought last fall and some collected- in CT when we closed the house for the winter and had to buy new ones for the early starts.

What is the best size of bubble envelope to get? I'm planning a trip to the PO tomorrow.

Thanks!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8398687

The 6 inch one is best!! Ill be watching!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8399716

Guess what? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1141449/
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8401004

Newbie to arejay: I'm a little confused...which thread is active? I seem to be watching both, and each has a link to the other!
Got the envy today, looking through what I have so I can send at least a couple of things I have extra...should be mailing out tomorrow.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8401463

Hi everyone, THIS is the newest thread. The other one is so long some, especially dial uppers can't make it to the bottom. BUT looks like the RR has been found and ready for her flight back home! Ye Ha. Woo_ Hoo and all that stuff. Seed aholicks, here she comes!
All you newbees ready to start new gardens, look out she is loaded.
Thanks for the new thread Robin. I have wireless internet but it just wouldn't go to the bottom for a week or so on the last thread. It would just freeze. Glad the robin was found and all is well. She just must have needed a rest or a diet to get the lift off. I hear some of the first stops fed her pretty good. Hope everyone has had fun and enjoyed finding new seeds and better show us the new blooms this summer when you get some. Have a great week and soak in some sun. It is beautiful here. I have dafodills and Bradford Pear trees and yellow Forsythia bushes all in bloom. Hyacinths are budded out and won't be long till I see color there. The greenhouse is bursting in color from petunias ad a couple other plants, I can't remember the names of. But very nice. Feels like spring already. I'm getting scared to look around the corner because we always get a freeze in April.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8401659

This is the active thread I am just leaving the other one open for a couple of days so we dont lose anyone!! Then I will close it.
Hi Jan isnt it exciting the Robin is on the way..to someone somewhere!! Yeay!! No freezes this April Jan we did that last year lets skip it this year!!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2011
3:23 AM

Post #8401763

We always seem to have one last SLAP from old man winter in April. Just his twisted sense of humor saying mwahahahahhaahaha (evil laugh) at us!

I noticed yesterday how much the horses and donks are starting to shed, so I'd say we are getting close!!!! Here is DH with our new 'pets'. A new mini siberian burro and a regular size one. This was taken when we first got them home, and 'Powderkeg' didn't want to get out of the trailer! lol That is mini 'Jake' with DH Richard.

Thumbnail by Crit

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8402600

Arejay, the envy got sent off today by my bf...I hope there is enough postage on it. I put 2 stamps, then added the seeds I'm sending. I planned to go get it weighed at the PO to make sure, but then he was going out and just took it and put it in the box outside. I put 6 inside the envy for the return. Please let me know if I owe you more and I will send them asap. Thanks, Pam
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8402932

Ok Pam Ill watch for it!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8403120

Beautiful Burros Crit! Where on earth did you find them. My DH wants to find one. Those are just adorable.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8403305

A friend of ours had them and had to get rid of them, so we took them. I'm not sure where he got them.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2011
3:41 AM

Post #8403851

helloooo all my fellow 'seedy' peeps! yes, I am BACK! took a brief hiatus from DG (another way to say my subscription lapsed. hehe) but now that Spring is here, and my Butterfly garden is just screaming to be redone, I will be spending alot of time here... you've been warned, lol.

Robin, II will be sending some seeds later on in the season for the newbies... I'll drop some postage in as well to help with your dwindling stock pile :)

Getting ready this weekend to layout and plant the new butterfly garden, which has been moved from its previous location. I always start it off with plants at first, and then seed through spring. The former Butterfly garden is now the herb garden. yup, yup, lotsa stuff going on here.

Hope to be seeing all my old DG buddies and make some new ones.

P.S. anyone know a really good source for coneflower plants?

Glad to be back ,

-cue

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8404504

YIPPIE!!! Heloow Cue! You can even bring Lucy, but make her behave.
Welcome home girl! Big smile.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8404729

Lucy is very glad the chilly weather is over (for the most part), she was beginning to eye the dog. She has a touch of cabin fever.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2011
3:39 AM

Post #8407632

Ok, I posted pics of this years new Butterfly/Hummer garden over in the 'Butterfly and Hummingbird Gardening" forum :)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8408879

I guess you forgot to post a link to that , huh?????? :-)
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8408919

OOPS!!! fixin it right away!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1162242/

ok... done ;)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8411462

Clearing the table...last call (well until next week anyway)...did I forget anyone?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8412178

Just wondering...did you get my envy yet? Thanks! Pam
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8412199

No not yet Pam...Sorry
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8412592

Is anyone looking for any particular seeds they haven't found yet?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8412646

I think I'm good Mekos. Some gals in the houseplant swap are helping me with Monarda. Someone else was helping me but I forgot who :( Now I'm trying to find more poppies and carnivorous plants for my son.
Garry_Maxey
Florala, AL

March 7, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8413221

we got part of the modular building on the property sat before we got rained out.. hoping to have everything together this sat and be in by the following :)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8413322

OK Tikipod, let us know if you don't get enough. I have a couple packs of seeds here. Lemon and Red
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8413960

mekos ... I'm still looking for some of the hard to find seeds like shrimp and lollipop plant, and others along that line. Things that are really different.

I also thought I was receiving a licorice mint and satin pothos from another DG'er, but found I had the wrong name on those.

Anything you might have would be greatly appreciated.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8414763

Crit - if you cant find seed for Shrimp plants, I have one that I could take cuttings from, should you not be able to find the seed
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8414987

Shrimp plant hmm...If I come across any while I am cleaning cleaning I will send it to you Crit!! Now what was I going to say...hmm I had a purpose for coming. Let me see...Ill be back.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8415010

Erin are you here? Thats what It was ...Erin come out come out where ever you are!! One more envie to fill...whew...people are ready for spring!! I hope that means the snow is leaving my back yard soon!!!!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8415013

I found you Erin check your dmail.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8415907

Thanks gals!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 9, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8416015

Tiki, what kind of poppies are you wanting for your son?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8416292

I wanted an assortment. He loves poppies, especially the seed heads and harvesting seeds. I had harvested some seed from a neighbor but the seeds got wet and the entire bag molded over winter. I had bought a packet called poppy collect but I think I accidentally put them all in the round robin or another rotation box that stopped by my house.

Funny thing is I had to go to the nursery yesterday and forgot my seed shopping list. Kicking myself.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 9, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8416311

I think that I have some extra poppy seeds, several different kinds, so will check and let you know.
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2011

Post #8416312

tiki- i have a few pkts of poppy seeds i could send you- will get off a dmail letting you know what kinds
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8417945

I think the last envie is in the mailbox!!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8419358

I just promised someone my shrimp plant if I can remember who it was?????
I didn't know it made seeds(eyes caught in headlights here)!
I was tied up with a sick relative I take care of and haven't done anything on shipping yet. Maybe get back to that next week.
I do have poppy seeds I think, I'll look.I got 3 different Genetiana seeds for Robin and a Magnolia tree and Cudzu vine. I remembered that!
Got some seeds for Locakelly. (two thumbs up)
Got some VFT seeds for Nettie.
Hmmmm, somebody better remind me by next week if I forgot any.
I got Lions tail seeds, Crit. I got thousands of different seeds, I will make a list n see if any interest you.Canterbury bells???Got a friend having heart surgery in the morning so I'll be at hospital till late so will try to make the list this weekend. Will send d-mail when it is ready.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8419887

I think TIki wanted shrimp plant seed Jan...no pressure here Jan I still have to feet of snow...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8419926

I just did a dumb thing...I sent all the envies out...and threw out the label for these seeds before I labeled them...For some reason the name of them have left the vicinity of my mind...Can anyone name them? Texas something I think

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8419946

Nope not Texas anything!! Pride of Barbados!! Thats what they are !! Whew my mind is back!!
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8419952

LOL... arejay, glad to see nothings changed around here!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8419980

Not much has changed here Cue!! We are pretty dependable!! LOLOLOL
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8420132

Mekos, do you happen to have any Hyssopus Officinalis or extra CP seeds?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8420649

