Post #8398866

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1135073/#new

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

October 13, 2010
02:36 PM

Post #8154196

Welcome to Practical Matters #8. Here, we discuss the day-to-day challenges of gardening and outdoor living when you are dealing with some sort of physical limitation. It is a place to share problems and seek out potential solutions. A place to vent frustrations and share the joys of the garden and our successes. We even manage to stay on topic sometimes. lol.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 1, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8401118

Nadine, I was thinking of you today. Planted a Cherry Brandy Gaura, two Scent First Passion Dianthus, and a Society Garlic. All are supposed to be good for bees. :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 3, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8404970

I'm going to try some Society Garlic. It is one of those flowers that bridge spring and summer. There is a period of a couple weeks during the transition when not a lot is blooming. Society Garlic should fill that nicely and it might keep deer out of the veggies nearby. PJ says he wants to plant some underneath his apple trees. lol. Last year the deer ate almost all the apples in one night. Leaving only one apple in the very top of the tree.
The flowers here were hit hard by little boys picking bouquets for their grandma. Mimi Kay just said thank you and told them how dandelions made the best bouquets. I guess that is one way to protect the landscaping and get rid of dandelions at the same time. It could backfire later though. I can just imagine one of these boys at 16 or so bringing his GF a bouquet of dandelions. MK assures me she will correct them before then. :-) ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 3, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8405283

It's also supposed to be drought tolerant and good for eating.

My grandmother did the same thing with my dad when he was a kid. He was picking all of her Irises. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8406386

Folks, new article today (on home page) and what do you think of Raleigh-Durham NC? DH might get transferred!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 4, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8406794

Everyone I have ever talked with from Raleigh-Durham says it is great. Obviously would have a more moderate winter temperature than where you are currently located. It is one of the big national tech/research hubs. World renowned medical facilities. Lots of great schools. Good mix of sophistication and rusticity. Gorgeous scenery close by. AND only 10 hours by Interstate from Kay and Jim! You guys could meet in the middle. :-)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 4, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8407323

Don't you also have some family in Atlanta, Carrie? That new GS? Or, am I more confused than usual.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8408367

Yes, we do, Jim, the new GS! The real question is, do they have something like MA's PCA program down there. Debra all of that is exciting, it's more like CAN I GET PCA'S DOWN THERE???? You who I need to talk to is Sheri!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 6, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8411068

Carrie, maybe NC has something similar? Hope so, anyway.

Kay, are you still recovering from GC visit? (hug)

Nadine, you is a good auntie. :-)

Jim, swear I am not INTENTIONALLY in the 'pink' conspiracy. :-D

It has been a good weekend. First time in forever that I had energy to work outside both days. Yesterday, planted a Banana Cream Daisy and a Wood's Pink Aster. Dug up a pruned-to-no-end Artemisia and replaced it with a dwarf white Buddleia. Made myself be absolutely ruthless and chuck the misshapen toady thing on the pile for the waste trucks instead of planting it somewhere else. Found that the Broom I got had separate "trunks" with separate root systems and, so, looks like I maaaaaybe ended up with four separate plants. Put them along the Rose fence. Fingers crossed. Today, planted three dwarf Yaupon Holly shrubs, two Mexican Feather grasses, dug orange Cannas to send to a member in SC, fed the two new Roses. Pulled nasty weedy grass both days. The Baptisia are coming up, even most of the ones that were left in containers. Fingers crossed on them, too. Most of the Coleus cuttings I babied over the winter and finally set outside died in the cold snap last night...sigh...ah well...So I have a reason to go buy more!!! Yea!! LOL Oh, and I put down a stepping stone in the side driveway strip for the letter carrier. He pretty much goes through the same area every time when he is headed next door, so, with luck, he's smart enough to realize what the stone is for and he shouldn't accidentally squish something I wanted. Like the Gomphreas he smushed down last year. [ha-RUMPH]

My neighbors are moving at the end of the month and have offered me all their Roses. They have eight. Oh BOY. Good thing one of my broke "kids" had to replace his car window, for which he now owes me 23 hours of labor. Along with my two regular kids, he's going to help pull up the yard grass to make a new bed, dig 'em up, and plant 'em over here next weekend. [moohahaha] We are going to get started leveling and covering the area for the tiered planters for the Green Amber Gardens project, too. My tech manager has a friend who can get me recycled concrete block and and has promised to deliver at least a pallet load to my driveway. How lucky is that? Better buy my helpers some sturdy gloves.

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 7, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8412910

Carrie, my Dad had PCA services after he broke his leg. ( I was still in high school so I couldn't look after him during the day.) If a place like Midland City had such services, I'm sure a more developed place like the Raleigh area would. It seems logical that such services would be among the last to be hit by Medicaid or Medicare cuts.
I know Mama Kay once worked at a place called Independent Living Apartments in Houston. An apartment complex especially geared to para- and quadriplegics. She said it was just your average apartment complex, except that everything was accessible and there was a service staff on call 24-7. The Raleigh-Duram area might have an apartment complex like that also. That might be worth looking into. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 7, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8412947

Carrie, I wrote to the MA PCA council. Reply from Jack Boesen. Maybe someone here can help find out what NC has.

"Thank you for writing to the Council. While I do not have a comprehensive list of similar agencies, below are some sites I have found. Washington State had a Council but closed it. Down below I have give you a link to PHI, an organization working to support direct care workers. Maybe someone there would have more information."

California http://www.capaihss.org/
Oregon http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/spd/adv/hcc/index.shtml
Michigan http://www.mqccc.org/portal/
Wisconsin http://www.wqhcc.org/index.php

http://phinational.org/

==========================
Here is the link to the NC Department of Health and Human Services, too.
http://www.ncdhhs.gov/

:-))
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 7, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8412955

Bought the gloves AND...walked around long enough to put back every single sale plant with which I had completely filled a basket. Yea, me!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 7, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8413652

Debra, the concrete blocks were a great score!
Kay planted potatoes today. She is trying that old technique with the three stacked tires. The only complaints I've ever heard about that technique is the tires can be heavy and hard to lift. Kay had me remove one side wall off the bottom tire and both sidewalls from the top two. That dramatically reduces the weight. I think most folks should be able to do the little lifting required. We will find out come harvest time. .
Nadine painted while I paid bills and cleaned house, Yep, my life is just a thrill a minute. Well, at least, I got out of the painting. Have I mentioned this month how much I hate painting. :-) (Jim).

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8414614

Everyone sounds like they are up to no good - the good kind, of course! Good score Debra, and thanks for the links. Nadine, i agree, but I worry that we might not be poor enough any more to qualify. Anyway, he has decided he doesn't want to move. I think the idea that I would leave both my parents and my DD and my garden has convinced him that I am seriously worried about his health and would do almost anything to give us more time together. He has promised to apply for a manager's position in Boston that is open through attrition - it would be the same pay but one hopes, less pressure, only 30-50 hrs a week and not a killing 70-100.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 8, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8415264

Carrie, I hope he gets it. Working long hours in a high stress job broke me healthwise and I'm young.
PJ got an annual cut flower mix for Valentine's Day. I planted it for him today by the front walk where he can view it easily.
Also, cleaned and organized the "baby barn" I moved a comfortable couch, the sewing machine and all my art supplies out there. It will be great to be able to leave a project laying out until I'm finished with it. I was having to pick all my stuff up and put it away every evening.
MK worked on the new w/c ramp. We are replacing the wood one with, what we hope, will be a lower maintenance earthen ramp. It will be dirt cheap :-) but MAN there is a lot of earth to be move. (6' wide 4' high) I hope we haven't bitten off more than we can chew with this project. .
It seems like the trailing verbena 'Homestead Purple' started blooming early. We had temps in the upper 30's only a few nights ago. I can't remember stuff like that from year-to-year. I think I will keep a record this season of what bloomed when. Walking the property every morning with my Monster energy drink in hand to look for new stuff in bloom is a fun way to start the day. I'm not a morning person so any little trick helps. ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8415355

You're chewing your earthen W/C ramp? Errr...
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 8, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8415388

ROFL!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 8, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8415484

I used to at least sample the mud pies I made as a four year old, so I don't see anything wrong with chewing the ramp..

Nadine, are you still of a mind to have mostly white 'decor' in there?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 9, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8417251

The couch I moved out there is slate blue velour, but, other than that, I think I will stay with white-on-white. It is a small space and there is only one window. White would give a more spacious feel. I considered classic bee colors, but that would be more of the same here. Amber, honey, caramel and browned-down yellows accented by black are everywhere you look around here. Could that explain why we naturally have so many bees? They like the decor?
It is one big mud pie outside today so Iíve been working on labeling the photos on the computer. (It turned out to be the perfect task because I made a positive ID of a euonymus whose name has been eluding me. There was a labeled photo of it in the files. duh.) Iím sorting through the unlabeled plant photos with MK alongside to tell me the plant's names. The Zoomtext program on this computer can magnify up to 30X. You can also change the color contrast to define edges. With my descriptions supplementing details she canít make out on the screen, identifying and labeling is going much faster.
PJ discovered today it will cost $500 to take one of the large pines down and that does not include grinding the stump. Ouch! There is still one arborist who hasnít given his estimate, but Iím afraid $500 is as low as it will get. MK says it is a lower price than normal for the job because the arborist can cut it into 15í sections and sell it to a lumber mill. The tree is over 70í tall. The workhouse is only 20íto the east of it. There is a power line at about the same distance to the south and there is an equally large pine on its north side. Iíve never seen such a large tree felled in such close quarters. I hope Iím at home to watch when they fell it. ~Nadine~

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8418615

The last arborist said the damage to the pine's trunk is such that it is very likely to fall to the unobstructed west if it fell naturally. That would still leave us with a massive clean-up job that is physically beyond any or all of us. I don't dare landscape on the west side of the tree yet because it would crush whatever was there when it inevitably did fall. It looks like we will need to tighten our belts just a little more and get it taken down professionally. "Ouch" is right!
I certainly hope your DH gets the new position, Carrie. Re-locating is a major hassle even without the complications of physical limitations.
Your self-discipline is admirable, Debra. lol. I once considered blindness an advantage to my wallet because I didn't have to deal so much with impulse buying. There is no, "I see it so I want it." Then. on-line catalogs and text-to-speech programs came along. Jim now hides the credit cards from me every time he sees me checking out on-line nursery catalogs. Impulse buying via "I hear about it so I want it. " can be just as damaging to the bank account.
I gotta go chew on the w/c ramp some more. I estimate 2-3 weeks before I can swallow the earth moving part of the project and there is the concrete surfacing after that. Hopefully, it will all be worth it not to have to worry about preserving the wood in our humidity and we avoid the rumble-strip effect of a boardwalk ramp. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8418866

Now he has decided to stay exactly where he ois but take more time off (?). Like that's going to happen. Sigh.

