Post #8406723

Not here YET!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2011
1:33 AM

Post #8409521

I've got daffys,crocus and pink hyacinths with buds. Have got to buy a camara.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8414627

I've got snowdrops and sprouts and STILL some snow mountains in parking lots, etc.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 8, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8415473

Vickie, would love to see photos of your place on the mountain.

Carrie, they will all melt away, I promise.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2011
12:41 AM

Post #8417694

Am looking at a 35 mm camara. Had to buy a watch this month. Maybe next month. Sunshine and warmth is promised for the weekend.
Hope the folks in ALA have survived without damage from tornadoes.
Have not forgotten the dogwood.
Carrie,Can you see ground yet?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8418860

Yep, ground with blanched crocus shoots!!! Yay, hurray!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 11, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8421398

Vickie, I’m still on the lookout for a camera deal for you. No one seems to be upgrading. I guess new cameras aren’t in many people’s budgets this year. On the positive side, the cost of digitals is going down. You can get one with respectable pixel quality for $75-80. 10 mega-pixels. The old one we’re still using is 3.2 mega-pixels and I paid $200+ new. It is nice to know some things are going down in price.
Nadine says she will be back here soon. She’s been competing in an anime art contest. The contest organizers are trying to develop “an appealing and marketable female warrior character that isn’t a cliché.” Body proportions have to be “realistic” and no skimpy outfits. Cartoonists think that is quite a challenge. You can find such real life characters on most military installations in my experience. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 12, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8422056

Amen to that, Jim. Eager to hear if Nadine enjoyed the experience. :-)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 13, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8424405

carrie, bud is blurry, but you can see the blue!
debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8426902

Ah, love that blue.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 14, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8427059

Here is a little more...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8428760

Ahhhhh.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 15, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8429098

And for the finale!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 15, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8429609

Wow, what an awesome shade of blue! It's certainly doing its part to balance out all the season's bright yellows.
I noticed this little guy in one of the porch rail planters. All MK remembers is it came with a mix of South African bulbs that she bought for the sparaxis it contained. She thinks. Perhaps. :-) Off to the wilds of latin to hunt.
Vickie, send me any pic from a film-type camera you want to share online and I will scan it and send it to your e-mail. From there, you can download it into your computers photo library. If you don't at least pop in and wave soon, I'm going to call you. ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8429661

Thanks Nadine, I will do that.
How much trouble is it do to it?
I've been keeping an eye on a camara at wally world for abt $90. It takes me awhile to make up my mind sometimes.
Does the little blue flower have a slight onion odor. It looks like some my grandmother had that came up every year.They had tiny little bulbs.
Have been in a serious depression mode. Am coming out of it now.Someday I'll talk about how i feel then but not now.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8430543

Scanning is EZ; it's getting around to it that's hard for me.

The move to NC is back on the table - he hates his boss more than he remembered and the lateral position isn't available. Scrolling up to find Debra's links!

LOVE that blue!!!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8431949

Carrie, I've visited in NC and know the people there are friendly and welcoming.
Hey! You'll be closer to the rest of us hulligans. LOL We can get together for some serious trouble. At least if oil prices ever go down.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8432464

It's the Medicaid and the accessible housing... his job would be easier and it sounds like a lovely place to live. Ugh, I hate being an impediment but I'm afraid I am. There are a lot of DG folks who live further south than we do.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 17, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8432644

Vickie, Carrie said it right. EZ! Scanning is how I usually post my drawings.
Not sure what is going to happen with one of the contest since it was out of Japan and they’ve got bigger things to worry about. (Japan is the birthplace of the manga/anime style of cartooning.) Most there appear to be trying to keep things going as normally as possible. I guess there is a kind of comfort in routine. I know that is true in dealing with Depression. I can’t always find the energy to keep the routines I establish for myself though, no matter how hard I try. Hang in there. Depression manifest differently in different people, but most I’ve spoken to about it agrees that there is something cyclical about the disease. A natural upswing will probably come soon. To me, it is a lot like living on a roller coaster you can’t get off of. We-e-e-e. NOT!!! ~Nadine~.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 17, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8432919

Happy "Evacuation Day," Carrie. lol. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8434861

Another nephew today!

Thanks, Jim - we were more interested in the emergence of this little guy. He managed to miss St. Pat's day by 15 minutes! Around here, having your birthday on that day is ethnic profiling - they even make "Happy St.Patrick's Day Birthday" cards. Shamrock everything, green beer, yadda yadda yadda, it's really dull and you'd be pigeon-holed all your life.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 4:44 PM

Thumbnail by carrielamont

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 18, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8435154

Happy Birthday, brand new baby boy. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8435278

Oh, thank you! He has no name yet ...
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2011
12:30 AM

Post #8435806

Congrats, Carrie. He's a handsome lad. How is your other Gbaby doing?
I did'nt do anything today except sit in the sun soaking up sunshine while working in my daylilly containers.
I did do one thing in the house. I lost my Dish remote controll.Have looked everywhere. Will look again tomorrow. Once i lost a box of salt,than found it in the frig.Never have lived that one down.LOL
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 19, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8436019

Vickie, I have lost my glasses on my head and (more than once) hooked in the front of my t-shirt collar, so salt in the fridge seems normal. Think there should be electronic finders, sorta like "The Clapper" that used to be advertised on TV for lights? Clap two or three times and the remote control or the glasses or whatever beeps with a strobe light? :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 19, 2011
9:33 PM

Post #8437518

PJ had to call me today so I could find my cellphone by the sound of the ring.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 20, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8439699

I've been on a drawing kick lately.

Photo: The Garden Warrior

This message was edited Mar 20, 2011 11:13 PM

Thumbnail by Sansai87

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 20, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8439705

Photo: It's not nice to mess with nature

Thumbnail by Sansai87

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8439775

lol Is she holding a whip or a snake?
I found the remote. It was on the back of my car. Found it after i had drove to the mailbox and back.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 22, 2011
9:48 PM

Post #8444266

It's supposed to be a whip. Lol. That one was a cross of magical fairy girl with Indiana Jones. :-) Unfortunately, I’ve never seen a whip outside Indiana Jones movies. A friend gave me a book called "Field Guide to the Little People." I never realized what an image make-over Walt Disney gave the little people. In the original myths they were tricksters at best and downright wicked most of the time. Scotts win for gruesome little folk myths and Slavic folklore has the most mean spirited and bad tempered lil folks. Disney’s image makeover never completely took it seems. I watched Leprechaun on St. Patty’s Day. The leprechaun in that movie is a far cry from the cute little Lucky Charms guy.
There are more blue flowers around than I thought. I just never paid attention to how many we had before. This is a blue wood anemone (Anemone nemorosa), I think. ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8444978

Man, I wish THAT would survive up here!!! We traveled to Raleigh-Durham and back, met some very nice people, and for the second time this month (!) came to the difficult conclusion that we cannot move to RDU. Luckily March is almost over! (No more chances to change our minds again.)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8450930

Carrie, I feel like we are the losers in your decision.
Nadene, I've got a few of those,but i could'nt remember what they were. I never know just where they will pop up.
Nadene, back in the 50,s there were some B westerns with a cowboy that used a wkip. Did all kinds of tricks with it, His name was Lash La Rue.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8452282

Oh, Vickie, I'm sorry! I wouldn't be able to visit you ALL every minute, and besides, I have to be president AND secretary of the Granny Goons North Division - any volunteers to take over? See? No, it's all political, not GOP and Dems but whether they would permit Ray to leave his current position. He's kind of irreplaceable. Plus, NC has no home health care -- I'd end up in a nursing home and NOBODY wants that!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2011
12:37 AM

Post #8454913

AW-W-W-W Carrie, Not even for a few weeks? Think of the havoc we goons could create in a nursing home. And we would definately get you out of there.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8455653

Yuck - no nursing homes, thanks, not even for a few minutes!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 28, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8456545

Amen to that, Carrie!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8458347

Noticed - discussion of Rosa Zeph Drouhine here:
http://www.finegardening.com/plantguide/rosa-zephirine-drouhin-thornless-rose.aspx
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 29, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8458702

I think whoever created Indiana Jones must have watched those B westerns.
My Da spent a few months in a nursing home while his broken leg healed. The staff probably had a huge celebration party when he was qualified for home assistance and left. He was the kind of patient nurses and doctors have nightmares about. When MK's DDs borrow money or something they always hug her and crack jokes about how wonderful the nursing home they put her in will be. I wonder if there really is a nursing home somewhere that has a Swedish masseur on staff. lol. ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8459343

I heard there was one in Southern Cal. But only stars can afford to go there.
LOL Doctors are the ones that make nightmare patients.When in a hospital,They will do exactly what they want to and that is NEVER what they have their patients do.
Before my SIL died of cancer she was in a nursing home.While she was still up and about. I'd pick her up and we'd go and do stuff. We'd drive the nurses wild cause we never showed up when we were supposed to.But i looked out for her.
Indiana Jones...You got a point Nadine.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8459398

Strange--Bigfoot was just asking me the other day "what ever happened to cando1" :)

Remember that Master Gardeners and Jr. Master Gardeners must complete so many volunteer hours to get certified. I can think of no better partnership than for them to match up with an older gardener to help while learning from that gardener.
Contact your local county agent for possible volunteers.
They might even learn how to grow chocolate basil. :)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 29, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8459575