Right now I got a few VFT seeds but I have lots of different pitcher plants in different colors and some cobra lilies all growing in my bog garden but after they bloom there should be seeds. I didn't collect them last fall because I didn't know how. Just let them reseed. And the rest of the seeds I had for white pitcher plant, I sowed last week. Remind me when I get sprouts and I'll share.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8421290

~~~~~waving at mekos. I was the one wanting shrimp plant. Canterberry Bells is one thing I have already gotten in a trade. I love odd plants like the shrimp plant, chinese lanterns, corkscrew vine ... all the odd type plants.

We have 2 of our granddaughters this weekend. 7 and 4. I told the we were going to the Lawn and Garden show tomorrow. The older one said she would like to plant some flowers. I told her we would get a couple of my planters out and they could plant them. I would take care of them and they could see them when they came to visit during the summer. She said 'I would like to have some at my house'. (my daughter doesn't do any type of gardening) So we stopped at Dollar General on our way through town and they each got a planter. We are going to plant them and send them home with them to take care of. There are no drain holes, so I need to find some pots with holes to put inside them. I'm so glad they are interested in gardening. I let them help me water when they are here in the summers.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8421380

That is wonderful Crit. Teach them how to start a flower garden in containers and watch them go!
I knew someone had asked for the shrimp plant then I got busy with everything and just forgot who it was, but one day next week I will try my best to get back to shipping stuff. My membership will be up tomorrow I think so Arejay can get me at the other place if I need your address info. so I'll let her know when it is ready to ship. I have some other seeds you might like too that I'll toss in for the kids to try.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8421781

What are they planting Crit?Show us the process...we have a story here!!!
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8421839

you could also turn those planters with flowers into a 'container fairy garden' like I did one year when my son was young. we bought different sized pots from the dollar store and planted small annuals in a few, in the tallest one, we put a small birdhouse to serve as the house for the fairy and planted Irish Moss around it to serve as a lawn. we made garden furniture and an arbor from twigs and a walkway from small rocks. in the bottom pot, we put a small dish to serve as a 'Fairy' pond -it was the cutest thing... and it kept him interested in keeping the plants healthy so the 'fairy' wouldnt be sad and move away.
ldblond
La Quinta, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 12, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8422545

Hello, years ago I found Dave's Garden but it wasn't until yesterday that I finally became a full fledged member. I'm estatic!! How long would you like me to be a member before I request seeds?

Also, I know that in June or July I will have quite a bit of rocket larkspur seed in multiple colors of pink, purple, white and depending on what mother nature gives me maybe blues, that I could donate back if you would like?

I really look forward to getting to know you all.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8422558

If you signed up yesterday ...that is plenty of time!! Ill be watching for your envie!! If you have stuff you are not going to use and want to send ,send it along!! Welcome to the garden!!
ldblond
La Quinta, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 12, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8422566

arejay59, - Wow! Thank you!!

I will go pick up an envy today and this summer after my larkspur go to seed and dry out I will send some to you.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8422630

Hi Arejay-- all I can say is Wow!!! I got my newbie envie today, and it is stuffed!!! I just spent the last couple of hours sorting through and looking things up that are new to me--there are quite a few. Some I already know where I'll use them, but others may take a while. I'll have plenty of questions along the way, I'm sure.

I'm excited to try the Pride of Barbados, it looks beautiful. I've seen a few ways to get it started...what worked best for you? It sounds like lots of DG-ers have had good luck with it. I hope I'm next. :)

So thank you all for making me feel so welcome and a part of things. I'm looking forward to adding my goodies into the mix as well.

Hugs to everyone

Pam
LewBugCreations
Searcy, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8423803

You guys are awesome! I received my package yesterday too and did the same thing to find out what everything is, lol. I'd also like to hear any tips for the pride of Barbados. My three year old claimed the giant sunflowers for her flower garden. Hehe, I'm so proud of her, she has her own little bitty veggie garden and a flower bed started. Of course the only thing she wants to grow in the veggie bed is broccoli.
I don't have a lot of seeds to share yet but I do have a postin the plant trading forum for any newbies (or oldies) who might want some irises for postage.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8423824

We got some cute little pots. Around the edge we put alyssum and portulaca. In the middle one put a nastursen (sp?) and the other put in a zinnia. I expected with the confined space, the taller flowers may not get as big. I didn't have any other short seed that I knew of without going through my box of seed. lol Would LOVE to be able to take pictures as they progress, but they are taking them home. If I can get their mom to take pictures and send to me, I will post.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8423996

Here you go Ladies!! Pride of Barbados and you get a lesson in DG's plant guide click here it will take you to the information and as you go through your seeds you can research and get zone information, planting times, all kinds of information...who else has them who is looking for them http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=pride+of+barbados&Search=Search+PlantFiles
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8424116

Crit I love nasturtiums! Last year my son and I put the seeds between paper towels to start them. You should have seen his face when we opened the paper towel to all the roots and sprouts! We planted them and they did good indoors, but did not like being transplanted outdoors.

This year we will direct sow into pots or use starts but first I have to decide which ones will use.

sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8424126

crit-have been seeing pics of fires in oklahoma but not sure where. are you ok?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8424131

i use them everywhere to cover the ground where I don't have a plan and don't want weeds to take over. I love the trailing ones for large areas, Alaska for foliage interest and many, many others. I usually direct sow, and also do one flat a couple of weeks early for spots that need filling in. I don't have any trouble moving them as long as the roots are still pretty new, not potbound. I make sure the soil is really loose around the roots when I plant them, then water well. I also mulch, usually with shredded pine or small chips. The only time they haven't done well is if I wait too long past the frost date. For me that's 4/15, and I have to get them in the ground by the beginning of May.

I put some Fordhooks in a huge barrel and ended up pulling most of them out because they were taking over!

Pam

Thumbnail by Pfg

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8424137

Oops! Should have said all that was about Nasturtiums! Pam
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8424316

And edible !!!! http://www.herbalgardens.com/archives/articles-archive/nasturtiums.html

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8424969

When I don't have seeds of my own to put into a swap, I use that as an excuse to buy some big pkts from Hazzards or Zitazawa, that otherwise I would have been too cheap to buy.

Somehow or other, on their way from the commercial packet into the swap, some seeds sneak into ziplocks that somehow wind up in my own stash. That's my story, anyway!

Corey
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8425035

i also have been buying seeds "for the robin" so i would have enough to share. i bought all my favorites !
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8425084

Oh true seed addicts!! We breed them here!!
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8425111

yes.. you... do!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8425167

And theres Cue..everyone has new newbee seeds...let the trading begin!!!
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8425184

I confess... I bought / am buying seeds under the pretense that they are for " The Robin"... uh huh... thats my story and I'm stickin' to it!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8427008

I got the robin back in the mail today. I found a few veggie seeds and flower seeds I thought I could use and put in some of the extras I had. Loved going thru the box. By next year I'll be ready for a few trades. I'm getting my yard back together, being as how we did not get the loan for the new trailer. Boy, do those trailer sales guys lie!!! They said it would be no problem for us to get a new trailer so we did all the paperwork and I started moving things in the yard and suddenly its, "Sorry, can't help you!"

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8427086

Salesman + lips moving = lies

Corey
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8427131

LOL!!!! So true!!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8427135

Anyway we have a friend that knows about construction and he's going to help us rebuild our trailer and enlarge/remodel it. We have to save up some money to buy supplies with so will not start until next year. In the mean time I'll work on my garden, move the few things I'll have to inorder to enlarge the trailer. Plus I have my trip to Calif rescheduled for July/Aug.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8429276

Yes Karen, we are fine. The fires weren't near our house. Thanks for thinking of me!

Crit
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8432213

Yet another tried and true gift of an envelope full of fresh seeds from Mittsy!! She is a true newbee fan!! Thank you Mittsy!!
sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8432573

Robin, do you still need seeds for newbies? I have a decent amount of seed from Abelmoschus manihot http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1888/ and Runner Bean 'Painted Lady' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/40236/ and I'm happy to send them your way. If so, can you send me a dmail with your address? :-)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8432733

They are so pretty I am sure we can pass those on!! Thank you Sunny you are a repeat Newbee Supporter also...we love seed addict enablers!!
sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8432839

I was trimming my back plants a month or so ago, and couldn't let perfectly good seeds go to waste! ;-) FYI, the runner beans are actually "perennial" in my zone...this was quite a surprise to me. The vine dies back completely, but they form some sort of tuber and resprout each spring.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8433035

Can you put an extra couple of seeds in for me??? Pretty please??
sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8433330

Robin, I'm not going to have a chance to make up individual packets, so just take what you want and give away the rest. :-) I'm happy if they find good homes, wherever that may be! There are a decent amount of seeds of both plants...

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2011
10:48 PM

Post #8433701

Robin, if this ever appeals to you, let me know.

If you have a largish bag of something, or 5-10-20 somethings, tell me their names and how many ways you would want to split each, and I'll print up labels and stuff them into 2x3 or 1.5x1.5 ziplocks.

I can look up hardiness zones, sun, watering and germination preferences, and include those in fine print. I have a printer at work that does non-smuding fine print AND double-sided print.

Then you can more easily split up big batches into many single-trade packets.

If you want me to do some splitting also, I have glassine envelopes and some nifty tiny measuring spoons, just the thing for splitting dust-like seed. 1/8th, 1/16th and 1/32 teaspoons!

If pollination rates are as low next year as this year, I have to do SOMETHING to contribute to the New Bee process!

(I shouldn't promise, but if you can find out from the seed provider which DG image is closest to their seed, I could probably also include a 1" square color picture in each pkt.)

Corey

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8433977

Oh Corey!! I would love to have your help!! Did everyone see this!! Corey is volunteering!!! Yeah!! Ok I just packaged up a lot of bulk seed but I do have more on the way lets see if we can make this work!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8433985

Im breaking from the seed sorting packaging and mailing until Monday I need to plant my tomatoes ...but...THe first of the week Corey I will see what we need for labels and research ...and can you print the http://www.calflora.net/botanicalnames/index2.html
Botanical names on the package? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botanical_name

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8433988