I'm still laughing about Kay chewing on the earthen ramp project, and happy that if I ever get far enough south to visit, there will be a ramp for me! We'll be in Orlando in May -- how far is that?
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 11, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8421426

Orlando is 320 miles from here. That route I know VERY well. I was stationed not far from here in Panama City. I would drive down to see Kay and her children. The kids would always want to take me to Disney World. lol. Are you going to do Disney World while you are there? I know it is accessible. Kay was having problems with her knee and went using a w/c. I thought the w/c was overkill. She was only limping a little. By the end of the day, Kay was limping along and the girls were pushing me in the w/c. lol. I was just beginning to have pain then, but that is a big place. By w/c may be the best way to see it. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 12, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8422787

Kay, I didn't manage it too well today. Box store perennials on sale. Lavender, Daisy, two Japanese Boxwoods, and two Quinalt strawberry plants. Even broke down and bought the hanging bag I've wanted to try for forever. Have three kids coming tomorrow morning to move roses from the neighbor's and do some more cleanup on the Green Amber project. They can fill and hang for me. :-) Did manage to close out every online shopping cart I filled while at work today BEFORE I hit checkout, so I guess that counts...

Bet you'll love the concrete ramp.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2011
4:09 AM

Post #8423642

Hi everyone. I just started the spring clean up here in the Northeast.
What nuiscence it is to have to carry soooo much small stuff to the garden.
The old ways just arent working for me anymore.
I wanted a tool belt for shears,nippers,gloves,tags etc.
I found this online and thought I would pass it on. Maybe you already solved the problem but here it is.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/departments/-specialty-shops/gardening-essentials/womens_gardening_clothes/51009.aspx?feature=product_2#
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 13, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8424413

a vest would be too much for me in texas heat, but the idea can be adapted to a fabric belt with loops and a couple of pockets. sort of like a fanny pack on steroids with all its cousins. LOL great idea, thank you for the link. :-)

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8424461

I was wishing for a linemans belt type thing.Up north its not so bad.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 13, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8425202

With help, transferred five of the neighbor's roses and have the upside down strawberry planter hanging and filled. Fingers crossed it works. Only had two helpers today, so shelved more work on the the planter project for now. After they left, planted a Lavender pinnata-relocated a Fescue to plant it in a sandy sloping area. Planted an "Angel" Shasta Daisy and five dark stem Dahlia bulbs. Pulled lots and lots and lots of grass plugs.
Ordered two Helleborus. First time ever even considering them. Thought they were nasty. Until saw them live at a nursery. Like the foliage and size. Flowers were pretty. Giving them a space in the same area that the Wedding Gown Hydrangea will go.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2011
2:14 AM

Post #8425560

Sounds like a good days work.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8426201

I like that vest! It would work well for me. I'm V-shaped so it's either a vest or I make suspenders for my utility belt. lol. Either would work better than the small stuff in a 5-gal. plastic bucket method I've been using. It seems the bucket is always just out of reach and I end up laying tools down and forgetting them.
I'm taking the day off from the w/c ramp project to do some planting. I will get back on it tomorrow. I think I will be just as happy to have the wheelchair ramp back as w/c users. The ramp is much easier on arthritic knees.
Jim claims if it weren't for him, all our money would go for pretty plants. I foresee a problem as he gets more and more into gardening. Who is going to keep HIS nursery spending under control? He just came home with an Easter egg plant (Solanum melongena). So...instead of me spending all our money on pretty plants. It will be Jim spending all our money on unusual plants. lol. Kay*

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8426227

I used the 5 gal bucket method. Its just too much dragging it along with a bucket of compost. I use a hand truck with a large rectangle plastic storage tub. Still clumsy as most of the paths are too narrow for the tub.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8426899

Hi Joanne! How are you?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8426962

Hi Carrie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 14, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8427070

I was happy with what we got done. A new dig-'em-up plan came to me when we finished and the boys were agreeable to do the work, so we will be pulling out even more of the hated front yard grass in the next couple of months for mulched pathways, a paver walkway and more flowers. I want fine-bladed, GREEEEN grass that you can walk in barefoot. Grass you can lay in and watch the clouds go by without pokes from the pricklies and chomps from the fire ants. Know I'd have to move back up North or pay lots and lots and lots of landscaping money to get it, but I can at least pull up this awful stuff and put something else in its place. After I whine some more about it, of course. :-)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 14, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8427689

Debra, I have zoysia seeds, if that is a grass you are considering.
Welcome to the thread ge#. Thanks for the link. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 15, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8428088

Jim, been thinking about Zoysia and Buffalo. What do you think?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8428737

Debra, you should read what they have to say at High Country Gardens about different drought tolerant lawns!

Joann, I realize there are about a million ways of spelling Jo-Ann (same as Carie, Keri, Kerry, Karrie, etc) so you are most welcome to add your name to the real names / screen names thread which is stickied at the top of this forum.

I saw someone else's crocuses up today - bright yellow, a color I will soon get sick of, I know, but it is welcome.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 15, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8429100

thanks carrie, will do

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2011
9:46 PM

Post #8431716

Whew, it has been a long day. We yanked out 3 allegedly dwarf red barberries and variegated privet that was too big for the space. Consigned the red barberries to the burn pile, but relocated the privet and will let it assume its natural tree form. We seeded 7 types of tomatoes, Hamburg parsley and carrots.
Jim went to the nursery for the 3 ĎPurple Diamondí loropetalum our plan called for, but changed his mind at the nursery. He came home with 3 blueberry bushes. I guess he was thinking about the semi-dwarf ĎNorthlandsí like his mother grew. The southern rabbiteye cultivars achieve a mature height of about 10í. While Iím all for edible landscaping and I agree blueberries are attractive shrubs, they were too large for the space we were working on. We did find space for two of them close to the house. The third went into the Standing Garden. Still donít have the 3 SMALL shrubs for the edge of the patio. I think I might just put in 4-o-clocks there for this season. Since blueberries appear to be Jimís current passion, I will look for some Florida evergreen blueberries (Vaccinium myrsinites). There are semi-dwarf versions of those, but they are not easy to find. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8432469

Don't you hate it when you send your man to the nursery for 1 particular thing and he brings home seven other things that may have no relation to what you originally wanted?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 17, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8432626

That vest would be an EXCELLENT idea for MK. PJ was repairing the dryer this morning and giving MK a hard time about not pulling everything out of her pockets before she throws her work clothes into the laundry. He itemized what he removed from the bottom of the blower vent like small pebbles, a finishing nail, a few little screws, a hearing aid battery, some of the eye hooks she uses in the garden to put up wire supports, the remnants of a nursery tag, etc. Those arenít what caused the dryer to fail, but it does explain some of the weird noises it was making. lol. Eleven pockets MIGHT be enough. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 17, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8432627

Kay, Vaccinium 'Sunshine Blue' is only 3-4 feet and is a self-pollinator with a low chill requirement. If you REALLY want to tweak him about not checking size, you could get Vaccinium 'Pink Lemonade'. It is a "blueberry" shrub that has PINK berries. 4-5 feet and another low chill requirement. :-)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 18, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8434654

The verdict is in. Debra is found guilty of being part of the Pink Conspiracy. :-) (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 18, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8434670

I am innocent of the charges, I tell you, innocent! I am only a conduit of information. If it should HAPPEN to happen that the information provided should involve pink in any form, it is mere coincidence! LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8434845

I vouch for Debra's innocence!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 18, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8435236

Nadine, these are for you.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 18, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8435250

Today, received 10 Moonshine Canna bulbs; and one each of Bee Happy, Cherubino, and Bumble Rumble Dahlia bulbs. Think I can get one of the work kids over tomorrow afternoon. Going to dig out the area between the foreground rose and the potted Dianthus. Put the Dahlias there. These three are short and have about 15 more taller ones coming from a co-op. We'll finish making the arc to the sidewalk and bring over one or two more of the neighbor's roses. If there is any energy left after THAT, will start digging out the sod between the baseball-park bed and the arc. Lay mulch instead. The Cannas will go on the west side of the house in with the Iris. Have 10 dwarf white Halley Gladiolas coming. If I get lucky, that whole area will be a nice long line of creamy white, soft yellow, and leaf green. Fingers crossed because I think the mix will make a beautiful photograph that might look okee in Nadine's retreat.

Busy day, but if we get it knocked out tomorrow, I can celebrate a Sofa Spud Sunday in pajamas. Really try out the Apple TV the boss gave me and eat nachos. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 18, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8435251

AND, now I KNOW it's Spring around here. First mosquito bites of the season. LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8435272

Can you leave dahlias in the ground year-round, Debra?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 18, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8435280

If we have a normal Winter, yes. After this last one? No. I don't expect to see any of the few I had in-ground come back up. But they are pretty, anyway. LOL
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 18, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8435557

Oooooo, double poppy? Have garden lounge chair. Will travel. Can I have some of those nachos?
It was a lazy day. Kay missed church so many times because she was wiped out by work; PJ said no more hard work on Fridays or Saturdays. It gives us a chance to recover from Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
All I did in the garden today was paint a knobby tire slate blue and pink. :-) It is now a planter in the Cando Container Garden. With all the dreamy, soft colors, it is beginning to make me think ďtire heavenĒ and I am the garden's paint smudged guardian angel. The new planter is filled with soil and ready for planting, but I havenít decided with what. I was thinking of more irises that needed rescue when I created it. But, now Iím thinking something billowy.
Carrie, MK says she is sending me to the nursery next time. Husbands just canít be trusted.
I sort of like the ĎPink Lemonadeí blueberry idea. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 19, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8436049

Nadine, it is a "Scent First Passion Dianthus." A tall garden pink or a baby Carnation, whichever one you like best. I'll share my nachos with you anytime. :-) Do you like jalapenos? Kraft now has a cheese pack with Monterey Jack, Colby and Cream Cheese shreds. Works really well on toasted nachos. Last night's dinner was that with chopped tomatoes and jalapenos on it, then salsa and a little sour cream after it comes out of the toaster oven.

Jim, I'm going to get the most garish orange something I can find and send it to you.

Joanne, have you ever tried the general tool belts from the hardware store? If so, do they work okay for you? My yard is really small and my tools are just gathered on the porch while I work, but once I start working on the back, I'll need something to carry them with me.

