Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Morning Glories: how old is seeds

Communities > Forums > Morning Glories
bookmark
Forum: Morning GloriesReplies: 6, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8397416

I have seeds I have tried from years past like 2006 some germinate others don't. How old is seeds? A friend got seeds from a trader from 2006 mg seeds. They came in sealed packs. Do you think they are viable? I know this question has been asked but I cant find the thread. Thanks Marie

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8397535

yes, if they have been stored dry and above freezing and below or around average room temperature

Generally, MG seeds are viable 5 - 10 years, although much older MG seeds have been successfully germinated

This message was edited Feb 28, 2011 11:41 AM
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8398412

thanks

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8398595

Hi Rie, sorry about the dry, gothic presentation - hope your seeds do well for you. I do think that old seeds need extra care, although not sure how much difference it might actually make. So, for me, the baggy method with a dash of hydrogen peroxide in the water that I soak the seeds in and later moisten the coffee filter with works well (see MG sticky index). But others have favorite ways of doing this too, so hopefully they'll chime in here.

karen
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8399169

Marie - I've had great success with seeds as old as 6 years. So I see no reason that yours won't germinate and grow. Storage is always a good indicator whether they will be viable or not. I'd grow a few out to see what happens. Maybe you could try a different method for each seed to see which works the best. I agree with Karen that soaking them in a hydrogen peroxide & water mix is a good idea. But I also just plant them in a good sterile potting mix in a styrofoam cup and put them in the sun. Just make sure to check them daily for moisture needs. They will wilt really fast if the soil gets too dried out. You can also water them with a little hydrogen peroxide added to the water. Just a drop or two. It helps prevent fungus/bacteria growth which is what usually kills most seedlings or causes seed rot.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 9, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8416507

Marie, my seeds are quite old too, some are from 2002 and 2003 onward, I'm concentrating on growing my 2004 JMG seeds so that they at least provide a few back to me before they get too old and don't germinate at all.

I keep mine double packed, all of my seeds are double packed or triple packed. They are in a baggie, then back inside the package it came in, then that goes into a larger baggie that is filed inside a cardboard box that keeps more light out. I really think light and air will damage the seeds, and also they need to be kept where it doesn't get hot.

I'm curious as to how others package their seeds to store them. I took mine out of the binders I had them in and put them into black colored card board boxes (It took me a couple of days to do it), even though I could see through the plastic sleeves, I was obtaining too many binders and they take up too much of my shelf space. So the boxes work for me.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 9, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8416572

My seeds are still in binders and so far just about everything that I have planted has germinated. They are also kept in a cool area. I would think that light, heat, and moisture would be the things to avoid for storage.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help mingsmimi 5 Jul 18, 2009 4:33 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America