You know Corey I just thought of something...last year Mindy made me a spread sheet to start tracking what I have and how old it is and on and on she worked up a great spread sheet...how do you feel about spreadsheet ? I can post it in google you could make labels of from it maybe add in any information you research does any of this make sense? Organization is not my strong point...networking and sharing is...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8433994

Sunny is sending http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8432573
Those will need labels...

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8434533

A spreadsheet sounds cool to me, though I have had trouble getting at files on Google before. Maybe I should try from home, not work.
I'll try again, becuase it is much easier to share ONE file, than to email it back and forth.

I see you use paper coin envelopes while I lean towards 2x3 Ziplocks. It you want to use paper, can you tape labels onto coin envelopes? I like to print double-sided. I would be happy to send the labels to you pre-stuffed into plastic Ziplocks, but those coin envelopes are expensive!

Here's an example. I would see how much of this fits onto 2x3",
and check it's accuracy with SunnyG - especially: what color?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Abelmoschus manihot
Aibika, Sweet Hibiscus,
Glossy, edible foliage

[tender perennial Z8b-11, maybe as cold as Z.5-Utah]
Grown as Annual
sun-part shade
do not let dry out
Bloom mid-summer (Bright Yellow or Maroon (Purple-Brown) or White/Near White)
4'-6' tall 2'-3' spacing
May need stakes when young.

Seeds sprout in 2 days to 4 weeks.
Maybe soak or nick seeds.
Sow indoors before last frost or
DS after last frost or
from woody stem cuttings
self-sows
from sunnyg's garden
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I should probably use very few abbreviations. Maybe [P] instead of "perennial" is OK?
I hope "DS" is OK for "direct sow".
Probably spell out "drought tolerant" instead of "DT".
Probably NOT print the web link to Plant files (too small to read).

I usually print in 10-point Arial font, with common name bold and larger if there's room.
If it gets crowded, I'll print long lines in 9-point or even 8-point font.
(But that's getting to be fine print!)

Corey

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8434540

The zipper ones you use are great!! I use paper only because that what I have easy access to. Corey!! I wish I had a happy clapping avatar!!! You get my point with the exclamations though right? Those are perfect and yes abbreviations are great!! Yeay!!!! We can work at the spread sheet anyway that works for you..Mindy are you here?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8434575

Cool cool cool! Usually my suggestions are considered much too detailed and nerdy.

After lunch I'll bang out something for SunnyG's second batch of seeds, and mail you some pkts, probably this weekend.

If I can do the color printing, I see one photo from SunnyG in PlantFiles, so i hope I can use that without copyright violation!

I also found some germination advice for the edible Hibiscus:
Abelmoschus HHA (half-hardy-annual)
sprouts emerge in 15-30 days
sow 1/16th deep, germn. 75-80 degrees in well drained media
Soak 1 hour in lukewarm water before sowing.

Does 10 pkts of each sound better than 5? Or more?

Often I will tuck 2-3 labels into each pkt, so the recipient can store some and share some, or pull out some for sowing WITH a label and instructions.

Probably de-cluttering this thread would be good. I could start a new thread "Labelling New Bee Seeds", or just go to Dmail.

Corey
sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2011

Post #8434667

Looks great to me on the labels! Corey, the Abelmoschus manihot are a light yellow flower with a purplish throat. I know I have pics of the parent plant, and can upload one for you to use later today (need to run right now). Feel free to use any of my pics on here for labels, i.e. the runner bean pic from plantfiles. I am mailing the seeds off to Robin today...btw they were harvested in late 2010.
sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8434694

I just checked, and I've uploaded images for both plants. I am so on top of things that I don't even realize it. LOL. Anyway, I just uploaded another Abelmoschus manihot image so it's in the queue waiting approval, but feel free to use any image, Corey.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8434730

Yes Corey make a thread in this forum so everyone can see the process!! I think its great!! Save the second post for me so I can add a note to donating members!! Thank You Corey not to detailed for me or Nerdy !! You are doing the work and I am reaping the benefits!! Now if I could only get you organizing the rest of my stuff!!! Yeay!!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8434735

Nice photos - a 1" square reduction won't do them justice!

I see that PlantFiles says that "seeds are poisonous", but no one else says that, including SSE.
What would call the color: white and peach bi-color? Red and white? Orange and white?

Runner Bean 'Painted Lady'
Phaseolus coccineus
[A or TP Zone 9b]
edible, ornamental
full sun (part shade)
68 days
6'-10' tall - need support
18-24" spacing
white and peach bi-color

OP - DS 1" deep after last frost
(may come back from a tuber)

sunnyg's garden
sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8434765

Corey, the parent plants of the runner bean seeds I sent all tended toward red and white bi-color blooms like the photo I posted in plantfiles, but judging from the other photos in plantfiles, there is certainly some variation...:-) Looks great!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8434769

Thanks, I'll go back to "red and white".

I made a new thread,
Seed Trading: New Bee Seed Labels

Corey
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8434926

If you have FB go look http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212555575424335 Artist Auction Relief for Japan
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8435055

Just my 2 cents worth, but I love your labeling Corey!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8435060

Me too Skell!! You have pictures and you donate...dont forget to post when you can!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011

Post #8435294

WOW ... this all sounds so technical. tee hee I am starting to print my information on labels that can be put on the outside of the envelopes. I'm always afraid of losing seed when I take a paper out of an evny. Especially if someone has folded a paper.
Corey, that is a nice idea to send 2 labels in a packet. One for planting and one for saving.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8435690

Darn! I lost that post.

Thanks very much - I was proud when I got the double-sided things to line up. Now I can print LEGIBLE labels as fast as I can type. My handwriting is just unreadable, and the letters are huge.

Igrowinpa has the best seed lables! I just stare at her handwriting every time I see one of her labels. Exquistite!

>> I'm always afraid of losing seed when I take a paper out of an evny.

For me, cutting open a taped envelope or unfolding one of the origami envelopes is an adventure. I haven't done a "SPROING" yet with a folded envelope, but I always worry and position it over a bowl. A few times, all the tiny seeds had migrated to the tiny crack of exposed Scoth tape, and I had to rub them away form the glue.

I think it's cool that no two people package or label seeds exactly the same way.

The very first seed trade I recieved included a plastic tube smaller than a pencil with some tomatoe seeds in it. Maybe from LooneyLinda? It was a re-traded trade.

Corey

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8436002

The artistic packaging of seed here is incredible Corey!! Some people have handwriting that absolutely puts me to shame!! THey are tiny tiny and perfectly scrolled no typewriters/computers needed!! Endless ideas of packaging and labeling go on here!!

Garry_Maxey
Florala, AL

March 19, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8436371

good news :) got the 1st modular building up and finished today :)) by next sunday we should have the other one set up and be ready to move into them :) ... then comes the landscaping :))))
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8436375

Great to hear!!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8436485

Terrific. Congrats!
ldblond
La Quinta, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8452119

arejay59 - Yesterday, I opened my mail to find my newbie seeds - what a delightful surprise! I was so excited I felt like a kid at Christmas time!

My daughter wanted to open the envelope just as bad as a I did so we both went through and carefully sorted out each and every envelope! They just kept coming out of the bag - I thought it might be bottomless - lol.

My son can't wait to get his hands dirty and start planting. I've looked up most everything in books and I think most of it can be planted sooner than later - I can't believe it - boy are we going to have a beautiful garden! Time to get busy. Thank you so very, very much - I'll post pictures as soon as we get things going.

Lara
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8452338

Im so glad you enjoyed it Lara and your son!! THe best part is it is an enjoyment you can have for years to come and you can give it away and still have it!!
Garry_Maxey
Florala, AL

April 1, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8465759

just wanted to give everyone an update... we have the modular buildings together and ran plumbing today :) 1 week to build bedrooms and kitchen and we will back back home :) and ready to landscape :))))
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8466045

best of everything to you in your new home !
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8466198

Wonderful News!!!! Won't be long now. Congratulations!
Arejay did the snow storm hit you or are you ok? I know you were expecting 12 inches, so holler and let us know if you are snowed in or what. Hugs and good night all.

Thumbnail by mekos

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8466379

Yes I am ok. I lost power for a bit and I am again trapped in a foot of snow. But, none the worse for wear...

Thumbnail by arejay59

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2011

Post #8466779

OH AREJAY!!!! Poor baby girl! I feel for you. I was just asking everyone if they had heard from you to see how you was. I'm so sorry about all that snow.
( We got so much rain we almost flooded here. They are calling for tornadoes Tuesday with bad thunder storms and rain.)
Sure hope it melts fast and brings sun for you. Is this snow normal for you? for this time of year? I was thinking SPRING time is here, then snow fell. :>( Poor plants have got to be confused! Glad you are ok though. Gotta go do some cleaning so back later.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8467453

Glad you are OK Arejay! we had some pretty nasty Thunderstorms here, put the city out of electricity for about a day... a few tornadoes touched town, but other than some roughly transplanted trees (lol) we emerged pretty much unscathed! this is definitely a rough Spring for everyone - north and south
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8467596

Glad yall are ok Cue. Blondie is somewhere down in Florida and she took pictures of much damage and big hail at her place. Her DMIL had a big tree to fall on the swimming pool and a tree took down a powerline and started a fire. man what a storm yall had. They are calling for that here Tuesday. Hope it don't get so bad.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8467920

Dang! And here it just feels like July - ugh. We officially hit 100 Friday.
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8467930

we hit 90 thurs, today it was cold, drizzly and windy. poor plants dont know what to do. heck, i dont know what to do, took all the extra blankets off the bed a few days ago, put them back on tonight.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8467954

LOL hahaha LOL. That is our weather too, Sherman99. LOL But we only get to 70's and 80 and 40's at night mostly. But a few times we ran the air during day and night now back to cold again.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8469513

Our temp today is 84 with the winds at 16 gusting to 38. I'm sweating, don't like to sweat this early. Chance of thunderstorms the next couple days. I sure HOPE and PRAY we get some. We are sooOOoOoooOooOoo DRY! Need some rain so my pasture grass will grow. We got 2 more horses and have to keep putting out hay. I sure hope we get good April showers, or May flowers will be duds. From March thru May is our tornado season. Don't look forward to that, but sure need rain. Just don't need it to overdo it which seems to happen. Once it starts, it doesn't shut off.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8472289

Geez - I wondered where you all went. You all must be up to your ears in seeds by now. Just trying to get half of mine planted for the Spring rush. So far I've got tomatoes, peppers, marigolds, and zinnias in sprouting trays. Managed to get some onion and garlic bulbs in the ground for spring greens. Leafy lettuce won't be far behind.

Al
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8472709

I've had 77 degrees with thunderstorms, rain and lightening all day. Plus sudden gusts of wind that took a large branch out of a maple and it hit the side of my niece's new trailer. Hit so hard it knocked plates out of the cupboard in her kitchen. Made us all jump. Her husband was asleep on the cough and he jumped to his feet sill asleep yelling "What the hell!!"

Had to move our cars out to the street as our parking area is under the trees.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 4, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8472771