Kay, I will *secretly* send you a Zepherine Drouhin. Shhhhh, don't tell Jim...
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 19, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8437498

Thanks for the hint, Vickie. I identified the little blue spring flower that grew from the tiny bulb. It is Ipheion uniflorum. I guessed it might have that vaguely onion smell you mentioned because it is in the onion family (Alliaceae). I braved the latin jungle and bagged it using that. Well, with a little help from Google and Plantfiles. .
Debra, I'm not a hard-core pepperhead, but I do like jalapenoes. I want to grow some so I can try to make my own poppers. Do you like those? Hope you didn't work too hard today.
Today PJ asked MK if he could have some of her jellybeans. She had me pick out all the pink ones and give them to him. lol. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 20, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8438017

I like poppers. :-) Don't have to put peppers on the nachos, they are just as good without.

Poor Jim. He's outnumbered, outgunned, and pretty much outmaneuvered, as well. :-D
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 20, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8439012

Serendipity strikes again. Had a buy one/get one herb coupon for the box store. Lo and behold, there were also CLEARANCE herbs. Got my two premium herbs, four clearance herbs, and another Cherry Brandy Gaura. Planned to pot up the herbs and leave in containers through summer. Until I looked at the Rose arc. I cleared a goodly section of grass last night with the idea of planting Dahlias today. But then I looked at the herbs. Looked back at the cleared area. Looked at the herbs...and voila! Here is the new little herb bed. Cinnamon Basil, Sweet Basil, two Curled Parsley, a Pineapple Sage, and a Fernleaf Dill. With the Gaura in the middle. :-) Laid some pavers and bricks around the border to see which I like better. I know I didn't get all pieces of the grass rhizomes and roots out, but with diligence, maybe it won't be so bad. LOL Pulled more grass clumps here and there. Goal is to have allllll of the St. Augustine replaced within the next two years. Plucked some of the gazillion tree seedlings that pop up every year. Watered a bit. Put the Peony cage over the Festiva Maxima. Happyhappyhappy to have seen it coming up. Understand they don't like to be transplanted and this one is on its third-hopefully, final-move in seven years. Almost put the Dahlias on the west side, but it really only gets direct sun for a couple of hours late afternoon and I don't think that's enough. Pondering where to go with them. By the fence Roses or side yard Rose of Sharons...hmmm...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2011
1:00 AM

Post #8439812

Debra,Debra, Decisions, Decisions. Ain't it fun! LOL I spent the day outside too. Cleaning out my containers. Now have 22 done. with about 20 to go.Everything is showig signs of life except Cannas,guess they'll come up in another month.Have to go to town tomorrow and mail some stuff and get some catfood.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8442025

I did earth moving most of the day. Working on both the w/c ramp and the terraces that preserve the sloped SE corner (Nadiís corner). She and Jim were teasing me about my ďdirt obsession.Ē As usual, I was listening to a book under wireless headphones while I worked it just happened my current read was Dirt: the Erosion of Civilizations by David Montgomery. It did make for an interesting reading experience. :-) It was a positive feeling since I was engaged in doing some of the things he recommends we do to secure our future food supply. Definitely, not a book I would have wanted to read in the air conditioned cab of one of those mega-tractors used on industrial farms. He hits industrial farming rather hard, but acknowledges it is a necessary evil that is buying us time to make real changes. It is a well written book. Reasonable and objective. Some readers might think he gives way too many examples of the point he is making, but I think that strengthens the credibility of his stance. And, everyone can relate it to themselves since he gives examples from every region of this country and all over the world. I wasnít sure any author could pull off a book that would be interesting to layman on the impact of erosion and poor land management on civilizations from Mesopotamia to the present. It sounded like it would be dry, academic reading but he did it amazingly well. I read it straight through despite its 270 pages. Read this book if you can find it. Even if you are an exclusively ornamental gardener. It helps you see your little piece of the earth in a new light.
Jim put up some guidelines for me. I was coming back to the house very tired and almost stumbled into the irrigation trench. Perfect height for me (chest height), but Iím afraid it would clothes line a shorter blind person. Iíll have to put up a second strand if we acquire such an individual. All Jennyís time is absorbed with her new son for now, so Iím the only VIP around.
Debra, roses and herbs are a classic combination in my mind.
There arenít many herb gardens that donít include at least one rose. It will give you a nice fragrance area, as well. :-)
Vickie, I'll be happy to send you more canna if yours don't pop up soon. I wouldn't write them off yet though. Ours are just popping up. There are some small canna that might work well in pots. Or, do you like the very large foliage?
Just for the record, Jim gave me some jellybeans once. All of them were black. He doesn't like licorice. It was payback time. :-) Kay*

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 22, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8444161

For those new to Kay-speak VIP means Visually Impaired Person. :-)
Thatís a lot of containers, Vickie! What sort of plants are you growing?
Debra, I admit I have an orange problem. I let the GCís paint a sitting ledge Kay had just made neon orange. (Kay asked me to pick up terra cotta for the project.) Iím still living down and living with the Kelly green erosion wall ďsnakeĒ with the pink eyes and the neon orange sitting platform next to it. Well, the GCís like it! lol. Iím not going to even mention my idea to paint the art room a color called ďChutney.Ē I gave up on making that work and will paint it over with caramel. Iíve already mentioned once this month how much I hate painting so I wonít repeat myself. If Kay wanted to be truly wicked she would have given me all the orange jellybeans.
Itís apple blossom time! Think I could move the Kelly green snake with the pink eyes to beneath the apple trees? It might scare off the deer so they donít eat all my apple harvest. Then, I could avoid having to paint the platform by creating an all-orange garden. Iím determined to learn to work with orange. Well, except for chutney. (Jim)

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 23, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8444807

I LIKE the idea of an all orange garden! There are so many shades and sizes and fragrances that it would be fun. And the GCs would have a blast. Purples and bright greens go really well with orange...just saying...
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 23, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8445204

Nobody's touching my pink eyed snake! I love that guy. MK is just ticked because they used some of her nail polish to do the eyes. Sheesh, Amy said SHE was willing to contribute some of her black nail polish to do the irises of the snake's eyes. I think we should make that area the kid's garden space. You could keep an eye on them while relaxing on the high deck if we did. Little Travis considers that his garden anyway so I'm pushing for putting the swings and stuff there. Sure, it is the front yard, but we live .5 miles back on a dirt and gravel road. One of the joys of living in the sticks should be you don't have to follow suburban landscape rules and relegate the kids to playing in the back yard.

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8445210

There are orange irises and oh, I can't remember its name it starts with G, blooms early in summer, related to roses but isn't gaura (now I've got that in my head), oh. it's GEUM and there are orange poppies and orange dianthus and orange cosmos and orange coreopsis - can you tell I HAVE an orange garden? Surely you've read my famous article about how well orange and blue complement each other! How about pontentilla oh there are zillions of gorgeous orange flowers, Jim!

Of course, in the article I point out how much better nature is at choosing colors than plastic manufacturers!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2840/

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8446253

I wouldn't have minded their using my nailpolish for a craft project. It is just that there was a drawer full of older inexpensive polishes, but somehow they ended up snagging the single $10 a bottle stuff I had just bought at Merle Norman's. lol.
Nadine makes a good point. It would be more pleasant and relaxing for parents if they could sit on the deck with a glass of iced tea and still see what their children were up to. I wonder if I could pull off putting the children's garden space front and center without the place looking like a daycare center.
I'll make sure Jim reads the orange article, Carrie.
I'm told the sitting platform is about the color of California poppies. My youngest GS likes to sing. He calls the platform his stage. :-) Kay*
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 24, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8447530

Iím feelingí lucky today. I blundered twice this morning while planting, but I think all will come out right anyway. I saw ďfoxgloveĒ on the seed package and planted it in part shade without a second glance. It was foxglove PENSTEMONĒ which need lots of sun. The huge pine is being felled tomorrow so that bed will get plenty of sun then. My Da always said God looks after saints, fools and mad people so Iím covered on two counts. :-) I made the opposite mistake with the columbine. The seeds were already planted in full blazing sun before I was told that columbines prefer a little shade and it was best to plant them in fall. Kay put in some Drummond Turkís cap that were transplant size to provide shade and told me planting columbine in spring just means I wonít have blooms until next year. Thatís okay. Iíll have Turkís cap lilies this year.
I need the w/c ramp to be finished for my sake too. Tater-dog is hopping around on three legs because she hurt herself, but she still insists on being where she can see MK working. The high deck works well for that. She can see MK without having to match her step-for-step. The leg isnít going to heal if she keeps using it. The problem is she canít negotiate the 7 steps on three legs so she sits at the bottom of the stairs, whines and looks dejected until I lift her up to the deck. That dog is heavy! -! I told MK she needs to get Tater-dog a little red wagon so she can pull Tate around with her. Someone should design a doggie stroller. They have dog car seats so why not? ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8447564

I use nail polish for a lot of things, and few of them are painting my nails!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 24, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8447889

Nadine, there are doggie strollers. They are just extraordinarily expensive. A little red wagon with a cushion would be much better. :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 25, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8450399

...and the kids would have fun with a wagon when they are here. Tate is a little better today. I see her occasionally putting weight on her bad leg, but she hams it up when Mama Kay's around. She is working that "Oh, you poor baby!" thing to the max... until it is time for her to take her medication anyway. That stuff must taste nasty. It is a battle getting her to take it.
The arborist didn't make it today. His current customer decided he wanted more trees taken down. We started working on the NE corner to be out of the arborist way and just decided to stay with that. It is the one place where we are going for a formal, symmetrical look. "Just to prove we are capable of doing formal" MK says. :-) It is going to be a big job because that has always been the out of the way place where the stuff we saved to use in projects we planned to do SOMEDAY ended up. Weíve decided it is SOMEDAY.
The space will be hedged in to keep it from looking out of place with Amargiaís rustic, working farm look. We hope to avoid a claustrophobic feeling by ďborrowing landscape.Ē You can see down to the creek and up the next hill. That doesnít sound impressive, but long vistas are uncommon here where tree lines are used as windbreaks. . ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 25, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8450515

Nadine, I think you need a nearly thornless climbing rose. One that is fragrant. Will grow in shade. Um...and is pink. LOL PJ was looking for one to go on an arbor that is part in sun and part in shade. I got a Zephirine Drouhin this year because I really like them and just have NOT figured out where the yard wants it to go. We're too busy digging up shrub roses from the neighbor and figuring out where to put THOSE. So, you and Kay might want to watch for a package. Can paint it orange so PJ won't say I'm in the conspiracy again! [grin}

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8450628

Debra, did you catch Larry Rettings article today? He identifies the glad we sent your way as an 'African Parrot.' Locals call it a native glad, but according to his article it is an old cultivar that excaped cultivation here long ago and naturalized.
I thought you were joking about the Zephirine drouhin. Jim was actually planning to get one of those for the "Arch de Triumph" in April. Wonderful timing. I'll keep a cutting going for you in case the perfect spot shows up in your landscape later.
That arch is an odd piece of architecture, but my DD would be upset if we tore it down. Jim was trying to teach my youngest DD how to drive and she ran into the metal frame of his canopy carport. I made an arch out of the bent frame and covered it in crete. We christened it the "arch de triumph" when she got her liscense on her third attempt. lol. It is in an obvious place so we need to "purty it up" It has faux magnolia leaves molded into the crete, but it needs something growing on it to soften the look.
Carrie, I had Nadi hunt down and pot up the little canna starts with the most violet hued leaves to send to you in May. Think it will have stopped snowing by then? :-) Are March snows an unusual occurrence there? Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2011
4:03 AM

Post #8450831

I'm back and decided I will live. Have a lot of catching up with you guys.
Think I had a touch of stomach flu along with severe depression. Stayed with DD some. Have had sunny,cloudy,rainy and tonight stormy weather. Just could'nt make myself do much with my flowers,tho i tried some.Also got behind with my housework. One of DD,s cats decided she likes my house better than DD,s. Guess i've acquired another cat.
Was thinking about making a flying trip somewhere near Dallas So i could meet up with Debra, and give her some flowers. (If I can get my act together.)I also want to see my Sis-IL in Longview.

