Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Canadian Gardening: What's happening in your neck of the woods/friendly chat!!!!

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 245, Views: 1,364
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 26, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8394096

Thought it was time to move us over...

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1151469/

Think we're all standing in line for the spring thread..lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8394137

I found you!

Have a concert tonight with the Parkdale Orchestra in which I do not usually play but they were desperate for violas and the conductor is a friend of mine.

Got GOOD news today. Brian Law conducted the Ottawa Symphony from 1975 - 1991 and the Ottawa Choral Society for longer than that. In 1991 he moved to Christchurch, New Zealand where he worked with the opera chorus and eventually became director of the Christchurch Cathedral choir. He was IN the cathedral at the time of the earthquake last week for escaped unscathed although much saddened by the destruction. Much relieved to have heard that.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 26, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8394207

How wonderful for you Ann..think you've missed playing in concerts right? Does that entail a lot of rehersals?

Lord was with Brian for sure!Ottawa Symphony and community members must be relieved to hear he's ok. Can't even fanthom the destruction they must be seeing..so many dead and still
missing..that neck of the woods certainly has been hit hard this year!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 26, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8394771

Wow - the Lord was with Brian, for Sure!
How lovely that you're playing in the concert! I shouldn't imagine it would be easy to find a viola player at all, let alone one as accomplished as you are!!!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8394797

The concert went well. It's always amazing how well community musicians play when it comes to concert time. They really rise to the occasion. I MIGHT do their next concert too. I've never played Beethoven's 6th Symphony. wouldn't mind adding it to the list. But I can't do many rehearsals before then end of March as I have concerts with 2 different groups on March 25 and March 26.

These were Brian's words to a local contact -

>>Hi,
I survived!

The fact that I was in the ploding cathedral at the time makes that
statement somewhat remarkable.

The City is devastated and the carnage frightful. This charming.
anachronistic, elegant town that I love is gone and can't be replaced.
Very sad. but I am OK.

Went to my seaside house last night where walking on the beach alone,
the old mother still swayed her to and fro and the moon with
delight looked round her, and this morning the sunrise was a
glorious birth and thus they will continue long after we've all
shuffled off. And that gives me great solace!>>

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 26, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8394813

What beautiful, touching words Brian said... about his time at the seaside house.
and the devastation is terrible to hear...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 27, 2011
3:56 AM

Post #8395014

Very touching! And to think we complain about cold and stormy weather, we truly don't know how lucky we have it when you hear of all the devastation that's gone on in the past few years in other countries..

Big commitment on your part Ann with having a full slate of rehersal's already scheduled..is an opportunity though for you to do something different!

Fighting a migraine for 2 days, must go take a few more capsules hoping to fight it off..wondering if my playing with my ipad, screen being so bright that I've put stress on my eyes thus causing the headaches..will stay away from playing with it and see if that helps.

The snow is falling ever so softly this morning, almost like looking at a Christmas card, thought it was suppose to rain for a few days so perhaps it will warm up as the day progresses and rain it will.

As I haven't done a thing all weekend I thought I might play making neck glass pendant holders to hold your glasses, had promised some to friends and am 3/4 of the way finished, a few hours work and I'd be done so hoping this pounding stops..

Susan, have fun putting your house back together after the flooring..bet it looks lovely...

Enjoy your day, hope you all have something exciting planned!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 27, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8395096

Thanks for the 'move on over' Betty .. hope your migraine lets go soon .. could be the ipad .. the ones I looked at had
'I can be MISPLACED easily' written all over them, doesn't mean I still don't want one though ^_^

One of my family members also heard from her daughter in an area just outside of ChristChurch , she had initially been trapped in the school she teaches in (a one story) .. but was extracated without a scratch. Her stories of the devastation are heart wrenching. I do think we'll see her back in Canada soon.

Our 'cold snap' seems to have loosened its grip .. have a luncheon with 'the VCARS gurls' this afternoon .. be nice not to have to go out dressed FULL BORE for freezing temps !!!
In fact .. it's snowing right now .. just noticed ..

Having company in for supper, best go and do some prep ..

Enjoy your day

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 27, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8395220

'M' bought the large case for it,almost like small binder, much easily found!

No company for supper but lots of visitors been dropping in of late so mass some sweets and bread pudding so I've something to offer them
Your family member must have been living in he'll not knowing if she was alive or dead...know I'd be on first plane home!

Just got back from grocery store and earlier had done a walk in the gardens and it was enjoyable...spring is right around the corner
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

February 27, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8395466

Can't keep up with you all! My sister got back her CT scan and it's not the greatest news. They found a lesion on her brain and the chemo treatments didn't shrink the cancer in her lungs and liver. She is coming into the city for a Gamma Knife that they will do on Thursday. She is also will be getting a second opinion because she wants to get started on the Tarceva but the cancer doctor doesn't know because of her also having adult leukemia.

:(

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 27, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8395508

Oh my PG .. quite the situation for your sister.
Will she have the Gamma Knife treatment at Health Sciences ?
I know Cancer Care Manitoba is a well respected organization .
I wish you all the best ..

Wind has come up .. so .. will have to dress up a bit more warmly before leaving ..

TTFN

~M~
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

February 27, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8395545

Thank you, Marilynne! Yes, she will be having it at the Health Science Centre.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 27, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8395694

Sending prayers for your sister. She has quite the battle ahead of her! am sure you are terribly worried.
No medical knowledge, could you explain the ..gamma knife...
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

February 27, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8395730

Thank you, Betty!

Gamma Knife is a high dose of radiation directly pinpointed to the lesion. Here is a link that explains it in more details:

http://www.wrha.mb.ca/prog/surgery/gamma_knife/patient_day_of.php

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 27, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8395995

Thank you for the link..will you both be able to spenld some time together?
Cannot seem to rid myself of the headache, maybe a hot bath will help..
Quite mild out there this afternoon, cannot believe how much of the snow has melted...nice to see some grass and mud. Lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 28, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8397203

Well Betty .. has your headache gone? Could it be sinus related? Seems this time of year that's a real concern for some folks.

Dinner went well last evening , as did the VCARS 'coffee date' .. I had thought it was a luncheon .. but it ended up as just a little get together .. have to make some phone calls today as there was a recipe tossed about for some sort of Maple Syrup bread .. I never quite caught it ..

Didn't watch the Oscars .. read all about'em on CNN this morning .. I gather 'The King's Speech' is the BIG winner .. from the trailers I have seen it certainly does look to be a good bit of entertainment.

Gord is off to Wisconsin for a couple of weeks to go ice fishing, and to visit his friend. His friend, Gary, is a Korean War Vet .. a real character ...

I best get these sleepy head doggies out for a wee walk .. well .. Lilly at least !!! Piper still acts up re being leashed !

Have a great week .. MARCH arrives tomorrow ... like a Lamb I think (here at least)

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 28, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8397524

Morning all...think I hit every kind of weather coming in, mild and no snow, to snow, to sleet, to freezing rain then rain...lol..not sure what 1st of March will bring in, think it's the lamb..yikes, would rather have it come in like a lion and be done with it!! From past experience, do you believe that old addage?

Still playing with the migraine, talking ever so softly, not moving around much in hopes that it doesn't act up like it did all weekend.

Your Maple Syrop bread doesn't sound like something one should eat when on a diet..lol..I should say that when I did muffins and bread pudding yesterday and ate a good bit on my own..lol

I had full intentions of watching the Oscars but closed my eyes and there went that!!!
I was please with the outcome, saw King's Speech and really enjoyed it..

Hope Gord enjoys his fishing and am sure he will, nothing like spending time with an old friend.

Called my son Greg this morning and asked if he was still travelling on the ice with his snowmobile, said yes, gave him the what for, one drowning and then another 3 men saved..not a good thing..not sure about the man who drowned but Greg said the 3 who were pulled out had been drinking, Greg said in the 33 years he's been travelling the bay, NOBODY goes where these 4 were...still doesn't make me feel any better that he's enjoying the last of the season...guess the fish huts and ice fishing comes to an end here at midnight tonight.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 28, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8397883

SHIVA wrote:

Hello everyone. My name is Lisa. I never posted here before, mostly just a lurker and information seeker. I have been away from the site entirely for about a year. My friend who introduced me to this site passed away in October so it's been a bit hard to face the place without her coming to mind. I have plans this summer to build her a tribute in my 1 acre forested yard...I hope it turns out the way her and I used to dream of. Sorry for the heavy post...just renewed my membership and thought I would introduce myself to the Canadians here.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 28, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8397885

I responded:

Glad you decided to come out of 'lurking' mode Shiva! Sorry about the loss of your friend, I'm sure your memorial garden will be just the thing for you to sit and be at peace with her. I am sure you will do justice to her memory.

We all welcome you,hope you join in the daily chat! You've had quite the winter this year as well, guess you are anxious to get out in that wooded lot and dream of what it can become...you've plenty of areas for secret gardens, I envy you!

HOPE Shiva you post that lovely photo of your garden woods on this new thread
shiva_kalima
London
Canada

February 28, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8397920

Yeah here is a small taste of the yard that I have to work with. I hope you all will have suggestions. Anne and I dreamed, but there is much more potential out there than we ever got around to talking about. Each time I post, I will add a pic of the yard. If you have an idea or vision that pops out at you, please post it! I think I'll show y'all my pond now as well.

Thumbnail by shiva_kalima

shiva_kalima
London
Canada

February 28, 2011
10:31 AM

Post #8397924

I am very anxious to get outside of course. There were a lot of happenings here late summer and fall of last year so I missed the tail end of our season. I'm wondering if I can 'winter sow' some seeds and just throw them out by the shed so they'll be ready for planting when I am?

shiva_kalima
London
Canada

February 28, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8397927

And here...one last photo for now. The grassed area of my backyard...I hope to put a kitchen garden here this spring.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 28, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8397999

Welcome Shiva ... sorry to hear of your loss ..
Love the look of your pond .. as well as your property .. it;s a huge endeavour working on large parcels of land.
I have 10 acres of which maybe 3.5 are 'tamed' LoL

Just spoke with Lorna's parents .. seems there are some BIG winds and rain down that way ..
We have 'the chill' .. and wind, not too big.
The sun is blazing,makes things nicer and the dogs and cat all have 'sunspots' ..

Guess I'll take Lorna walking a bit later .. depends on the wind chill.

Take care

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 28, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8398022

What I wouldn't give to have that parcel of land where you have the river/pond..omg how much fun you'll have making it into a piece of 'heaven'!!! I never have luck with starting seeds in the house, my best results is early spring, rake the ground, toss the seeds and if they grow they grow..lol

"M" will check the weather and see what is brewing...Mike is having a lung operation as we speak, Ann who is intimidated by driving in the city must be beside herself...hope if conditions aren't the best that she'll find a hotel around the NewMarket Hospital.

Went ou for lunch and much the same, cold in the wind but if you can find a little corner where the sun is shinning it's actually enjoyable...few more hours left to my workday..was fine with the headache until I started to move around at lunch time..drats...
shiva_kalima
London
Canada

February 28, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8398060

Yeah the property is great! I'm looking forward to a long hard working growing season this year! I just got in from a walk with my pooch (Lexus)...when I left it was 2 degrees, and when I got back it was 0 lol. The forecast for my area says warmer and warmer..I hope it stays that way! I have always grown all my plants from seed to tell the truth...very few were cuttings or plants bought/given to me. I just don't know about this winter sowing...sounds a little odd to me. I suppose I'll google it :) Thanks for the warm welcomes and thoughts

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 28, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8398086

I don't winter sow but so many do..hope someone one this thread can lead you in the right direction!
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8398114

Welcome Shiva. I believe there is a winter sowing forum that will give you lots of info. I have tried it in the past but have just as good luck just planting early in the spring.
Probably the worst storm we have had this winter going on today. Sent us home from work at 3 and darn glad to be here. It was the first time I have been nervous driving. Lots of heavy wet snow and high winds - visibility is nil. So much drifting in front of the door I had to shovel my way in. Supposed to change to freezing rain and rain overnight - it will be a mess in the morning.
I am really ready for a bit of spring.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8398171

Welcome Shiva. Thanks for telling us about yourself.

Lottsa snow here in Ottawa. We did get out snowshoeing this afternoon and I spend some time shovelling the driveway. Not all of it though.

I don't think I told you folks that I've got a new handbell coming for my bell choir. A group posted on the Handbell -L that they had acquired an extra set of bells that had two bass bells which they wanted to sell. One we had, but the other was the bottom note of the 5 th octave - C3. We have 4 1/2 octaves plus an F3 and really didn't have plans to add more bells, but that is the one bell I would consider and it was for sale at 60% of its considerable cost.

Various donations have bought it for us in memory of one of my ringers who passed away about 18 months ago and tomorrow a friend and I will drive down to Ogdensburg, NY to get it. It arrived there this morning.

Ann (Viann)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 28, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8398182

Glad you are home safe, they would not expect you to go in tomorrow if it doesn't improve. Guess the storm that was brewing our way finally made it to NewBrunswick!

Do you have back roads you can travel during storms to get you home..as for me, I prefer doing so when it's bad weather, a lot less intimidating than being on the main motor routes that way I can go the speed I feel most comfortable driving.

How many days are they calling for the same?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 28, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8398185

That's quite exciting for you Ann bet you are thrilled...they must be costly? How are the renovations coming with the church? Do you have all the permits as needed now? lots of questions right?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 28, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8398380

Laurie .. glad you're home !! Yikes re that kind of weather .. I sure hope Thunder Bay steers clear ...

Lisa, as Laurie mentioned .. there are a couple of forums that deal with winter sowing. I am just NOT into it .. I will plant my annuals (bought), baby my perennials, and, if I am REALLY adventurous and feel our northern summer will be LONG .. I'll plant some flower seeds ..
I winter sowed tomatoes once .. lordie .. I had them in almost evey room in the house .. sowed'em WAY too early and had a gangly mess !!

Ann .. enjoy your trip, and I hope the BELL is all you wished for ^_^

Say, Betty, did your headache beat it ?

Toodles

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 28, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8398414

No "M" still with me, just walked in, into a bath, taking meds and off to lay down! Surely it can't stay with me much longer...

I did the same, started seeds and wow they grew in leaps and bounds but before it was time to put them out they were gangly and all died except a few..what a waste of seed (FOR ME) anyway so back to just grabbing a handful and tossing in the gardens.

DId you hear about the man and his wife who put his mother to live in the garage, her bed was plywood, barely any heat, potty for her to use..she's in critical condition..she was living like this for over 3 months..hope they throw the book at them

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 28, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8398729

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - in the garage? What province - ON?
my DH said "don't throw the book at 'em - put the mother in the house, and let Them live in the garage - see how they like it!"