ROFL. Give my regards to Bigfoot.
I'm not letting Kay go to a nursing home. She specifies it be a handsome, young male masseur on staff. Ain't gonna happen even if one of her DD's did hit the Big Time. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8459608

Vortrek, I have missed you and dear old bigfoot. Me and bear have been hybernating in an old cave. LOL
Ever once in awhile I google chocolate Basil. But alas notta. Our basil thread has made it to google tho.
Vickie

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8459843

LOL on the Google thing--every once in a while I will Google Chocolate Basil and most of the references point to our old threads.
Bet we have some folks "out there" really scratching their heads. :)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 30, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8461280

Nadine, for your Angel room.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 30, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8461291

Kay, it a nice bright electric pink.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 30, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8461293

Jim, its NOT pink.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 30, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8461323

Vickie, Pineapple Sage

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 30, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8461325

Carrie, light and airy and sturdy. Cherry Brandy Gaura

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8461763

Vortreker, is it true you’ve had a change of heart and will now share your chocolate basil with the world? If so, I want you to know I didn’t REALLY mean any of that stuff I said about Bigfoot’s attitude and your hording instincts.
I might compromise a little on the masseur for Jim's sake, but I’m not giving an inch regarding the private patio garden with a fountain. If I were Queen of the World all nursing homes would provide those.
Debra, I could see it! I could see it! It looked international orange before I turn off the high contrast feature. But, even when I turned that off I could see the pink. I’m tempted to let Nadine off her leash so she can have at that section of the yard with the eye-popping colors she loves. Just to have a garden I can see a little. But, I want swings and play stuff sturdy enough for economy-size adults. Why should kids have all the fun? We could block it visually from the road, but still have it so it could be seen from the deck. Is there anything on Amargia’s plant list in my journal I can send you in trade for the rose? Kay*

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8462082

Vortreker, is it true you’ve had a change of heart and will now share your chocolate basil with the world? If so, I want you to know I didn’t REALLY mean any of that stuff I said about Bigfoot’s attitude and your hording instincts.

WHERE DID YOU HEAR THAT NONSENSE?!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet some politician told you that to get your vote.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2011 5:38 AM

This message was edited Mar 31, 2011 5:39 AM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8462102

Vort, Better be careful! Kay will get angry and make mincemeat out of you. And we Granny Goons will have to watch her back.LOL

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8462124

Well--OK--I'll bet Kudzu could be a problem--I'll ask Bigfoot if he's ready to share the chocolate basil. I'll warn him about the Granny Goon Squad. Maybe that will convince him.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8462195

Gosh—was my timing ever off. I asked BF (Bigfoot-not Boyfriend!!) the big question.
"Are you ready to share the CB?"
I was lucky in that he only dis-articulated by nose and one leg.
I won’t repeat his answer in a family type forum but it had something to do with
%$#^&-------- NO
After I returned from the hospital we had a “heart to heart” and he apologized for my injuries. He said it had been a bad week for him.

He was studying to be a handsome nursing home masseuse and got expelled yesterday just because he occasionally broke some lil ol non-essential bones.
Then he found out some politician was going around getting votes from folks like Kudzu by promising them chocolate basil.
THEN!!!!!---he found out cando1 was hiding his ex-wife out in a cave in Arkansas.

The good part is that I convinced him that Loc Nestle could adequately guard the chocolate basil patch while he was in therapy.

No one probably cares but I get the cast off of my nose in only 6 weeks and the leg is doing fine as long as I use my crutch.

I don’t know how I am going to pay for Bigfoot’s therapy. Maybe you folks could dig into your sock money and send a donation to:

BF fund
c/o BR 549
The great state of Texas
Tax deductible if you lie to the IRS

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2011
11:29 PM

Post #8464214

Well, Vortreker, in that case, I meant every word of it!
An excellent fund raising strategy would be to mail out potted CB plants to potential contributors. Green for green. I personally would do all in my power to see that Bf gets the help he so obviously needs. Therapy is imperative given what I’ve heard. He probably should have gone into therapy when his wife left him for a bear. It must have been traumatic for him leaving him with terrible feelings of inferiority. I’m sure if Bear is a friend of Vickie’s, he is an extraordinary bear, but still…. It must have been a blow to the ego of a mythical creature to know his lady preferred the company of a mundane animal. Kay*
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 3, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8469342

Vortreker, give my regards to Nessie. She is an old family friend. I hope you are recovering well. I told Kay there will be no talking behind Bf's back. Be warned you may see her on the Choc. Basil thread and she is involved in a political movement to have Choc. Basil taxed and control by a bureau she will heading. This is her next political move in getting herself crowned Queen of the World. But, you should also be aware she is related to a certain blond sasquatch of your acquaintance. Good luck.
Have they restored water to your area, Vickie? Being without running water doesn't sound like any fun at all. We are on "city water" but I think there will be a on-site well in our future. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 3, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8469535

Red Miniature Rose, first one to open this year. Bit blurry, really windy today.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2011
10:50 PM

Post #8470361

Debra, I'm just proud my roses are getting leaves much less buds.
We(DD,BF and I) went into Clarksville to a motel for 2 days. Took long hot showers,washed clothes.I shopped Walmarts,Atwoods and a local nursery.Came home much cleaner and with marigolds,a blue verbeana,a hugh yellow double begonia,some pink ones and purple verbeanas. I am a happy camper tho a much poorer one. BUT I AM CLEAN.LOL
Would you beleive I sat in front of my room and injoyed watching traffic on I40.We hillbillys are easily intertained LOL Remember i live at the end of a forest road. I made a new friend of the motel manager. She loves flowers and we talked quite abit.
Tomorrow i hope to find out when we'll get water back. We do have a well but need a new pump. I might ought to get one for emergencys. Tho actually just a thin bucket and man power may be better.
I sat outside this evening and injoyed the stiff breeze,my flowers ,cats,dogs and my old friend frog.Was glad to see him again.
I am seriously thinking about getting a hovearound for outside. My knees and breathing keep getting worse.I may as well give up living if i can't dig in dirt a little.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8471313

Snigger!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 4, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8472590

"Queen of the Stump!"

Thumbnail by seacanepain

rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 6, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8475957

I loved the name of the thread and thought I would drop in and see what goes on here. I will confess to not reading previous posts on the thread but some of the pictures are delightful. Is it okay for a person looking for some laughs in her day to just drop by?

What sorts of things do you share here? Looking forward to adding more laughs to my day. Just a note, I have been a Dave's member for about six years. I didn't participate much for a year or so because of being involved mainly with Facebook and a couple of other websites that were keeping me busy.

I have been back participating in the forums for about a year now. I am known mainly in the Mid Atlantic Gardeners Forum due to attending several Plant Swaps over the years and early on most of my chatting done in that forum. The past half a year or so I have been mainly involved in The Clean and Clutter Free forum and have gained a lot of help from the participants there. My husband and I spent several months this past winter de-cluttering much of the excesses we have been storing for years. The de-cluttering project is almost at an end and I will be now looking for new ways to occupy some of my time.

I noticed while scrolling down to the end of the thread that I am familiar with some of your names, having seen you on some of the other forums I have been involved in the past. I believe that laughter is way preferable to sadness and realize that my attitude is mainly up to me and how I handle whatever life decides to throw my way during a days time.

Here is wishing each of you some hearty laughs today.

Ruby

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8476021

Welcome, Ruby! We (most of us) have some physical distraction (nice euphemism) that prevents us from being able to participate as we might like in gardening or in "real" life. So we have a thread to gripe on, I mean to empathize on, one for joys, and one for practical considerations (how wide should a wheelchair ramp be?), but this being DG the three threads are hopelessly inter-twined.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 6, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8476991

Just Joey, justa bloomin' away

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 6, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8477470

oooooo! I like that color!
Welcome, Ruby. I’m a young person dealing only with Depression and I like to hang here. I share a garden and living space with an elderly woman who is visually and hearing impaired (Kay-kudzu) and an older man who has serious back problems (Jim-Seacanepain). Mama Kay calls people who aren’t yet dealing with limiting physical problems T.A.P.’s (TEMPORARILY Able-bodied People and does not discriminate against us. :-) No one here does. Mostly, I spend time here just because it’s a cool place to play and I have fun playmates. :-) ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2011
3:01 AM

Post #8477577

This bad penny has turned up again. Hi Ruby!
Nadine, Just what do you mean-- Just Depression? This ole gal has CHF,arthrits and chronic Depresson. For me the depression is the most debilitating. I know depression hurts you too Nadine.(((HUGS)))) I think this is a fun place too and at times a life saver. Did you guys have bad weather a few days ago?
Anyone want to adopt this dirty lil ole woman? I mean literally.
Still no running water, no hot water,no showers. And I've been getting, like really down and out personaly dirt dirty. Like playing in real dirt planting flowers and tomorrow i start on veggies. My sole bath experience is with those germicidal wipes one buys at Walmarts. One wipe does not go far on me. It is more like a wop and in the trash.Even my dogs don't like to be around me long at a time. I mean its really bad when your dogs snub you. Specilly when i've seen them go roll in poo.
I haul water home but it mostly goes in the Throne. Also in my transplanted plants. Hopefully Friday I'll get to join the human race again. If you hear of riots in northern Arkansas on Saturday. You will know our water is not on yet.Maybe we can get Jeff Foxworthy to lead us.Maybe we could write a ballad about the spring of 2011 when we were quarrent-e-e-n-e-d and banned from the USA. The year wildlife left in droves and all vegetation died. All because of the smell.LOLOLOL

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8478067

LOL
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 7, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8478155

aiii, vickie, i feel for you. i remember having burst pipes and water shutdowns from threatened dam breaks and such. once, i had to wash up in the sink at work for four days. ugh! the good news is your own nose will get accustomed to it soon and you won't even notice it. then it will only be everyone else that can smell it. LOL
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

April 7, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8478231

Vickie - I've lived where I had to haul water and it's a challange I'd rather not face again.