Oh my! Geez, we had really bad winds yesterday, but not today. Guess it blew all the way to KY over night! Glad you are all okay, but sorry about the damage to your niece's new trailer! But it would have been funny watching her DH in his sleep! But hope that it's blown over now, and you can go back to nice weather! Take care and glad to know you are being careful, Marti. Just too dangerous taking the weather for granted and not taking precautions. Glad you are all OK, and hope none of the damage is too severe.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8473369

Is everyone ok today. Just checking on people. Lots are still without power, bad storms swept through with bad high winds. We got hail and lots of rain with thunder n lightning and very windy. Power went out for a while but back on now. No real damage here and we are ok so holler when ya can and let us know everyone is safe.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 5, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8473468

Hope everyone is Ok! Still hovering around 30 degrees here, with a little wind, but we sure haven't had the spring storms that some of you are having. Glad to know you are okay Mekos! Hope some of the rest check in so we know how everyone is!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8473671

Has Robin dug out from under all the snow yet? Arejay iffin you are ok pop your pretty little head up fur a bit now and tell us.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8473679

Snow.and cold here still This was Sunday

Thumbnail by arejay59

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8474632

Wow Robin, cool out back. But MITT sent me a d-mail and told me where you was so I wasn't worried anymore! Teeee heeee. Robin???????
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2011
2:56 AM

Post #8475302

LoL where was I? Mit what a tattle tail!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2011
3:04 AM

Post #8475307

I am lost in genealogy did he tell you that? I get started and I cant quit!! I honestly have 30 tabs open across the top here and all but three are genealogy links...they suck me in like the newbee thread to a seed addict!!
I think the sun is coming out today!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
5:14 AM

Post #8475415

OH IF ONLY I KNEW HOW TO GO GRAB A D_MAIL POST AND BRING IT OVER HERE!
I'd bet I could get another box full of Mitts Irises to keep quiet. (Notice I said ANOTHER)! LOL ROTFLMBO
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8476552

copy and paste ...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8476797

Well, how much is it worth to ya dear????
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8476808

I'm thinking I kin get a box of Iris from Mitt to NOT show, what do I get if I DO post it?
BIG GRIN HERE!!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8476848

I have Irises too!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8476849

See Irises

Thumbnail by arejay59

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8476939

I dunno if blackmailing people with compost heaps and chipper/shredders is such a good idea ... :-)

especially since this season has more "browns" than "greens" available, and someone might be wantin' more nitrogen ...

... on the other hand, how good is the story?

Corey

(just kidding ... everyone knows not to put meat byproducts into a compost heap)

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8476958

LoL!!!!
I have more Irises!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8476973

Sounds good to me, Lets see what his looks like, and by the way, Rick, I guarantee someone would pay dearly to see this!!!!!!! ROTFLMBO for real! Hahahahahahahaha
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8477106

Rick , last season, Mitt videoed Robin and Charleen surfing in elves hats. This is just a picture, there was a whole video of them surfing!

Thumbnail by mekos

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8477245

And I totally believe that! Seeing is beleiving, the camera doesn't lie.
But it does add 10 chocolate chips. And they never share Keebler's cookies with us!

Tubular, Dudettes!

(Excuse me, "Elven Dudettes"!)

Corey

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8477256

Oh my I almost forgot about the elves - ROTFLOL!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8477259

OH I so agree! They never sent me any anyhow. ( :^\
So I'm looking fur Irises now. Bet I find plenty for long!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
2:28 AM

Post #8477567

iris

Thumbnail by arejay59

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8478017

I could use some irises if anybody has some to spare, even NOIDs. Let me know postage costs or I'll buy a Priority Box from the PO.

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8478101

Hey Arejay, I couldn't get the copy paste thing to work on the d-mails page. But here is a picture. And depending on that box of Irises as to wheather the many posts of words will follow as I printed them off and can scan it back in the computer to show it all.
Ooooooooow, I'm good!
Now how many Irises are in my box Robin / Mitt ?

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8478104

Al, I'm working on getting us a nice box full! Hang in there little buddy!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8478118

Hold on, I think it might work... Mitt wrote...

Philadelphia, PA
Tue, April 5, 2011
06:36 PM
She may be out back milking her caribou...or riding her moose again

Wooo-Hoooo! Mitt, how about them Irises now?????
I do believe it worked.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2011 9:34 AM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8478121

Hahahahahahaha, ROTFLMBehindO!!!!!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 7, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8478124

That little cabin looks like a piece of heaven to me! I love it!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8478127

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA
Tue, April 5, 2011
07:34 PM
She didn't go far. I see her banjo on the porch

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8478130

I loved it too Sandi, Robin musta did too from all Mitt told me.
This is a start, do I need to say(POST) more??? MITT/ ROBIN????
Laughing with that sneaky laugh. How many Irises Robin/Mitt?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8478147

Looks like my last hotel in Hilo...

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8478214

New Earth Quake in Japan last night creating another tsunami. Live report right now...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42473623#42473623
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8478267

My heart goes out them.
I love my cabin ...

Thumbnail by arejay59

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8478318

Me too Robin, kinda looks like it's at moose lagoon. ;^)

A nuther post here.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)
Tue, April 5, 2011
08:05 PM
Hahahahaha You just ain't right Mitt! Hahahaha ROTFLMAO . If she just knew! Hahahahaha

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)
Wed, April 6, 2011
07:08 AM
Wonder iffin that is her fishing rod too? Looks like she mighta went fishing, but nothing on there so probably dint catch anything but poison ivy!

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA
Wed, April 6, 2011
10:25 AM
I'm surprised you didn't mention her brass spittoon, Jan

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)
Wed, April 6, 2011
07:00 PM
Hot dawg! I missed that. I spotted that purty hibiscus in the edge of the picture and them binoculars to spie on somethin with, and fishing rod and banjo and such, but jest figured that wuz a new fangled flower pot there on the floor. Gud eyes thar Mitt!

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA
Wed, April 6, 2011
07:26 PM
Girl you have to look around. Did you see the moonshine bottle on the window sill? How about the tin of chewin tobacee

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)
Wed, April 6, 2011
08:11 PM
OH Geesh! She is Chawing!?! Hahaha Back to ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)
Wed, April 6, 2011
08:15 PM
hey Mitt, Arejay is bribing me to post what you sent to me about her, What is it worth to you to keep my mouf shut and not post d-mails out there? Is it worth some more gorgeous Irises? FREE????

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA
Thu, April 7, 2011
03:26 AM
I thought you were from Fair Play. You don't play fair. That blackmail
BUT I have a big box waiting for you. Don't tell her about this.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)
Thu, April 7, 2011
09:08 AM
YUP at it's BEST!!!! Big smile!
Thanks! Looking forward to all those IRISES!

NOW AREJAY, Who emptyed the booze and are you still Chawing that wakky baccy?

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8478328

And by the way Robin, since I posted it here for you I think Al will be looking for some Irises from you . Jest sayin... everyone saw you offer Irises fur me to tell. Ain't that righ Al?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8478331

Wait till I get my hands on him!! Oh wait I will wait until he sends that box then Ill send my box and youll have dbl!! Oh shh dont tell Mit
Mums the word

Thumbnail by arejay59

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8478347

Now Robin, send them to Al. I got nuff.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8478352

SCREAMING HERE!!!! You got a rose bud with SNOW on the ground!?! You get All the luck and fun! I want a cabin like that.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8478379

Lol last years Rose...Ill send all some Iris!! You know Al still sends us Sunflower and various other seed every year!! He sends me a treat every now and then too!! He is the best you know!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8478395

I know, I am shipping him a box too. (Two thumbs up)
My little Hawaiian ti plant log he sent me has roots breaking out from the swelled log. Gorgeous!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8478576

I think I got lost in that last conversation with Mekos...maybe everybody else did, too.

I want to rent that cabin in Maine for a month in the summer though, Robin. Does the banjo come with it?

Al
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8478817

I love ya Al but you cant have my banjo...sorry..buddy
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 7, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8478949

Jan did you see this
http://www.terrisfp1.com/holidays/chick.html

You really need the sound turn up to appreciate it

This message was edited Apr 7, 2011 6:51 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8479019

What do you mean did I se it? I sent it around e-mail to everbuddy 2 weeks ago. Iffin I had of had yor e-mail you would have got it from me too. I know what that is before clicking. I jest dont trust ya Mitt. When ya gonna ship my new Irises?
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 7, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8479035

I thought you worked out a deal with RJ for plants
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8479075

RUT ROW! Hers is fur Al.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8479090

Ot oh... is right your in big trouble http://www.terrisfp1.com/holidays/chick.html
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8479298

I been in the corner fur 2 hours, can I come out now. I learned my lesson now. (Beggin pitifully).
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8479331

Oh Boy... I'm going to bed!

Happy Easter to you, too.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8479558

OMG you are all crazy! I thought I was the loca on this thread but y'all got me soooooooooooo beat...

P.S. Love the banjo Robin - ROTFLMBO!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2011

Post #8479559

Oh yeah - my Ti plant has tiny roots starting too...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8479761

They making me stay in tha corner all night! POUTING! Well, I got irises blooming now Mitt. I aint gotta wait till May. So what you think about that? (putting my nose back in the corner).
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 8, 2011
1:15 AM

Post #8479879

You have irises blooming? Which one? I'm a month away from blooms
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8481709

I got white, Dark purple/black and dark purple with light purple mix. AND got bunches of others with HUGE FAT BUDS! Will take pictures tomorrow. I only have one of the white now and one of the dark purple. First ones to open so far then the purple and light purple mix opened today.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8481713

They opened last week, more opened today. (Whistling) ...

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2011

Post #8481720

Yours are LATE MITT!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8481996

"I could use some irises if anybody has some to spare, even NOIDs. Let me know postage costs or I'll buy a Priority Box from the PO.

Al"

Ditto to what Al said. Mine are probably a month away from blooming too. Still don't know what they are 'cept 1 yellow that bloomed last year. I want a rainbow of iris! ^_^
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8482432

Love you folks that have irises already, mine aren't even close. That's why I went to Hawaii, to see flowers.

I'm traying up my tomatoes today, they're about 3 weeks old and ready for their first transplant. Starting a few marigolds and zinnias, too.

I was lucky enough to get an almost new Mantis tiller free out of Gramp's estate. It was just out of the box, but never started. Probably sat in the shed for 5 years or so. It came with a sidewalk edger attachment but no tiller tines, had to order the tines from the company internet site. This looks promising.

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8482559

Wonderful Al. That will be a lot of use. I took a few pictures today of new Iris blooms, but these are all my OLD Irises not my newer or more favored ones. BUT ALL are FULL of buds.

Thumbnail by mekos