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 28, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8398742

DAWG!!!! I cannot imagine 'Mans inhumanity to Man' ~~ In this case a SON to his mother .. unforgiveable.
Should be made to live like that for the rest of his years ..

Just watched a movie, 'Dark Blue' .. Kurt Russell .. about LAPD in 1991 after the Rodney King episode .. more violent than I like, but ... a good story.

Lilly and Piper are making life interesting .. NOT!! They have the 'WOOFS' .. for whatever reason .. they run into the kitchen .. stare at the kitchen window, and BARK !!!
Once it was a few deer out the back .. the next few times ... well .. WHO KNOWS ... sure do not like taking them out into their compound when they're like this .. keep thinking Mr or Ms Skunk MAY have ventured out from where ever they spend their winter. Do NOT want to have a tub full of Westies to bathe .. as a matter of fact, I have NO tomato juice on hand !!!!!

March 1 tomorrow ... can ya believe it !!!!

^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 28, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8398762

we watched "Precious" last night... talk about "man's inhumanity to man" - in this case, a mother's inhumanity towards her daughter... I couldn't "not" watch it! Makes you realize what life is like for some people.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8398846

Here are the most recent pics on the church renovation - http://www.emmanuelunited.ca/worship_renewal/_revitalization/photo_scrapbook.pdf

And the most recent update has another delay. Looks like late May before we'll get back in.
http://www.emmanuelunited.ca/worship_renewal/_revitalization/updates.htm

I'll post a pic of the bell when we get it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 1, 2011
3:42 AM

Post #8399314

Fancyvan posted on last thread:

Oh man is it cold! Wind chills apparently somewhere around -35!

I did want to go out this morning to take my LH skirt to a dressmaker - I lost so much weight it hangs on my hips! - so I plugged in the car for a couple of hours and set off and darn she was closed! So a quick stop at Safeway and home.

But tomorrow I have to be at Rockyview Hospital at 730AM! I have to use 2 major roads to get there so am going to leave about 630 and hope for the best i.e. that the worst of rush hour will not have started - which of course means I will probably be there very early! ( It is usually a 15 min trip) This is my bone scan appointment- just have to have an injection then can go home for about 3 hours and back for the scan which takes about an hour.

Wed is my CT scan but in the afternoon.

Missing the curling - happy that Sask won. Briar starts on Sat coming up I think!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 1, 2011
3:44 AM

Post #8399319

Susan posted a welcome to Shiva!

I'm behind the ball this morning , moving slowly so a quick
Welcom to MARCH and I'll gab when I get to work
shiva_kalima
London
Canada

March 1, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8399471

Wow Ann, those renovations you are working on are crazy! I wouldn't know where to begin...how are you involved with the whole process?

I have to say I am never surprised by mans inhumanity. It saddens me greatly that anyone can even fathom any of these things let alone actually do them to people around them. The world can be a frightening place! It's hard to decide how a person should be punished in that situation. If we do nothing or close to it, then everyone would do these sorts of things. If we do what they did to them, then we are no better.

It's cold here today -8...I am going to be taking my dog for a few walks anyways. I've been feeling guilty for not getting her out of the house/yard.

The pic is of a path in my yard leading from the very back of the yard towards the house. Last year I had morning glories climbing all over everything, but they didn't do as well here as in previous years. They didn't get as much sun there as they should have once the canopy was filled in.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8399527

Shiva - it's Emmanuel United Church. The original building dates from the early 60s when gas was cheap and insulation expensive. The sanctuary was added about 20 years later. For the last number of years we've been throwing good money after bad to patch up the old building. So we are now doing a $2 million renovation of it which is going over budget as they've found surprises along the way.

That wavy, "folded plate" roof was deemed in good shape and architecturally worth saving but now it looks like there might be some problems with it too. With all the surprises, it likely would have been less expensive to have demolished the whole structure and started over. As it is, all the walls have been removed and totally rebuilt.

We also had to add more structural steel to meet current seismic regulations and having had an earthquake of about 5 last June, you can be sure they are looking at things like that. Meanwhile, the church offices and many activities are in an Anglican church down the street. We are worshiping at the closest United Church. Their main service is their 9:30 service; we've pretty well taken over the 11:15 service. And my handbells are being stored and we practice at a Presbyterian church that's about 15 minutes away. We are "camping" as one person termed it.

The whole project was supposed to have been done by the end of November, but we didn't get the building permit until early November. Demolition of the interior over the summer showed up deficiencies that delayed the building permit. The only way I'm directly involved is in helping to pay for it.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2011 7:16 PM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 1, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8399629

WOW Ann .. quite the pics .. like Lisa, well .. lets just say I'm glad I'm a nurse NOT a construction worker or engineer, altho, I have been know to 'jury rig' a thing or 2 to make due until permanent repairs took place.

Carol, good luck with the drive and the scan .. I remember it as being noisy .. but .. that was a LONG time ago ..

Susan .. PRECIOUS just makes you want to stand up and DO something .. it seems an impossibility that people live and exist in those conditions.
We watched Kurt Russell in a movie entitled "Dark Blue" last night .. again .. this movie showed the seamier side of the LAPD following the Rodney King incident .. like you Susan .. I almost stopped watching it.

Hows the headache Betty? Hope it has dissipated.

Well .. LILLY has a new (annoying) trick/game she plays with me !!!
I am up at 6:30am ... I make coffee .. and before I flip on the computer PIPER trots down the hall and we go out into the compound .. now .. USUALLY .. Lilly is with him .. but .. the last few days she has remained tucked up in bed catching a few more zzzzzzzzs .. so .. Piper and I come in .. I remove, jacket, gloves, boots .. go back to my coffee .. and .. BOOM .. there's Lilly looking up at me .. she has now gotten up ... JEEZE LOUISE !!! SO .. back to putting on the jacket, boots, gloves .. grab the leash, because she likes to walk down to the get the paper, and help me put food out for the deer.
These 2 wee beasties sure keep life interesting !!!!

Enjoy your day everyone!!

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 1, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8400789

I see I missed the new thread- thanks for reposting Betty!

I set my alarm for 6 this morning but kept waking up earlier!Dont often need to use the alarm any more so I guess I keep waking in case it does not go off in time. Anyway I left about 640 and got to the hospital at 7- half hour before they asked so then I waited until 8 to have injection. But if I had left later would have got into real rush hour traffic! Returned at 1130 for scan- 'M ' the bone scan is not noisy at all - took about 15 minutes then she did an extra scan on my left knee. -the one I injured last month ( and several times before in past 10-15 years!) Then the radiologist wanted some X-rays- left knee, right shoulder and middle area of spine. Thats a bit worrisome and I wont know for another 2 weeks about results.

It was about -25 when I left this morning- has hovered around -20 the rest of the day at my house anyway, probably colder officially.

Finally got my LH skirt in to the dressmaker to be taken in- better not put that weight back on!

Tomorrow is CT scan but not until afternoon, nothing to eat for 6 hours but lots of fluids and go 2 hours early to drink their special stuff- about a litre I think maybe
2- cant remember. IV also I think.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8400903

Carol - I hope the tests go all right.

Had a good drive down across the border and this is what I brought home with me. :-)

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8400906

Another view

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8400907

Oops. Trigger finger with the mouse.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 1, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8401243

Oh Ann, you must be thrilled..how many do you now have? They are progressing quickly after the start they've had...it will be amazing to be part of the congregation!

Was listening to the news again, the son and his wife were charged and they said he was contrite,worried about the well being of his mom who is critical..bit late for that...you know there is something to be said to befriend your neighbors, perhaps not total friendship but enough to know who lives with them, don't think neighbors even knew there was a mother so no reason for any if them to be concerned ...

That time of night..wind is howling like crazy, furies are in so will call it a night

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8401360

How many bells or ringers? I've got 12 regular ringers and two more who are mostly on sabbatical. Will likely get another when we move back to our church but getting from bells to choir practice is difficult for people since they are in 2 different locations while we are camping out. But there is someone new at my church who has 10 years experience as a handbell director. Also when we move back to our church, I'll be able to call on my church organist when needed. She can read anything. But we need a man! This baby weighs 8 1/4 pounds.

As for bells, we are now closer to 5 octaves than to 4. We have all of the upper 5th bells and two lower 5th octave bells. We have no plans to get more. There is a strength of ringers problem and a table space issue as well. I saw this one posted on a handbell discussion list and managed to be the first to respond. Cost us only 60% of the new price and it really is in like new condition. If it hadn't been the very bottom of the 5th octave I wouldn't have bought it either.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 1, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8401392

Ann - that's a beautiful handbell!

Betty - I'm so glad they were charged! Sounds like the mom was never leaving the garage, if the neighbours never saw her... mind you, that's not to say they didn't, but if they weren't thinking / aware of what was happening, they might not have known she was living there. Wonder how she had her meals? With them, or by herself in the garage?

Carol - I keep praying for you, and the results of your tests. Take care, dear lady.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 1, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8401395

Good grief, Ann - 8 1/4 lbs???

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 2, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8401891

Beautiful bell Ann .. weighs more than my son did when he was born !! Sure hope you can find someone to ring it.

Carol, I would imagine the bone scan machines have come a long way re the 'noise factor' since the 80s .. like you, Lorna's Mum is now awaiting test results .. worst part of the whole procedure, hers is from a mammogram.

WINDY here .. and COLD (again) .. -29C .. the dogs were quick with their outside sniffies today, altho, Lilly still played 'her game'.

Am sending along GET WELL thoughts to Edmonton Ann (Annabelle) .. hope your knee feels better by the day ..

TTFN

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 2, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8401972

I ALMOST forgot !!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETTY !!!!! Thank you for being you ^_^

Enjoy your day

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 2, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8402372

Hi All
Been a bit and getting back some sea legs to sitting for a bit.

Welcome Shiva!
Happy B day Betty , party for at least a week.
Carol , sounds like they are being very through, will keep you in my thoughts, especially after the two liters of stuff you drink as I recall is many trips to the lou.
Ann you seem to be on the "tunnel is coming to an end" part of that reno.

Laurie cleaning for allergies is a tricky one at least they will know that you have done your best!

Blustry is the name of our -28 day here, snow coming down and blowing all over the place. Still the light is hear earlier and earlier so that makes the days better for me.

I agree that that "family" should be made to live in the same conditions the Mom had! I agree that getting to know your neighbors at least to have a short conversation may have prevented this type of abuse.
Bye for now
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 2, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8402541

Thank you for the birthday wishes..yikes, what a ride in this morning, think it was the most difficult ride yet this year..nothing like being on the road and not knowing where you are...wrote a long post this morning to you all and guess it's floating in cyberspace..either that or this aging another year made me think I pressed 'send' but didn't..lol

Sure hope it's a sunshine day for all of you.

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 2, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8403033

Happy Birthday Betty!

Well the Ct scan is complete. I think I peed about every 10 minutes , just made it home and still peeing! Good thing the scan is only a few minutes! I asked about the substance because I have had CT scans before but never had to drink. It is only when they are doing abdominal scans as it coats the lining of the stomach and intestines so they can see them better.

No w just wait to see oncologist in 2 weeks and hear results.

Ann that is a gorgeous bell!

Ann in Edmonton welcome back! ( I still have not planted the begonias!)

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 2, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8403178

Glad you're back, ole sea-legs Ann! ^_^

Carol - keep you in my prayers, daily - hope your trip to the oncologist doesn't make you pee LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 2, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8403198

Busy day ... glad it is DONE ..

Nice to hear from you Ann (Edmonton) .. can only imagine it's taking a bit of time to be able to bend at the knee to sit.

Happy BDay again Betty .. huge hugs as well .. and to Carol too !!! I take a diuretic .. and having to GO takes on a whole new meaning !!!

Car in to Toyota AGAIN tomorrow .. there is a tire pressure sensor that keeps coming on .. have had the car in FOUR times to see what is up .. really do like my Toyota .. but .. am now looking at a Kia Sportage or Sedona ..

Toodles

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 3, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8404396

Hiya ..

Have done ?something? to my left shoulder .. likely the rotator cuff .. no idea what it'd be .. sure is sore and tylenol is not helping, nor is heat or ice.
As I am NON sedentary .. it's a challenge ..

Off to the car dealership ZZZZZZzzzzzzzoooooooooooooooommmm >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 3, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8404408

Morning, cold out there but blue sky ..you can just feel we're getting to the end of the white stuff..famous last words right???

Had a wonderful day yesterday, day filled with call/good wishes, pressies from family/friends, of course they have me figured to a 't' as most contained $$$$ so I can spend it in Buffalo on the weekend..lol Nice supper with family so it was enjoyable.

Ann, was thinking about the weight of the bells, it would take some strength in the hand/wrist wouldn't it? Keep thinking of lifting a bag with 8 or 9 lbs. of butter to get the idea and wow heavy duty it is!

Ann (Edmonton) how is it going today, more manageable?

Carole, got a begonia plant yesterday from Cathy and her mom, have a few indoor planters that need a bit of color so this morning made room for it in the kitchen where I have a planter on a stool..looks pretty, now I need a few more vines..not a whole lot of light but does have some, think it will be ok...does it need a lot of water?

Ann gave me a card with a photo of a shrub/plant inside and said it would arrive early spring, just in time for planting, forgot the name, will check tonight and list it!

Plants, isn't it exciting to know we'll soon be gardening..

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8404604

Betty - yes that bell is a two-hander for most of us. Or it could be held up and one could fling the clapper with the other hand. Likely a bit easier than swinging it. We need a man in the bell choir.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 3, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8404665

You'll just have to con that hubby of yours Ann lol
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 3, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8404722

Begonias are shade plants- is this one of the ones with nice colored leaves?
I have a couple I bought just for the foliage.
I water them when the top half inch or more is dry.
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 3, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8404842

I just can't keep up with all your busy lives. Betty, belated Happy Birthday, have many many more. Ann in EDM, hope you heal quickly. I think I'll give Donna (PG) a call tonight and see how her sister is doing. This really gets her down. Growum, how is that little Charlie doing? and Shiva, welcome! it's nice to meet you. You have a lovely yard to develop. Somebody remember what growum and Shiva's names are, I know they told us. Mar, better take care of that shoulder, and maybe find out what it is?