I get city water here but it often gets turned off for a few hours (or 10). I was a happy camper when we got a tank installed so I have water for dishes, etc and when the last hurricane took out the water llines from town I had enough in my tank to last the ten days or so until it was repaired.

We have been doing a lot of spring clean-up here. I bought an ATV from my neighbors and brought a small trailer from Ca. on my lst trip. Seaweed is now washing in and I'm ready to haul some of it back for my garden.

Spent about two hours this morning cleaning out my walk-in closet. Got on box of books to take to Goodwill when I go to Ca. the end of this month. Getting others organized. Enough of the house is finally completed to put some things in their permanent homes after years of moving them from place to place as we worked on different rooms.

My foot is not too bad today. I am restraining myself from trying to catch up on a year's worth of organizing in a few hours.

I am looking forward to seeing the podiatrist and finding out what can be done about my foot.

hugs, katie
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 7, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8478567

Yes, Vickie. Not a good choice of words. Someone did a survey to list the things Americans most fear happening to them. Blindness came in second. But, on the days when the Depression is bad, I would willingly trade places with MK. (It hasn't yet been so bad I would want to trade places with PJ.)
Since I would like to live to be 23,I humbly apologize to Mama Kay for referring to her as "elderly" in my last post. I don't know what got into me! I know better.
Gathering seaweed for the garden sounds like an excellent excus...reason to spend time on the beach. I will have to try it. The salt in seaweed isn't enough to hurt plants?
Clean and Clutter Free is one of the forums here PJ visits. Today, he is on my case about all my books. sigh If Books, paper and pencils were not classified as clutter, I would be a decent housekeeper. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 7, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8479386

cool, katie. i've heard that seaweed is an excellent fertilizer. sounds like you and tony are rockin' and rollin' :-)

nadine, i KNEW you were smart. a little sincere and humble groveling can go a long way. LOL
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8479622

Yep, nadine - You did good.
Clean and clutter free is a forum i stay far away from.That does not suit my life style.LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 8, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8480763

Hey, sounds like I would fit in here. I am fifty five years young and have been dealing with a chronic illness for almost thirty years now. Half of my life has been spent learning to accept limitations. Yes, I know depression intimately, and have been there for a couple of weeks, though thankfully feel as though I am coming out of it now.

On top of learning to live with Behcets Disease which very much mimics Lupus but is a lot rarer than Lupus I had some new health issues begin the first year I signed up at Dave's Garden. There used to be a depression thread here and I was a member of it. I looked recently and there hasn't been any activity for quite a long time now. That too was a thread where a lot of caring took place and a lot of laughs too.

With the exception of only less than I can count on one hand, I have just loved every one of Dave's Gardeners that I have met or have dealt with online. Gardeners or folks who love gardens are good people it seems. Always a fruit cake or two to stir things up though, at least one in every bunch.

Don't know how often I will get to drop in or when I will find the time and back track a bit on the reading of this thread, but thank each of you for welcoming me. As you hear more of my story, I believe that you will agree that I belong here. hahaha

We are going in to the weekend. I hope that everyone enjoys it.

Ruby
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 8, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8480888

heya, ruby. glad you came in to set a'spell. welcome anytime, even if all you have energy to do is read, hopefully, it will make you feel more connected. besides, i, for one, can talk plenty enough for two or THREE people! LOL
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2011
3:02 AM

Post #8482107

I've read some of those old depression threads. You guys sure did keep each other going.You'll find this group is the same way.Glad you're here.
Debra, I had'nt noticed you talk alot. Guess I'll have to count your words to see. LOL
I am feeling alot better. Looking forward to another campfire tomorrow.
Vickie
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 9, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8482178

One thing I tell myself that often works to help me out of a slump or a funk is that - Tomorrow is a new day with new possibilities. Sometimes it seems that tomorrow can't get here quickly enough. Enjoy your day everyone.

Ruby
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8482267

Thanks Ruby
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 9, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8482497

This, too, shall pass. I live by it more than I want to, but am grateful to remember it as often as I do. [hug]

I have this plaque on my office wall. It's by Mary Anne Radmacher. Has gotten me through a day or three.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 9, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8482503

My golden speckledy Bearded Iris is in full speck today. It's almost more of a Zebra stripe, do you think?

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 9, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8483080

Well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I guess that means Debra does rank among the most talkative here. :-) (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8486637

Debra,beautiful! I have a light yellow iris and want a deep gold one. Yes a zebra stripe. I liked Batek when it came out.
When i'm deeply depressed incoming words simply do not have a meaningful feeling. Its like my mind is saying. Duh what is tomorrow? There is no tomorrow,just this deep dark hole of eternity. It does pass but its not in my world at that moment.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 11, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8487467

I often use "This too shall pass."

Thankfully the treatment I use to treat depression, Zoloft, has done a nice job of keeping me doing pretty much okay the majority of the time. I have been diagnosed as having mild recurrent depression. Before treatment my mind set was I am depressed, I have always been depressed and will always be depressed. I have enough good days behind me now that thankfully whenever I am feeling more down than usual, I at least am able to remind myself that yes, I am depressed, but I haven't always been depressed, nor will I always be depressed. That has helped me so much during low times.

Today in Central Virginia it is calling for record breaking high temperatures. The sun is shining brightly and I just opened the back door to let some air in. I have a rather lengthy to do list, but won't worry if not everything get crossed off. One thing I know I want to do is get to our front yard and see what is blooming. Hubby said we have some pretty tulips coming up and I haven't seen them yet. Might even pull out the camera.

Ruby

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8487516

Hi, I' not dead. Welcome, Ruby! Check the Real name/ Screen name thread - I can put you on there if you like.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
2:16 AM

Post #8494385

Well thank heavens Carrie!
LOL Ruby my problem this time is "Am i gonna survive till this is over?"
Of course i am! Its just that...
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8495460

LOL Just a) real sick w/ bronchitis (again) and b) composing up a storm!

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8496616

"Not dead" is good, Carrie. There are days when I feel like a zombie but I still have a pulse so I guess I'm okay.
Did you find time to get out and see those tulips, Ruby? I love them, but they are too hard to grow here. Not enough chill hours.
I think Nadine is painting her way out of a bout of Depression. Whatever works! We are getting lots of colorful new containers out of it too. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8497945

She could come up here for vacation and paint me a new batch of blue pots! Problem is yu have to sand them, and seal them, and yadda yadda blah blah blah or the winter will kill them and it still might.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 16, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8499811

You gals have me smiling now. What a joyful bunch you are. Oh yeah, got out to see the tulips and was really surprised and delighted by something new coming up in one of the tulip beds. I wrote about it elsewhere yesterday and described it as looking something like a rose-peony combination in solid white. There are two blooms amidst several solid red tulips. Beautiful. If they are still blooming when the weather allows me to go out there again, I will try to remember to take a picture and share.

Carrie, thanks for the offer to put me on the list...sure go ahead. Is it something I can access?

Hope that every one is enjoying their Saturday. Take extra good care all.

Ruby
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 16, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8499968

Ruby, just click on "The Accessible Gardening forum" in the list below. Then, click on the Screen Names/Real Names thread. It is always at the top in the list of threads since it is a "sticky." .
It's my day to be the boss at Amargia and I've ordered everyone to be couch potatoes today. :-) (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2011
11:49 PM

Post #8501121

I am a couch potato too. I decided to crochet to feel a little more useful.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 18, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8504242

Carrie, are your blue pots clay or resin? There is something about terra cotta pots I like, but MK says they dry out too fast. I've also heard going through dramatic temperature changes will crack them. That does sound like your weather.
MK just walked outside with a bottle of Amdro singing her very own lyrics to the tune of the Pink Panther theme song. "Dead-ants-dead-ants,
dead-ants-dead-ants-dead-ants, dead ants, dead-aaaants.
Dead-dead ants."
She was badly biten Friday. I guess its payback time. ~N~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2011
10:54 PM

Post #8505552

Way to go Kay and Nadine. I hate those bugger ants.
I needed too many large pots so mine are all plastic. I did use styrfoam chests to make a couple. They've lasted 2 years so far and i like them ,The styrfoam.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8507401