My spring flowers are in full bloom. Abt 10 years ago I had bought some pink daffodils. They stayed pink for a couple of years and now are white. Still pretty tho. Creeping phlox are starting to bloom. Asiatic lillys are coming up. purple violets everywhere. Do any of you have the double dafodils,called butter and eggs?
Jim, You asked what i had planted in my containers. Mostly daylillys but a couple of Asiatic lillys,a peony,sedum,creeping phlox,about 3 I pile full of annuals every year.My hostas,tulips and iris are still in flower beds.
Kay, Tho not common we have had snows here in March. Kay, Have you heard any of Tony Kellermans Jim Chee books?
Have missed you all.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8452292

They had snow in NYC an inch on the ground a few days ago - we only got flurries up here. But winter is def. not over. The real question is, do we get snowstorms in March, and luckily, only rarely does that happen!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 26, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8452395

Kay, didn't read it. Will find it. Sounds fun. They are coming up beautifully. :-) I would be grateful if you took a Zephirine cutting. I really want one here, but it has to be the right location, not just a convenient one.

Vickie, glad you are feeling better. I've read some of the books. Almost had to for "family patriotism" since Uncle, Aunt, their kids and grankids live on the reservation in Shiprock. The audio performer looks familiar, but not enough for the 'ah-ha!' recognition. Would probably know his voice. Says he's performed close to 700 of them.

Carrie, I will do my best to send warm winds your way.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 27, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8454837

Vickie, spring sounds beautiful there and it even comes in springtime. :-) Iím re-learning the progression of the seasons I mistakenly thought Iíd learned in kindergarten. Nadine and Kay say it is time I let go of my belief in those equal and orderly seasons my teachers in Pennsylvania fibbed to me about so long ago. Iím a gardener in the deep south now so they thought it was time I was told the truth. They think it is weird I havenít figured it out for myself yet. Sort of like a 50-year-old who still believes in Santa and the Easter bunny. According to the REAL calendar used by gardeners in the deep south, spring, autumn and winter all last two months and summer last 6 months. That long summer is divided between magnolia summer (April-May), canna summer (June-July) and lantana summer (August-Sept.) with each of these summers having its own palette of fruit, vegetables and flowers in addition to the one it is named for. Iím still a little confused, but Iím beginning to comprehend. So, there are SIX seasons in the deep south, not four. Rose summer starts in a few days. I guess some of what they say about natural seasons vs. calendar seasons is true, but I donít believe a word of what they said about the Easter bunny. I just know there are places in the world where the natural seasons are perfectly in sync with numbers on the calendar. That is probably where E. bunny resides. You haven't seen him by any chance, have you?
Debra, I wonderÖ..say someone were to water a pink rose bush with water having lots of red food coloring in it. Do you suppose the bloom might turn out a strong, masculine red? :-)
Are those books the ones about law enforcement officers on the Navajo reservation. I know Kay has read a few of those. I can remember being confused because once the main character was an older man and another time it was a young woman, but it sounded like the same person writing both. Jim
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2011
10:39 PM

Post #8454883

Hey Jim!! This 70 year old is absolutely sure there is an Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. LOL I watch that Christmas show every year with the Macy,s Santa Claus.
Right now i have 2 little Easter Egg trees and large plastic Easter eggs displayed around my living room.And if Jesus Christ Superstar comes on I'll be watching it along with Easter Parade.
I need to check out the Tony Hillerman books and reread them. It,s been awhile. I vaguely remember the young girl. Also the woman archeologest.But thats about it.
I have'nt checked out many recently, I've mainly been reading paperbacks from walmarts and bookstore. Am going to take a bunch to the Sal. Army. DD thinks i ought to sell them but thats one of the ways i contribute to SA.
Jim, Don't think red water will help. Someone tried to sprinkle chocolate on a basil plant to make Chocolate basil and it did'nt work. LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8455865

You guys are too funny!

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8456416

Vickie, are chocolate basil hounds still resorting to such drastic measures? It might be time to consider starting an online CBHA support group. (Chocolate Basil Hounds Anonymous. It doesn't appear anyone will ever be able to slip passed Sasquatch and raid Vortreker's top secret chocolate basil seed stash. Getting him to freely share his choc. basil.sounds like it would be even less likely than getting passed Bigfoot.
I've read Tony Hillerman's series, but in a more patchy way than I would like. Iíve read The Wailing Wind, The Fallen Man and Coyote Waits. I would like to start from the beginning of the series when Joe Leaphorn was the main character (The Blessing Way? Dance Hall of the Dead?) and read through the books where Leaphorn retires and is gradually replaced by Jim Chee as the viewpoint character. I suspect Hillerman was planning to make another transition like that. It looked to me like he might have been starting to set up the Bernadette Manuelito character to eventually replace Chee. The same way Chee replaced Leaphorn as the main viewpoint character. I think I missed out a little on the way the story developed from book to book by not reading them in the order he wrote them.
Each of his series books can stand alone and makes perfect sense even if you haven't read any others though. I love that in a series.
I was especially fond of the Bernadette character. She was the inexperienced young female officer he used as a viewpoint character in his last book. I could relate to her. She inadvertently contaminated a crime scene because of her pension for collecting seeds. lol.
Hillerman unfortunately died in 2008, but there has been a movement in publishing for other writers with a similar style to pick up the dropped threads of some series writers. (Such as Brandon Sanderson completing the Wheel of Time series after Robert Jordanís death.) It gives a whole new meaning to "ghost writing." You can get a seamless effect with the right writer. The perfect writer will hopefully get permission from the copyright holder, pick up Hillermanís dropped story threads and continue the weaving. From what Iíve heard of Tony Hillerman, I think he would like the idea of his series taking on a life of its own. This concludes what seems to be my Monday book review. :-)
It is raining. Seeding some containers is all the gardening I have planned for the day, but there is plenty of housekeeping to do. sigh Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8456774

Alert - I will be AWOL for a few days - I'm composing again! Sorry... be good.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 28, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8456847

Jim, I bet it wouldn't hurt to try. After all, without experiments, anything new would rarely be discovered, right? :-)

Here is what me 'n the kids did over the weekend. Might not look like a lot, but that is 15 combined hours of labor. LOL

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8456949

Looks lovely.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 29, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8458103

Kay, Zephirine is on the way FedEx Ground scheduled for delivery on Thursday. This antique rose is a little prone to black spot, but that won't hurt it too much. :-)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1203/

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8458348

http://www.finegardening.com/plantguide/rosa-zephirine-drouhin-thornless-rose.aspx
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 29, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8458655

That is neat looking, Debra. These days I can appreciate the work involved in projects like that.
Vickie, the only butter and eggs we have are in the fridge. Those are pretty daffodils though. Our daffodils are Prof. Einstein and Dick Wilden. At least that is what they were supposed to be. I have some doubts about the Professor. I like their look, but the corona of ours doesnít seem as orange as those in photographs.
Carrie, Iíll try to keep this rowdy bunch under control while you are busy since I am now officially a responsible, sober adult. It was recently decided I can call people by their given names without the honorifics. That is like a rite of passage in some parts of the country. It goes without saying that Sir and Maíam will still be expected. It is all the Miss first name and Mr. first name stuff I can drop. I can also omit the friend of the family honorifics like Grandma, Papa or Aunt (depending on gender and age) plus first name thing. I have evidently proven myself a ďwell-brought-up youngunĒ deserving of certain adult privileges. Itís a proud moment, but do you have any idea how hard it is to break those habits of address. Maybe, by the time Iím 30, I will be able to address ďgrown-upsĒ by their names without flinching. :-) My poor, confused BF thought I was related by blood to all the people I address with family honorifics. That would sure give me a fascinating family and I would actually be willing to claim them all.
We took down an old catalpa tree and the Bradford pear this morning. I found some flowering pear in the woods. I think they came from up the hill, but we arenít taking any chances. The neighbors cut down a fruiting pear that must have been on flowering pear rootstock. They left what sprouted back up because it was so pretty this time of year. It flowers even more profusely than our Bradford, but I think it is the parent of the little thorny beauties in the woods. Well, Fenny and I can play in the woods now without being accused of goofing off. I just have to make sure I have a bow saw with me to present as evidence of my industriousness. :-)
Off to shop. PJ had a little financial windfall yesterday and shared the bounty so I could buy better job interview outfits and get my hair gut. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 29, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8458849

Nadine, don't have too much cut off, you have beautiful hair. I always wanted copper-red hair and green eyes. Have sorta green eyes, and sorta red highlights if in the sun. But... :-p
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8459265

I was going to ask you what Prof Einstein center color was. I think mine are the real ones. Mine have the bright orange centers also. My pink ones are still white.
I have'nt heard of the Dick Wildens Please tell me all.LOL
Have a super time clothes shopping. You'll probably slip up on name titles for awhile. I did.
I am envious of your catalpa tree. I want one and it's my fault i don't have one. They are all around just not on my land. Maybe when i go to steal some Kudsu plants, I'll steal a catalba too.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8461836