Lots of talk about spring flooding here. Hope it doesn't get as bad as in 97 when we were evacuated. I know we just couldn't do all the packing etc., that we did that year.

~~~waving at all the rest of you~~~Hope I didn't forget anything important to you...
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 3, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8404918

Had another birthday on the second.The family will celebrate tomorrow.Some one must have read my mind .Red Roses, Red Roses. JOY

Thumbnail by agedgardener

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8404969

Happy belated birthday to Betty and Joy. Joy we are close enough I can almost smell the roses.
Charlie has been home for a few days, back to the hospital yesterday for pre-op for open heart surgery. Today they sat and waited for the operation for 4.5 hours and were just told they won't be doing it today it is now schelduled for Monday. Really hard on the parents I don't know how they are keeping sane with it all.
Cold and windy all day today, windchill of -20, the same for tonight then apparently warming up to rain on Monday...Laurie

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 3, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8405210

And you have all now left this to ME !!! LoL

Brenda (echoes) Shiva = Lisa and, growum =Laurie ^_^
Hope that Donna's sister is doing as well as she can.

Belated conrgats Joy .. beautiful roses !! Enjoy your celebration to the MAX ..

ViAnn ... just thinking about raising that bell (right now) brings tears to my eyes .. does that particular octave get played much ?

I BUY about 4 to 6 TUBEROUS Begonias each spring .. plant them and watch in awe as their colours explode .. just gorgeous ..

Betty .. SO HAPPY to hear your BDay celebrations were just that :-)

So .. LILLY and I went to the car dealership .. Piper stayed home with Lorna .. gave the dogs a break from one another ..
As expected she caused quite a stir .. and, as expected, she sucked it all up ^_^
After a 90 minute wait .. the technician came out with a small 'finishing nail' in his hand !! TWO years to find THAT !!
Anyway, as I have extended coverage I did not have to pay .. I left happy :-)

Laurie .. empathy PLUS for Charlies parents ... waiting is just the worst, BUT, at least they are THERE !

I always say something about the weather in Thunder Bay .. well .. MIXED bag sums it up .. flurries, sun, overcast, wind, basically DAMP ..

My shoulder is PITCHING A FIT !!! So .. going to go take a muscle relaxant .. grab me a bean bag and hit the pit ..

CHEERS

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8405358

Shiva = Lisa and, growum =Laurie

Repeat 5 times. Do you suppose I'll remember? I'll try!

I don't remember whether I wished Betty a happy birthday. I sure meant to, but if I didn't, I hope you keep on celebrating all year long.

As to that large bell, it depends on the piece of music. We have one piece in which it is a low pedal note all throughout, anchoring the piece. On the piece which we will play on Sunday, it's played only a few times. We'll be able to use it after dedicating it, but not overuse it. My group was excited tonight at practice and most all of them had a go at ringing the bell.

Oh yes, Betty, not a chance of conning DH to play in the bell choir. When we get back to our own church though, I'll be able to add a few other people when really needed. Trouble is that choir practice begins in a different location before bells are finished. We normally practice at 6 pm, but this year are starting at 6:15 because it takes longer to get to where we are camping out.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 4, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8406397

Morning all, dull out there, calling for rain, not just later today but all weekend..am sure it will clean a lot of dirty snow away and replace it with mud..

You probably would have about as much chance Ann as I would have had with my hubby.. guess your congregation is anxious..what a transformation!

Heading to Hamilton at 1:00 as a young lad who lived at my house, friend of my children's father passed on..as I'm already in Hamilton why not take a trip to Buffalo right?

How's the weather doing in your neck of the woods? Do you have anything special planned for the weekend..just think, another 2 or 3 weeks and all the snow should be gone..
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8407142

Oh Betty - doesn't that sound good - "another 2 or 3 weeks and all the snow will be gone".
Last year I planted spinach and lettuce in the greenhouse Feb 27th - I will be really glad if I can get anywhere near it in 2 or 3 weeks.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone...Laurie

Thumbnail by growum

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 4, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8407291

Marilyn - hope your shoulder heals soon...
Betty - glad you had a good b-day!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 5, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8407756

I'm chuckling here at Betty's comment re the snow being gone in a few WEEKS .. like Laurie .. the snow here is going to be around for at least another 6 weeks, at which time we will graduate to MUD!! Ugggg..

Thanks for 'shoulder wishes' Susan .. I am still dealing with quite a bit of discomfort .. especially when putting on a coat or jacket ... sleeping is something I need to do, but am finding it to be hard to accomplish. I am sure whatever is messin about in there will re locate soon !!!!

Off to make another cuppa ..

TTFN

~M~
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 5, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8407854

Wel, the family are celebrating my birthday tonight.I thought the party was last night so I got all gussied up and waited and waited.I call my son and he had gone out for a drink.Called everyone and got no answer on the phoneFinally my oldest called and I found out that I had the wrong night.I made a sandwich and went to bed early. I heard the girl on the weather report say that last year on march 22 the temperature in Halifax was 20C. If that happens this year we will have some serious flooding.Hope the shoulder is getting better. Every time I go to the DR. he finds something else to draw my blood or scan.Old age is for the pits.You girls are still so active.I can't even drive now..after having my own car for more that 50 years. The point I am making is have fun and do your travelling while you are young enough to enjoy it ooPS WRONG PICTURE JOY

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 5, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8407867

Here is the one I meant to post

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 5, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8407978

♫Happy ♪Birthday♫Joy♪!!!!!!!!!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 5, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8408020

Joy Have a super day and I hope to hear that your evening was warm and fun!
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 5, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8408023

Hey Ann - how are you?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 5, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8408037

Hi Susan
I'm finally starting to feel human and sleeping through the night.
Did my usually nasty response to the Anesthetic and scared the dickens out of my family, then had a bout of what was determined to be stomach flu! Have figured out how to not use the "good drugs" and will start physio on Monday. Can't drive yet so my good friend ,who finishes her radiation on Friday insisted on driving me. What a gem she is , says that I show her the way and so she wasn't scared when diagnosed cause if I could do it so could she. Will be off work till April 4th if I can stand that. Work did say they will come and get me and bring me home if the Doc says I can go.

Now I just have to be back walking and get going on starting my seeds! I know there are 3 cold months ahead but I figure that getting things going and then moving them into the green house ( I have the same one as Laurie) will mean I'm ready when the weather improves.
Bye for now
Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 5, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8408882

GREAT to hear you are doing 'OK' Ann .. physio will be tough, but you can do it ^_^
You have a wonderful friend there .. cherish her as she does you ..

Joy .. one day early just means you are really READY for the BDay celebration !! Enjoy ..

I put sheets on the line today .. B A D M O V E !!! My shoulder was NOT ready for THAT .. so .. have spent the rest of the day being GOOD.

Took some pics today ... am going to post ONE. Piper on the back of the love seat .. such a precious wee pup .. when he is SLEEPING ^_^

Watched a movie entitled 'Cinderella Man' this aft .. Russell Crowe and Rene Zelleweger .. great flick ..

TTFN

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8410169

Echoes is right...I can't keep up to you all! Belated Happy Birthday to Betty and Joy! Carol I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your results will be wonderful!

Thank you to everyone for thinking of my sister. She had her Gamma Knife on Thursday. I took the day off to be with her and her husband. The MRI showed only one spot which is good and the Gamma Knife only took 15 minutes and they think it went very well. She will have to go for a CT scan with the dye in about one month. Her last chemo was about 3 weeks ago and she can't continue on it since it made her so sick. She almost died because of her platelets being so low. It was so hard seeing her so skinny. She's lost all her muscle in her face and arms and shoulders. But since the chemo has been awhile she is getting back her appetite and is constantly eating. Now she is waiting for a second opinion since her chemo doctor basically has given up on her and doesn't think prescribing the Tarceva will help her. I hope the other doctor has good news.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 6, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8410406

Perennial Girl
Seeing your sister so ill must be very hard, I have two sisters and with all our bumps have not had such a big challenge! I am thinking of you both.
It is always wise to get another opinion which can be another option in the world of medicine.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 6, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8410792

Justdrpping in for a sec..hope you are all well...waving,can barelyholdmy head up for headache,think it's the weather causing it...or...could be the blizzard or icy roads and watching accident after accident or near misses all the way home from buffalo this morning...what normally takes 2 1/2 hours took 4 1/2

Will be Bach when I can focus
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8410860

We have had rain all day.The snow is melting and all the dirt and grunge is showing.We are expecting freezing rain this evening and then perhaps more snow.My Pristine snow cake has melted and is now a cupcake.

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8410865

And now the cupcake

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 6, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8411052

Perennial girl - I suppose I may have met you before, when I lived in Winnipeg?
Bad memory - cannot remember your name LOL

Had a great day today - my DH's birthday, and he wanted 2 cakes bought to take to church for coffee-time afterwards. They loved it!
Then off to go shopping at Rona & Lowes... siiiiiiiigh well, got some stuff we needed for reno's!
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 6, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8411167

Here is a list of Canadians by first name on DG, started a few years ago. I haven't kept up with it lately, so there are probably a lot more unsubscribed now.

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/echoes/10345/

There is also a link at the bottom to the Canadian subscribers from the system.

echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 6, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8411175

Susan, PG is Donna. She didn't live in the area we grew up in, and I met her on DG a few years ago. We have been getting together every summer for a few years. Did you meet her when you were here visiting last time?

When do you think you might be coming to WPG again? Lots of plants should be leaving my gardens this summer. You could take some home with you.

Ann, sounds like you are on the road to a good recovery, but what a rough ride. Take really good care of yourself. Just an interesting tidbit, Donna's sister's doctor is the same oncologist that I had many years ago.

Betty, hope you are feeling better soon.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 6, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8411179

No, I never got to meet any DG people when I was visitng in Winnipeg...
I have no idea when I'll be able to visit Winnipeg next - have the time, just not the $$ lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 7, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8411419

DAWG!!!!

We have gotten over 10cm of fluffy white snow .. and .. it is still coming down .. happily the temps are great .. just wish my shoulders were !!
Will be ferrying Lorna over to the property next door so she can do their driveways and then toodle on over here to do ours .. no way am I going to try and tame the 'bucking bronco' commonly called our snowblower.
Whenever Gord goes away .. we get a storm

Betty .. I hope your headache has let up .. sounds like you had a nasty ride home from Buffalo!!

Brenda, thanks for the 'list' .. will have to give it a boo ..

LoL, Joy .. our 'cupcake', is now an angelfood cake .. I'll have to take a pic.

Best get a move on .. I try to stretch and do some exercises before I go out to shovel .. not sure if it works or nit .. still just as sore ..

Toodles

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 7, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8411808

Morning all, nope, head still aching but I took first step to make appt. for eyes to be checked..appt. next Monday after work..then if it's not that off I go to have blood pressure checked.

Jeff sent me a review that Apple was giving people who purchased an ipad the last 2 weeks $100. back or I could return it for full credit this week and when the new one comes out in 2 or 3 weeks I could buy one..not sure I'll get the new one, bit high tech to me..

Sorry about your shoulders "M"..painful I'm sure.

loved the cupcake photo's..sunny here but bitter cold, sky is blue and sun is shinning..calling for warmer temps for end of week..I'm excited..

Donna, am glad the procedure went well for your sister and that you were able to be with her. Sending prayers that she starts gaining strength and develops an appetite ..she can have mine!!!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 7, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8412127

Donna
Hi were you at the Round up hosted in Victoria by Linda and Cheryl about 6 yrs ago? If so then I have met you as I was there too!
Betty get your headache looked after as the pain will drive you nuts! Have you tried the cold pack on the back of neck and forehead while having your hands in very warm water? I sit at the kitchen sink like that and it does give some relief if nothing else is working.
I saw a program on the I Pad and the updates for the #2 will benefit mostly gaming folks who need more power. Most of the folks I know who have the first one are very pleased with it.
Brenda thanks, I do know that Canada has first rate Cancer Care so knowing that her doctor has been around for a while would mean Donna's sister is being well looked after.

We are Sunny Edmonton today with clear blue skies and the sun bouncing off the snow into our homes, still really cold but you can't tell when you look out the window.
Bye for now.
Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 7, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8412224

Stuck some pics of the snow in a seperate thread ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1162785/

I gotta tell ya .. we have had way more than ENOUGH .. I won't be shovelling the patio/sidewalks anymore .. am going to have to use the small snowblower as the banks are getting pretty high.

Betty .. that headache has been around way too long. Are you on medication for your blood pressure?
Ann's idea re the ice pack is one we use in the hospital .. and .. R E S T !!!!

Wind is up, sun is blazing, AND, snow is again falling ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 7, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8412228

Ann, no haven't tried it but will..waiting for my eye test to see if perhaps that's the reason..

Am pleased with ipad, only problem I found is when I access DG, difficult to scroll down the entire thread..wish they had a 'bottom of the page' button, perhaps if more participants have ipad and we request that feature they may consider it.

Hope the sunshine is covering all our neighborhoods..as long as you are inside and it filters through not a problem, it's when you are outside that the wind nips you.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 7, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8412233

"M" enjoyed the photo's, much the same here and just when we started to see 'green grass'
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 7, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8412707

Betty on the scroll to the bottom , try the "skip to new" at the top of the page and it will take you directly to the first post that you have not yet read. Then you won't have scroll to the bottom.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 7, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8412797

Omg is there such a thing and where would I find it Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 7, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8412801

Oh happy days, it did work...you just made my day...subscriber for many years and do you know how often I wished for such a feature? Just had to come chat with you...tks
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 7, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8412906

Never mind Betty - I didnt notice it for years either. Just like I never noticed the find function in my email program when looking for a message from somebody - it was one of my computer illiterate ( in her own words) friends who taught me that one.

Really warmed up here today- about -8 when I took the dogs out at night.

Got the rest of my begonia tubers planted today. In the process managed to break one of the chains for lowering lights on my new indoor light garden so cannot lower the light at one end. Got to give that some thought re fixing.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 7, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8413039

Carole, thanks for making me feel better...and they say you can't teach old dogs new tricks..lol

Can you replace with new chain or get one of those links that you can put through both links and screw together?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 7, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8413064

Wait just a doggone minute... is the same feature on blackberrys? It seems when I turn mine on, it's way down at the bottom, and I take 2 min to scroll to the first un-read email!