I've tried just about everything to control biting ants, Amdro bait is the only thing I've found to be effective. It takes a few days to see results though. My Mom used Sevin dust, but said it only seemed to make them move to a different spot.
I read one university (Texas A&M?) was experimenting with bringing in fire ants natural predators in their native South America. The experiment was meeting with limited success, last I heard. While the fire ants can withstand a colder climate, their ancient South American enemies don't tolerate our cold as well. Maybe, we could knit them little coats or something? Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 19, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8507407

rofl
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2011
2:18 AM

Post #8510398

Well if you see an anteater wearing a pink coat. Leave him be. He's a friend.LOL
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 21, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8511584

You're going to need smaller knitting needles, Vickie. The University of CA has put its hope on a type of South American fly.
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9902/18/t_t/fire.ants/index.html.bak
BTW: Do their sweaters have to be pink? Is everyone here part of the Pink Conspiracy?
(Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2011
11:56 PM

Post #8514553

I think we started the pink conspiracy just for you. Maybe we should call it "Jims Pink Conspiracy"ROFLO"
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 23, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8515647

I think PJ is starting a "blue conspiracy." He's been putting coffee grounds at the roots of the hydrangeas because he read somewhere that encourages a more intense blue. .
The blue conspiracy has the advantage with hydrangeas in the south. It is hard to get a truly pink hydrangea outside the controlled environment of a container. I'm told the surest way to get pink hydrangeas in the deep south is to plant the ones advertised to have red blooms. lol. I'm so-o-o confused! ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 23, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8515932

Nadine, would much rather have blue Hydrangeas, meownself. Just received a variegated lacecap called Mariesii Variegata. Blue in the middle with white little petals ringing it. Supposed to stay true to color. Fingers crossed it does and that I don't let it die from not enough water. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 24, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8517257

nadine, guess they don't really always stay true. but think will still be pretty.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/300755/
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8517713

Your house has such a welcoming look. Even with all my flowers mine says this is a retreat don't bother me. LOL
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 24, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8517734

vickie, what is wrong with that? :-) i rarely answer my door, so the neighbors all know it's "don't bother me" anyway. LOL

the house did feel welcoming when i first saw it, but a little wary. think it is slowly accepting me.

these iris are crazy. supposed to be the kind that need a lot more water than beardeds. they never get supplemental water and keep coming back each year as pretty as ever. i prefer more butter yellows to lemon, but i couldn't bear to discard them and it will be fun to see how they do when they are moved to make room for the green amber beds. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8519633

Debra, are they the invasive kind that live in water? Only know that they exist.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 25, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8520074

I think these are Siberian Iris. Don't know if considered an invasive Iris, but that may account for their tenacity here. :-)

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 26, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8522627

Jim, it's not PINK! :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8523151

LOL. Even I can see that it's not pink.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 26, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8523181

I think it's PRETTY! What is it? I bet even IO1 can tell THAT one is not pink. lol. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8523330

I've got one! I've got one! Thats an Asiatic lily. Mine does'nt even have big buds yet.
I found another one across the lane that i had forgot about. It'll be dug up soon and go in a pot.Don't know what color that one is.
Don't beleive the Siberian iris are invasive.In fact mine died out.
My Fairy Bells are blooming.I've got them next to a purple lantana. I love them together
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 27, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8523932

The tag said Asiatic Matrix Red. I planted six last Fall and they already multiplied. Want a couple, Jim and Vickie?
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8524228

Thanks but i have a couple of those.
I'm looking forward to see what lily i have across the road.
I've been cleaning house. Like really honest to goodness cleaning. Have found things I forgot i had.LOL
Have wondered where Crickets dog coller went.Not that she ever wears it anyway. If she goes into town.she goes in my arms.And i carry her rabies tags in my purse.
You guys in Alabama,North Carolina and Kentucky check in as soon as you can. We love you.
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 1, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8532464

Flowy flowers for everyone. Blue for you, Carrie. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 1, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8533401

Pretty, Debra I like the pink ones..
Vickie, lantana and fairy bells sound like a pretty combination, but I don’t think it would be possible to achieve that combination here. The fairy bells have disappeared for their summer siesta by the time our lantanas flower. Do Fairy Bells fold up in the heat of the afternoon there? They’ve already started doing that here. It is funny to me that oxalis are so sensitive to heat since I like to snag the leaves to chew when I am hot and thirsty. They are like chewy lemonade. (That might be a bad idea for you though, Vickie. The oxalic acid in them is said to be bad for those who are prone to kidney stones. What confuses me is there are things in the produce department of the grocery store that contain just as much oxalic acid. Do doctors warn people who suffer with kidney stones about those? Amaranth, Parsley, Chives, Garlic, Cassava melon, Rhubarb….) MK says the Creek ate the wild varieties of sorrel for much the same reason. They are naturally cooling and energizing. PJ thinks it’s nuts. He says he would be happy to provide me with Gatorade. He says he uses oxalic acid in the workshop to remove rust from metal. But, I only like Gatorade when I have the flu and I’m sure the oxalic acid in the workshop is quite a bit stronger than what is in the garden. MK says I should be fine as long as I don’t eat too many leaves, drink plenty of water and eat mineral rich foods after I’ve been “grazing.”
Moo-o-o-o.

~Nadine~

This message was edited May 1, 2011 9:38 PM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2011
11:58 PM

Post #8533681

The kidney surgeon that operated on me told me the only thing linked to kidney stone production was meats.I don't remember why.I've been trying to eat lots of veggies and less meat.I DO love fried chicken tho. I've always nibbled on some wild sour plants. I did'nt know the fairy bells were edible. I will try them out.
I don't like gatoraide period!
I drink lemonaide or other fruit juices instead. Which reminds me,Even tho my feet and legs are swelling, my hands are showing signs of dehydration.(probably CHF) So i need to drink more juices and less cokes.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 2, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8535609

Nadine, pink ones are Gaura. Ephemeral blooms when cut, but they make me feel good. :-)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 2, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8535767

I've heard where you live can also play a part in the development of kidney stones. Hernando County in central Florida is called the "kidney stone capitol of the world." You'll probably never hear the Florida Tourist Bureau using that as a claim to fame. :-) Most people theorize that it's caused by otherwise harmless minerals in the water since mineral build-up in house plumbing is also a local problem.
Kay's two eldest daughters grew up there and both had kidney stones as teenagers. One had such a serious problem she had to have surgery to remove it. Neither have had any troubles with kidney stones since they moved to different parts of the country. A famous (some might say infamous) fantasy writer from Hernando Co. had so much pain and grief with kidney stones, he actually wrote about the experience in the personal afterword of one of his books. (He likes to tell his fans what is going on in his life during the writing of his books and how he thinks it influenced the story.) That particular afterword probably did a lot for the sales of bottled water in central Florida. I know I called the Culligan man after someone showed it to me. (Jim)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 3, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8538606

Debra, I think I'm entering a pink phase. PJ survived my purple phase and my turquoise phase so I feel confident he will survive this one. I never much cared for pink before, but I've been working with it in the CanDo Garden and find it a calming color and more versatile than I had realized. Still not fond of hot pink. ~N~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2011
2:24 AM

Post #8538653

I'm the only one i know of up here that has kidney stones. So must be a me thing.Plus a weird kidney.But i will definately stay away from Hernando county.
I go thru color phases too but always love pink and red and yellow.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8543648

Where is everyone? This is scary to me.LOL
Vickie

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8544056

Sacquatch got em. :)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 6, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8544121

Here, Vickie. Me 'n Sasquatch been playin' in da dirt. :-) You okay?
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8544164

Doing fine here. The Amargia bunch has computer problems but will be back ASAP.
We can now bad mouth them with glee.
Vort, I'm pretty sure they have a large batch of CB seeds hidden out in a seacane patch.Think there is pink flowers growing there too TO MARK THE SPOT.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8547634

I'm here! Barely... my to-do list is really long. I've been ignoring it AND ya'll.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2011
9:35 PM

Post #8551381

Carrie, We wont let you ignore us too long.
Ya doing ok?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 14, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8562533

My most joyful time of year is now to June. All the hard work outside is rewarding me with surprises of things I'd even forgotten was in the ground. (Guess it's time for real plant markers. :-) This one is the surprise of lily bulbs thriving unattended in a pot for three years!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
1:40 AM

Post #8563579

I don't mark mine either. I love the surprises i get every year. That is a gorgeous red. I have a red lily but it is a lighter red.
Think it'll be warm enough to get out again tomorrow. Hurrah!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8564042

Hello, I'm still alive. Trying to keep my e-bay purchases alive, trying to write an article, trying to get my daughter ready for two (2) proms! Lots of trying!!!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 15, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8564178

hugs carrie :-))
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 15, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8564985

house faces north, this is west front, slowly taking shape

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 17, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8569593

Sorry, Vortreker, but you might want to take BF in for a shot when he gets home. He and Kay got in some sort of disagreement while they were fixing our internet and she bit him. I really thought I had broke her of that habit. It might also be a good idea to keep a close eye on the big guy when the moon is full. Side effects you know. (Jim).
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2011
1:36 AM

Post #8570889

Way to go Kay!!!!
So very glad you're back Jim.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8571368

Jim,
I wondered why he was frothing at the mouth and howling Mon. night at the full moon.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 19, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8574494

I luuuuuv my house and yard. :-) The dogs agree. You can just see two of them looking through the door.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8574613