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 9, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8482570

Your irises look great Jan. Looks like you'll have a very colorful year.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8482578

I really envie you Al on the tiller. Sure makes it easier to keep the gardens cleaned and soil softer for the roots to spread. Enjoy it! I found a few bloom buds on 1 of my older tomatoes. I sowed the 4 in early January and those are awesome.
Had several blooms out today. So far only the darkest purples and mixed purples and white are in bloom. I do have some more fluffy and larger blooms. Gonna make you a box from the different colors as I see which are what Al. You have sent me so much all through the year and I'd love to share with ya, what I have.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8482586

We Do Si Doed there Mitt. (I over posted you, sorry). Thank you. These always bloom early, they are the very OLD old timey ones. The others are full of buds so maybe they will bloom soon. I love my Irises. The colors are all mixed so hard to tell which is what till they bloom.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8482597

I can't wait till yours start blooming, You have the most beautiful Blooms I have ever seen.
You probably will have to add a burgular alarm this year when they start though. I may not be able to contain myself any longer. Jest sayin...

Thumbnail by mekos

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8482598

Gorgeus blooms. Take your time, don't hurt yourself getting them out.

Thanks

Al

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8483374

I wish I had a power edger, for digging narrow slit trenches for drainage.

And a tiller for breaking up clay and mixing it with compost and bark.

And a bigger shed to store it in ...

and more beds to till with it ...

and more time and energy to play with it ...

Something about gardening brings out the "greedy" in me.

Corey
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011

Post #8483504

But that is good greedy Rick! :^)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8483526

mekos...is that a wisteria? It is gorgeous!
SpaceCase418
Annapolis, MD

April 9, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8483640

Mekos, Crit ~ come to MD and take as much as you want. its incredibly invasive here as you will realize when you drive down any country road. i have literally seen mile long stretches where all the trees on both sides of the road are covered with wisteria blossoms. probably one of the most powerful displays of "invasive" i have ever seen i would say that the stink bugs are tied but they fall into the category of annoying not powerful.
~Michael
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8483719

Yup another of my babies I rooted and grew. I trained it to be a tree and not run all over the place. It is about 3-4 years old. I let it get head high and I trim off any runners at the same height and it bunches more and the stalk gets fatter like a tree trunk. I love it. I got red and a white one too, but I know the white one is alive, it is now putting out but too small to bloom yet, the red one is tree form anyway , it don't run but it has not put out so not sure if it lived through the winter till it starts to put out green.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8483725

Sorry Michael, I over posted you. I started writing and my neighbor came and just left so I could finish and when I clicked send , yours was already there.
I actually like it but it would be nvasive here too if I let it go. I keep it trimmed to a tree form.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8483843

I know there is a place here near the airport where there is a huge one growing. I've thought about going and trying to get a piece of it, but never had. It is kinda up on the hillside, and I would have to park my car on the side of the road to go up there. I didn't know there were any colors besides lilac. I put out 5 seeds to WS, but so far nothing is coming up. My mom had one trained as a tree. I always loved it.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8483904

I'm fixin to go get some up for friends in other places iffin ya want one too, I can get one for ya. They are easy to root. If they touch soil, they root. I grew my lavender from a cutting, but the red and white ones I grew from seed. Slow starting but after the first year, they seem to get a second wind and RUN! Just keep the runners clipped off close to the main trunk and it will be gorgeous after the second year. My lavender is 2 years old but going into the 3rd year this summer. This is the best it has been so far.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 9, 2011
9:09 PM

Post #8484186

Me too Jan? Be happy to send you money for postage or something?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2011
1:33 AM

Post #8484322

I had a huge old one years ago. It grew on a big old oak and had sprouted into a long hedge. I kept pushing the tendrils back into the hedge until the whole thing bloomed. A neighbor across the street grew one from seed...it took years until it finally bloomed and was a huge disappointment! It looked like a washed out version of mine. I think it's better to stick to cuttings!

Pam
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8484616

mekos...that would be terrific! Thanks for the offer!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8484845

I visited a spot yesterday where I recently got involved with a local non-profit doing urban gardening. There's wisteria a plenty, so I will take that off my list. I am also going into the woods (it's an abandoned homesite in a lovely neighborhood) to dig up some spring flowers and wildflowers. If I'm on the board of directors, I guess I'm not trespassing! (did I mention that I was/am a lawyer?).

I'll post a picture later of the plant. I can't remember the name of it, but it is not a wildflower. these are probably plants that covered the grounds of this "mansion." MAN you should see the size of the 2 magnolias that were probably in front of this house (the stone chimney is down/laying near/between them. One is a double trunk and DBH has got to be huge. I'll take a tape measure today too. They are supposed to be the oldest in Greensboro.

Fun day - more homework avoidance. O joy. :D

A.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8484914

LOL Have fun!
Yes Crit and Sandi, got you down for some. I may be able to get one for youz with roots, will try, when I get back out.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8485187

yeah, Mekos - that's exactly how I want mine to look someday when I have one. :D

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8485191

Thanks mekos!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 10, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8486588

Love you Jan! Thanks so much!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2011
3:14 AM

Post #8486750

I see you are keeping busy keeping the newbees addicted JB!! Is that Mit I see peeking in? Amanda nice to meet you...are you new or old no kidding just kidding...I am glad to see you I see you just became a member did you send for your newbee package?
Mornin Al you better hang on there you could be buried in Iris by the sounds...Be careful what you wish for!! The sun came out here thank goodness!! Finally...There still some ice and snow but I dug out my favorite garden shoes I am ready!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8486832

You still got snow, Robin?

Happy Monday All!

Al
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 11, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8487349

Robin, I do believe you actually have more snow left than we do. It's almost gone from my yard now, but still have some snow and ice left in the Hills. Went for a drive yesterday and took some spriing shots. Here is one of a small lake in the hills. Not quite ready for swimming yet.

Thumbnail by skellogg

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8488275

Awwwwe, Crit, your Burros are sooo cute!! "I want one!!!" Except I don't think my property is zoned to allow any, (even though it's big enough). They are way too cute.

Hope all is going well for you,
Christina.
Garry_Maxey
Florala, AL

April 11, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8488482

heya :) news update we will be moving back into our home this weekend :) will still have a ton of projects to deal with, but both modular buildings will be livable :)) Sooooooooo if anyone has any "welcome to your new home pkgs" heheehe i'm in the index ;)

thanks Garry

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8488510

Gee, wow. --- --- Here's a package for you, (but invisible & won't be looking at your "index")... ... ~Congrats Garry~.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2011 8:14 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2011

Post #8488693

That is great Gary! We'll just have to see what we can do for you to help get your yard going again.
Now John Boy, that looks like a dead orchid sitting upon that big block of ice there girl. I take it, it bit the dust? (Sigh...)
Glad you are thawing out though. My jack in the pulpit has a nice leaf up and I am SOOOO hopeing it will bloom this year. I just saw it today. My Silver leafed Sikonium(don't know if I spelled it right) has shot up bunches of them so maybe a bloom soon on it too. YIPPIE!!!!
Got blooms on 4 tomato plants, Yippie! Looks like spring may just be sliding in sideways!
Well, got to turn in early, had my grandbaby today since 6:00am and I am bushed!
Good night all , be safe if any of yall get those storms moving around tonight. Hugs!
Good night John Boy!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8488734

Look what I found! I want one!
Record holder giant Wisteria in Auburn CA. Is 100 years old and over 100 feet tall and climbs over 4 ponderosa pine trees. This is the best picture I could find of it.

Thumbnail by marti001

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8488744

There is also a giant Wisteria in Sierra Madre, CA that covers 1 acre of space and estimated wt is 250 pounds. Could not find a good picture.

But did find a great picture of a Giant Wisteria in Japan. How do you like this one?

Thumbnail by marti001

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8488775

WOW ... those are amazing!!! I would love to just have a nice one in my yard. :-)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8488825

I didn't get to go into the woods to get my weeds, ER, wildflowers. I have permission from the owner(s) now, so I feel better about Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho . . .. .

Scads of wisteria seedlings I can bring home a thousand if anyone wants one. Could be an expensive proposition, so I may ask you to subsidize shipping.

A.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8488883

Marti, Those are awesome!!!! WOW what a humoungus tree! Glad I checked back in one more time before I went off. I'll have dreams about that one in Japan. Amazing!
Good night all.
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2011

Post #8488914

i would happy to pay for shipping for wisteria. let me know when and how much
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 11, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8489116

Wow!! Those are amazing! I'm thinking I better be building a MUCH better fence, teeheehee! Absolutely gorgeous!! I think that this picture is of the same one!

http://www.ruralmysteries.com/images/auburngiantwisteria.jpg

And that is great news Garry! It has to feel just great to be able to move home again! :-)

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
2:48 AM

Post #8489300

The Wisteria are stunning...mine is still just little ...I wonder maybe this year blossoms!! Garry I dont remember did you get a newbee package? JB I still have one of the orchids you sent a biggg bunch!! Still hope for a MaineSC Orchid!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8489415

WOW ... that is gorgeous!!!!! I guess the wisteria doesn't choke out the host tree? And can be planted in the shade at the base of the tree?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8490009

amanda, I would love a seedling Wisteria. Let me know how much and When I get my check on the 20th I can send you a money order.

Marti
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 12, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8490098

Amanda, I too would love some wisteria! Looks like you're going to be busy! Let me know!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8490451

Crit - it has escaped cultivation and is about as helpful to trees as is Kudzu in the south. On the other thread someone said and it's true that wisteria can eventually crush a structure. Like a python! That's why I wanted to grow one like a tree - I'd read about it/seen them at nurseries but didn't want to spend the $ to buy a noxious weed (HA!).

It is spectacular, though. A bunch of years ago I bought a giant print of Monet's "Wisteria" for my office. I've seen it on pergolas and arbors and o there is almost nothing prettier.

I wouldn't plant it on a tree unless the tree were already dead, or if you wanted to kill it. :D

A.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8490602

How's this for a Wisteria tree??

Thumbnail by marti001

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 12, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8490609

Here's a great picture of a giant wisteria tree?!

http://www.ruralmysteries.com/images/auburngiantwisteria.jpg

and check out this one in Japan!

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/03/picture-of-the-day-giant-wisteria-vines-in-japan/

Amazing!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 12, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8490614

Sorry Marti, for over posting.
That is just beautiful!! I want one!! Or maybe 2!!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8490902