Gonna have to look (and I'm not computer illiterate - just new-to-blackberrys! These things have more features/functions than I know about and I'm feeling less-than-pleased with mine... siiiiiigh)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 7, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8413242

Back in from shovelling session #5 for today, and the snow STILL continues to fall .. in fact .. I left the patio half done as I have NO way of making the snow fly from the shovel over the now 6' high banks!!
No doubt tomorrow morning the small snowblower will be in FULL service !!

Good luck ladies with your iPods/Blackberrys .. had use of a friends Blackberry for a weekend .. lasted MAYBE 2 hours .. with the injury to my right wrist/hand .. I am much better on a computer ...

Betty .. how's the headache ? Glad you liked the pics .. may add some tomorrow if I am still in one piece .. I keep hearing we will have Tuesday as a 'clean up day', before another hit on Wednesday ... OIE !!!!

Off to bed

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 8, 2011
3:38 AM

Post #8413803

Morning all, just too exciting to be able to press ..skip..lol
Sky is heavy this morning and they are not callings for much but tomorrow and Thursday calling for heavy rains and at times freezing rain, was going to take a drive after work tomorrow to pick up my $100 rebate from apple, have to go within 2 weeks and bring original invoice but think I'd be wise to wait until the weekend..no sense p urging myself in danger

Did you see the photos on the news of the snowfall in Quebec..yikes, not sure what equipment they have that will clear them out quickly...snowmobilers are helping them out

Time for coffee
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 8, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8414152

Betty
They build so many darned things into different websites I need my Daughter to show me around!

Carol I use the metal shower curtain hooks that are like big bobby pins and shaped like a pear. I think you can buy a bag at the dollar store. You can then lower or shorten the chain by hooking a higher link into it. If you need a photo I can take one of mine. I found that the darn chain they sometimes supply with the kits is not very good. I bought the chain we used to use for swing sets and use the shower hooks to add or change heights.
Very sunny here and bright, bright outside!
Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 8, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8414194

Yes Ann please send me a pic. I am sure I can also find a little connector- will check at Rona this morning as I have to go out for a doctors appt -need a prescription renewal, nothing serious!

My brother phoned this morning to say my SIL died Sunday evening. Actually I already knew as a cousin had emailed me to ask if I was going down. Im sure it is a relief for him that it is over. She did live about 6 months longer than expected but the past month has pretty much 'slept' all the time. I expect him to 'break out' now! He has been the primary care giver for her for almost 20 years now and although he never complained and I doubt ever regretted and they cruised all over the world I know it was not easy for him. Now he can do what he wants .

I am not going down nor does he expect me too. I will go down spring or summer and have a family visit and some garden and dog friends too!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 8, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8414606

Sorry to hear about your SIL Carole, long hard death, sometimes you just have to thank the Lord for taking them..

Ann, can't you tell how thrilled I am that you told me about that feature..omg..if you only knew ... lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 8, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8415596

Carol - Sorry to hear about her passing - I agree with Betty - 20 years was a long time and will be a relief for your brother. She's with the Lord and not suffering anymore.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 8, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8415628

SIL Marion had a degenerative neurological disease diagnosed ih 1980 which over the years deprived her initially of her speech and eventually affected most of her muscles so although mentally she was as sharp as ever her muscles were very weak and she spent the last 10 years using an electric cart- but until last year they still cruised at least twice a year! It was only last winter that the cancer showed up and by that time she was so medicaly fragile they would not operate, said anaesthesia would probably kill her.

I took my broken light chain to Rona this morning and in 5 minutes had just what I needed to attach the ends ( called bead chain connector in case you need one!) I knew what I was looking for but not where to find it but one of the store staff knew exactly what and where! Which is pretty good when you consider what must be in that store! I have not fixed it yet but it should be OK.

A trip to the doctor this morning to get an Actonel refill but she says oncologist may change me to a different drug so will wait until I see him next week. She also told me reason for drug (Arimedex) not chemo is drug is just as good if not better.

Warmed up here I think close to 0 today, supposed to be above freezing tomorrow!
Hope there is a bit of melt- have a group in the yard on Saturday for the hands on portion of a pruning workshop! Still a lot of snow under some of the trees. Nice to be able to walk the dogs comfortably.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 8, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8415639

It sure was sunny today! I'm taking Friday off, so I hope it's good weather too!
It's only -10c now, so hope it's a good evening ^_^

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 9, 2011
3:12 AM

Post #8415872

Morning all, not calling for the best weather today,mix of everytehing...storm nearing windsor now so likely by mid afternoon we'll get it..they are not quite sure what the weather will bring, mix of snow,rain,freezing rain! Fun fun fun

Heads pounding, going to put head down for a few minutes,be back to respond in a bit...can someone make the coffee?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 9, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8415933

Coffee is made Betty .. sure do not like the fact you are still dealing with that headache !

Condolences re Marion, Carol .. that's a long time to be that unwell .. lots of getting used to for your brother. My neighbour who lost her hubby after a 10 year illness is struggling right now. Her life was totally centered on him. She's finding it difficult to 'break out' and be her own person.

Grey day here .. apparently winter is going to give us ANOTHER 'last hurrah' .. I am NOT laughing !!!
Shoulders are not good ..

Take care all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 9, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8416118

Getting much the same here "M"

Not liking the headaches either, almost tempted to go to doctor or hospital today and get a shot, usually it puts me out for the day and then headache leaves..

what to do, what to do?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 9, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8416217

NO CONTEST Betty .. either doc or emerg or walk in and do it today ^_^

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 9, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8416349

Betty
Go and get rid of the headache!
Carol sorry to hear about your SIL, I wish your brother peace.

Photo of clip attached and it is open, kind of like a safety pin, I use them everywhere in the G House and with my lights.

Thumbnail by annabell52

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 9, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8416608

Thanks Ann- now I know what you mean- I use a lot of those for hanging indoor things on my plant poles!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 9, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8416614

that will certainly work, see you've become a Mrs. Fix-it..lol

OMG not sure about your neck of the woods but it's snowing to beat the dickens right now, let's hope it doesn't change to freezing rain!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 9, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8417000

Another pleasant day here. Went over to Garden Retreat to pick up a few trays and pots for the indoor light garden, have a lot of coleus seed I want to get started. Plugs should come in end of the month and once they are potted up the garden will certainly be full! In fact I might not have enough room - I have about 85 plugs coming!

Had my LH skirt taken in- finally I can wear it again! Also got my hair cut and reassured my hairdresser she wont have to shave my hair off again since I am not having chemo this time! She was quite relieved!

I also washed my LH blouse today but will let the costumer do the ironing - those leg of mutton sleeves are no fun to iron!

Some good curling at the Briar but I think I am almost 'curled out' as I get up and down instead of watching he whole game.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 10, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8417912

CROWS CROWS, and MORE crows !!!
They start their cawing before 7am .. and .. what a racket !!!! To me, that's one SURE sign spring is on its way despite the mounds of snow hanging about.
I put unshelled peanuts out for the Blue Jays each morning, and the Crows have decided the Blue Jays had best learn to share .. so .. now what we have is, a couple of Blue Jays with 'attitude' squawking at several Crows with MORE attitude than they can handle LoL
Makes for quite the choir !!

Sunny day here ..

Hope everyone enjoys their day

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 10, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8417934

trying to, Marilyn, trying to...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 10, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8418054

What a ride home last night, blizzard, rain, sleet and freezing rain..when I saw my drive I all but yelled 'yippee' lol

This morning, light rain, some melting but a few accidents due to people forgetting ice under the packed snow.

Stopped at Tim Hortons for coffee and the birdies were just a chirping, nice to hear..not so sure crows waking me up would be as relaxing...

APPLE are giving $100 rebate for ipad purchase in last 2 weeks, deadline today or tomorrow ..I won't give mine back to get the new one in a few weeks, know there are a few new features, but for this old gal I don't think I'd use them to their fullest potential, so might just take the $100.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 11, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8419707

WOW .. get up this morning, flip on the computer and am met by THE most horrifying pictures from Japan !
Good heavens .. poor people there .. what a situation to be in .. an 8.9 magnitude earthquake , PLUS a devastating Tsunami !! The footage is spell binding ..

My prayers go out to these poor people

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 11, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8419996

Prayers as well, let's hope those on the west coast both USA and Canada will be safe. What in the world are we doing to Mother Nature that has her in such a snit??

Left home this morning and it was raining heavily, got to Barrie and snowing like crazy..wow..just doesn't seem right.

Did go to Apple yesterday and got minus a few cents $150.00 back re ipad..was thrilled..

Happy Birthday Susan...hope your day if filled with pressies..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 11, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8420087

Thank you, Betty - no pressies here
it was a gorgeous day out yesterday, but turned COLD last night
I'd better get going on that Red Velvet Cake - only came on system to print up the recipe ^_^

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 11, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8420203

Day is not over Susan..perhaps hubby is saving best for last.

Snow is still falling but not as hard as it did earlier..want to go shopping after work but won't if weather doesn't cooperate!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 11, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8420382

no, no pressies. We can't afford it, just like we couldn't afford any for his birthday.
There's a party tonight at our community centre for all the March babies (another March baby, Bob & I organized it) and I'm baking a Red Velvet cake for it.
Bob's sick, so he's not going to be able to go... :-(
I got some Chicken In A Bucket from our grocery store for dinner tonight, then the party's at 7pm.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 11, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8420402

Well, dance up a storm and a pressie is all the renovations you've been doing..big bucks there..having family and friends around for birthdays is enough!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 11, 2011
12:11 PM

Post #8420484

dunno that we'll be doing any dancing lol
Gathering with friends, and sharing cake is great!
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2011
3:18 AM

Post #8421730

Was looking at Marilyn's snow pictures and posted this over there - removed this part but couldn't get the picture off.

Lots of rain in NB and the snow is going fast! You may be right Betty that the snow will be gone in a couple of weeks. Actually looks like I will be able to get into the greenhouse soon... now that makes me feel like spring is here.
My son and family left Ottawa last night so will be here sometime this afternoon, haven't seen them for a year so I am excited to say the least. I have next week off, they will be here till next Saturday. Son, DIL, granddaughter (17 years old) and her boyfriend, so I will have a housefull.
Charlie had his open heart surgery last Monday - he had a rocky couple of days after the surgery but they took him off the ventilator yesterday and he is breathing on his own - he had a small bottle last night and finished it all so is now eating on his own, today they take the pacemaker off then they hope to move him to regular care on Sunday. Poor little guy is 3 weeks old today and has already had surgery twice and more poking, prodding and tests that some people have in a life time. Tough little guy!
My birdseed seems to be disappearing fast - now I know why...Laurie

Thumbnail by growum

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 12, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8421828

Belated BDay wishes Susan ^_^ .. hope the cake and camaraderie were fine and dandy.

Laurie, the deer will eat black oil seed fast if they can get near it .. we have a feeder INSIDE the dogs compound, and one deer jumped the fence to get the seeds .. only did it once though after she realised she was kinda in between a raock and a hard place when I walked out the back door to scold her. Was just SO happy she was able to jump back OUT !!!

Poor wee Charlie .. seems he is the personification of a fighter .. he certainly has had MORE than his share of 'issues' in his young life.
Enjoy your son's visit .. sounds as though you'll be busy !!! Remember >>> M&Ms LoL

Started snowing here about 10 minutes ago .. looks like we'll be getting quite a bit ..
Gord is back, but teaching at a seminar today .. guess I'll have to see how I make out with the shovel.

Reading and watching CNN re Japan .. almost surreal !!!!

Off to grab a coffee

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 12, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8422095

Morning all, its not sure what it will do here today weather wise, had a few flakes of snow, drops of rain so it's a wait and see kind of day!

Poor Charlie, he is a fighter for sure, can't imagine what the parents are going through..now you enjoy your company, I should have gone along with them lol. Could be maid service while you all get caught up, no, that's not the best of ideas seeing I can't cook! Lol

Ohhh. Look at the wildlife, hard to believe we've deer walking the area as well, guess they are in need of food.

Had great plans for the weekend but seems couch is fitting the bill..between hacking with bad cold and headache I just dont feel like getting into a project...washing the upstairs floors has all but taken the wind out of me...have a friend coming over shortly,looking forward to Tim hortons coffee she is bringing over..imagine, I still have her christmas gift...lol...she's been away or I have...one less Christmas bag sitting in a corner

Soooo sad about japan, and if all they've been through wasn't enough now the reactors are acting up

Enjoy your day everyone...hope you've sunshine in your neck of the woods!

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 12, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8422135

Laurie, wee Charlie sounds like he is on the mend and a fighter.
Susan Happy B day late, hope you enjoyed your evening and that Bob is feeling better by now.

Lots of birdies at my feeder and none with 4 feet that clean it up in a lick.

Japan is in for a tough time for sure. My friend is in New Zealand ( can't spell) and finally got a message they are ok.
I couldn't believe all the dingbats on the beach in the states waiting for the "wave" , one guy even was swept out to sea, no kidding!

We have some sun doing it's best to peek through the greyish sky so with the reflection off the snow it's very bright out there. Temp is warmer but now we have a wind to deal with. Oh well it really isn't a big deal.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 12, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8422183

Ann, watched the news as well and couldn't believe how many were out to watch it arrive, crazy people! Sun is trying to come out...must go to town in the morning and get bird seed...unlike you though, I've been watching squirrels having a time of their life, guess they know spring is around the corner!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 12, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8422917

Hope you feel better Betty ... sure do worry re that continuous headache though ..

The snow amounted to ONE shoveling .. quite enough thanks ^_^

I am THRILLED to announce, that it seems as though Piper is becoming more used to accepting the leash!
Had a neighbour up the road stop as she noticed me literally FLYING down the driveway a Westie on a leash in each hand LoL .. she said all I needed was a sleigh LoL
It's kind of a heart in the mouth task walking the 2 dogs together, and, I can see I am going to likely have to purchase some leather gloves in order to grab both leads if need be (if a car is approaching) my dollar stored fuzzies just don't cut it !!

I 'TRY' not to look at/read the articles re Japan, but, find myself drawn to them .. I feel so fortunate to live in Canada.
SAY .. did any of our WEST coast DGers hear or see anything re a tidal wave ?

Had burgers for supper .. I am FULL !!! Sitting here by the woodstove I am starting to get pretty drowsy, but, will go out and play ball with the pups before I call it a night ..

Hope all are well ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 13, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8423709

Morning all,
Woke up to a winter wonderland, sooo pretty, guess in find it beautiful because I don't have to drive in it today..

There was a black van parked in front of the house, lorry, saw a man come toasted to house, sooo early, was tempted not to open the door but did..