Beautiful garden love

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8574845

Bf and I just had a slight misunderstanding. I ask him to connect the two orange wires. Who knew sasquatches were color-blind! I doubt anyone but Vortreker will even notice a difference in him. Silverware is a problem for most of us, but considering Bf’s table manners that won’t be a problem for him.
I'm told things are very neat looking at your house, Debra. I'm still dreaming of the day "neat" can be used to describe things around here. "Wild, but abundant is the best I'll pull off this year. The lilies had more than 12 flowers per stalk this year. That had me howling with joy., Kay*

Thumbnail by Amargia

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8574931

:)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 19, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8575007

VORT, after you make it clear to Squatch that you are the alpha, the leader of the pack, any side effects of his altercation with Mama Kay shouldn’t be a problem for you. Good luck. Just out of curiosity, should something unfortunate happen to you, who inherits your Chocolate basil? Vickie and I would be happy to act as your trustees, if you haven’t made other arrangements.
Is that the fluffy marshmallow dog peeking out the door, Debra? So cute! (≧∇≦) ~Nadine~

This message was edited May 19, 2011 10:50 PM

Thumbnail by Sansai87

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8575075

If anything "unfortunate" happens to me I have notified the local sheriff that cando and sansai are prime suspects.
Squatch is the executor of my will and he has kept a list,and checked it twice, of people that have been mean to him.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8576775

Hey there! sansai and cando will have ironclad alibies. I found Squatch a girlfriend.What more can he ask. Kay spoiled him rotten with Vinegar Slings.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8576865

Never again! Sas doesn't hold his Vinegar Sling very well, He was wearing the lamp shade after only half a bottle. I need to learn Debra's secret for getting him to behave on his visits. I have lots of digging he could help with.
If something unfortunate were to happen to Vortreker AND Sas, I suppose Sasquatch's estranged wife and kids in Arkansas would inherit? Kay*.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 21, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8577318

Mexican street-style tacos, Kay. He has a secret weakness for them and one of the best vendors in the area is six blocks from my house. Sooooo...
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 21, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8578356

7:30 this morning on the way to work. Made the day a little better. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8579831

Oh, Debra, pretty pretty!

Hi ladies and gentlemen. I was at a jetBlue conference in Orlando (DISNEYWORLD!) w/ DH and DD#1. What a place for a conference, and they still had 13 hour days, just in a resort. ???? Anyway my daughter and I had a lovely time but there was no internet there.

And my birthday present (for lasting a very long time) is a week in Cancun. Dunno if they have free internet at our particular hotel or not. So if I disappear again that's why.

Btw my other daughter was UNinvited to prom #2!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 22, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8580142

Carrie, how fun for you! :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 23, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8582803

Still have viable Pansies and it's almost June. Amazing!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8583278

Carrie, You will have so much fun.Injoy every second.
Debra, I'm stumped. What is the yellow flower?
Guess who Squatch's wife and kids in Arkansas best friend is? I may have to put out a contract on poor ole Sasquatch.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 23, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8583346

Asiatic Lily. Looks different from straight above. :-)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8583357

That is a big surprise. Thought there was a new daisy out and about. LOL
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 23, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8583460

Vickie, consider what would happen if some credible person were to report sighting a mysterious, ape-like creature in north Texas. I bet all the hunters in the Pacific Northwest would quickly descend on Texas. Clean and simple. BTW: Will you be passing through N. Texas on your upcoming trip? Would you pass anywhere near ..oh-h-h..say..Potsboro. ;-)
Debra, I noticed broom on a list of plants that grow well in sandy soil. Sorry, if I'm off target here. (Depression has an adverse effect on the memory.) Didn't you mention once you had broom growing there. If so. do you like it? ~Nadine~

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8584094

Vickie rides a broom? :)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 24, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8584106

Nadine, dunno if she is, but Pottsboro is only about an hour northwest of me. :-) Had Scotch Broom one year, it didn't come back. This Warminster Broom just got in March. Have to see if it does well.

The only target, here, I know of is the one you aim at that particular day. LOL

Hope this photo makes someone's day a little better.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8584308

Wow---what a gorgeous flower
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 24, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8584310

Vort, I think she's trading the broom in for a motorcycle. Rubeus Hagrid is selling his.
Debra, that one would make anyone smile. Do you know its name? (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 24, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8584731

It was sold to me as "Feeding Frenzy" Daylily. The grower reaffirmed today that is the name, but all the web photos show something completely different. And, Jim? It's not pink. LOL
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 24, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8585013

But this one is... :-D

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 24, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8585019

This one is not... LOL

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 29, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8594924

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 30, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8597562

Lantana New Gold

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2011
1:19 AM

Post #8598525

Beautiful Debra.Do you have Blue Jeans Lantana?
Vort,I ride a broom when i come to Texas! Can't stand those long straight roads and I got to many warning tickets for speeding.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 31, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8598973

I do not have that one, Vickie. Like the name. Getting car serviced tomorrow so be all ready to go on Friday. :-)

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 31, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8599187

Kicking myself for not labeling more of last year's plantings. Look at this one!!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 31, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8600001

Even at end of day, the yellow is still outstanding.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 1, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8602394

13 Daylilies with open blooms today. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8603173

LOL! IS THAT RED OR IS IT RED!
Mine still are'nt blooming. Lots of buds tho.I'll just have to injoy yours for now. I don't regret not knowing the names of mine. I love to be surprised.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 2, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8603610

I do sometimes. Have a Daylily that's been in the ground for five years. Don't remember where I got it or anything about it. Always puts up leaves, but has never, ever, evvvvvver bloomed. Until today and it's a beautiful dark red. Hopefully, it will still be in good shape when I get home so I can photograph it.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 4, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8608717

How can anyone not love daylilies. It is so dry the grass crunches underfoot, but the daylilies are blooming their little hearts out. Gotta love that.
Kay says if she doesn't know the name of a plant, it will be inevitable a visitor will ask, "What's that one called?" and point to the unknown plant. It's tough being a know-it-all. No one expects me to know the names of all of the plants here. I can simply enjoy...and point any questioners Kay's way. LOL. Having someone around with an obcessive need to know everything comes in handy. (Jim)

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8611326

Pretend-to-know-nothing husbands come in handy too. You can claim any garden blunders were their idea and it does no harm to their reputation while it keeps your own pretend-to-know-it-all reputation intact. .
One of the greatest things about gardening is that you can NEVER know it all so it doesn't get boring. Curious visitors keep me reasonably humble and on my toes.
Do you still want a catalpa tree, Vickie, The one I cut down re-sprouted BIG TIME. It is already over 6' tall. I welcome its resurrection. I cut it down because it didn't look good. It is lush and happy now. I think I will leave it be and move the little bay tree I prematurely replaced it with. Much easier. The bay is only 2' tall. It would make more sense to have the bay tree in the herb garden anyway. I think there are some good transplant size off-shoots on the catalpa I will need to remove. I never imagined cutting it down to ground level would revive it. There is always something new and surprising in a garden. I'll askJim to take a pic so you can see if it is what you have in mind veing as there are different types of catalpa. k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 5, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8611353

Kay, if it is a few days before Vickie responds, she is in Longview this week.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8611479

If that's Longview, Texas----SHE IS TOOOOOOOOO CLOSE. :)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 5, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8611489

Dug up a bunch of stuff today to ship to NY. Almost 100 this afternoon, got too hot. Feel like $%*&, but also feel pretty good that it is done. Some of the digging was Daylilies to ship and to share with my sister. Planted a couple of the new ones, an Agastache Black Adder, Echinacea Milkshake, Baptisia Australis, a Red Velvet Achillea, a Mexican Heather, and a couple of Marigolds (still have nearly a dozen each of Marigolds and Heathers in little pots waiting to be given away or put in containers). Watered a little. Only-voluntarily-supposed to water on Thursdays and Sundays, but snuck in some yesterday, so didn't have to do that much today. And I hear thunder outside. Small t-storm in my area maybe will rain on my...well, not parade, but maybe my flower beds. LOL

One of the guys from work came by and said he can grind out the stump in the back yard with a rental machine. Yea! [applause, applause] Can work on fixing up that area next year. Put in dog teeter-totters or sumpin. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 5, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8611499

That would be it. LOL We are trying to meet up before she heads back. Missed each other in Greenville Friday, but betcha I could find her somewhere on I20 between here and there.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 6, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8613067

Vickie claims she's visiting relatives, but surely you know Vort that she is reconnoitering for the GrannyGoons. They are planning their next assault. High alert status is advised.
Debra, do you know the name of the orange and yellow daylily in that photo that looks like it has alternating petal colors? It really grabs the eye. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 6, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8613091

Frans Hals. I like it, too. :-) Have a bunch, will send you one with the others in September.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8613093

Thanks seacanepain ---We laid low--She passed within 10 miles of here and she never knew it. :)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 6, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8613094

Close up, Frans Hals. The red seems to be more/less intense according to how much sun it gets.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 6, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8613167

Four-year old NOID Daylily, blooming for first time. Smells good, too. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 6, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8613789

Thanks, Debra. That daylily would work well in a transition area. There is a spot where a working veggie garden done in traditional harvest colors, Nadine’s corner blazing with sunny yellow and my red, white & blue garden all meet. Nadine is right when she says there will eventually be a garden space here to fit every mood and taste, but getting different looks to flow together without being jarring is going to be a challenge. The repetition of certain plants keeps things flowing and evergreen breaks help, but when you can blend the color schemes somehow in the transition spaces, it rocks. The transition spaces become garden spaces in and of themselves. Not just places to pass through.
Just out of curiosity, I checked your red mystery daylily against the reds you sent Amargia’s way last year. (Apache Wardance’, Passion for Red’ and ‘Moses’ Fire’. It didn’t look like it matched any of those. Oh well, every garden needs a mystery. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 6, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8613968

Sometimes, it's just serendipity that makes the transition spaces stopping places in their own right. The garden will tell you what it wants. (Trust me, I only hear voices when I'm out digging in the dirt!)

