Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

High Yield Gardening: Organic square foot gardening in raised beds

Communities > Forums > High Yield Gardening
bookmark
Forum: High Yield GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 313
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Garden_Healing
Boston, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8394490

I have a new plot in a community garden (http://www.fenwayvictorygardens.com) and this will be my first full season. Last fall I put together 6 raised beds and had a short season. I'm starting my seeds now for the new season. I have a few questions from those of you who have used organic techniques.

1) Are the plastic seed starting trays safe for organic starts or do they leach chemicals into the soil?

2) If you compost into a plastic garbage can (http://organicgardening.about.com/od/compost/a/cancomposter.htm) is the resulting compost going to be tainted by plasticizers?

Thanks

Thumbnail by Garden_Healing
Click the image for an enlarged view.

paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8394533

I have been gardening organically for years and using plastic trays (and plastic pots) to start seeds and have not felt concerned about any leaching. But I don't think I would use a garbage can for a composter. The plastic seems to be softer than the plastic they use for composters, and from what I have read, the softer plastics can be more likely to leach. 'Course, that would be more likely with heat.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8395195

Garden_Healing - I never thought about plastic wondering into the compost! I wish I knew the answer.

I am concerned with the water that comes out of our hoses, and the pvc pipe that brings water around the house to the back yard. Our home, fortunately, has copper pipes.
Garden_Healing
Boston, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8395629

Paracelsus: Thanks for your note of experience. I am particularly trying to be BPA and PVC free. I may have to invest in one of the metal cans. I don't want to have spent so much in organic seeds, soil, etc and then ruin it with "tainted" homemade compost or plastic seedling pots. I just don't know how much of an influence the plastic will have on the final product.

Honeybee: I also worried about the hoses. I get my water through the municipal system serving the community gardens. Boston has excellent water but the system carrying the water to the individual plots are PVC based. I attached hoses made for drinking water (RV hoses) so at least the hoses being out in the sunshine wouldn't add to the problem. I also will use collected rainwater as much as possible for watering the plants but whose to say the chemicals in rainwater are less than what comes from the pipes?

I truly want to minimize endocrine disrupters from plastics as much as possible but there is a point where you can't control all the variables.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8396676

uh, oh! More research to do...darn. I thought that the BPA was only used in hard and clear types of plastics. I had no idea there were other things to worry about.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 28, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8397178

I never even gave it a thought. I have one of those smaller garbage cans that has two wheels. I fill it about 1/2 way and in the Las Vegas heat is it soup in a matter of days. Then I just dig a big hole and pour in my scraps. But I do chop them up before they go into the container. I have never given it a thought about the plastic leaching.

I guess I will have to study this in more detail. Sharon.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

March 3, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8403940

Yikes, I knew clear plastic was bad but didn't even give the PVC pipes a thought. Our home plumbing is copper, but my whole garden irrigation system is PVC all 3.75 acres of it including the orchard.
MyJoyGarden

(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8404602

You can use cow pot (http://www.starting-a-garden.com/Cow-Pots.html) for seed starter pot instead of plastic.

daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2011
11:57 PM

Post #8437618

I recently asked a similar question to a garden store employee, and got the ("Well everyone in the valley is doing it (irrigating with a drip/soaker system). If it were bad for you, they wouldn't be able to sell it.") response. Ha! once upon a time lead pipes were the standard. And I can still buy cigarettes.

I am in the middle of transforming a dead lawn into a livable, back yard/garden. I have read the warnings on garden hoses that say they contain Lead, and was wondering if PVC and drip tubing (1/2" & 1/4") systems were safe. I have also read that recycled tire mulches do leach chemicals into ground, so have decided against a soaker hose ("made of 50% recycled rubber" with a picture of a tire).

Currently, I water landscape plants with a conventional garden hose till the water is cool, then flood irrigate the garden. I just don't want to put water on my garden thats been sitting in the hose in the hot sun. I'll be happy once it's dialed in and I'm using less water.

Has anyone brought this up in the organic gardening forum?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other High Yield Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant spacing jkehl 25 Apr 26, 2011 11:01 AM
How can you tell if you have enough space? sowersjoy 12 Mar 5, 2007 2:32 PM
Designing Raised Beds for Veggies CultivatingKate 24 Mar 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Container growing vs. raised bed growing yields silverglow 63 Dec 1, 2011 7:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening (SFG) construction pics 1_Lucky_Texan 55 May 20, 2013 7:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America