Some of you may remember after roger's death I remarried and it was for a short time, well it was a man delivering paper for divorce!

Good morning to me!

Listening to the news 'm' and you can't get away from what is happening in Japan...so tragic...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 13, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8423751

Holy Cow Betty!! What a way to start your day !!
I have this rule .. I NEVER open the door, to an unknown man, unless it's Purolator, Fedex or UPS, otherwise .. talk to me through the door ..

Sunny here .. going to start pushing up into the PLUSES this coming week ^_^

This nuclear power plant in Japan ought to give everyone a HUGE wake up call .. mother nature could care less how many safeguards are in place .. when she shakes .. you break !!

Enjoy your Sunday :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 13, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8423805

That she does "m"... Problem is their specialists cannot even be sure of the impact of what's going on will have on the world...it's now in the air!

Some mornings are better than others for sure, not sure how I'm feeling as it's been almost 6 years ago now...think he's back with wife #1 so wouldn't imagine she likes the fact I still carry the name...seems I closed the chapter and book but now it's time to put it away!

I'll sign tomorrow and sent it off..just took me by surprise...back t o watching Joel olsteen ministry broadcast

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 14, 2011
4:09 AM

Post #8425638

Sure is DARK out now at 7am .. pay off for later evenings ..

What a gorgeous day here yesterday .. was able to get the dogs out for 2 walks, Lorna even pushed her walker through the snow and took advantage of the sun and warmer temps ..

Spent a bit of time reading about the Japanese disaster .. so very devastating, and, it seems, worsening by the day in regards to the nuclear aspect.

Appts abound this week .. back to reality .. bummer

Enjoy your week

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 14, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8426011

Bright sunshine today, chilly but just seeing the sun makes you smile..think the rest of the week will be much the same...oh happy days!

Feeling much better today, think my cold is all but over so perhaps headaches were caused by sinus issues..have my appt. for eyes after work tonight so am sure with new glasses as well I'll be able to get through the day without holding my head.

The numbers they say have lost their lives and not all accounted for is just overwhelming..how do they even survive..am sure if they do have an insurance for such disasters the insurance company could not affort to cover all. If that wasn't bad enough, now waiting for the 3rd nuclear plant to blow...lordy..I'm staying in the land of snow, worse that happens is we stay inside for a day or two..

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 14, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8426562

Very good time to count our Blessings! I did see that a 60 yr old man who was swept out to see at the time of the Tsnami was rescued 15kms from shore. The photo showed him sitting on debris with a skinny pole and small flag on top, I guess that was to wave to attract attention. I also saw an older person who had been trapped in their car since the Tsnami rescued. Some folks on a roof noticed him moving through a side window and alerted others for the rescue. Boy people can be resilient!
It will be above 0 today, wow I am looking forward to maybe going out and standing in the sun for a few minutes.
Still have not been given the ok to drive but Physio says maybe in a few weeks. Have been given the greenlight to return to work starting 1/2 time as of the 23rd. Work will pick me up, there is another good thing.

Some seeds are sewn and my Banana Canna seeds are sprouting so I'd better get them into some soil.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 14, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8426589

Aren't we all in awe at watching how individuals as weak as they are survive...can you imagine families who all lived in the same town, wiped out, no survivors..mind boggling, just cannot comprehend it!

That is good news about returning to work early as long as you are feeling up to it and not rushing things...

My amarylis has 2 long leaves but someone told me it starts with a stem and therefore no flowers this year..not sure if that's the case.

Although cold the sun is shinning here, should have gone walking for an hour rather than eat until I'm uncomfortable..lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 14, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8427143

Thank you, Ann and Marilyn for the birthday wishes - had a good evening on Friday.

Wow, Betty - wonderful way to start your day, with Papers! lol

Open House didn't happen on Sunday - it's Next Sunday... well, gives us time to do more to our home... siiiiiiiigh
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 14, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8427182

A couple of pictures of on of my many recycled Amaryllis This one is just starting.

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 14, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8427188

This one is farther along.I guess I was didn't fertilize it enough.I'. only going to get two flower.The leaves do come before the flowering stem on most of mine.JOY

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 15, 2011
4:19 AM

Post #8427863

Morning all, calling for sunshine today then the rain moves in for 3 or 4 days, guess that will all but say goodbye to winter!

Susan, did you think the open house was this weekend or did they change the date..oh well, you can rest now as most of the work has already been done!

Love your amaryllis , mine isn't quite as tall as yours and I'm glad that you think mine might flower, lordy it wasnbeautiful last year...that 2 nd photo gives me an idea what I should look forward to...Dianne who gave me the amaryllis last year gave me 2 boxed blue dish containers start up kits for chrismas this year, started them a few weeks ago,the one with the tulips are doing zilch, yet the one with the bulbs for darts can't remember the name, thought the photo had the name on it, not iris but has wee blue flowers ? Is doing fine, probably about 4" out of the pot..

Do you think I should now keep the amaryllis near light and water or does it like to be dry?

Better get ready to leave, gab in a bit

This message was edited Mar 15, 2011 6:22 AM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8427874

Since Lorna is now MY chauffeur (simply more room for her in the drivers seat), I get to oggle things that is the past have whizzed by.
We were stopped at a red light and I happened to look into the picture window of the house on the street corner, and, WOW, a most gorgeous Amaryllis is full splendor. Burgundy with yellow accent. I only saw the one flower. Beautiful.

Susan .. I have a feeling your home will soon be a memory .. it's 'That time of year' now, when folks are looking to buy. Most especially young couples marrying in the summer.
Glad your bday was fun.

Annabelle .. hope you got outside. And good for you re your recovery time !!
We sat out yesterday, all of us, including the cat!! It was +7C here and just balmy in that sun. I have the beginnings of a tan on my face ... love it.

Lorna has her hematologist appt this morning at the cancer clinic .. here's hoping we can get PARKING !!

Sure is dark out :-(

Take care all .. anyone making any special preps for St Paddy's Day tomorrow? Seeing as I was born in Belfast, I guess I should make the effort LoL

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 15, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8428217

That you should "m" ..nothing like a jig to get the adrenaline going..
Don't you think at this time of year we are so anxious to be outdoors playing in the soil that we are purchasing indoor plants to make us feel better...look at you, a chauffure, lucky you! I'm planning a 5 day road trip to Nashville and Memphis for long weekend in may and know I'll be doing most of the driving, can I borrow your chauffeur?
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8428420

We are having the most amazing weather here, sunny and warm, the best weather we have had since Novemeber I think. Company has arrived - nice to have all these people here and lots getting done in my house - I now have new bathroom sink and, new bathroom fan, new outside lights and the old broken dishwasher is out and waiting for me to buy a new one.
Everyone has gone visiting today so enjoying the quiet here a bit now. I am going to go and play in the greenhouse for awhile this afternoon - can't believe the snow has gone enough that i can get in there now. I have a garden bed in the floor so will get my lettuce and spinach planted in there today.
So far having a wonderful vacation! Huge lobster boil last night and scallops today - what could be better!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8428506

Just back from my appointment with oncologist - all tests look OK! Big relief that the bone scan is fine! He does see a nodule in my thyroid and will do an ultrasound but says it is not uncommon and is not particularly concerned. Talking about future risks of course since it has now metastisized once it will most likely do so again but no way to predict re-occurence. Drug I am taking will control most cancer cells but not all .

So just carry on! See him again in 2 months- he says he keeps fairly close watch on this type of case for a while. .

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 15, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8428544

Carole, that's great news, not the fact that you may have reoccurrence but that all is well today! All any of us can pray for isn't it...sending you big hugs in celebration of this news..

Wow, Growun, you can send your company my way...wonderful to get so much accomplished and to think you are able to get into your greenhouse..lucky lady for sure...talk about eats, you'll have to go on a diet once they leave...sun is strong here but it's cold, not time to get the spring coats ..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8428790

YUM YUM !!!! Lobster and Scallops .. ENVY here ^_^
I bought some Cod today .. and as the server was putting it in the bag, I was looking at the Lobsters in the tank .. she just laughed at me when I kinda 'shivered' re cooking them .. she said .."just be careful of the claws when the bands come off" ... I told her that SOMEONE else would have to cook it for me .. couldn't do it LoL
The renos sure sound nice too .. general fix ups make everyone happy I think.

Carol .. wonderful news ... you must feel better ..

Hope you have a great trip Betty .. maybe you'll see ELVIS ...
Would gladly lend you Lorna, but I'm enjoying 'rubber necking' !

Should go and get supper out ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 15, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8429166

yaaaaaay Carol - great news, you must be so relieved. I'm really really pleased he's keeping a close eye on you - just means nothing will slip by and he will take good care of you ^_^

Betty - the Open House was supposed to be the 13th, but he called at 8:30 on the 12th to say "let's postpone it until the 20th". I had a "chat" with him last night telling him how stressed he's making me - mortgages go from 35 yr to 30 yr as of the 18th, so I'm going to miss out on that.

Marilyn - no, most of the work hadn't been done at that point, but we could have cleared it out in time. I've finished painting the bedroom now, and painted our bathroom door to match (it was a chocolate brown, now it's tan). a friend came by today and dry-fit some baseboard in the bedroom. I'm going to re-make our den into a bedroom (albeit with 2 computer desks) and take all my sewing stuff to put it in the bedroom closet and sheds. In fact, a lot of stuff has to go into the shed... We have a spare CPU to find a home for - just a lot of "stuff" to get rid of. And of course - tools from all the stuff we're doing, for renovations - including the bathroom floor tile. What a mess!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8429369

Carol
GREAT NEWS!!
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 15, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8429444

Ann, how are You doing?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 16, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8430218

Susan
Thanks
Moving along with getting around just residual ache from the drilling into two bones stuff but mostly good. Hope to get back to work next Wed 1/2 time. Doing Physio twice a week and doing my homework at home.
Sorry to hear the Open house was put off, delay and waiting can be very stressful.

Got some seeds sewn and started my Canna's so looking forward to see their heads pop out.
Lights will be put to use soon as heads pop out and then spring can't be far behind, right!
It's a gray day today so yuch.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 16, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8430398

Ann, hope your job doesn't involve a lot of physical movement? Originally when I put my bulbs in the containers that they came in it said dark cold location..two containers have growth so maybe it's time to move them wo warmer climate?

Susan, not good that finances will be affected by his changing the open house date. Is he the realtor you had right from the get go?

"M" trip isn't until May, I'm just getting antsy, hear the girls in the south are having weather in the 70's, if I can't get it here I'll go in search of it..lol

Has bad news last night, Ann came over to play t.v. bingo just to get out and be with someone, Mike, she and the girls were told he has about 3 months, a month taken either way..you could tell she had been crying all day...lordy, what can you say??? guess you just got to listen

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 16, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8430971

Betty .. LISTENING, is absolutely the BEST thing you can do ..

Ann (Edmonton) glad you are doing OK .. has to be tough .. hope your work is kinda sedentary ..

Got MORE sun here today .. will take a pic of the yards to show how much things have changed !!!!

Off I go

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 16, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8431014

Betty, Listening is the best, shows you care! Will be tough on the Family good that you can be there for her. Time to count your blessings.

Job can be sit- still if they let me, which they will, they will even come and get me as I can't drive yet. It's a great place to work!
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 16, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8431031

So nice sitting here at the window waiting for Greg my son to come for supper to see the area children with roller blades on playing road hockey...see their coats cast aside on the shoulder of the road, am sure some will be sick tomorrow with cods...moms probably think they are all bundled up playing outside...sure sign of spring when all the kids come out to play!

Walked the back yard, snow is melting but it's still covered in white, few areas that I see soil I see the odd leaf of green, excited about that!

Ann, not many companies have the respect for employees, you are one of the lucky ones! Glad you can sit..perhaps you should have gone back ad worked half days for awhile

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 16, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8431154

Betty - when the time comes for me, I hope I have good friends like you to listen to me.. You're a jewel with no hidden qualities - you're open, friendly, and helpful. You're a true glowing jewel who doesn't "hide her light under a bushel where it won't do any good" ^_^
yes Betty - we've had this sales agent since May last year. When I was out of work of course I took it off the market and put it back on in January - not a great month for sales.

Ann - Glad your company is so good to you. How far are you from work that they pick you up and drop you off? I suspect they'd do the same for me, but I'm only 10 min drive from work LOL
Yes, waiting is stressful, but I've "handed off" my worry - Worry doesn't help, and fretting is just another word for "worry" lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 16, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8431182

Susan, you've made me cry!

Imagine, 7:45 and it is stii light out. Greg was here for supper, I'm going on and on about spring coming and the thaw and he's crying the blues, wanted another few weeks for snowmobiling...mother nature just can't win!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 16, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8431273

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 17, 2011
4:25 AM

Post #8431892

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone !!!!

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 17, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8432135

Beautiful day in my neck of the woods, calling for between 10-12 today and if that wasn't enough to put a smile on my face boss called and told me to leave at 1:00 tomorrow, treat...told him it wasn't fair that I be the only one leaving on a Friday that has nice weather and he told me he was the BOSS!!! sooo looking forward to it.

I'm wearing my green!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 18, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8433983

What a crummy couple of days here.
Yesterday we had rain to the point where we had to hook up the sump pump outside, or, be enveloped by 'Lake Stephenson' LoL worked like a charm ..
Snow off and on today .. NOT lots, but, it IS a full moon tonight, and the weather usually changes following a full moon, so, we'll see what happens.

A colleague and her family were out on Wednesday, while out 'something' in their kitchen went awry and a fire started .. luckily a neighbour noticed the smoke and called 911, then rescued the cat and dog .. extensive damage to the kitchen and smoke and soot throughout the house .. I told he to be thankful it hadn't happened at night when they were all asleep !!

Bought a 'gizmo' yesterday that will allow me to walk the 2 dogs on one lead, gonna give it a whirl in a few minutes. Better work as it was pricey !!!!

TGIF!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 18, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8434089

Was sunny earlier this morning "M" but it's clouding over..Boss called me yesterday morning and told me to leave at 1:00pm instead of our 3:00 pm early off Friday, said he should have taken me out for my birthday so his way of saying Happy Birthday..I'd rather have the time off like he's doing...lol

Called Walmart, had hoped my glasses would be in but didn't so have to do with these old ones..can't wait to see better..

Could not believe after thunder and rain/wind last night that almost ALL the snow is gone..walked the gardens and it's so depressing, looks terrible..so much limb/leaves laying there, think that will be my goal, play out in the yard this weekend if the weather stays as weatherman has predicted.

See that Canadian Tire has bikes on sale, might drop in on my way home and who knows maybe one will strike my fancy! Need to get fit..also bought pure honey this morning, now I have to get cinnamon and I'm going to try the recipe a dg member gave me for clensing out my body and losing mass vs. weight..you can always tell spring is here when we all want to look our best..lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8434391