Yes, every one does. And, as my brain acquires a thicker Teflon coating each year so I can't remember squat without expensive drugs, the mysteries deepen. LOL

I've seen the Travelocity Traveling Gnome available and might just get one of his clones to help keep watch over the flow in my gardens. Think the Texas Summer is a bit much for the fairies. Need a whirligig, too. Really cool one in front of a quick lube, of all places. One day will remember to go in and ask where they got it. Or see if they will sell it to me. :-)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 8, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8618873

Moses' Fire. Seems lighter than last year when it was still in a container. But I like it this way, too.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 8, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8618876

Vortreker, Vickie is headed back to Arkansas in the next day or two. Watch out for low flying Granny Goons...

Happy Birthday, Vickie!!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8624148

Am back home. Flew over VORTS house and dropped a bunch of wet bear fur. Bear is shedding.
Wait till VORT starts a fire in his B-B-QUE.PHEW!!!! LOL
Saw a police helicopter. Think they might be getting wise to my speeding broom. Wonder if i can find a speeding rocket broom.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8627385

Wow! Cancun was AWESOME and we had the BEST time! I'm back home too.

This is DH and I at Chichen-Itza. Amazing...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8627389

No it's not.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 13, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8627539

Welcome home, Carrie! We missed you. More photos, please... :-)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8631484

Glad you're back also.definately more pictures.Did you learn any spanish? How many plants did you smuggle in? Did you have a taco salad? An American,Spanish dish thats oh so good. Did you find a real Mexican sarape to bring back? Or flower pot? Or anything? Tell us all.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 17, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8636291

Think the boss liked his early Father's Day present. He sent me this photo on his way home. :-)

Happy Father's Day to all the men and women who act as fathers to children, be they natural, adopted, or courtesy.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 17, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8636644

Is this your bossman's first daylily? Are you trying to make a hemerocallis addict of him too? :-)
You think maybe they locked Carrie up until she wrote an article? Kay is threatening to do just that to Nadine until she finishes an article she agreed to write for a gaming magazine. Nadi has always written for fun. This writing with a deadline doesn’t come naturally to her.
Since Nadine seems to need Kay’s work ethic and professionalism to get things done in a timely manner and Kay’s writing is often too dry and academic for the casual reader, they are talking about creating a pseudonym and collaborating. They’ve done it before minus the pseudonym and the result was better than anything either produces alone. They may be on to something, but really…Faye Amarante? Where did they come up with that name? Heaven help the world of SF and Fantasy. LOL.
It is raining again. (That’s good. We needed it. I’ve discovered something funny about Fenny though. Somewhere in her mongrel genes there must be some sort of herding dog. When it storming, Fenny tries to keep her herd… (Pack?)...together in an area where she can see us all. Evidently, she considers Kay, Nadine and I part of her herd as well as Tater-dog. She tries to keep Kay inside as long as there is thunder. (Kay has no problem with working in a drizzle because it is cooler.) If Nadine tries to go into the art room to work, Fenny drags her back into the room the rest of us are in. I’ve noticed she grumbles and whines and seems hyped up, in general, when there is thunder and lightning. I never realized what she was trying to do until today. I thought it was funny. When she finally had us all where she could keep an eye on us, she climbed into her bed, put her head down on her paws and gave a big, doggy sigh of contentment. (Jim
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 17, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8636910

It is and, nah, he's a lot more likely to start looking for anything named "Awesome Bob" than he is going for Daylilies. He IS replanting his front flower beds, but his mom lives with him and the kids, and is supervising that job.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

June 18, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8638748

Debra, I know I would appreciate a grumpy boss. Thursday’s remain job hunting days, but no luck even at entry level jobs. Many retired people are going back to work so I find myself in competition with those who have 20 years or more of experience. The health insurance issue that was the one advantage of hiring young people is becoming a non-issue. If an employer can avoid paying for the higher medical cost that comes with older employees, they would rather hire the more experienced person. I’m told that is good in the larger scheme of things. As a country, we need to keep older people productive as long as possible because of their greater numbers. The 60-somethings don’t seem to be all that thrilled to be returning to entry level jobs after they had retired, however. This transition time is hard on everyone.
I love the look of ‘When Pigs Fly’, but I remember when PJ chewed MK out because she spent $75 on a kava-kava plant. Pigs ain’t flyin’ here anytime soon. Let me know if you see that one go on sale. I had a Miss Piggy hand puppet when I was little. She had a bad habit of sassing adults when she was on my hand. lol. I’m not much on hot pink though. I want a DL called ‘Miss Piggy’s Dress’. My beloved Miss Piggy had a long lavender dress and matching long gloves. She was a fashion Diva, wasn’t she? Lol.
Vickie, would you contribute your two cents worth to some writing research? MK and I need a writing project we can work together on. While I find writing a critique of the differences between games produced by Japanese, European and American game developers fascinating, the subject makes MK’s mind sort of glass over. We’ve decided to re-open the Different Shades of Green blog to polish Faye Amarante’s style. (BTW: Amarante means a flower that never fades in Japanese. I think MK just pulled Faye out of the air because it sounded cool.) I thought I would kick it off with an informative post on mosquitoes and the plants that are alleged to repel them. A very timely article now that rain has come. MK has most of them growing in the Fragrance Garden around the high deck. As a moveable mosquito feast, I’ve developed strong opinions about which ones actually help and which ones are interesting plants, but don’t do much to repel mosies. At least, they don’t work in our region.
I read somewhere the mosquitoes have to be desperate before they will bite someone with diabetes. But, MK says that is a half truth we don’t want to spread. She claims mosquitoes only avoid people who have UNTREATED diabetes. If you’re a diabetic and mosquitoes don’t bite you, it is a very bad sign. That is the real secret of vinegar sling. To a mosquito, it makes your skin chemically read like a diabetics and the biting mosquito doesn’t need your blood to preserve its own life, just to make little mosquitoes so it usually moves on to another victim. She went on about ketones and other medical stuff I didn’t really follow. The gist was that a diabetic who has their blood sugar under control is as likely to be bit as anyone else. What MK says sounds valid, but I can’t find much on the subject. Can you give me some firsthand input? You’re a diabetic, right? Have you ever noticed mosquitoes will be biting other people and not biting you?
Sheri, the glads I just moved don’t look so good. I’m sure they will come back from the bulbs next spring. I’ll send you some plants in fall unless you would rather work with bulbs. They evidently don’t like to be moved mid-season and go dormant the remainder of the year anyway.
Welcome home, Carrie. PJ misunderstood. MK just threatened to chain my writer’s muse to the keyboard. Writer’s muses do seem to be lazy and undisciplined creatures. :-) I hope music muses behave better. ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2011
12:43 AM

Post #8639562

Nadene, When i was young,mosquitoes never bothered me. Now they drive me nutz.My blood sugar is semi under controll.I don't even check it much anymore,which makes my doctor mad. Then chiggers loved me and now not so much. So have'nt a clue. I am blood type A- and have wondered if that made a difference as blood types - and+ coagulates when mixed.Both girls were positive and we were watched carefully when they were born.But no reactions.

I don't know if there is much material out there but I'd love to know more about the dogs Native Americans had. also more detailed info about the methods used in gardening by Native Americans. Kudzu and why it's not used more.What all can it be used for?
Why can some people write the most descriptive and intresting things and others can't put a whole sentence together?
Would global warming or global cooling really be a catastrophe? Why?
Could anyone learn to love gardening. Is it something inate in our minds or something learned?
I never quit asking why. LOL

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8642578

That sounds like a writer's mindset to me, Vickie. Have you considered your own blog? I can imagine "Vickie's Question of the Week"... or Month", if weekly is too taxing. You want it to stay fun and not become a chore.
I'm not a very good writer, but I keep plugging away at it everyday because I think it helps keep me mentally sharper as I age. And, who knows, maybe one day I will be a good writer with enough practice. I leave it to Nadine to keep Faye entertaining. What writing background I have is in technical writing wehre the goal was to be clear and precise. Instruction manuals don't have to be entertaining. Perhaps,, people would actually read them more often, if they were.
The wonderful thing about having an inquiring mind is in the process of digging up the answers to a certain question, you end up digging up a dozen more questions. That means there is always something to write about. :-) k*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8652619

Yes, they have locked me up until I finish this article (Is Buying Plants On EBay a Good Idea?) yes, and here's how... plus a little tour of all the different ways to acquire plants on DG.

Mostly DH took pictures of me in bikinis and of birds and many of them are blurry. None of me with blurry birds!