Your forgiven!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8491081

Those trees are gorgeous! I just love mine and I do keep mine a tree form. It is invasive here in the south and it can take over just like cudzu if not kept in check. However if you do trim and take care of them, nothing is prettier in my eyes.(Cept Iris)!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8491291

Great ... that is what I want 'my' tree to look like!!!!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 12, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8491293

Not too worried about them being invasive here. With our winters, that's not usually a problem with a lot of things that are invasive farther south.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8491298

Can't u just imagine the wonderful smell they have!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 12, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8491777

Yes, I can! It's heavenly!
Does anyone know what kind of root system they have? Do they have a deep tap root, or shallow roots, or ???

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8492299

I'm about to find out - going to dig up those seedlings today. I'll get plenty of these weeds for everyone who has requested them. :D

There's another small flowering plant I'm going to get which I haven't identified. Will post photos later.

A.
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8492518

how do we get postage to you?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8493550

Postage or a trade?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8493784

Shallow root system on mine. They don't go too deep untill many years of pruned as a tree service. They will root right on top of the ground.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8497967

Hey everybody. :)

Right before I went out my manager reminded me that plant grown from seed can take 7 - 15 years to flower. I took cuttings instead from vines that were blooming, and I have them in water outside in the shade. Shouldn't take long to root, I wouldn't think. They look very healthy.

Haven't done trades yet, but I am very happy to share. How do you get postage to one another? Ever use Paypal transfers? I should think they would be light enough to send first class ($2 or less).

Wish I didn't need to ask but I'm on a grad student's budget. :/

A.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8498017

I don't have a paypal acct, but next wednesday I can put a money order for $5.00 out in the mail to cover postage etc.

Marti

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8498770

Marti - $2 should cover it. Thank you dearie. Would you like me to wait to send them till they're rooted?

One or two of the cuttings have flowers hanging. Gosh they're pretty. Their good condition makes me think that they will do just fine. I'll send 2 or 3...

Here's my list of takers:

sherman99
marti001
skellogg
dmtom

Did I miss anybody?

Hear from you soon. :)
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8498872

I'll send the $2.00 on next Wednesday. If you want to root them first thats fine with me or you can send them and I'll root them here. Either way will work for me.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 15, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8499044

I'll get it sent to you on Monday, as our small town post office is closed on Saturdays, budget cuts, I s'pose. Thanks so so much!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8502018

[quote="AmandaEsq"]Marti - $2 should cover it. Thank you dearie. Would you like me to wait to send them till they're rooted?

One or two of the cuttings have flowers hanging. Gosh they're pretty. Their good condition makes me think that they will do just fine. I'll send 2 or 3...

Here's my list of takers:

sherman99
marti001
skellogg
dmtom

Did I miss anybody?

Hear from you soon. :)
[/quote]

Me, me, me... I've been out of town and unable to answer you till now.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8502022

I'll send you postage also. You can wait until mine is rooted. Is you address in the address exchange? If not, dmail me please
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8502043

amanda- be happy to paypal you the money, please dmail me your paypal email please if it is ok.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8502438

I've wanted to grow a Wisteria in a container ever since I saw a bonsai Wisteria. It was so gorgeous!

I'm not familiar with Iris but there is one growing at the end of a building near by that is surrounded by 'tubers'. I feel bad for it because they are completely uncovered and they are enormous!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8502447

Iris grow on top of the ground, the roots will go down and the tuber stays up. If you bury the tuber it either will not bloom or it will rot if it stays under and wet, so iffin ya like them, keep them shallow or on the top of the surface.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 17, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8502464

Bearded iris rhizomes should be planted with the top of the rhizome exposed. So if you plant half in the dirt and half out you should be ok. Also mound the dirt up before you plant so that if you receive alot of rain the rhizome won't be sitting in a puddle.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8502483

OH good to know! Now I don't feel bad that they are uncovered. Er do I still feel bad that there are so many huge tubers? There are a lot of them.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 17, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8502533

If you have alot of rhizomes it sounds like its time to divide them and give them some room. Crowding will cut down on them blooming, Ang. So after your bloom season in Bremerton you can dig and separate your irises.

The iris that's blooming (lets call that rhizome the mother) will bloom only once. After it is done blooming it will spend the rest of it's life sending out increases or new babies. You'll see the baby increases attached to the mother rhizome. I've had a mother produce 8 new increases in one year so you can understand how they'll become crowded quickly and should be divided every two or three years (depending how much room you've originally allowed for growing)

Hope the info help you
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8502806

Mitt, how are yours coming along? Close to blooms yet? Any possibilities of sales this summer? Ya know I need first dibs on looking!
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 17, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8502965

Sale will start next month if you know anyone who is interested.

My irises should start to bloom in 2 or 3 weeks and continue thru the month of May. We received over 3" of rain last night and I haven't been able to get out and check the garden
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8502990

I AM< ME< ME ME !!!!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8503049

I guess I should take the little bit of cedar mulch I put on mine off. I know about leaving the rhyzome on top of the ground, I just thought the big pieces of mulch would look nice. Not much rain here, maybe I should water them. I thinned them last year as I only had a couple of bloom, hoping they would bloom better this year. I want to plant them all down my fencline and driveway. I just love them, they are soooooooooooo pretty!!!!! I would be able to enjoy them out my kitchen window and every time I left and when I would return.

Please put my husband and I in your prayers. BIG prayers, please. Thanks to everyone!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8503073

Prayers are with you. HUGS!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8503655

You and yours are in my thoughts, as well as a couple of wisteria weeds with your name on them.

The weeds are resting comfortably friends. Will probably be at least a week or so before I can think about shipping them. I'll Dmail those on my list when that happens. I'll be looking for roots. :)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8503664

Amanda ... please put your address in the Address Exchange or dmail me and I will send you postage, so you are not out the $'s before you send.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8503762

Amanda, do you have any extra seeds or small seedlings? I think I have some money in my change jar I could send you.

Mitt, thanks for the advice. These aren't my irises but I think the woman who originally planted them isn't around any more. Since it's planted into the ground here that means it's technically the landscapers job to divide and what not but my Dad could totally do it.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8503944

I'll need the address also.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8503947

Should of looked first. Address is in the exchange. Will get my postage out in the mail on Wednesday.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8504210

Al, Got your box of Iris shipped this morning and just call it a belated birthday gift! Hope they do well for you. I know you got purple with lavender petals with yellow throats and some dark purple/almost black, and some huge white blooms with a hint of blue smoke inside it. Those I can guarantee are there but some have never bloomed and not sure what those may be. Probably will bloom later this year or next. They are babies off others.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8504862

Hi again - yes my addy is in the proper place for exchange, methinks.

Ang - I will have extra cuttings. I have it on good authority that a wisteria grown from seed won't bloom for 7 - 15 years, so vegetative reproduction works best. If you really want, I did collect some dried seed pods which you can have.

I have cuttings soaking and hope to have roots and/or ship within the next week or two.

Here's my list! :)

sherman99
marti001
skellogg
dmtom
crit
tikipod

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8504917

WooHoo! Oh my, so glad that you are doing this for us, as I really don't want to wait 7-15 years for seeds to grow! Besides, there is no way I could keep seedlings alive that long, lol! I'd lose them, or forget about them or something. Can't imagine how they can be invasive here with our winters, so I'm not worried about that at all, but am wondering how they can take that long in good growing conditions, lol!
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8504996

i am too old to wait that long for seeds to grow. thank you amanda for making this possible
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8506137

Um I'll take cuttings lol. I'd like a plant that'll bloom before my son heads off to college.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8506478

LOL! Or in my case, the grandsons head off to college!
kevinblaine
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8512481

Could I please get some newbie seed? Sending envie and postage out to you tomorrow or Sat. Thank you very very much.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8512511

Hi kevin, put a note in your envie and tell Arejay a few kinds you would really like to find and she will try to find as close as she can to that. And welcome aboard!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8513826

Welcome, Kevin!

For example, you could ask for certain kinds of Columbines. If Arejay doesn't have gobs and stacks in stock, please mention it again here, because I (and many others) have several kinds stashed away.

Since you've only been in DG a week or two, let me mention a feature that should in principle be really usefull:

If you go to "Plant Files", and find some specific variety you wish you had, or that you have enough of that you could share seeds or rooted plants or bulbs or cuttings with others, there is a button somewhere that lets you add that specific variety to your "Have" list or "Want" list, in a searchable format, so that anyone else browsing Plant Files can find people who "Want" or "Have" that exact variety.

For example, 214 varieties of Columbine.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php

Or some people will list a whole species or even genus as a "Want", and then add comments like "anything blue" or "anything hardy in Zone 4".

However, that seems to work out to an even trade so seldom, that I've had people express amazement when we managed to find a trade that way. More often, someone sends something "for postage" and becuase they're generous. Or you can search someone's member page "Want List" to discover that once upon a time, they wanted something obscure, that you happen to have a half-pkt of, left over.

I think you'll find a lot of generous people here!

(I especially like sending unusual and difficult seeds to people who are better gardeners than I am (almost anyone), because if I kill all the seeds I I have left of that variety, next year thay may be re-offering it back.)

Corey
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8513989

Welcome Kevin! This is a great group of gardeners. And there is a WEALTH of knowledge. Feel free to ask questions and join us in chat.

Corey ... I'm disappointed. No funny in your post. Think you would scare Kevin away? lol

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8514013

It's like an evil spirit or guardian angel that comes and goes. Sometimes I look at the screen, discover that what I'm typing is funny, and wonder where it came from.

My SO tells me that it must be a Muse ... and that when I try to just BE funny without the spontaneous Muse providing the humor, the results are pathetic. I would agree!

If I knew what She liked, I'd leave out milk and cookies for Her, or whatever She preferred ...

Corey
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8514026

I don't remember anybody offering me cookies, Corey. LOL

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8514039