Just woke up 1/2 hr ago, and thought I'd pop in for a moment to see what my friends are doing!
I've got the day off so going to de-clutter and get place ready for Open House on Sunday!

Hope everyone has a fantabulous day!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 18, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8434682

Sure wishing you luck Susan with the open house, doesn't sound like much of a day off...likely you've worked harder than at work! Lol

Looks bright and the sun has been out but let me tell you it's a cold day out there...got a bike and took a ride, didn't take me long to see I wasn't dressed for it!

Suzanne and Lenny asked if I wanted to go out for fish and chips and a movie in orillia tonight but I decided that if I vacuum,wash the floor, have my bath and get into my mighty I'll enjoy it much more...sure sign of getting old!
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8434991

Sad night in NB tonight - my company is gone - heading back to Ottawa. Can't believe how fast a week went. It sure was great to have everyone. Sometimes wish I lived a little closer but... that is not going to happen for awhile. Got lots done here - the best thing is a new dishwasher installed, the old one bit the dust a long time ago and I hate doing the dishes, nice to have a brand new one.
So Saturday and Sunday to get my head back together and then back to work Monday morning.
Have been watching CNN almost non stop - horrifying what is going on in Japan. My heart certainly goes out to those people. An earthquake wasn;t bad enough they had to have the tsunami and now a nuclear crisis. Even talk of a volcano threatening to erupt.

Just looking at the moon coming up - it looks big tonight and supposed to be even bigger tomorrow night. Very pretty.
Have a good weekend everyone!...Laurie

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 18, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8435194

Wonderful that you had such a good time during their visit...not fond of dishes myself, I could do without a lot of things but a dishwahe isn't one of them...I rarely have to put it on mor Ghana twice a week. I would imagine it will take a few days getting used to being alone, sometimes the quiet can be deafening. Are you thinking of moving when you finish working? Just looked outside, dark sky, no signs of a moon here, enjoy yours for me won't you

Must be a night fir movies, Kyle and Greg called to see if I wanted to join them to go see comedy"Paul" but I'm just too comfy, should really have said yes I guess!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 18, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8435237

I see we're all in 'flux' .. Laurie .. feel bad for your loss of company, and dearly hope you can (will) re group this weekend. Sure sets the heart to longing.
TREMENDOUS wooo hoos' re the new dishwasher .. I re did my kitchen a couple of years back .. my d/w had been DEAD for some time .. the new one is great, albeit a portable .. the outlay of the kitchen does not lend itself to a plumbed in d/w OR fridge .. I can deal with that.

Watched 2 wonderful movies today .. 'A Thousand Acres' .. with Michelle Pfieffer and Jessica Lange .. GREAT flick .. and .. 'The Town' .. with Ben Affleck .. also a good watch ..
A 'two movie day' would suggest we had crummy weather .. we did .. windy (from the NW) and scattered flurries ... we did get out for a walk .. and I am taking back the '2 dog coupler' I purchased at PetSmart .. cryminee .. the dogs are side by each and pulling one another unmercifully !!!! This one is TOO SMALL ... live and learn ..

Off to bed soon .. bits and bats of this'n that to accomplish over the weekend ...

TTFN ^_^

~M~

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 7:36 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8435639

ah - "day off" LOL Got on the computer, and decided to check work email - ooooooops, I forgot to do something on Thursday - book a flight for someone going to Edmonton on Tuesday! Waiting until Monday would mean higher $$ for flight, and couldn't get my "cover" to book it, cuz that would mean giving her all the cc information on my boss (not a good idea!), so I went in for 1/2 hr to book the flight and chat with the lady I'm booking for... well, 2 hours later, I'm JUST leaving LOL
I had a couple of other "fires" to put out, so I stayed an extra 5 min to help someone else.
THEN I went to the church to water the plants, and change-out the banners to Lenten ones.
THEN I went shopping for 3 items. That's all I got from the grocery store lol
THEN I came home and swept the deck and our parking stalls, and cut back the dead plants in our front garden
THEN I sorta washed the worst of the grunge off my car (it may ice up, but will thaw by tomorrow afternoon)
THEN I prettied up my bedroom for the Open House and took pictures
THEN I prettied up my bathroom for the Open House and took pictures
NOW I'm working on de-cluttering my den to make it look more like a 2nd bedroom
AND I'm working on the church newsletter
LOL
c'mon peeps - any suggestion on what else I can do? LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8435940

Susan, was just about to say that the sun is rising, cold day but if I dress well and start a fire for burning could get some of the outside cleaning done but now I think I'll get another coffee and sit and rest...you've tire me out. Lol

Now that was quite a day...so hoping by the time the weekend has ended you'll have a sale contract signed and off to new for a new home. Guess you have to entertain yourself during open house, that's the worse, what do you do fir the day? Photo's please!

"m". I've put those 2 movies on my watch list..as for the doggies could you not take them on shorter walks and take one at a time so you don't get caught up in their leash and get hurt?

Well, was lazy yesterday afternoon so I best get some old clothes on and put in a few hours outside..won't overdo...if I put in a few later this aft and same to or row I could accomplish much.
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8436331

This is what is in my yard today. Hurray!

Thumbnail by growum

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8436380

Oh a robin, spring has arrived...just in for a break..need to warm up, back is aching a bit so I'll have lunch and decide if I'm up to another go at the outside..did some burning but have loads more to do...guess still a lot of time no sense rushing!

Did do a walk around and checked each garden carefully, think I've even lucky this year as it doesn't look as thought I've lost any shrub or tree..see a few spots I could plant a few more so will be on the lookout for something different.

Hot chocolate is calling

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8436662

ROBINS ^_^
My favourite bird .. haven't seen one as of yet, but I think I may have heard one last week.

Sluggish day .. went for a walk for an hour, lucky dogs came home, each had a big drink of water and are tucked into their beds in front of the woodstove fast asleep .. I had laundry to fold and some other chores to accomplish.

I see on CNN that Canada/US/UK/France are all ready to take on Libya .. NOT good ... but .. I guess we can't sit back and let Gaddafi do as he pleases. He certainly seems tenacious !!!!

Hope I can keep me peepers open so we can watch a movie tonight .. I rent them 5 to 7 at a go fro a week .. enjoy it now as come full fledged SPRING/SUMMER .. we are hardly ever even IN the house ..

Best get on with supper

Toodles

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8436803

Well here is what I spent most of the day doing!

This is 2007 Honda Civic XE. It will take me days to figure out all the bells and whistles! A ex neighbor kindly provided the transport, support and advice, we started out at 10 this morning and at 4 this afternoon I drove home with the new car!
At least it is not grey so I have a hope of finding it in parking lots!

Supposed to have a big storm arriving soon but so far it has been a really nice sunny day, maybe the snow will pass us by!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 19, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8436808

siiiiiiiiigh - never rains but it pours...
My DH had asked me to check the hot tub, cuz a breaker had tripped when it was cold, and he wasn't able to get to work for 1 1/2 hrs until his car warmed up, but he never checked the hot tub and got it running again. This was during a major cold spell 1 1/2 weeks ago.
Well, I forgot to check it yesterday, but he checked it today.
Guess what? It's got 4" of solid ice on the top (maybe more). This happened long before he asked me to check it, so It's Not My Fault LOL We turned the tub on, but then I called a Hot Tub service company and they said "Don't turn it on, put a portable heater next to the motor and turn the heater on". They said one or more of the pipes could have burst... and we should call them when the tub has water instead of ice, or tonight if we need to. My DH said nothing's burst.
We have an Open House tomorrow and it won't be all water by then - maybe 2 to 3 days before it is... arrrrrrrrrrrgh! It's one of the selling features of the place - don't know what we could say about it... Would bring down the asking price by $3-4k at least.
The Hot Tub company said we could call them when it's water, to come out and see if anything's wrong...
My DH should have turned the hot tub back on, but he was afraid the breaker would trip again... it's getting pretty weak. We have a "Spa Buddy" but can't find anyone to install it, cuz the electricians here are pretty busy. We've had it for about 6 months!! If it had been installed, the breaker wouldn't have tripped and the tub wouldn't have iced up.

siiiiiiiiigh The Lord's Will Be Done...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 19, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8436811

congrats on the new car, Carol!! How awesome is that?!?!?!

I hope the snow DOES pass us by lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8436818

"M" got Netflix for $8.00 a month unlimited viewing...movies and t.v.
Series...got it so I can watch on iPad but Kyle hooked me up so I get them on t.v. Much cheaper and easier than rentals...mine goes through the wii but I am sure that not everyone has wii units so must be hook up capabilities...know I really enjoy it and as new movies come out they are on the program.

Came in after picking up and burning tree limbs/branches smelling like a b.b.q.'d betty so had a bath, hot chocolate and now I'm ready for bed..well almost

Really deceiving, sun is so bright but cold especially in the wind..other than raking tomorrow I should have the spent flower stocks and rest of debris cleaned up...won't take the leaves from the beds as I'm sure we are in for snow yet!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8436832

Nice wheels Carol , she's a beauty..now that's some going, leave in the a.m. And home mid morning all plated and insured...guess you'll be out for a Sunday drive tomorrow? Like the color, was never fond of grey as it always looks dirty..

Susan, darts and more darts..you didn't need this did you...as for telling those interested in purchasing you home just mention it's been a hard winter and the hot tub will be up and running by the time they move in. Or. Keep the cover on it..lol. Guess you dont want to mention the breaker problems!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8436834

Carol nice new car! I'm sure the dogs will like this one too.
Susan just keep thinking Open House means House sold and keep saying that till it happens.

Lots of stuff from Japan and DGer ,Tomtom from Osaka (family and Tomtom) are ok as they are south of Toyko just very sad for folks that are closer. Tomtom always has excellent design in containers on that forum.

Didn't know there was to be snow today but we have light gray skies today so maybe. Very large moon last night and I think tonight is the big one so keep your eyes open.
Seeds are germinating so I've got the lights going and I hope I'm not too late they had sprouted and I wasn't paying attention, darn.
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 19, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8436974

I think I'll tell our agent not to open the hot tub LOL
If only we'd been able to find an electrician months ago! The Spa Buddy is its own breaker, and it would have been fine to run the tub using it! Ah well...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8437792

http://www.care2.com/send/pickup/107/852/900/109/674/976

:-)

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8437815

Love the Honda Carol .. very reliable car .. enjoy. I hear ya on the 'SILVER' colour, my Toyota is silver and it's a hard find in a filled parking lot if you didn't pay attention to where you parked.
I'm still SUV shopping, guess I should be less picky !

Susan .. I wish you all the best with the open house ..

Light snow here .. all the gardens except south facing are still under snow .. and the south facing ones are a tad difficult to access withought first going through a bit of snow .. and .. since all I;d be doing was looking at my ages ols 'Rosa Rogosa', I'll keep out.

Shoulders are still keeping me up at night .. but .. last night that was a good thing as I was able to see the FULL MOON in all of it's LARGESS splendor .. just mesmerizing .. the beauty of nature, never fails to awe me.

Take care all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 20, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8437818

Thank you for the card "m" completely slipped my mind that we are now in spring...doing the happy dance.

Glad TomTom and her family are safe..mind boggling how some can endure so much

Heavy frost last night, brrr bitter cold outside..unless it warms up later it will be an inside day. I've managed to get downstairs clean so not much to do except relax and play.

Hope you all have a sunshine day!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 20, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8437829

Have you been seeing the doctor re your shoulders "M"?

Weatherman was saying moon was at it's best last night...shouldn't have gone to bed so early.

Sitting here typing, Riley is back to hunting all night and just came in when I let the other furries out...so funny, she's snoring more loudly than a human...lol. Makes me want to curl up right next to her

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 20, 2011
9:09 PM

Post #8439696

Only one couple came to the Open House, looking for a place for their daughter and they live in the area...
They didn't put an offer in, so I suppose they're not that interested...

I took some updated pics of our place (painted bedroom, and tiled floor of bathroom) so hopefully that helps on the company website.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 21, 2011
3:37 AM

Post #8439885

Morning...

Oh Susan, how disappointing for you after all the work you put into your home for the open house! Still early in the season...will they do another open house? On the bright side, look how pretty it looks for you and Bob!

Bit disappointing here as well, some of that white stuff is falling.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 21, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8440000

Snow fall yesterday MELTED last evening, and we are now looking at icy roads/sidewalks etc ..
First day back to school after the March Break .. can hear the school buses travelling along the main road .. has been nice without that for a week.

Susan .. having gone through the 'open house' phenomenon myself MANY years ago, I have nothing but empathy for you. I would clean, BAKE, re arrange, shuffle, yadda yadda .. all for ONE couple .. went through that for almost 6 months, EVERY weekend .. then POOF .. a young couple marrying in June (the showing was in March) put in an offer and we were off to the races. Your day will come.

Betty, I haven't gone to see about my shoulders as I feel there is little to be done .. If I could become 'QUEEN FOR A WEEK', and not have to lift, push or pull anything I might see some relief, but, that is NOT going to happen LoL. So, Tylenol will become my 'snack of choice' every so often .. here's hoping my liver can tolerate it.

Off to SEARS (I know, I know .. swore I wouldn't go there again) .. I purchased a childs leatherette toy box online .. it;s to go under a large window in the kitchen, I wanted a Deacon's Bench, but was unwilling to pay $300+ for a stoop for the animals to jump up on to look out the window, AND, a storage bin for me .. I am hoping this will work well ..

Enjoy this week !!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 21, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8440205

Sounds like the perfect piece of furniture for the window..I made myself a bench that is the length of the front window just so the kitties could sit and watch the birdies/squirrels! Making it cost me about $15.00 then DIL wanted one, didn't have to heart to charge her so think all and all it was a $45.00 expenditure.

Don't you be taking too many of those drugs..I hereby crown you "Queen for the Week"...off you go, feet up and enjoy!

We had a bit of everything, ice at home on the roads, the slush, and now it's snowing and blowing..50mph winds expected...

On the good side though, had a client come in to say we'll have 5 weekends in July, said it happens about once every 129 years or so...soooo we've that to look forward to.
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8441077

Hurray for 5 weekends in July!!
Back to work this morning after a week of holidays - didn't feel much like going but when I got there found out I had won a $100 gift certificate from Future Shop. Certainly pays to take part in all these campaigns/contests they put on for the staff. Almost made going back to work worthwhile ... almost.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 21, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8441326

Congratulations...$100, now let's see? Do you have the flyer out? Any ideas? Now that is a way to start a Monday morning...I'm sur your familyis missing you aou as much as you ar missing them..hoe long before you see them again...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 21, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8441372

WOOOO HoOOOO Laurie .. just awesome .. SPLURGE ^_^
Now that would make going back into work VERY easy to take.
The nurses on my unit participate in 'LottoMax' .. even though I no longer work there .. they keep me 'in the loop' .. we never win much .. has been going on for 8 years !!! Started with 649 and morphed ... who knows huh :-)

Got my 'BILY' Toy Box 'bench from Sears today .. VERY pleased with it .. it now houses 3 bags of kibble and several of my larger pots that were precariously perched in my back "who knows what's in there' closet LoL

Got all geared up for a walk .. got to the end of the driveway and turned north and almost stopped DEAD !! A wind came up that was unrelenting at times, we managed a quarter of a mile but had to turn and come back home .. Lorna finds the cold too hard to deal with .. I;m sure the dogs would still be walking !!!!
Also saw a set of VERY large paw prints down the driveway .. took a pic as I am having trouble believing it was a DOG .. am thinking more along the lines of a WOLF .. still researching it ..

Figgrin on going car shopping tomorrow .. that's the plan anywho (at least right now)

Off to take a banana loaf from the oven ...

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 21, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8441599