Nadine had her hair cut chin length and isn't going to have it straighten any more. I remember her wearing it that way when she was a teenager. I thought it was beautiful. Straightening is so rough on hair and I wanted to growl at her whenever she did it. Women with my straight, fine hair would love to have that kind of bounce and curl. lol. Why is it we always want what we don't have?
My father always kept a few catalpa trees growing in front of our boat repair shop. Customers could take the catalpa worms for fishing bait. (Actually, a sort of caterpillar) My mother and father were always arguing about the trees proper name. My father called it catalpa and my mother claimed the proper name was catawba. I've heard the northern variety is larger leaved and prettier. I imagine it is the northern variety that grows in AR. I liked the huge "beans" that hung on it in fall. You could do your "sweet lil old lady" routine this fall and snag a pod. They are full of seeds.
Spent today potting up excess plants to be sold as fundraisers at the Rescue Mission store. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2011
1:08 AM

Post #8461941

LOL Kay, I'm only too aware of catalba worms. mY DH once gathered up a bunch of catalba worms and froze them in my freezer for fishing later. We learned later that one needed to roll them in cornmeal to keep them from sticking together when frozen.Yuk
I think Kays mother is right. Its Catawba but i say catalba from habit.
Our catalba trees do have the large leaves and blooms. My true nature is showing, Id rather steal a catawba tree from along side the road.I'd use the sweet lil ole lady if i get caught.LOL

I have to say the forest service people are good to me.They know i take stuff from and give stuff back. And i owe them somemore dwarf wild iris now. I am growing some wild vine now too that a ranger asked me to leave as it was rare. He called it a strangle vine. I also have some rattlesnake mullen,I'm protecting.and some tiny,tiny ants.They don't bother anything.We also have some rare small grey bats. I don't bother bats anyway.Actually anything that comes up is pretty safe here.
The bats reminds me. There is a small epidemic of rabies in a county near here and i need to call the vet and see if all my animals shots are up to date. Any skunk i see wandering around in the daytime will soon be a dead one if i can get hold of a neighbor.
Warm weather due this weekend.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 31, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8462896

Debra. Zd arrived this morning in excellent shape. I will wait to plant it until after the pine is down tomorrow. It shouldnít fall near the arch, but Iím not taking any chances. MK says felling a large tree when other large trees are nearby can be unpredictable. Limbs can catch on each other and cause the tree to fall in unexpected directions. That is why she insisted on a bonded and insured company for this job. If you donít see anything on our journal list you like, how about a gift certificate from Bluestone or is there another on-line nursery with something you have your eye on?
Vickie, Kay still calls the Dick Wilden daffs ďthose big, yellow honkers.Ē They were PJís daffodil choice. But, she has decided they are acceptable since they didnít need staking despite being over 2í tall. They are so cheerful looking. I want to transfer a few of those to the Playground garden. Kay decided to let me develop that space as a play area and we will use the children's area out back for something practical. The pink eyed, bright green snake and the neon orange sitting platform (Jacobís stage) will stay right where they are. A kid who tries to sing along with Enrico Caruso CDís needs a stage! ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 31, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8463125

Nadine, didnt' see anything but it isn't necessary to trade anything. May sound trite or something, but it truly is a joy to "play wit-chews guys." Makes me feel like I have a long-distance part of Amargia.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 31, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8464173

Consider it a late b'day present from Amargia then. We've never sent you a b'day present from the garden because your b'day falls outside of growing season. Besides, we want to be part of your Amber's development too. Ornamental gardening is fun, but we can't do much purely ornamental gardening here. We have to get some of that vicariously. Amargia is a working garden and that has its own sort of beauty. But, sometimes, you just want to escape to a garden of nothing but pretty flowers. One day, we will have the Inspiration Garden in the upper NE corner. Beauty and comfort will be the only considerations there. Kay promises. That is a year or so down the road though.
For now, we have to think about which plant will work best for erosion control, will it be a bad forage plant for the bees. What will improve soil fertility? What are the best ways to increase productivity of the fruits and vegetables. Ways to keep the timber bamboo growing straight to give it maximum marketability.
Most importantly of all, I want to invest in a pretty place to escape to where I can set up my lounge chair, eat nachos and drowse in the Texas sun. :-) ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 1, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8464782

setting up a patio for just that purpose, nadine. :-) okay, bluestone, then. they usually have seasonal 50% off sales and i've been waiting patiently for that :-D
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 1, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8465618

nadine, this is a shrub i've had my eye on for awhile. what do you think?

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/CASNP.html
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 3, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8469548

Didn't feel like getting up and out today. Did take time to snap this Red Miniature. Just Joey and Opening Night are right behind it, should be a few open tomorrow. Heritage, Julia Child, Graham Thomas, Fourth of July, and yellow miniature are still several days out. Think the yard will be looking GOR-geous in 10 days or so.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 3, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8470316

That caryopteris will give your garden a good color in late summer when golden yellow tends to dominate. The variegation will add some nice interest the remainder of the time. Bluestone has some interesting stuff.
Weíve all been a bit under the weather the last few days. I did manage to replace an azalea (bad honeybee forage) with an Endless Summer hydrangea, but that is the sum of my garden accomplishments for the last few days. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 4, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8471638

nadine, i wasn't specific enough. what do you think of the name? :-)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 4, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8472621

How can it be both a 'Snow Fairy' and a bluebeard? Have I been misinformed? Do snow fairies have beards? (Jim)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

April 4, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8472656

I think that is a politically incorrect query.

kb
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 4, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8472736

Okay, I withdraw the question. But, I think I'll call it blue mist spirea in future. .
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 5, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8473394

If it is a MALE snow fairy, it does. LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8476025

ha ha ha. ok, here is my practical matter (actually I might need the empathy thread). I need an addition built on my house to accommodate my mini-gym! Volunteers?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 6, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8477455

Debra, MK has me making artsy plant labels. That one would be fun.
Carrie, does your community have regulations about what you can build? Some do and you have to get a building permit, if remodeling changes the footprint of a building. . MK once worked for a construction sub-contractor and says most regulations are reasonable and a formality. But, Iíve also heard her tell some remodeling horror stories that revolve around permits and home owners associations. You might want to check. That is one of the upsides of living in the sticks. We donít have to deal much with that kind of bureaucracy.
Finished another container for the CanDo Container Garden. Planted it with spearmint. Sunflowers are coming up everywhere. Some are ĎVelvet Queení but the majority is from an old bag of bird seed Travis and Jacob planted. PJ didnít think many would come up. It was just something to keep the boys occupied. It looks like most of them were viable. We will have lots and lots of sunflowers. One of the ĎZebrinaí mallows has started blooming. First time Iíve seen one. I like them! ~N~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2011
3:31 AM

Post #8477599

Nadine, Boston has regulations about where Carrie can park her car.Bet she'll have to get an act of congress to build a room. I'll volunteer. I hear you about how nice to live in the sticks.
I,ve been planting Lantanas,(blue jeans and a red one)pansys,Marigolds I found an unusual violet today. I have blue ones and purple ones and they are always cross breeding. They usually are all the same but this one is purple with light blue stripes from the center to the edge of the petals. I've marked it so i can see what it'll do next year. Also have volunteer oriental lillys and hostas coming up everywhere. Gonna be fun to see how they do.Spearmint and peppermint coming up. Had a deer munch on one daylilly. Found a couple painted fern. I have a couple of roses putting out leaves. They always get a fungus and lose their leaves and never bloom. I have too many good insects around to spray. Perennial sweet peas coming up.
Am a little worried the pain in my knees may be permanent now.I can only go a few steps without the pain returning. Can't seem to shake the depression now either.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 7, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8479356

nadine, had to look up zebrina mallows. pretty. :-)

vickie, sounds like spring is sprunging up all around you, 'cept for your knees. did you see the deer as it was munching? i know the bambi image is most prevalent, but they are pretty destructive, aren't they? don't live far enough out to have them around here. do get wild with a few coyotes, even in this suburbia, but i don't think they are herbivores. LOL

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8479567

I hear you, Vickie. My doctor told me depression worsens with age. Gr-r-r. Is there something that improves? I've started taking an anti-depressant year 'round. Not just in winter. That means everyone in the house is on one now. Nadine and I are both on Lexapro and Jim is taking Cymbalta. It takes me about 30 minutes in the morning to talk myself into getting out of bed. When I first wake up, there is nothing hurting or achy, but I know all bets are off when my feet hit the floor. My knees are giveing me grief too. It is like a race to get Amargia totally accessible before my body gives out. Jim says he will design us a tandem w/c when that day comes. It seems he doesn't trust my driving. :-) I still have good days. This was one.
I got the sadly neglected NW corner about half cleaned. There were bad winds and torrential rains a few days ago that brought down tree limbs. Nadine tended the fire and actually fed the debris to the flames. I gathered the limbs, pinecones, etc. and carried them to the burn site. Will be doing more of the same tomorrow if the weather permits. Jim built and painted a new medicine cabinet today so we can keep all these new meds straight. :-) He will put the mirror doors on and hang it tomorrow. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8479610

Kay,I heard on MSNBC last night that a study of older women showed women are happiest in their 80.s For me that'll be in 2020.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 8, 2011
4:23 AM

Post #8479984

Okay, so you ladies have something to look forward to but what about us old GUYS.
Carrie, I volunteer Kay and Nadine. :-) They've switched to a summer work schedule and are under the impression that if they are getting up before first light, I should be too. Growl. Grumble. Hiss. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 8, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8480922

Kay, I tried both of those and side effects were too bad for me, happy they are working for youse guys. When Jim designs the tandem w/c, you can put fenders on his side if he thinks it's that bad. :-)

Vickie, did the study say if women got even happier as they got older than their 80s? The psychic I went to in 1979 said I would live to be 97. Want to know if I have something more to look forward to than just achieving nearly a century of being on the planet. [grin]

Jim, there is a theory in Sociology that says women were the leaders in the beginning of humanity. But that we were so aggressive in our pursuit of power and protection, we took no prisoners EVER and left only scorched earth behind for our enemies. No mercy, no quarter, just complete annihilation. Men secured control, so the theory goes, in order to save human kind. Maybe you are simply getting a teeny tiny bit of leftover ancestral feminine urge to command and control. If so, they can't help it, it's in the female genetic code. LOL
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2011
2:09 AM

Post #8482083

ROFLOL!!!!!
Jim, You'll have to be content with the reputation of Wisdom. How many time have you heard "Wise old men?" Which is why you have to get up early. The rest of your tribe need your wisdom.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 9, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8482540

My Rose fence is almost in full flower this morning. I am soooo happy. Lowes has big perennials on sale and I bought four creeping Phlox, a terra cotta color Calibrachoa, a gigantic Thrift, and two white Salvias. Plus got a Duchess of Albany Clematis, a Don Egolf Redbud (it's teeny, in a four inch pot),six Catananche Major plugs, three Catananche White plugs, three Chive plugs, three Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy plugs, three Anacyclus Garden Gnome plugs, three Linum Sapphire plugs, and three Scabiosa Fama plugs from a co-op type sale. Bought a 4 x 4 cedar raised planter last week and hope to have help putting it together this afternoon. Gotta pull some more of the hated grass. Am I the only one in Texas who thinks St. Augustine is the Devil's weed? LOL AND someone I know may start selling plants from her front porch. Now I can feel virtuous about buying all the clearance Dianthus and such last Fall because I can contribute to getting her started. (She was laid off in December--and I was the one who had to do it, soooo...)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

April 9, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8482567

I just placed an order with Johnnyseeds. Mostly for dirt blockers as I have to get better organized for seed starting but, of course, I had to include a few packets of seeds.