Me either????? Where is mine? I like cookies and mojitos.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8514061

Hmmm ... Elves, Muses and gardeners ... "will work for cookies".

Sounds good to me!

Corey
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8514158

There's the Corey I expect! ☺

Here is a picture of our new horses. I gave Frisky (black) a bath this afternoon when I got home from work, because it was 90* and is suppose to be colder and rainy (ya right!) until Tuesday. She had psoriasis or dandruff or something on her back, and I wanted to bathe her with a medicinal soap. It was our first dance at this and she did really good. Tried to rear up a couple of times, but I just kept talking to her. I really think she was trying to see if I was afraid of her or not. lol She found out ...NOT.

Thumbnail by Crit

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8514167

Red, isn't my DH original with names. lol

Thumbnail by Crit

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8514173

Both of them. Getting them at feeding time is the only time we can get near them without them wanting to be petted!

Thumbnail by Crit

kevinblaine
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8514330

Thank everyone for the welcome, and I have been excited about being a member here. It's taking a while to learn to navigate the site, but I'm learning.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8514437

If ya need any help holler and someone will come running.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8514487

Happy Easter weekend everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=N5ddoyfn6g4
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8514782

Happy Easter Everyone...The sun came out...I planted all day in spite of the probability of frost coming and taking half of what I planted..I just couldn't resist. Hi Kevin Ill be watching for your envie and everything they said I agree...

This message was edited Apr 23, 2011 9:57 AM

Thumbnail by arejay59

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8514881

Morning everyone!! Happy Easter!

Kevin, Dorothy and I will be at the Flea Market this weekend. It will be our last weekend for awhile. Stop in if you get the chance and pick out a birdhouse gourd as our welcome to Dave's Garden. I might have some iris for you. Come see me about it.

Marti
kevinblaine
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8515719

Thank you Marti. I can't wait to try your jam and jelly too.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8515753

Be sure to let me know how you like the Orange Jelly and Spicy Tomato Jam you bought.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8516344

Tomato jam? What do you do with that? I know, I know ... eat it. lol
kevinblaine
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8516466

Arejay,
I didn't get the envelope and postage sent as planned. I will try to get it out on Monday.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2011 10:54 PM
kevinblaine
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8516504

Marti,
The spicy tomato jam was awsome! I and the 2 year old love it on just plain bread. The orange jelly tasted great too. I can't wait to have it on chicken or biscuits. It was an absolute joy seeing all your wonderful flowers, and thank you so much for all the starts you gave me. I'm looking forward to seeing those Iris pop out next year. I had never seen the red colored wood sorrel like you had... either I haven't been paying much attention, or I just don't go where it's growing. Thank you for inviting me over and offering me so many wonderful plants. I'm going to be busy planning and planting. :)
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8516565

Spicy Tomato Jam is great on pancakes, french toast, hot buttermilk biscuits. Some people do love it on plain bread. It also makes a great glaze for chicken, pork and beef.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2011
2:35 AM

Post #8516799

MM Im heading for KY !! No schedules here Kevin whenevver you send ...Ill catch and return!!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8517561

I'm with you Robin - off to KY we go;o)

Welcome Kevin! Glad you got marti nearby!

Happy Easter everyone! Beautiful weekend here - in the 80s. Trying to get as much done outside as I can cuz we all know that summer heat is coming and then I'll be hating to be outside;o)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8517575

I'ts RAINING ... PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!! A good gentle rain too. The soaking in kind. Thank you GOD

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8518169

I was at the farmers' market this weekend too, and we smelled this BREAD in one of the buildings. We bought a loaf (just 2 of us) and ate the whole loaf together with a jar of hot dill pickles. MAN alive. :D

That was some good stuff.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 24, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8518363

Way to go Amanda !!!

So what kind of a loaf was it? I have a bread machine and have made a number of different kinds of bread. Once I managed to eat half a loaf of warm Italian bread with some butter.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8518376

I love freshbaked bread slathered with real butter! MmmmMmmmMmMMMmm

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8518950

This was a full size loaf with a rounded golden top. ('Bout 10" x 6" x 8" (?)). It tasted like honey. It had the nicest soft crunchy texture baked all over, but it had a thin crust. The inside was white and fluffy, sort of flaky and soft and warm. OMG! They didn't have a slicer so when we sat down and pulled it from the paper bag, I just picked it up and took a bite out of the side of it. ha ha haha ha - what great fun that was. And the pickles were from Amish Country in OH. It took some mean deliberation in the pickle aisle to decide. I'm drooling now. The quart jar with the pickle juice is still in the car. I'll have some for breakfast. We also bought a jar of sweet pickled beets, but they couldn't compete with the rest.

I'm a cheap date! What can I say. :D
kevinblaine
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8519873

I love bread; now I'm hungry. Time for some jam. :)
Hmmm, pickles do sounds good however. Pickles and jam anyone???
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8519989

I love Bread and Butter Pickles!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2011

Post #8520004

I'll stick to the bread smothered in butter and strawberry jam! YUM
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8520171

Me too!! Fresh bread and homemade jam!! Yum!! I make a garlic pickle I havent tried them with fresh bread maybe you have something there Amanda~~~
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8520293

I make Kosher dill pickles with garlic. My favorite jam is red raspberry and blackberry
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8520571

Kosher dill pickles?? You want to trade for some of my Spicy Tomato Jam??
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8520736

I haven't made any the last couple of years. Don't plant a vegie garden anymore since it is just the 2 of us. I just do a few tomatoe plants. But they were yummy. They were my ex-husbands great-grandmothers recipe

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2011
11:35 PM

Post #8520842

Once I discovered a certain bakery with ummmm-mmm rye bread. I would try picking up a loaf when i was about to have company.

That didn't work, until learned to go there just one day before they arrived - and get two loaves.

Corey
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2011
4:09 AM

Post #8520955

LOL corey. I know when I was baking bread for fairs or special occasions, I had to make more than one, then put the one I wanted for this in the refrigerator with "Do Not Eat" on the top of it! My family loved when I baked for the fair because the top of my big chest type freezer would be covered with breads, rolls, cookies, cinnamon rolls, etc., that didn't make the 'cut' for the special event.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8521303

:(((
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8521551

Oh homemade Cinnamon rolls... That sounds so yummy...This thread has become dangerous ...
kevinblaine
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8522788

I think I've gained 10 pounds since joining DG. lol
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8522791

I gained 5 since reading this thread!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8523793

How about I add to everyone's weight gain!! LOL

Thumbnail by marti001

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8523859

Wow !! Did you make tha Marti? It is beautiful...are you really going to cut it?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8523942

Sorry did not make it. I just don't do good with cakes. BUT If I had it here I'd sure as heck cut it. How else we going to enjoy it?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8524235

Some people sure are talented but I wasn't one of em. But I did have this blooming today.

Thumbnail by mekos

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8524453

Bulbs really are foolproof! This was my first year planting bulbs:

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8524569

And what pretty blooms you have there. Only problem I have with bulbs is SQUIRRELLS!
Nasty varmits dig and eat most of my bulbs.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8526715

I covered everything with chicken wire and hot pepper flakes when I planted the bulbs, and only lifted that after they had sprouted well. I still have some digging, and plan to renew the pepper flakes.

I'm trying to decide whether those beds will just sit idle after the bulbs arre spent, or figure out
what can i sow on top of them?

Corey
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8527114

Is everyone out of the wa of the storms?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8527128

I'm good but I think Crit was looking fur you on the newbee thread, next door.

Thumbnail by mekos

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 28, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8527173

Just rain and wind here Robin.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8527180

Just fast moving clouds here!!
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 28, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8527192

Those storms were horrible. I've been watching CNN. It's so sad to see what they're going thru. In a blink of an eye they lost their home, their cars, their jobs, their neighbors and in some cases their families.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2011
1:44 AM

Post #8527739

I know it is scary . I dont think we really comprehend it here in the NE we get northeasters but the worst they do is keeps us in our houses and cause us to have to shovel we might get a fallen power line.We get mostly inconveniance though We dont live in the kind of fear a lot of states do.We will be more accepting of our ice and snow. Its nothing compared to the storms that people around the world have suffered and are overcoming lately.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8528489

Just glad to see friends pop in so we know they are OK.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2011

Post #8528622

The storms are just devastating - I am keeping the ones affected in my prayers.

Corey - please don't use hot pepper flakes as a deterrant in your garden. If the animal gets the pepper in it's eye it causes severe pain, so much so that animals have been found that have scratched their eyes out. At the least it can cause vision loss and blindness. I know some are considered pests to gardeners but they are living creatures too.

Off my soapbox now...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8529512

Thanks, LocaKelly. My mom once said, "Manda, isn't there enough for everyone?"

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8530277

LOL - we can always try to make sure there is enough to go around. Everything has to eat;o)
kevinblaine
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8537081

Hi Arejay,
Just checking to be sure my SASE was received. I ended up having to go to post office and put more postage on it to send out.
Kevin
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8538811

Hi Kevin
I got your envie!! It will be on its way back soon!!
kevinblaine
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8540399

Okay, thanks Arejay. I just wanted to be sure it arrived and postage was okay. No rush.
kevinblaine
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8562998

Got my newbie seed today. Then envie was stuffed full of goodies. Thank you so much! I can't wait to plant them.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8563173

Isn't that just the coolest thing to get in the mail????
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8564384

Yippie, another satisfied newbee!

Thumbnail by mekos

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8564464

mekos, where do I get one of those?!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8564586

Hmmmmm, you mean Calla lily?
MiloBuddy thinks we MIGHT, JUST MIGHT, find a weeee little bulb in there we could seperate when it finishes blooming iffin ya really want one.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8564590

We have some iris that are black looking too.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8564592

My red false yucca

Thumbnail by mekos

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8564612

Holy COW Mekos - that calla lily is just absolutely gorgeous. :)

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8564702

Thank you for the compliments. I love it. I have Calla lilies in several colors, but that one is my favorite color.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8565097

mekos, what can I send you for the calla?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8565668