Cut me a piece of banana bread won't you? Was out for chinese at lunch, wasn't hungry when I came home but tummy is rumbling so it will hit the spot. Wind was up here all day as well made it bitter cold...brrr think it will take sometime for Spring to take off her winter coat!

Yikes, lock up the pooches until you find out if it is wolf paw marks..what a worry!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 21, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8441667

Well it snowed a bit Sat night, Sunday was fine but it started again last night, has been snowing lightly all day and apparently will continue for the next couple of days! It is actually quite warm . My sidewalk was cleared early this morning and of course lots more snow but it is warm enough that most of it has melted from the pavement.

I went hunting this morning for a seat cover/protector for the back seat because that is the dog spot- difficult bcause it has to fit around the head rests and finally found one I hope will work but have not fitted it yet. Store only had one and it is 'gold" which does not match my grey interior but I can live with it! Just happy to find something.

Forgot to get dog food, will go out tomorrow. Enjoying driving the new car although it will take a while before I figure out how everything works- everything is power controlled it seems. I did manage to get the time set and the back window heater figured out this morning! Heater warms up quicker than the Saturn which I will appreciate in really cold weather.

Have an ultrasound on Wed of my throat area- to check that thyroid nodule. Also have our sweet foster dog Buddy coming to stay for 6 days while foster family is in Vancouver. Buddy has lost about 3 lbs so far - would like him to get down to about 30 lbs before we put him up for adoption. Need to be sure adoptive family continues to work with him.

Had two calls today to take in dogs one in Edmonton, one near here. The Edmonton one may be a toughie, dog is 11 years old and may have a pee in the house problem ( she not sure which dog is doing it!) The one here will probably be easy, 8 years old. Have not seen pics yet.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 21, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8442042

Betty & Marilyn - yes, I'm sure when it's the "right time" for the place to sell, it will... I'm just an impatient little human LOL

Carol - you could always dye the gold cover - just not black, cuz that would show Everything, and I gather dogs shed?!?! LOL
Good luck on the pee'ing doggie! phew... gonna have to keep a lot of Febreeze on hand!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 21, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8442099

LOL Susan, gold may in fact be a good color considering the coat color of my dogs!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 21, 2011
9:29 PM

Post #8442103

aha - of course - Shelties are gold and white lol (DUH!)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 22, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8443593

I think the gold will work well Carol .. hope it fits .. I just have a blanket down .. both dogs have perfected the art of 'treat hiding' in the blanket too ^_^

Went car shoppin today .. my head was swimming .. have decided I am going to sell my car privately .. you get a better deal (aka 'more money) if you do. Once that is done, and my loan is paid on my Corolla I'll have a nice down payment .. now I just have to settle on a vehicle .. not under a time constraint, so, will take it slowly.

It was -17C with the wind chill today ... brrrrrrrrrrrr ... supposedly cooler tonight ..

A couple of days back I mentioned the LARGE 'dog' paw print in the driveway .. I had taken a pic with the cell phone .. am attaching it with this post .. it's taken in comparison to one of our dogs .. scares me to say the least .. I sincerely hope it is NOT a wolf !!!

Take care everyone ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 22, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8443645

"m" sure don't like the looks of them, omg look at the claws...you never know if what's coming out of the bush has tabbies!

They sure don't give you much do they on a trade in..I'd say you are on the right track...darts, got to put my head down, headache city...

If it weren't for ann coming over for tv bingo think I'd head to bed but know her visits on tuesday night means a lot, mike is failing fast and she needs someone to gab with..won't be long once she leaves I'll be under the covers...glad they called today to say my glasses would be in tomorrow..hope that helps
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 22, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8443909

Marilynne don't know what the paw print is but my daughter suggested to go to Google images and see if you can match it with a wolf or cougar or ?? Yikes it looks big enough you don't want to bump into it.

We have had snow falling on and off all day. Heard Southern AB had big snow with this storm. I wonder when Spring is going to arrive.
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 22, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8443966

Spring? What's that LOL
We welcomed Spring in with a dump of snow LOL
Ah well, we're lucky we're in Canada and not some other countries (like Japan!)
I'm popping back and forth, filling our hot tub after if froze. Hope it's ok, but I hear water in the access panel area, so think some of the "filling" I'm doing is actually going underneath the tub, onto the ground! I'll get Bob to put the heater back inside the access panel, near the motor casing.
The service guys are coming by between 5-5:30 tomorrow night. They seem to think it should be ok, with maybe a couple of little parts (hope that "little" is "little price" too lol)
If not parts, then just $75 service call, and that's not much!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 23, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8444498

Ann .. I think I'll take ya up on that suggestion re Google images. I walk the dogs frequently up and down the driveway to go down for the newspaper or the mail, or, to access the road to go for a walk .. I FER SURE do not want to encounter ?whatever that is? The thought of something attacking one of the dogs (who are TERRIERS) frightens me to the max !!

Susan .. re the water going onto the ground. Do you mean you think you have a 'crack' in the tub ? Jeeze, I sure hope not ..

Betty .. has your headache gone, and, did you win at Bingo ?

Spring is most certainly NOT winging it's way into Thunder Bay .. it's -22C right now with an expected high today of perhaps -12C. It'll come though ^_^

Off to the clinic .. Lorna has blood work due .. then we'll get some movies .. gosh .. the last 6 were a blow out. Only TWO were worth watching, the other four were either rife with vulgar language, sex or extreme violence .. today I am taking my glasses inside with me instead of just looking at the picture on the jacket and thinking 'OH, this looks good' !!

Tomorrow I see the endodontist (root canal guy) for my 'consultation' ... not thrilled AT ALL !!! The older I get, the more dislike I have for dental work ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 23, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8444832

Headache still with me, waiting for a call this morning to say my glasses are IN..hope that will do the trick...felt so badly, Ann needed i14 to win the $2,500 and boy could she have used some good news.

They went to Toronto for the last time on Monday and he was told to go home, put things in order, that the cancer tumors were growing quicker than they had anticipated and that he doesn't have much time..

After more than a year of being positive and not wanting to discuss any other possibility, he finally broke down! Seems he's almost at peace with it now..he told her to make appt. at funeral home so they could make arrangements, wants to take her out and purchase a smaller vehicle for her, getting papers straightened out regarding the care of his mom in nursing home - he has power of attorney and it must be switched to Ann sooo if ever there was a time for something good to have happened it would have been last night!

"M" the older I get the more thrilled I am that I've had false teeth since late teens...good luck!

Don't you hate it when you get movies, get yourself comfy and then they are not worth watching...

Been watching a lot of movies on Netflix which I now have on my ipad..can also watch it from my t.v. so if I come across garbage I simply click and get something new to watch..no fees wasted!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 23, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8445686

Feel worried re your ongoing headaches Betty .. I sure do hope the new specs make them GO AWAY .. and, if not, you should go and see your doc .

Oh my, how sad for Ann and her hubby .. I feel such compassion for them. THey will weather this with friends like you.

TEETH .. well .. I think this is my year for DENTITION!!! In other words ... 'MARILYNNE .. get'er DONE .. suck it up' ..
The thought of a full dental extraction makes me NUTS!!!! I just have TWO teeth I am dealing with .. and .. deal with them I shall .. not making me happy .. but .. gotta be done.

Got a few new movies today .. will start tonight with one called 'FASTER' (Billy Bob Thornton) .. who knows .. something to do in this cold weather ..

Re the PAW PRINT .. it IS a wolf, and the farmers near us , well 2 miles away, are on the look out ... I am just kinda creeped out .. glad the dogs are in a compound ..

Hmmmmm .. wondering how ViolaAnn is .. miss her ...

OK .. off to work a culinary miracle

~M~
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 23, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8445869

Re teeth. Hold on to your own, I lost mine ? years ago. The uppers are great but the lowers... after 3 new sets and thousands of dollars are still awful.Cant\'t eat apples, anything with seeds like tomatoes, blueberries and bread with seeds.Hold on to all that you have even if you only have two.I've lost my smile which is the worst. JOY

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 23, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8446325

Marilyn - the hot tub is "toast"... I suppose. Seems there are 4 access doors on the tub, and the one they need to reach is the one next to the deck so can't get at it.
They think a pipe is burst there, and the tub would need to get warm (including unfreeze from the ground...) and that would take a good stretch of warm weather. Then they would pull it away from the deck, and get into the access panel...
My DH went to pay for our service call today, and he had them call me to try to convince us to get a new tub at a discount of $1,500, to pay only $5,500, and get old towed away and new one installed for nothing. BUT - where would we come up with $5,500?? Back Pocket Change?!?!
I told my DH he needed to come up with $10k before the end of the month (each as likely as the other, doncha think?).
I haven't even finished my probation at my job yet! geeeeeeze, husbands!! siiiiiiiigh...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 24, 2011
3:41 AM

Post #8446652

Yikes Susan, that is NOT good news! It seems though they cannot give you a true reading of the damage until they can reach the back wall..hurry up warm weather...not so sure I'd be purchasing a new one..I'd be reducing selling price and put $$$ towards new home.

Joy, I'm on my 2nd pair in almost 40 years and can eat anything those with teeth can eat, no reliving so I've been very lucky..

"m" hope the farmers are out hunting this wolf...do they attack humans?

Got home at 6:00pm last night and went to bed immediately so one could say I'm well rested this morning..boss was in Toronto yesterday and said road conditions were terrible and stayed the night...listening to the news this morning sounds as though the roads are about the same, thank goodness it's clear here..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 24, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8446695

Holy Cow .. lotsa snow down east !! We have WIND and cold temps, and, ICY walks and pavement .. hate it !!!

OH SUSAN!!! Bummer re the hot tub .. I had hoped it was just a small problem ..

TEETH .. sigh .. I have 33 teeth still in my mouth .. all in good shape except for this one that is going to be having the root canal .. my dentist says he feels i MAY have 'an issue' with another one sometime soon (gee i can hardly wait)
So .. I'll get this endodontist to look at it .. OF COURSE he's going to say .."ROOT CANAL" .. that = $800.+ a large portion covered by insurance, thank heaven .. then they start with this CROWN business .. that's $1200. with NO guarantee .. say the crown broke .. too bad, so sad .. so .. I won't do the crown.

Best get a shuffle on .. busy day ahead ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 24, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8446713

Sad isn't it "m" when you almost have to empty your savings account or take a 2nd mortgage to fix ones teeth..terrible!

Sunrise here spectacular, so many different chirps this morning, think all saying feed me, will pick up bird feed on mepy lunch but won't continue to feed once Missy is outside as she sure loves to bird hunt
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 24, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8447021

Marily I have full dentures -sometime in the 90's and was happy to get rid of my own teeth which were an expense all my life. However I am in the habit of not wearing them unless I go out in public! I even like to eat without them although there are some things I cant eat. And if I am going out to eat I have to glue them in. But recently with all this weight loss after my illness they were not fitting right so I went in to see what the denturist could do - just spent about 700.00 last fall getting them relined. Now they say only thing to do to make them fit properly is new dentures- about 3500.00! Wont be doing that for a while!

I have a 4 legged visitor- foster dog Buddy. This is the little white guy who is so overweight. He is on a strict diet and gets lots of exercise but has not lost much weight ( probably converting fat to muscle) but he is much more active now. He will not be put up for adoption until we get him slimmed down some more.

I thnk the snow is about stopped and now we will start melting.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 24, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8447220

Carol
He is very sweet looking I know you won't have trouble finding a forever home for him!

Marilynne, I think for the most part the Wolves are afraid of people and you may see the tracks but most likely not the critter. My Mom's neighbor lost their small dog to an Eagle a couple of years ago. Wasn't a darn thing they could do. I think with you having two dogs it is safer.

Teeth, yikes you can get a loan out to fix them these days.

Susan I know you will find a good way to deal with the Hot Tub issue you always do!

Betty look after your head, you only have one and you don't need to suffer.

We still have snow falling and not much has melted. We still are not having over 0 degrees and hence lots of snow still remains. I think we will still have snow in June.

My overwintered Canna's have started to grow as have the begonia tubers. Some seeds are going well and others are frustrating me. Oh well I can just substitute with others come spring.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 24, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8447271

He looks just like my sister's crew 'American Eskimo' ..adorable!

On lunch going to have these new glasses adjusted and if no improvement after that it's off to the doctors, not to worry!

No snow here, sunshine kind of day but it's a cold one..still, better than snow right? there is but a little snowbank left at home from where the plow pushes the snow, another few days it will be gone..hopefully that is the last of the white stuff...was almost tempted to take down the plastic on back deck but better not just incase we have one last blizzard !

I've lots of sewing I can get done this weekend, so had better start so that when finally the nice weather arrives I'll be done!

Your Canna's Ann, were they outside planted or in the house? I so envy you all who can see growth..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 24, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8447423

Buddy's pic was just what I needed to feel better Carol :-)
He's a handsome boy~~

The tooth is going to 'a goner' .. the endodontist poked it once and said ... NOPE .. the tooth is cracked right through now .. nothing will fix it .. so .. off to an EXTRACTIONIST typa dentist, but, not too quickly .. I'm a CHICKEN ...
Should have a wake for the tooth LoL

Hope your glasses can be refitted to suit Betty .. long ago I remember looking at my Dad one day when I was visiting .. his glasses were .. well .. he referred to them a 'Kittywampus' .. as in EXTREMELY crooked .. I offered to take him to the opticians and he said "No .. they're fine dear" .. My Mom took me aside and said that the 'LOOK' of the glasses was making her a bit crazy .. long story short .. she took them while he was sleeping, handed them off to me .. I was there and back in 15 minutes from the opticians, my Dad wakened, put the glasses on .. fiddled with them for a bit, and then announce in his Irish brogue. "Ye see thet .. they fixed emselves' !!! LoL true story ...

ANOTHER cold day WITH wind .. no walk AGAIN .. the dogs are seemingly happy to just veg in front of the woodstove .. think I'll soak some beans to make baked beans tomorrow in the slow cooker.

Ann .. I am constantly watching the property perimeter for any mov't ie 'Wolf' .. we have deer by the dozen, so, that in and of itself is a good sign ..

Take care ~M~

PS .. my 'Pig Squeak' in the east garden against the house is greening up ^_^

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 24, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8447445

Went and had them adjust the glasses, seem to be better but lordy, the pain in the back of my neck and forehead is all but doing me in, not about to go to bed at 6pm again tonight..called my Dr. - amazed, have an appt. for Monday at 4pm..

"M" no wake or you'll miss out on the tooth fairy! lol

Cute story about your dad's glasses, isn't it nice to have all of these memories come floating back out of nowhere!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 24, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8447452

Betty
Canna's were outside last summer and I pulled them in the fall and stored them in my neighbors basement cold room over winter. Hubby brought them out two weeks ago and I moved them into pots and containers in the warm, as soon as their little heads poked up I put them under lights. I also got some Banana Canna seeds from Jen and I have 4 growing with two more expected and they too are under lights. I don't think the Canna's will last here through a winter outside.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 24, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8447457

Drats, left mine in the ground..usually 1st Saturday of May church has plant sale and I think they sell for 4 for $1 so just buy them..don't really think they get a full growing season with me doing to..just don't do well with bubls unless they can stay in the ground!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 24, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8447760

Betty