Here, I think this is the two of us in front of Chichen-Itza.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8652682

Did I tell you about the snorkeling? We weren't sure I'd be able to snorkel - I lack a lot of normal coordination - and the snorkeling tours were kind of expensive (if it turned out I couldn't do it) so we picked a glass-bottom boat tour with optional snorkeling. They kept saying "Are you SURE you want this 2 pm tour? The visibility at 10 am is slightly better." But we kept saying no, no, we want the 2 pm tour. The chance of our getting to the Marina by 9:30 when we didn't even know where it was, and it tales us a while to get going in the morning ... anyway, they finally let us book a 2 pm cruise. Turns out we were the ONLY TWO PEOPLE ON THE BOAT! So we said we'd really like to try snorkeling but I don't know if I can do it or not. Fine, fine. So when we got out to the reef they have like these broad steps that lead down to the water, so I just bumped down on my butt (down is always easier, isn't it) and popped in the water. No problemo.

Then he (Diego the guide) showed us how to put the mask and flippers on, and then he had a life saver ring and we held onto that and he just towed us around. Oh yeah, we were wearing life jacket-type thingies. But I COULD do the breathing part, just breath in and out through your mouth and not through your nose. We got towed around for about 90 min.!

And The Most Amazing Part was after we got back in the boat, Pedro (the captain, who spoke more English than Diego) said we get 5 or 6 people in wheelchairs a week. You are the only one who has ever gone snorkeling!

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8652843

Congrats carrie on the snorkeling---sounds like you guys had fun.
PlantiMcPlanter
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8652927

What a great story Carrie! Did the heat bother you much?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8653456

I enjoy heat until it makes it hard to think. That happens seldom enough at home, and I find heat relaxes a lot if the spasticity I'm fighting all the time. On the other hand, cold seems to CAUSE spasticity and stiffness. I'd rather have heat.

Thank you, Vortreker! We did have a splendid time! DH said "this makes up for all the walks on the beach we never got to take.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 25, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8653480

Carrie, that sounds like a wonderful adventure. I think walking on the beach is over-rated. Sand in the shoes and all that.

If heat helps and cold hurts why do you live in Maine? Comw down here and our summer heat will melt you.

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8653514

I don't live in Maine! I live in Massachusetts! LOL!! People can never tell the "M" states apart. How do you know I don't live in Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri or Montana? I guess those are all pretty cold except Missouri.

Katie, access to home health care. short and simple. We would have moved to N.C. earlier this year when DH got the job offer except for the fact that with our income and my disability, North Carolina thinks I should be in a nursing home and Massachusetts think I should be able to stay at home. I think when my mother dies (hopefully quite a while) and DH retires (2014) we may/will reconsider the where we live question altogether.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 25, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8653521

Adventure Woman Carrie! I am very glad you had the experience and that both you and your DH had a wonderful time. :-)

Hi Katie!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

June 27, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8658936

That sounds like it was a blast, Carrie. I want PJ to spend more time in the water when we camp out at the beach over Independence Day.
Have you read the book “This is Your Brain on Music?” I thought it was AWESOME and I'm not big on reading non-fiction.
http://www.salon.com/books/review/2006/09/05/levitin
~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8660498

It was just awesome all around! And I am SO glad we had a cheap all-inclusive. We had a healthy breakfast every day, we didn't have to think about lunch unless we wanted to, same for dinner. But this was definitely bottom of the pile cheap. We had roast chicken for dinner, inevitably we had something featuring chopped chicken for lunch the next day and chicken soup the third. But that's how I would cook, so ...

Nadine,,I am certainly aware of the book; we own it and I have read lots of it. I've even given it as a gift. As an over-educated academic-type, I kept finding fault with his research. However, anything that promotes music as an interesting and powerful force is GOOD, I believe. YAY MUSIC!!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

June 30, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8665024

I put this one the "Today, I am thankful for..." thread, but I drew it for this thread so I thought it should be here.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 7:56 PM
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 30, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8665050

Thank you, Nadine. And thanks for the message on the other thread about Vickie. Was becoming concerned. :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

June 30, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8665101

I'm beginning to wonder if they allow you to post the same pic twice.
Yep. they do.

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8666579

Explain? And about Vickie, too?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 1, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8666769

When gas prices jumped up recently, Vickie was joking about buying a motorcycle to save on gas. I tried to imagine her as a 70-something "motorcycle mama."
PJ told Vickie on another thread if he didn't see a post from her soon, he was going to call and check on her. Still no post from her so he called. She is okay, but having computer problems.
This is two likenesses down for the Granny Goons Gang "Wanted" posters. I know what Debra looks like now so I guess she is next.
~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8668259

Ohhhhhh. Now I see. Can we put them all onto one poster that we can fit on a T-shirt (I just can't give up on that dumb idea)? Like a grid, or a row or column?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 2, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8668330

Like individual "Wanted" posters, Carrie? :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 2, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8668474

I did Carrie's as a classic "Wanted" poster. I sent it to her Dmail though. I think her DH got a kick out of it.
I should have drawn some plants strapped to Vickie's motorcycle.. I was thinking something along the lines of chocolate basil stolen from Vortreker's top secret hidden horde of the stuff. Maybe , with her bear riding shotgun in a sidecar. :-) I'd have to check out Vort's thread to see what choc. basil looks like. Now. there's a DG group that ought to have their own t-shirts. lol.
Will you share your pics with me, Katiebear and Sheri, or are you going to leave it to my imagination. lol. Don't worry. I keep things vague. I mean, if they caught the Granny Goons I would be out of my mascot job. ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 2, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8668571

My pack of dogs numbers five now. Think I need two side cars.

kb
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 2, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8668990

How about a car like the one that belonged to “Bone Woman” in the stories? A silver or light gray car with bullet holes in the door. Plenty of room for the dogs. lol. Miss Helen told us kids Bone Woman stories on a long car trip. I don’t remember a lot of the details, but I remember the car because we kids kept an eye out for silvery gray cars all the way to Tampa. That is where a kid we met at McDonald’s told us there were no wolves or coyotes in Florida. The story went over big in a car full of girls, but that broke the stories spell.
For those who’ve never heard Bone Woman and the Wild Womenstories, the premise is Bone Woman travels around in said car collecting the bones of coyotes and wolves. When she has a complete skeleton, she does her magic. She chants and breathes over the bones and they turn into her “daughters.” Eternally young women who can take the forms of wolves or coyotes.
Coming from Miss Helen, I always assumed Bone Woman was a Native American tale. MK believes the stories are updated versions of old Mexican folktales. Perhaps, you and the dogs could borrow Bone Woman’s car, Katie. ;-)
Are they big dogs? I’m having trouble finding someone to dog-sit Fenny while we are all gone for a few days. People are scared of her because she is so big. It’s frustrating because Fenny is such a big baby. She won’t even go outside alone tonight because the nearby Army post is setting off fireworks. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 2, 2011
9:48 PM

Post #8669005

Nadine, there ARE wolves and coyotes in Florida. Although the Red Wolves reached extinction, they are slowly being reintroduced and I think the Bone Woman has a special place for them.

Maybe you can recreate the spell?

Deb

http://www.seacrestwolfpreserve.org/
http://www.nsis.org/wildlife/mamm/fox.html
http://www.floridiannature.com/RedWolves.htm
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 2, 2011
10:36 PM

Post #8669026

I know there are Wild Women in Florida too. Anyone who has been on a Florida beach during Spring Break can verify that. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 3, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8669873

Ain't that the truth.

NOID Firecracker Color for the Fourth.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8671379

So we can squeeze us all onto one Tshirt. Nadine, I forgot that you sent me that. I'll have to download it to THIS computer now.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8671463

Here it is. My hair is NOT blond but otherwise all the details are accurate. I have to turn the size on my screen way up to reed all my info -- very funny!

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 4, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8672096

Op-p-ps, I’m sorry about the blond dye job. I know better. I must have done that one while I was still getting the hang of art programs. I guess I forgot to put it back right. . I like to work with colored pencils, but the colors aren’t very vibrant. I’ve started scanning my drawings in and adjusting the colors on Microsoft Paint.
I do remember toying with the program trying to get the right color for your hair. It was hard because light can seriously alter what color your hair appears. In some of the available photos it looks dark sable and in others more of a chestnut brown.