I have a doctor's appointment in San Diego on April 27 so I'm ordering things I can pick up then.

My foot is really sore; I will be so glad to see the doctor as it is seriously affecting my ability to do anything except lie in bed. Even sitting is iffy. Sure glad I have four dogs who think lying in bed is fine.

Made it down to the arroyo yesterday and discovered that a white bouganvilla that is part of our "non-fence" is putting out new growth. I thought it had not survived being transplanted. My two new tangerine trees are doing well.

I'm hoping to get enough energy to practice driving my new ATV.

hugs, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 9, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8482572

katie, i envy you the tangerine trees. :-)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 9, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8483052

Yeah, a little envy here too. My Owari orange is beginning to bloom, but that is the only edible citrus we have now. I don't count Kay's wicked 'Flying Dragon' bitter oranges. It is evident many people do love the contorted branches, large curved thorns and showy (not-edible-in-my-opinion) fruit since we've traded quite a few. Kay insist on keeping them for grafting experiments, but I assert my wise, world-saving, old man instincts and limit her to two pet Dragons.
Did you leave any plants for the other customers, Debra? lol.
Vickie, H2O on demand, yet? (Jim)
Photo: 'Flying Dragon' trifoliate orange

Thumbnail by seacanepain

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 9, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8483778

Oh, WOW. You are all braver souls than am I.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

April 9, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8483839

I think one of the tangerine seeds that I planted has sprouted!! The seeds are from some tangerines I found in Santa Rosalia after my trees were done producing. The fruit was large and sweet. I may be able to extend my tangerine season. Year round tangerines. Wouldn't that be a treat. If I could only grow raspberries. There's always something.

My foot has me almost blind with pain. I passed out for several hours this afternoon after doing a couple of errands. Came to about three hours later. A little over two weeks until I see the podiatrist.

Took my atv out for my first drive - and had engine problems. Tom had a crew doing concrete work at his house so I told left it with him and suggested he drive it when he got a chance. He just came over and told me there was something in the carburator and he will clean it. We are getting along OK. Guess he's figured that my "hippie" ways are not contagious.

I'm about ready to pass out again and must get the dogs fed.

hugs, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 10, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8485497

oh boy...oh dear...oh...narf. i am pooped. went out at 11:30, someone dropping by to pickup some things. dressed, but still in slide-on slippers. three and a half hours later...i finally came back in to shower--and launder the slippers. ankles hurt, back hurts, head hurts, hands swollen,got too hot, covered in mulch ('cause, by then, i was sitting on the ground tossing handfuls of it). but...look at this.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 10, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8485542

...and this. still playing with configuration of stepping stones and borders. had two russian sage, three asclepias, three achillea in holding pots. got them in the ground, along with the clematis texensis and creeping phlox. only things left still to plant for now are the calibrachoa, two red salvias, a sunflower, and an iris. have 12 hostas, 23 clematis coming (seven of the clematis are actually for others, but that leaves 16 all for meeeeeeee. LOL), and four hardy geranium in the next month. gonna have to find places for all of them...container city, here i come! :-D

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8486526

Debra,I can already see you are going to have to start making a hanging garden. Then we'll have the famous Hanging Garden of Dallas.You're roses are beautiful.I can't decide if we gardeners are martyrs or just not too bright.LOL
Watched the Rangers yesterday. Guess I'll become a Rangers fan,since i can't watch the Braves anymore.
I've cleaned and disinfected all day,and washed clothes and dishes. Sure nice to have water.
Slight chance of storms tonight then back to normal temps. We almost got up to 90* today.
I surely feel for you Katie,I remember vividly the pain of a heel spur. Know you stay off of it as much as possible.I don't remember how long i had to use a walker after the surgery. I was lucky to find one at Good Will.
Right now I have a bladder infection and another kidney stone. Guess thats why I've felt so bad.
Behave on the ATV. Please don't do any wheelies on it.
LoL
We'll be thinking of you on the 27th.
Bet Amargia folks are working daylight till dark than collapsing.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 11, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8487418

Yep, Vickie, because I forgot the 12 Hostas coming. Putting them in the ground just feeds the slugs. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8487485

Yes, I am still alive! DH and went OUTSIDE yesterday and cleaned up a little. It was so good to be outside breathing air instead of stuffiness.

I've been trying to recover from another blast of the same type of bronchitis I had in January - I feel fine, I just can't get it all coughed up. Maybe postural? Weak muscles? Weak lungs? I dunno. I finished one round of steroids and antibiotics. All the lying around has me composing like mad - wish I could play it for you somehow!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 11, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8488971

Jasmine is blooming. There are tiny peaches, plums and apples forming and little green blueberries. The fig is leafing out. We will have tons of dewberries if the numbers of flowers are any indication.
We finally get to go forward with the plan for the front yard now that the old pine is gone. I weeded and MK worked on the new retaining wall. PJ says the north side yard has become so pink he is going to call the new Inspiration Garden area his. He sees the potential there now that we've cleaned it up. He declares the color scheme is going to be red, white and blue and is looking for shade plants in those colors. I think he is serious. He was looking at an astilbe called 'Red Sentinel' and studying how to keep the hydrangea blue. We turned the one in the Cando Container Garden pink. :-) ~N~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 11, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8488991

Along with the Astilbes, he might think about Scilla and Scabiosas for blue; Indian Pink (spigelia marilandica), which is NOT pink, and Lobelia cardinalis for red; Salvia, Lily of the Valley, and Camellias or Gardenias. Red, white, and blue sounds like a neato garden (technical term, that).
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 13, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8494102

Okee, Jim, take a look at these:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/125998/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/293519/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/234041/

Got them today. Very generous "double fans" and a bonus gift actually separated out to three, four, and even five of each. Planted all this evening. As soon as they have taken hold and recover from shipping and such, will some to send you if you like any or all of the three. THEY ARE NOT PINK! LOL

This message was edited Apr 13, 2011 9:56 PM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8494171

Nadine, Your pic is of Mock Orange--Right? I've got some of those. I love them.
We've got tiny pears. Have'nt seen any blackberrys.
Have'nt been doing anything yet. Still feel pretty sick. May have to break down and go to the doctor.
Debra, Plant some onion or garlic bulbs among your hostas. Tho one woman i told that too said the slugs love the onions too. Those DL,s are bea-u-t-ful.
Have been looking at camaras.
I had a flea infestaton hit in the HOUSE! and i came unglued. SIL sprayed for me and have'nt seen any more but when i go to town i'll have to get sevin dust for the yard. The one downside of forest living is every wild critter has fleas.and are more than willing to share.I hate the nasty things.
I bought a red astilbe at Walmarts. Its not planted yet.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8495467

Oh Vickie, I hope you didn't catch it from me!!!!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 14, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8495605

Yes, Vickie, itís a mock orange. It is gorgeous at the moment, but MK still wants to move it out of the Fragrance Garden because it is a modern cultivar that doesnít have much scent. She wants to sniff around for the old-fashion variety. :-)
Iím going to find room for this Mock Orange in my corner as soon as it is finished blooming. It puts on as dramatic a show as the Bridal Wreath Spirea and comes into bloom just as the Spirea is fading. Iím not concerned about its light scent. The fragrance of Japanese honeysuckle is so powerful in my corner during April another highly scented plant blooming at the same time would be overkill.
Japanese honeysuckle is a very common woodland plant here and there is a wooded area that makes up the southern boundary of my corner. I thought wild Japanese honeysuckle vines were native plants for most of my life. Itís funny, but Iíve never seen the native (Lonicera sempervirens) Alabama Crimson honeysuckle (aka: Coral honeysuckle) in the wild. lol.
I made a little extra money filling out surveys the last few days. I made $130 and PJ made $60. Iím not sure why PJ and I get selected for these things, but the money comes in handy. I havenít been sleeping well so havenít had much energy lately. MK cut me some slack. She is letting me paint tires inside in air conditioned comfort. Iíve also been painting paint cans to use as hanging planters and for storage. Some of them have come out cute enough to sell. We donít have curbside recycling here so re-purposing things that would end up in landfills seems like worthwhile work. Now, if I could only figure out what to do with all the milk jugs. We formerly saved them to put in the recycling bins on the military base, but theyíve stopped that program. We will need to get even more creative or find another recycling drop site nearby. .
After several years of trying, MK has finally succeeded in establishing thymes. Humidity seems to be the key here. The chamomile is flowering. I need to get busy and learn the best way to dry it for tea.
Carrie, hang in there. At the rate computerised music tech is moving, you WILL be able to share it soon. When Vocaloids first came out (2004), the voices sounded synthesized, but I can't tell the singer isn't human with the latest version. Your more decerning ear might be able to tell, but most people can't.
PJ is battling gremlins in his computer. He will probably be around later today. ~Nadine~
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

April 14, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8495623

Amazon has a good book on making things from plastic, including milk jugs. It's very good.

katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8495657

How about those darn plastic bags?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

April 14, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8495745

They can be fused into material. Google it. Lots of intersting ideas out there. All it takes is the energy to do them!

katie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8496498

The year I was 7 or 8, my very crafty aunt made Easter baskets for all of we children out of milk jugs. There were 10 children in the house at the time and things like that get expensive x10. They were made to look like rabbits, lambs and ducks. The head was made with a Styrofoam ball screwed down and glued where the lid was. A hole was cut high in front, opposite the handle and the edges were covered with ribbon so they werenít sharp. They were decorated with toole, curling ribbon and beads and just so cute I donít think it crossed any of our minds the adults were going cheap. The colors and decorations were geared to each individual childís preferences. That made them extra special. I canít describe any of the purchased Easter baskets I had as a child, but I still have a mental picture of my one-of-a-kind milk jug Easter basket.
Iíve tripled plastic shopping bags, filled them with dirt, tied them off, lined them up and covered them with Kwik-Crete to make a fast erosion barrier. That's just a twist on sandbagging though. I hear you laughing at the idea of someone making rocks, Vickie. But, remember, we donít have many rocks larger than pebbles here.
I saw a water bottle carrier once made from crocheted strips of plastic shopping bags, but Iíve never tried doing it. I bet people have used that technique to make other things. Kay*

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 14, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8496709

I think all three new daylilies are beautiful acquisitions, Debra, but 'When I Dream' ROCKS! (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 15, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8497486

Okee, Jim. If I don't kill 'em, will send you some as soon as it looks like they will ship okay.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8497953

I thought that Jim was saying he dreamed of rocks and Debra was going to ship him some rocks!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 15, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8498203

I can do that, too. :-) And next year, after they multiply a little, might just send him a benign vampire to go with the Dream rocks.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/164473/

(this guy was the main reason for the order. not keen on the color all that much, but what black and white monster movie fan could pass it up?)

