Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: This seasonís fruit: Mangifera indica: Furry little animals

Communities > Forums > Article: This seasonís fruit: Mangifera indica
bookmark
Forum: Article: This seasonís fruit: Mangifera indicaReplies: 1, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8397549

Your article brought back memories of mangoes eaten fresh off the tree in Zimbabwe, Southern Africa! My sons were little still and the best place to eat the juicy fruits was in the bathtub! The more common type was the stringy mango, which although messy to eat, lacks the somewhat pungent, overpowering aroma (almost like paraffin) - at least thats what it smells/tastes like to me. When you strip the flesh off a stringy mango off with your teeth, virtually combing it - you end up with a mass of fibers attached to the pip, which when carefully cleaned, or left in the rain and then dried, looks like a furry little animal!
Here in Canada I still pick up the mangoes in the supermarket and give them a hopeful sniff but the result is always disappointing. They obviously wouldn't travel well if picked even half ripe, but to a palate that knows the taste of ripe mangoes - they are just not worth while eating!
Thanks for an interesting article! Its crazy to think that the world would be such a different place without the interference of humans! Mangoes are a staple diet in southern Africa (I don't know how far North they spread). In a country of much hunger they are an important source of nutrition and energy - the goats enjoy the leaves shaping the trees with a perfectly flat, groomed mushroom shape at the height of a standing goat!
We are having freezing rain/snow today and I sorely miss some green and heat!

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

March 1, 2011
12:10 AM

Post #8399248

Thanks for the input! Yes we also have those mangoes which leave enough material in your teeth for days;)) When our daughter was very young and always greedy for mangoes we found that the most convenient place was on the beach, sitting in the water and letting juice dribble all around...In nearby Madagascar mangoes is also an important thing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: This seasonís fruit: Mangifera indica Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Informative article, thanks luv2wok 1 Mar 1, 2011 12:13 AM
Oh, Yes lortay 1 Mar 1, 2011 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America