Thumbnail by Sansai87

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 4, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8672141

Okay, is it time for a better art program for Nadine or a new screen for me? Carrie looks brunette on Nadi's screen, but red-haired on mine. lol.
Debra, I'm not sure if I'm seeing the color of 'Ruby Fantasy' right. The red looks sort of coral red on my display. Is that the reality? Very different from the first bloom, for sure. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 4, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8672152

I see brown-red hair. :-)

Browny true red is closer, Jim. Think should wait through summer and see what it does. The color might keep changing!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8672338

The second picture is the color I'm aiming for! The problem is that I (of course) dye my hair and sometimes it comes out better than other times and I like it best when the dye is half worn off and the gray streaks look like golden-brown highlights.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 9, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8682595

I can’t think of a way to get all the individual ‘Wanted” posters on a tee and have it look good. I think we’d have to do a “Wanted’ poster for the entire Granny Goons Gardening Gang. Perhaps, a single image of the GGGG making a fast escape as the image with a list of their “crimes” on back? What are you all guilty of anyway?
GGGG on the run:
Carrie in a super charged w/c with a plant in a blue pot in her lap. .
PJ in his non-motorized w/c pulled by Tater-dog and Fenny with MK holding on to the handles of the w/c on her wicked skateboard. The one that says “I miss my ex-, but my aim is improving” on the bottom. :-) She uses it to sit on in the garden when she has to work low.
Sheri flying overhead on a roc sized bluebird.
Vickie and Katie on their motorcycles with companions. I imagine putting Katiebear in a red outfit that hints at her Santa Claus role, but more of a “Santa meets Zorro” sort of thing.
I can’t quite picture Debra as a biker chick or doing a Calamity Jane thing on horseback. I did seriously consider the latter because of the west Texas association. But, have you ever even ridden a horse, Deb? (I mean I grew up surrounded by water, but can barely swim.) Maybe, YOU could borrow Bone Woman’s car or a convertible and carry the overflow of canine and feline companions in the back seat? Along with a few daylilies, of course. ROFL. It’s been raining all day. My imagination is on overdrive. Off to do something useful and ID this guy. ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
10:04 PM

Post #8685153

LOL Nadene! Texans no longer ride horses they drive BIG pickups.Except Debra don't.
Wish i could get up enough nerve to get a motorcycle. The whole family has threatened me if i do.They fear for everyone elses safety.LOL
I have a tee shirt with the map of Arkansas on it. It continues all around the shirt. I want my picture under the armpit.
Loved your mental pictures.
My crimes are many and varied. Am a well known plant thief. Also a rebel rouser.Have broken every driving law known to man.Threatened to kick a man for abusing a dog.chew people out for abusing animals.Threatened to wring the neck of a telephone salesman.Used bad language to same. Lied to a policeman.(That really is a crime) Tried to get people to march against unfair prices. Shuld this get around,I shall deny it.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 11, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8685663

Hi Vickie!! Welcome back.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8686788

"Oh, Officer, I didn't realize I was going so fast." lol. k,

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8686889

GG forgot to mention pimping out bears to Squatches
Snicker

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8687328

A pink drop-top cadilac, hat with a peacock feather in the band, elegant cigarette holder and. most importantly, a Suatch fur stole? Vickie, can I be your driver? I'm not so keen on the skateboard thing. k.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 11, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8687348

Can I be the rhinestone-glasses, poodle skirted, faithful companion?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8689105

OMG may I have some cheese and whine? It is unbelievably hot, 98 degrees and 65 percent humidity. I just made that up -- I know it's in the 90s and muggy as a buggy. If I ever denied the correlation between heat and MS I take it all back -- iy's real. I used to just melt in this kind of heat but now I melt and get loopy and spastic.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 12, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8689129

Of course, you can, Carrie. That temperature is unusual for your area and I am sorry you have to endure it. It's bad in a lot of areas. One of the daylily sellers I buy from is in western Kansas and not only have her temps been above 100 for some time, her well ran dry and she can't water the inventory. No rain, no water means no business. I promised to do rain dances and send smoke signals and have prayer circles for her. :/
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 13, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8690160

I will have Nadine mow in the name of Kansas. It starts raining everytime it is her turn to mow. :-)
It looks to be the mid-south and mid-west that are getting hammered hardest by the heat. The only odd thing for us is the rain and humidity. This is normally the driest part of summer. There are pink oxalises blooming. Those have disappeared entirely by the end of May for as long as I’ve been here. I guess the almost daily rains are keeping the soil temps cooler. We’ve got it much easier than other parts of the country, but a lot of plants are developing fungal and other problems caused by constant high humidity. My apples have some odd looking growths on the trunk. The gardeners themselves are having problems too. Rashes and other skin conditions like impetigo are a concern. (Your DH can tell you how bad those can be, Carrie. It was a common complaint for those who served in `Nam.) You can sniff out those who have to work much outdoors. They smell of vinegar. That’s what everyone from herbalist to the Mayo Clinic recommend to keep fungal skin infections at bay. Ode de Vinegar is Kay’s usual summer fragrance, but it’s popular with everyone this year. :-)
I learned something about plant ID searches using Google. If a plant has a common name like “Naked Ladies” make sure to put “plant” or “flower” in the search bar. lol. (Jim)
Lycoris squamigera (a.k.a. Naked Ladies)

Thumbnail by seacanepain

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8690259

Oh, those Ladies are lovely!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 13, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8690784

yeah, betcha that was an interesting results page, before adding "flower." :-) i should have gotten some of the bulbs in this spring's co-op. will be sure to get some in the next one.

nadine, mow mow mow. or at least just push the mower around a little bit. robin is a nice woman and needs rain badly.

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8693479

Jim, I was seriously rolling on the floor laughing. I can feel for you. I did the same thing once googling live webcams. I backed out in a hurry and later came across a teachers webcam site for students and search from there now. I have the red Naked Ladies. Does anyone want any when i find out where they are.My pink oxalis is still blooming some too.It gets watered every day or so. We are under a burn ban and outside water ban. I'm taking sponge baths and watering my pot plants.
Ode d vinager is wonderful stuff.Fleas and ticks don't like it either. Don't seem to phase mosquitoes tho.
The heat is awesome 100* up here on the mountain 107* in the valley.Am sleeping days and working nights
Sometimes it helps to put ice in a towel and wrap it around your neck and sholders.
I'll do some rain dances for Kansas and all of us.
Carrie, I've learned a new expression "Muggy as a buggy" I like it.
Kay, Would'nt dream of tripping out in my pink Cadilac cross country without all my good friends. Tell you what i need A good navigator, must be able to read paper maps sideways,upside down, be able to spot unusual things to see at least 10 miles ahead.(I hate
GPS and changing roads at 90mph)My car has a built in compass so we'd never get seriously lost.I never carry a radar detector as policemen frown on them,and you'll never talk your way out of a ticket.Must be able to give sunny smiles on command to policeman.
In the backseat,I'll need a gas station, cold drink,eatery,museum and motel spotter too.Must have discriminating but cheap tastes.
Need someone else to keep an eye out for old stately houses and gardens and plant farms.
Need someone else to keep us in line and make quick decisions when we all want to do something other than what anyone else wants to do.
Since Squatch will also be in the backseat, we need someone to see that he is comfortable with food, water and conversation.He does not get sidetrips with bears EVER! If Vort decides to come, He'll have to ride in the trunk. But we will leave a line of conversation open for him.
See everything is worked out perfectly. I suggest we leave in October.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 15, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8694000

You BETTER have big smiles on demand for the police while you are watering those "pot plants". ROFL. I've heard they frown on that too. ~N~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8699151

Oh, I am navigatrix to the great and the near-great, I'll be your navigator, Vicki, and I'll have AAA books for wherever we might be going! DH calls me map-girl, or maybe Map Girl (with her side kick, driver boy). AAA knows the oddest little places to go (the alligator farm instead of Disneyworld, the Burl Forest instead of Disneyland).

Yes, Jim, DH still has the constant foot rot from Nam, but I didn't know the itchy skin was related. The things you learn on here!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 18, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8700440

Vickie, I would love to trade with you if your red naked ladies are Lycoris radiata, but Kay says 'red Naked Ladies is another common name for Belladonna lilies, as well.)
The Lycoris radiata we have are rose pink. I want some of the red and white for the Soldiers Garden. Between the pale pink of the Naked Ladies, pink crepe myrtle, rose periwinkle, echinacea and the unexpected flush of pink oxalis, the CanDo Garden looks like a garden Mattell designed for Barbie. Nadine worked pink into many of the containers she painted too.. They are going for a shifting rainbow of pastels and tell me the dominant color will shift to lavender in a few weeks. Looking forward to it. :-)
So squatch won't be turned into a stole? That's good. I guess Debra can keep him stuffed full of enchiladas and the like to keep him docile.
If Kay's gonna be your driver, you'll need a navigator of Carrie's skill. DW once told me she knew a shortcut to the nearby town of Echo via some twisty back roads. We ended up in Columbus, GA. lol. Before meds, I called her a bird brain because her sense of direction was as flawless as any birds. I've had to go to GPS because my wife is no longer a bird brain. That's okay. Medicated and with a garden to tend, she no longer has the tongue and temper of a harpy either. (Jim)

Pic: Rose Periwinkle

Thumbnail by seacanepain

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8700898

Now, I have a butterfly brain. Echo doesn't have a botanical garden, but Columbus does. I may not be able to decern cardinal directions anymore, but I know where to find the flowers. ;-) k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 18, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8700905

Are we ready for a new thread?
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2011
12:20 AM

Post #8701061

It's done.
http:davesgarden.com/forums/t/1197610/
OK! IT'S NOT DONE. wHAT DID I DO WRONG!!!
HELP!
I used not to have any problems. Must be old age or too much traveling with Sasquatch.
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 19, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8701304

It didn't like the backslash at the end. :-D

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1197610

This message was edited Jul 19, 2011 8:26 AM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2011
2:49 AM

Post #8705458

Thanks Debra. Can I blame it on Sasquatch?LOL

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8705710

Why not? Squatch get's blamed for everything else. :)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 21, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8705715

There is a new thread. Stop posting here. kb
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8710372

Yes maam Katie, :)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 23, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8710380

OK, then. kb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America