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 16, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8500585

Since they have a ĎBela Lugosií daylily, someone should develop a ĎBoris Karloffí and ĎVincent Priceí daylily. :-) They would be must-haves for a goth theme garden.
I've been checking out Gothic themed gardens today. Making a path into the woods has made it vulnerable to erosion so MK extended the line of dark leaf cannas into the woods for erosion control. It is perfect from a practical perspective. Cana indica 'Purpurea' is so hardy and has such an extensive root system it is good for erosion control. Nearer the house where it gets full sun it turns a coppery-brown accented with olive green. But, in the shade of the woods, they will stay dark. It will have violet to burgundy leaves, depending on how deep the shade is.) Now we need to come up with a design that will work with that dark backdrop I might try a sales pitch for Goth in that space. I saw some interesting dark and mysterious characters when I was looking through the Whatcom Seeds catalog. Although, I believe I would want punches of crisp white for contrast.
I always thought the grove had an eerie feel to it even before MK told me the story behind the concrete water trough. It is a feeling evoked by the hanging Spanish moss, I think. The old concrete watering trough will make a great planter, but it was originally made to be a grave liner. That does suggest a goth theme, doesn't it? lol. . ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 16, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8500653

nadine, if the daylilies do well, i will send you a bela :-)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 16, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8500684

...and a moonlit masquerade, if you think it will fit with the theme. that was the bonus daylily and it is a rebloomer (bela is single season). has both the really dark purple AND white. a two-fer! :-)

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8501006

Thatís okay, Carrie. Because of the way my reader said it, I thought Debra had multiplying rocks for a moment. Darn, I wanted some of those. It would save me a lot of concrete work.
Iím afraid a flower cultivar named ĎBoris Karloffí would inevitably be drawn into the ďfranken-flowerĒ controversy. ;-)
http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/15157
Ö.and I canít even begin to imagine what a ĎVincent Priceí daylily would look like. Now, Bela Lugosi, thatís different. He had charisma. Iíve always thought he could have made it big as a mainstream actor, if only he could have managed to tone down the accent. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2011
11:32 PM

Post #8501107

OK Now you need my Armageden Iris.
Kay, I've got the multiplying rocks. Oh boy a haunted grove. A few venus flytraps is needed. LOL Oh and hide your garden gnome behind a tree,
Am praying you guys escaped the storms. We got storms but no tornadoes.
I was feeling pretty bad and DD came and stayed with me. Am so much better today. But till not up to par.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 17, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8503028

Didn't do a lot outside today. Have another cold and feeling whiny. But did plant the Caryopteris Snow Fairy and two Weigela Midnight Wine (I swear, I did NOT notice it had pink flowers until AFTER hitting "buy"!!) Moved a Chrysanthemum, watered, pulled some grass. Checked on some Echinacea Sundowns I potted up, two of them for Carrie. Doing really well so far and I am pleased--one has a bud on it already. Grabbed a can of white spray paint out of the store room and was going to mark lines on the grass for the next bed and walkway in front. But the dang-it thing musta set on the shelf too long. paint is so thick it won't spray!! prolly just as well, think using a rope or cord will be better until the lines are finalized, then use a new can to paint when we figure out what we're going to do.

bid and won 1,225 baby plants for a former employee to get a side business started. (blue salvia, white verbena, white mini petunia, rose geranium, rose mini petunia, and 'vanilla' gazania). i'm keeping 60, so think going to need those new beds soon--or a whole bunch of pots... [grin]
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 17, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8503260

I hope you are completely better soon, Vickie. Hereís a beautiful woodbine honeysuckle for you that Papa Jim found in the grove.

Thumbnail by Sansai87

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8505345

Debra, Jim says he's not buying your story about the 'Midnight Wine' weigela. :-) He's still convinced you're part of the pink conspiracy. He ordered that 'Red Sentinel' astilbe so it appears he is going through with the red, white and blue garden. I think it goes without saying which garden we will be celebrating our 4th's in. As long as he doesn't decide he needs a cannon or something of the sort for ambiance, we will be okay.
I've just been doing some garden task for Jim today. I re-potted his ponytail palm (bottle palm) to an extra large container on wheels and planted the newest muscadine grape hybrid Jim found at the nursery.
I was going to make a Journal entry for the new grape, but wasn't able to find a PlantFiles match. Has anyone else run into that problem? I usually go in through a Google search. Think that could be why it isn't showing up? All I can find is an entry for the wild muscadines.
I put the honeysuckle pic above in PF. Everyone said it was good. No one can accuse DG of discrimination. They used the work of a blind photographer. ROFL. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2011
10:48 PM

Post #8505544

I loved the honeysuckle.
LOL! I hope your hybrd muscadine is not like the white ones i got from Lowes. It is like a Kudzu and wants to take over the world. Also the birds always beat me to the ripe berrys.Which reminds me I saw strawberrys to pick today. Hope to get SIL to go pick some tomorrow with me.Fresh strawberrys mmmmm Heaven.
I went to a local grocery store instead of Walmarts. They have a larger variety of most things. I can't see that big a difference in prices either.
I don't know if i mentioned it but am considering getting rid of all my fancy phone extras and Dish TV,so i can have more money to do stuff with.I really injoyed spending a couple of nights in a motel when we did'nt have water. I might even get half way civilized. Reckon?

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8506975

Not too civilized to associate with Amargians, I hope. lol. We're a pretty wild bunch.
The latest muscadine hybrid Jim is trying is ĎSouthern Home.í It is a black bunching cultivar that some claim makes good red wine.
In my experience, rampant vines are the nature of the muscadine grape beast. Iíve tried all the different trellis systems used for European grape varieties. The traditional overhead arbor like you see on virtually all old southern farmsteads still works best for muscadines in my opinion. Trying to use the single arm trellises like you see in California vineyards was a pruning nightmare when we tried to use it for muscadines and their hybrids. Iím hearing from commercial growers that pruning muscadine vines as severely as they do European grapes cuts way down on yields anyway. We are working with 3-armed trellises and overhead arbors and 5 varieties, so far. I do want to add at least one more type grown primarily for its large, succulent leaves. My DD, Melinda, loves Greek food and good grape leaves for wrapping foods are not always easy to find in the stores.
I told Jim, if we are going to have all these muscadines, one of us needs to start making grape vine wreaths for the craft stores. Lol. Muscadine could certainly keep a person in wreath making material.
Vickie, I imagine the furry and feathered neighbors think of your muscadine as exotic treats. Much the way the deer view Jimís apples here. So far weíve been lucky; the wild animals seem to prefer the wild muscadines that grow in their woodland to whatís in the garden.
Strawberries! All I have are the ones I grow for groundcover in the flower beds. Jim found a couple he PLANNED to share, but somehow they didnít make it all the way from where he found them, to the garden sink, to where I was working. :-( They ended up in his mouth somewhere along the way.
Debra, is the friend you are helping just going to be selling locally? Kay*

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 19, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8507359

Vickie, Summers with my paternal grandmother on the farm was a Heaven on Earth with gooseberries, cob corn, and new dug potatoes. But there is nothing ON this Earth better to eat fresh than ripe strawberries straight off the vines. :-)

Kay, she is going to start out selling containers off her porch. Her house is older, small, and now backs up to $700,000.00 homes in a new development. Lots of new traffic on the two-lane road, and people from those houses stop, wanting to buy her own plants. They think its 'quaint'...so... [grin]

This message was edited Apr 20, 2011 5:16 PM

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8509285

Hm-m-m, new homeowners with only the basic landscaping passing by all the time...that sounds like it could work out well..
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2011
2:41 AM

Post #8510407

Yeah! These housing developements that cut all the trees down and name the streets after them. OFF my bandstand now. LOL
Living with my grandmother did have its goodtimes. I was welcome to help myself to any fruit or veggie at anytime and i did. and everything is better straight from the tree,vine or plant. I even loved English peas straight from the vines. I found out in a hurry that somethings have to ripen tho. like peaches and plums. I kinda liked an occasional green grape.Tho i wont buy one if its green.
Debra, your neighbor should do good.
LOL Kay, When my GS stayed here years ago, His strawberrys never made it to the house either. I did'nt complain cause i picked too and they were good for him.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 22, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8513490

I really meant to give her that strawberry! I really did! I washed it for her and everything. Putting it in my mouth was some sort of involuntary response.
You ladies have inspired Nadine to put strawberries in the hanging containers she made from paint buckets. I think it is her way of guaranteeing she gets some strawberries.
I'm resurrecting a resurrection plant. Kay is rolling her eyes, she calls it spike moss. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2011
11:32 PM

Post #8514538

Jim, We all know you meant to give that strawberry to Kay. I can just see you as you look all around.Then look down at the strawberry.Than a big smile as that juicy berry disappears down your throat.Well I've been guilty too. LOL
Whats a Resurection plant? Spike Moss?
More thunder boomers tonight.Well we need the rain.
The fairybells have 2 blooms.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8515568

They are a novelty plant you see in the stores around Easter. It's a native of the Mexico/N. American deserts. They claim it can be in its dried up tumbleweed state as long as 50 years and still be revived. You put them in water and they green up in a day's time. It is a fascinating process to watch, but then you have to figure out what to do with it. Interestingly, genetic engineers are using genetic material from them to produce more drought tolerant food plants. It's a very, very old plant species. Jim and Nadi both love the odd-balls of the plant world.
Resurrection plant, False Rose of Jericho, Spike moss
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53493/
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 23, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8515951

my yard is getting more crowded with stuff i WANT to see. yea! less boo, hiss! st. augustine

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 23, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8516079

I have to temporarily call a halt to creating hanging pots from old paint cans on account of nesting season. lol. The cans I had drilled drainage holes in, but not painted yet, were hanging together on a bungie cord. Some birds obviously thought they would make fine nesting sites. There are already eggs in the nest inside one of the cans. We live in the woods. You wouldnít think the birds around here would have a housing shortage.
I did decide to put strawberries in my Okami pot. The pots are geared to anime fans. Okami is a game with a wolf character named Amaterasu who does magic by painting with her tail. :-) ~Nadine~

http://okamiworld.com/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=4

Thumbnail by Sansai87

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 23, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8516146

Ni-i-c-c-e, Debra.
I'm not allowed to touch the planted buckets. They say I can't be trusted with strawberries.
Could you wave or something to let us know you're okay, Carrie. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 23, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8516180

Kay, what a nifty plant!