I'm zone 3 so if you are a few zones up maybe they will come again? Anyone out there know?
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8448094

Ouch ~M~ Well, you have a few more teeth in your wee moufie than I do, so you're lucky girl!

Cannas - love 'em - wish our church had a plant sale...

Time for supper, then off to choir practice.

btw - not gonna get a hot tub again - this one's more like a giant plant pot now LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 24, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8448131

Omg watching Ed Sullivan rock and roll classics...beetles just coming on... that is aging me!
Lol Susan,you can advertise it as a private garden...enjoy choir practice, how many hours is it for?

I believe Ann I'm in zone 5, would amaze me if some managed to make it through the winter!

Calling it a night..waving to all

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8448486

Choir practice is 1 1/4 hours.
Jaye said I should have a water pond and offered some water lilies LOL Silly girl!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 25, 2011
3:27 AM

Post #8448748

Morning, bitter cold out there, beats snow

Jaye is brilliant Susan...you would just lone her if you met her, beautiful lady inside and out

Friday, always an exciting day, means 2 days to play...this afternoon I'm off to a canvas company to make changed to top of my camper because soon it will be warm enough feorag me to take the roads in weekends lol, then tomorrow morning off for a jewelry class and as it's a cold one this weekend I'll get to some quilting blocks..enough to keep me busy and out of mischief!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 25, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8448961

Hmmmmmm .. what to do with the hot tub ... I betcha a pond liner would turn it into something way nice .. some wee fishies and water lilies .. if you play around with Google long enough you'll soon have something you likely NEVER thought of before ^_^

Brilliant sun here this morning, accompanied by COLD temps .. am off to town to purchase some DE ICER .. our driveway is like a skating rink ... to get to the garage to get at the cars you have to cross it, and since I fell last year and cracked a couple of ribs, I am NOT anxious for a repeat performance .. always worry about the dogs feet though .. must remember to bring glasses as I know there is stuff that is 'pet friendly' .. OH .. perhaps I'll GOOGLE it !!!

TGIF ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 25, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8449085

It was soooo beautiful coming in this morning, bitter cold, sun coming up, all the trees and branches were covered in diamonds..drats, why didn't I put my camera in my car..

"M" be careful ... nothing worse than ice all over.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 25, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8449285

Betty - I know Jaye is brilliant - and beautiful... Jaye, I love you sistah!
I have to Not do anything with the hot tub - no $$ to do anything, and a liner that would fit an 8-person tub would be expensive. Not something I can consider. I was being facetious. Not going to extend the deck over it either... Again, something that would cost $$ and my DH is costly enough lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 25, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8449436

You will come up with something Susan when the time is right..no fun doing something when you have to worry about where the $$$ will come from..how long before your 3 month probation is over? Last year you got all set up for camping, planning anything for the May long weekend?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 25, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8449577

6-month probation, Betty... June 6th is my 6-month mark.

No, but we've planned for last week of July, which also takes the August Long weekend into account, so I'd be off the 23rd of July to the 2nd of August - 10 days!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 25, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8449758

Beautiful here too- all the trees frosted.

Just rushed over to Garden Retreat to get my plugs - thats all the annuals I ordered and they are - quite literally - plugs! Now I have to get them all transplanted into pots - there's about 80- I think! That will sure fill up my indoor light garden! The begonia tubers are taking up a lot of space right now - next year will know to put them much closer together.

Tomorrow is my first shift at Lougheed House since November!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 25, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8449871

Vacations being planned, PLUGS to plant and nurture .. must be SPRING ^_^

Carol .. I hope your shift at LHouse is wonderful .. I am sure you will enjoy it.
And those 'PLUGS", awesome .. I really haven't heard much 'talk' of them here .. but .. it seems, from one Province to the next, names change for things dealing with Gardens.
Our nurseries here likely call them 'sprouts' .. whatever the name .. the end product is , for the most part, GLORIOUS ..

Bought 4 pails of de icer today (organic) .. have shook down only a small amount to see what happens .. if it works, well .. smiles a plenty.

Had friends over this aft to play cards .. they've gone .. so now it's time to figure out supper .. and then .. a movie .. last nights called 'RED CORNER' with Richard Gere' was good .. I will not say GREAT, but good :-)

Have an awesome weekend everyone

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 25, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8449897

Carol
They look good! enjoy as plugs are a much better way of dealing with the plants. You may need to pinch like crazy to keep them tight enough for under your lights! Your home will smell like a greenhouse with all those babies in there.
Marilynne good luck with the deicer.

Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 25, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8449906

Bright outside,calling for same this weekend but cold!

Susan your trial period will be over before you know it! Do they meet periodically to make sure you are on the right track? Wouldnt be fair if the didnt.. Piece a cake this year seeing as you upgraded all the camping equipment last year!

I'm getting the travelling bug, not sure where I'll end up on holidays at this point wouldnt even mind camping in the back yard...having a new camper top with changes done to it this afternoon to Dickenson boT tops...says it will be ready may1st,not sure even then we'll have warm weather...you know you have the traveling bug when you sit at your desk all day with an atlas and surf mPquest. Lol...even brought pencil crayons to mark day lengths...pretty sad right?

Carol I'm sure you'll enjoy being back at Lougheed House and getting to see your friends..been a long winter for you. Noticed they had plugs at the garden gallery the other day..could't believe hoe many were out supping for gardening supplies already. Anxious to see how the do for you.

Goodness "m" that is a lot of de-icer, are you planning bad weather well into July? Going to have to ckech if I've got that movie on Rogers on demand!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 25, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8450555

Ann those plugs are the plants for my containers and I am unlikely to be able to put them out before beginning of June so it will be interesting! Although if it is not to cold ( I can hope!) I could always put them out and cover at night I suppose. We will see.
I am remembering springs when I had bulbs blooming at this time of year- now still banks of snow!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 25, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8450678

As I haven't lived in Calgary for that long, relatively speaking Carol, I sure don't remember things blooming at this time of year! I had always heard that Calgary was much more temperate than Winnipeg, and while that's true, I also hear you can't plant until Mid-June... unless it's a perennial. I see a bit of soggy green starting to come up from the snow, so hoping that it's new growth, and not left-over green from last year lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 26, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8451012

Rule of thumb for planting here in Thunder Bay .. 3A .. is Father's Day weekend .. so .. June, AND, be ready with plastic to keep covering the plants at night, just in case!

Another sunny day here .. BUT, cold .. a high of perhaps -10C .. still and all the snow is melting and the grass is appearing, brown,wet and muddy !!

Am sorely disappointed (so far) with the 'organic de icer .. seems to have accomplished very little of what it said it would on the shaker container. The main length of driveway (300ft) will get the NON organic stuff !!

Bought a ConsumerReports book/magazine re reviews on cars/suvs .. pricing etc. Going to try and plow through it and become even MORE confused ...

Enjoy your weekend ^_^

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 26, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8451118

Susan the rule of thumb for Calgary - and it only applies to annuals- is not before 24 May long weekend. Which is why you find the garden centres packed that weekend.
It is not always true though. By the end of May I often have perennials finished blooming if it has been a good spring - the past couple of years have not been so good! I hope things start to melt soon as I have a open garden scheduled for end May for Hort Society members and am somewhat concerned!
I have a lot of small spring bulbs and in a g ood year they are often up and blooming in April and I have occasionally seen that happen in late March too - not this year obviously - I still have deep snowbanks!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 26, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8451283

Carol
Same in Edmonton in fact it's trying to snow right now! I still have 3 ft of snow on my yard and in the back where we have shoveled it's more like 5ft and that is packed. Last year my snowdrops were blooming in April.
Oh well it will keep me thinking on what to do with all the plants that have been started. Carol can you put together a bit of a cold frame on the South side of your house? I know I can move mine to the G house and with the heat mats plugged in at night I can at least get them out of the house , just not yet it's too cold still. Plus the snow is high around it too.
Marilynne does the organic stuff have to have a certain temp to get it started? I know mine only works when it's close to 0.
Here comes a week of Spring break for my DD. She has been looking forward to this, we will see!
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 26, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8451524

My cousin (who's lived here since 1972) says not to plant anything new until mid-June but I suspect she's likely referring to tomatoes and such.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 26, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8451858

Yes Susan that refers to annuals and veggies like tomatoes.

I buy and plant perennials early in May.

Ann I set up a couple of those cheap plastic covered 'greenhouses' in the back porch which faces east and is mostly windows,is heated and if the day is sunny can be quite warm even in the winter and thats where I put the plants I buy early May ( which includes annuals) Since I wont be buying any annuals this year I plan to move the annuals I am starting in the basement up there.

Tomorrow I will start to get the plugs transplanted.

It has been snowing lightly off and on all day!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 26, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8451888

You poor things, still getting snow! It's 3c here, talk about cold..went for jewelry class, it's in one of the double wide trailers and she doesn't keep the heat on, turns it on just before class, well by the time we finished class I couldn't even feel my fingers..

They usually say nothing planted here until end of May but last few years even that is too early..each year it varies, no try and true method anymore

"m" can you bring some of the driver back?
Earth Day, usually I'm sleeping before I worry about shutting everything off!

Started my day early and managed to get to 2pm, now back on the chesterfield feeling sorry for myself..had so many plans for the day..oh well, another day?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 26, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8451957

about Earth Day - people burn candles and use their BBQ's, and that's worse, because it's carbon emission...
I'm not so sure 1 hour a year is enough, either. In Canada we use more electricity and heat because it get cold for longer, and dark earlier than more Southern climes.
Yes, we could, and do, use sweaters, slippers and blankies, but that's all winter long.
Opinion, please - do you think it's more cost/energy effective and ecologically sound to use your furnace, wood stove, electric or propane heater?
I don't want to start a debate however - just an opinion.
Remember - wood stoves can burn wood, or those engineered logs... and that brings up the thought of more chemicals?!?!

This message was edited Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 27, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8452757

We burn wood in our woodstove, BUT, this morning since it is VERY cold .. the natural gas furnace is coming on intermittently as well.
Kind of fortunate to have a house that is southerly facing, on sunny days (and this area has lots) we get passive solar heating that warms the living room and 2 of the bedrooms quite nicely.
'Earth Day' is a nice thought, but ONE day will never be enough to make a dent in the mess the environment is in.
We 'reuse and recycle' ... but it has to be EVERYONE, and I hate to be a cynic, I doubt that'll ever happen.
It has to start with the little ones, and, I do believe the education system IS doing their part.
I always refer to 'SEAT BELTS' .. they were introduced as MANDATORY when I was young(ish) .. many many folks did not go along with them. NOW .. well .. I feel naked driving even 10 feet without a seat belt secured around me.

Driveway was treated with 'stuff' yesterday, for ice, what a waste. I had Gord go out back where the sun had nicely melted snow from a dirt pile, he scraped up enough dirt to put down on the super 'polished' icy areas. It's not the cars we worry about .. it's Lorna walking down the driveway to access the country road .. which is clear and dry. Sure do NOT want her to fall.

Off to get a cuppa ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 27, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8453541

Did do earth day last night, all but for a couple of houses all had their lights off! No snow or ice here but with the wind I'd have to say. Its the coldest day yet..burr

Didn't get much accomplished yesterday sp trying to get something done today ...almost have the 3 panels done for my April (12 months of Christmas) quilt done...
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8453650

I shut down everything I could for Earth Hour last night and I agree Marilyn - does one hour really make a difference? It is supposed to raise awareness for climate change but is any one who counts paying any attention? I think us ordinary people watch our energy consumption because we have to but watching all the lights that go off for that hour in the big skyscrapers and the big companies I wonder if they can do that for one hour a year why couldn't they do it for one hour a night, that would make a difference.
Susan - I thought about your question quite a bit last night - I have electric heat and for me that is the most cost effiecient. My brother has a propane furnace and pays more for heat than I do. I have a propane heater for times the power goes out but don't find it does as much as for as little as the electric. I am very aware of my electricity use though, turn down the heat when I go to bed and when I go to work. I like the feel of wood heat but question what is going into the air and furnace says oil to me and that is a whole other story.
That my two cents.
Cold in the Martimes as well but I have spinach,lettuce and radishes coming up in the greenhouse.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 27, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8453979

Marilyn, you're right - it Has to be Everyone, and the largest users of our energy are the least likely to do anything about it.

Bernadette - thanks for thinking about my question - I hate to be a "devil's advocate" (listen to me, a church-goer, talking about the devil this way!!) but if the big companies and skyscrapers turned off their power for an hour, it would take even more than they saved to turn them back on again. It would have to be several hours that they were turned off for, and that would also turn off their security, and other essential services that they could not and should not turn off.
What a balancing tightrope we have here. Awareness, and doing what we can is the way to go, obviously, My head spins everytime I try to figure out the best way. It will take researchers to figure it out, and I predict another decade before they figure out some definitive answers for us.
I'm pleased everytime I see "this product has been made from recycled material" or "this product uses smaller lids/caps to reduce the amount of plastic used".
It's all a start...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 27, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8454344

Hmmmm you've both given me food for thought, just went and shut off a few lights and turned down the heat...only thing I'll not give up though is NO t.v. On during the night.

Well I'm going to try this sleep thing...heads pounding..glad I have doctors appt tomorrow afternoon!

Hope you all enjoyed you day!

lord willing we'll gab tomorrow

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 27, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8454351

I hope you get results from your Dr's app't quickly - want to know you're better and/or quickly treat-able!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 28, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8455108

Laurie ... when we bought this property 23 years ago .. OIL heat was 'THE THING' out here in the country.
I was used to natural gas, and BOY, did I notice a difference.
My good friends hubby works for a gov't dept that inspects the OUTSIDE fuel oil tanks .. 8 years ago she gave me a heads up that oil furnaces were on their way out as the holding tanks for the fuel were causing major environmental doo dah because they were prone to leaking. SO ... out with the oil, and, in with the 'little blue flame' .. the gas is MUCH cleaner and more efficient as well.

Hope your doc checks your BP Betty .. your headache has hung on much too long.

Temps in the PLUS realm expected ALL week here .. by by SNOW ^_^

Have a great week everyone

~M~

This message was edited Mar 28, 2011 6:55 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 28, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8455489

OOOOh thought it was time to move us over...

Heats and coffee's on...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1167829/

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8457726

sorry for the mix up...you can find us here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1168293/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America