I saw calla lilies at Wal-Mart yesterday for $5. I almost bought some, but didn't. I probably will end up getting them. Do they require full sun?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8565846

If you can find the black for 5.00 by all means grab all you can. The cheapest I found last year for a few tiny bulbs not old enough to bloom was 15.00 pluss shipping. These will shoot up a seed head after they finish blooming and be ripe this fall for planting. I'll save some if anyone wants any just remind me this fall. I have bunches of other colors, all colors, but some are not blooming yet. I just took these out of the greenhouse and they were ready to open. The ones in the yard will bloom soon though. Mine get half and half sun. Early morning and late evening. Shade in the hottest time of day.I have pastel colors, yellow, pink and lavender too.Some have spotted leaves some solid green leaves.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
1:36 AM

Post #8565980

Glad you got your envie Kevin!! Have fun...Jan are you over here starting a black flower collection...watch out just talking about black Lucy could show up!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
3:26 AM

Post #8566039

I'm shaking now, Arejay! I tend to gorget about Lucy sometimes!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8566087

The ones that I saw were a lovely shade of pink. I don't have any of them is why I almost picked up a couple.

Who is Lucy????
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8566088

Oh my goodness, is there anyone who doesn't know WHO Lucy is? Oh my! OK Arejay, WHO is Lucy?!? Splain!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8566109

Mekos: I will send you my firstborn for some black calla. :D

AND who is Lucy.

Please 'splain.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8566115

Lucy? Who is Lucy? We all want to know!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011

Post #8566132

I couldn't possibly explain. She will show!! Just watch...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011

Post #8566134

Well all I can say is ya don't want to run up on Lucy in the dark. Ya ever watch the show about the Munsters? Ya know that man eating plant they had, well now it has been known to hang around these parts at times and people go missing. Seems one of them Kelly Twins keeps Lucy.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8566135

Sorry Arejay, we Do Si Doed up there.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8566137

AAAHH!! Got it! Finally!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8566147

Marti, how is laVonne doing? Hope she is getting stronger.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8566222

Rowt row your probly in big trouble JB...
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8566454

LaVonne is doing a little better. She has an appointment with a specialist on the 24th to see how bad her liver has gotten. The problem is it will not get better. It will either stay the same or get worse and from what the doctor said, it will get worse, either slowly or it could quit functioning very quickly. She is not eligible for a liver transplant due to her diabeties and other health problems. So we are in a waiting game.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8566797

I thought a liver could heal itself>like regenerate? Hmmmm, this is not good. I am so sorry but we are praying for her full recovery and I am believing she will get better. Hugs. I will get you and Crit a bulb (Calla)as soon as they finish blooming and I see if there are babies in there. Take care and hug LaVonne for me.

Thumbnail by mekos

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8566882

wow... thanks mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8566910

Did someone say Lucy?!? Shhhhhhhhhh!!!! We really don't want her to show up now do we?

Oh, for all the newbies, I'm the Angelic Kelly Twin. It's my dark sister Cue you need to be worried about - her and Lucy...
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8566965

Thanks mekos! LaVonne is getting alot of prayers from people so maybe she will be OK. Don't know what I'll do if I lose her.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8567701

We wont think that route Marti, just speak out her healing. Speak positive and believe the positive for her.
Yup, We got KT1 and KT2 and Lucy of course so watch out for the darkish pair! That girl is ALWAYS getting me in trouble when she shows up.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8567877

marti, who is LaVonne? I will put in prayers also.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8567902

LaVonne is my older sister. I moved to Kentucky to help her out, but my heart is still in Calif with my son and grandson.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
3:32 AM

Post #8568622

Bless your heart Marti. That was such a sacrifice to take care of her and I know she does appreciate it. Bless you dear.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8568649

Good Morning Everyone!! You are an angel Marti...I know your sister must be so grateful for your devotion. I certainly would be.Hugs for you...
I have some news for everyone!! Remember last year when I offered up the free seeds for newbees?? I thought someone else might like to try their hand at it...well someone does!! Guess who? Winner gets...um what ..something...Oh seeds!! Yes of course ...a surprise package of seed oh wait or maybe...I will send the winner a beautiful named Iris...not sure which Iris ..but Ill send you one.That will kick off my latest and maybe one of my favorite things...Mits Iris Sale... Winner gets a named Iris or a nice package of seed. Winners choice..who is taking over as the keeper of the seed???
BTW have I told you lately my Brug is magical!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
4:19 AM

Post #8568662

I am guessing Rick_Corey ... ^_^
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2011
4:23 AM

Post #8568666

Wow!! That was really fast!! Congrats Crit!! Which do you pick?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8568669

WIll you dmail me your mailing address Crit?

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8568671

Iris?

Thumbnail by arejay59

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8568672

Are you serious????? LOL

Named iris. Maybe a burgandy or pretty blue colored one. I have had a yellow and a two tone purple bloom, so I know I have those. THANKS!!!

Congratulations to you to Corey. I know you'll have fun with it!!!!!! and be great at it.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8568702

Yes Crit I am serious you win!! Yes Corey will do a great job... Just dont hoot too loud when you all find out he is much more organized and therefore faster than me...If you do...Im calling Lucy!!
So here is the new threead and I am sure you will here from Corey before the days is a new one...Hugs everyone Crit wins...Corey wins...hey a win win!!
Notice I made the thread in the Welcome Mat forum versus the seed trading forum as you know how busy we get...and it is prime seed trading time...we take over the thread sometimes...Besides where better to put the Free seed for Newbees thread then in the oh Welcome Mat!!!!
Here is the thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1182272/

Hugs to you all...Keep in touch...Robin

Thumbnail by arejay59

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8569722

>> Just dont hoot too loud when you all find out he is much more organized and therefore faster than me

FFFPPPTTT! As if! I was just about to Dmail someone I did a one-on-one trade with about two weeks ago, to find out if I ever sent it. And most people I've traded with know better than to think I'm faster than anyone ... organized, MAYBE, sometimes, but that just means more and better procrastination.

Which I will try to avoid.

I love the idea of a thread in the Welcome Mat. But there HAS TO remain a New Bee Seed thread here in Seed Trading.

(recklessly) Let's keep BOTH!

Here goes a new thread in THIS forum, since we're up to 361 posts.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1182370/

Corey.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8569919

I was the last newbee to send Robin an envie.

I must have pushed her over the edge with my unreasonable demands.

Thanks for picking up the pieces Corey. :D

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8570044

>> I must have pushed her over the edge

I dunno 'bout thaaaat ... Robin had been hinting for some time.

At least in my case, there's no risk related to going over the edge or around the corner. I'm already so far gone that I can't even SEE them from where I am!

"Total lunacy?" Been there, done that, got the Tee shirt. Woo Hoo!

I just wish there was a way for several people to share the fun, but it seems that "The Box" has to be in one place, or we get into problems like Wal-Mart and Amazon.com have: high postage due to shipping from multiple warehouses. I'm going to think about that.

If we have huge multiples of many things, and the requests tend to fall into a few categories, maybe several people COULD handle it in parallel.

Corey

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8570611

Hmmm. Well I don't know how the stuff works, and I didn't exactly ASK for much - I just sent about $20 extra postage and an 8 1/2" x 11" manilla envelope. :D

Very interesting concept tho' that all this stuff could fit into a box somewhere. Not volunteering or anything. Though I am hosting my first swap - jumping right in!

I guess I should follow the new thread, eh? See you there. ;)

A.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8572159

Im going to close this thread so newbees can find the active threads posted in this message...Hugs Robin

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1182370/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1182272/

This message was edited May 18, 2011 4:47 PM
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
2:46 AM

Post #9380705

Good Morning? I think I have found my last official thread of free seed for newbees!! Lets go from here!! Can anyone tell me where the last active thread is for newbee seeds? I don't visit as often since I passed that hat so if you are trying to find me and can't... arejay59@gmail.com and the Iris facebook page are good places to look. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bearded-Iris

Hugs to you all.
Arejay

Thumbnail by arejay59

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9380874

Hi Robin! - I sort of lost track of this thread a few months ago. We have had some good conversations going, but several folks just lost interest or went elsewhere. I think the idea of giving out free seeds likely took up too much space, or got complicated and time consuming as you are well aware. Rising postal costs haven't helped the cause either. I'm not sure what the remedy is, perhaps a "paid" keeper of the stash or some other arrangement would work better. Obviously it takes a truely dedicated person to do this, and we all appreciate what you and others have done for us in the past.

Good to hear from you again.

Al

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9381075

I still owe you all those bolxes back. I keep looking atg the still-to-be sorted box, and the stack of partly-compiled trades going out and get overwhelemed.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2013
5:03 AM

Post #9381753

Hi Robin,

Nice to see you back in action! I was the grateful recipient of a lovely batch of seeds from you when I joined two years ago, and it made me sad to see the program die out. Even though the New Bees got stalled for a while, I'm sure there will be plenty of interest if it gets going again. There seem to be a lot of new people, judging by some of the threads on the Beginners Forum. Welcome back!

Pam
RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 12, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9382778

Is there currently a free seed give away for new members right now?
I just subscribed and would love to be a part of it when ever the next one is.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
1:39 AM

Post #9384187

Thank you Pam!! It is good to see you!! Good Morning Rivernymph. I am going to give it the old college try and see if the interest is still here.
paula_p
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2013
5:14 AM

Post #9384276

I am still interested too.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9384315

Ok !! Ill start a new thread today and we will go from there. Stay tuned!!
RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 14, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9384497

WHOA!! :)
OMIGOSH! =)
YIPPEE!! haha
Thanks arejay, how cool!!!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2013
1:40 PM

Post #9384889

Robin, I've weaned down the number of half-packed mailers by four, and will send those out soon. I should just send you all the big boxes ASAP, and worry about the unsorted things later if ever.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
12:22 AM

Post #9385502

Like River said!!

WHOA!! :)
OMIGOSH! =)
YIPPEE!! haha

Ok Corey we will use whatever you send!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
12:24 AM

Post #9385503

Here is the new Thread!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293657/
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
3:57 AM

Post #9385556

New Thread!! Come on over!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293657

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Seed Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My seeds Holly 7 Dec 7, 2010 4:21 AM
wanted orange coneflower SEEDLADY 22 Aug 31, 2007 5:28 AM
Have: Primula Elatior, Mesembryanthemum, Cuphea Ignea babalu 9 May 3, 2010 10:57 AM
looking for mimosa tree seeds (pods) jishro 53 Jan 20, 2011 5:03 PM
Another source for SASE seeds Terry 32 Jun 7, 2011 8:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America