Nadine, that is so fun. :-)

Jim, I think Carrie is traveling a lot this month and next. Hopefully she is well and just away.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 23, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8516524

That's good to hear! I was afraid she might be sick.
I promised Kay a picnic on the beach tomorrow so Happy Easter, Everyone! (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8517703

Jim, That was thoughtful and sweet.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8519270

Yeah, he does that sweet and thoughtful thing sometimes to keep us off-balance. It makes our current decision tough. Nadi found ripe dewberries alongside our road when we took the garbage can out to the main road for pick-up this morning. Now, we have to decide whether to share them with Jim or not. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8519613

No, I wish I were travelling! I'm fine, still coughing too much, but composing the heck out of something. Thinking of starting an opera! I would write all night if I could. I want to take composition lessons (haven't had a lesson since 1988 and my style has certainly changed). Also ordered a whole bunch of plugs from eBay and have to pay and get them potted up! Plus school vacation is awful b/c I need a substitute PCA. And I'd rather have wine than just whine!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 26, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8521418

Carrie mentioned an online purchase and I looked them up...Six plugs each of Coreopsis Early Sunrise, variegated Oregano, Gold Lemon Thyme, and Golden Oregano later...Vickie, Kay, Carrie. Would you guys like a plug of of any of these? My Mother's Day gift to you. :-)

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 26, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8522632

Took this at 6:30 this evening. Weird what storm cloud cover can do to lighting.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8523132

Jim's says that is a cool pic. Is the variegated oregano Cuban oregano or an honest-to-goodness oregano? I had a variegated Cuban oregano in my central Florida garden. You can use it like "real" oregano. But, I learned the hard way when I tried to grow it outside here it couldn't tolerate Zone 8b winters. I should have grown it in a pot.
Nadine has buried herself in studying up on the local wildlife. She had a close encounter with a fox while she was picking wild dewberries. Jim has been painting the kitchen all day. I'm sure he's told you a time or 200 how much he loves painting. I spent the day working on the w/c ramp. Running behind schedule on that. Hope the boss doesn't dock my pay or something. :-) Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8524233

You guys be careful and head for cover if need be. We're praying for you.
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 27, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8525057

Kay, the grower said it is Origanum majorana 'Variegata'
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8525395

Huntsville where Jim,Kay and Nadene live was hit by a tornado. I did.nt see that anyone was killed.They will be without electricity for 4 days. Lets keep them in our thoughts and prayers.
Alabama was hit hard. My sympathy goes out to all Alabamans.
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 27, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8525450

Vickie, are you sure? The address I have for them is in the southeast corner of the state. I think the damage is in the central and north parts.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8525463

Debra, You are so right. I feel very foolish. I thought they had said it was near Huntsville. I've mentioned it and they never corrected me. But i just looked it up on a map.
There is alot of difference.
Must be getting old and senile.
Vickie
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 27, 2011
11:34 PM

Post #8525521

PJ or MK probably mentioned Huntsville in passing, Vickie. I think MK lived in Huntsville at one time and I know PJ spent time with his brother when he was stationed at Redstone Arsenal. PJ told me once his time at the space camp and museum there was why he chose the Air Force. Sorry for any confusion. We are way down in the SE corner of the state in what is called the ďtri-states area.Ē SW Georgia, SE Alabama, NW Florida. We are just a hop, skip and a jump from both the Florida and the Georgia state line.
All the nasty stuff is north of us. Chances of tornadoes are still in the moderate range for us, 5. The North and Central parts of the state are still at 9. Melinda just called to check on her mother which is why Iím still awake. Her in-laws in Georgia were hit. The worst will pass over us between 3 and 6-o-clock. Right now, there are just heavy thunderstorm warnings. Donít think Iíll be sleeping much tonight. I heard AR was hit hard by this same front. How are things in your part of the world? ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 28, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8526097

No, Vickie, you are just concerned about friends. :-)

Thank you, Nadine. [hug]
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 28, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8526108

Travis, Jacob and Amymone (Kay's grandchildren) are in Tuscaloosa. We have decided to try and physically get to them. Ground lines and cell services are out. Take care, all. (Jim)

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8527533

GC's are okay. Tornado passed about 7 miles from their house. We appreciate your concern, Vickie. It's been a long day. Night all. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2011
3:14 AM

Post #8529651

Am so glad everyone is ok.Hope all can rest up over the weekend.
I'm gonna have to conjure up a different picture of you guys now. Will have to see you squishing your toes in the sand.A truely fun thing.Do you have palm trees around close. I'm ashamed to say,I've never been along the coast that far south.Only MA,MASS,NJ,TX and Virginia and CAL.
Oh,just thought. You'll have some of those beautiful old plantations.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 30, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8529995

I think I have become officially addicted. :/

See this?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/291117/
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230571392030&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123

The first photo is on the DG member's profile on another site and I really liked it. Asked her the name, then looked it up. $100. ACK! Okay, ain't happenin'. So, last night while looking around for "specials" got a whim to check on it again. Found it on eBay for $25 (and half off, at that). Okay, not so bad, really like it, I'm really cheap on other purchases, so spend for this one. But, THEN...uh-oh, oh dear, oh my goodness--started looking at the seller's OTHER Daylilies...and bought these, too...sad, sad, sad. LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHINESE-CHARIOT-DF-B12F-Salter-1988-DAYLILY-/230608073657
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290508973418&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I don't have a practical place to put ANY of them. Going to have to speed up the plans on making the next bed, or get some larger containers. But, if the blooms are even close to the color displayed by the seller's photos, wellllll...[grin] There are worse things with which I could be obsessed (and have been in the past!).

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8530781

There are times during high summer I wish I did still live in Huntsville where I could escape to the coolness of the nearby mountains. I have fond memories of hiking Monte Sano and hang gliding off Keel Mountain. Not that I would want to do the latter again, but I think itís one of those experiences that is good to have when you are young and still able. Any hang gliding or para-sailing clubs in your part of the world, Vickie? I think the air is too turbulent for the sport in some mountainous regions. I would like Nadine to have the experience of hang gliding or para-sailing once. Nadi thinks I was insanely daring when I was young. While, to me, she seems rather timid for one so young. Her Dad was a little over-protective while mine always pushed me hard to get out and do the same things my brothers and sisters did. I guess that makes a difference.
We had a date palm that came from Israel in front of our church when I was little. It survived, but it tended to look sort of ratty because it wasnít happy with our winters. The elders eventually decided to cut it down. Of course, the fact that we kids would throw the fruit at one another might have had something to do with their decision as well. :-)
The palms you see here are usually the cold-hardy kind like Pindo, Windmill, Washingtonia, and Canary Island Date, Needle, Cabbage, Mediterranean Fan, Sabal Minor, Texas Sabal and the like. Jim has two bottle palms (ponytail palms). One of them is just beginning to develop its ďbottle,Ē but we bring those indoors during the winter.
Yes, we are in the ďcoastal sand hills,Ē but keeping our sand on our hill is a challenge sometimes. That is what Iíve been working on lately aside from the ramp. The recent rain would have been welcome if the amount had come down over several days instead of several hours. It was the type of rain my Mom always called a ďgully washer.Ē Now I understand the reference. It is mostly the driveway that is giving me grief. Since the drive circles the property inside the boundaries, itís a major challenge. I want to keep the drive the way it is for easy access to all the areas because Jim uses the riding mower to get around the property these days. I want to make sure he can continue to do that.
Definitely worse things you could be addicted to, Debra. The only danger daylilies pose is to your pocketbook and, perhaps, your back. Donít work too hard this weekend Hugs to all. Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 30, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8531362

oh dear, oh dear. 10 gazanias, six salvias, four petunias, nine clematis waiting to be planted. six each of two kinds of oregano, six gold lemon thyme, six coreopsis potted to grow more sturdy roots. two hellebores, three blue-eyed grass, and four groundcover thymes coming in may. AND four new peonies ordered today for fall shipping. then there are the five drift roses ordered in january that will ship in september. not that i mind getting rid of the grass, i want to RIP that stuff out (grrr). in theory, there will be the green amber planters, too. it's just all coming faster than i thought and no 'kid' help in sight for awhile. maybe i should lose my internet cable, instead of my debit card? those plant co-ops are a powerful dr...um, draw. LOL

kay, carrie, vickie? would you like a gold and a variegated oregano? maybe a lemon thyme, too, hmmmmm? it's not enabling, really it's not...

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 1, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8532269

Nadine, found this paragraph on bees on paghat's. What do you think?

"'Sunrise' coreopsis is ideal for the bouquet garden because it has such long straight stems. It is also a favorite of bees & other pollinators. Bees by & large see only blue & yellow, so a mixed bed of, say, blue scabiosas & yellow coreopsis will be great bee-attractants (red flowers are trying to attract other pollinators, including hummingbirds). This is certainly not to say bees don't find red or purple flowers; I see them all over purple rhodies & bright red beebalms (though often the deepest reds actually have some blue in them which our eyes can't see, but are telegraphing to bees). Though bees will pollinate everything, for maximum attraction, blues & yellows excite them best. "

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 1, 2011
9:59 PM

Post #8533612

Yep, coreopsis are my friends! Easy to grow and the bees love them. There is a sunny corner in the Old Soldierís Garden and Iíve been moving the red daylilies there. PJ's hummers seem very fond of red. My easily confused, novice gardener brain originally planned putting a single kind of plant in each planter in my planter maze. It seemed at first to be a fine idea. I quickly discovered that is a waste of space and it meant more weeding. Plus, it was visually boring. Think blue salvia could hold its own with coreopsis? We thought we had lost the blue salvia, but I saw some coming back. I like the blue/yellow combination myself.
I know MK thought it would be the lemon thyme that had the best chance of success in our humidity. You do see it more in local gardens than other thymes. To our surprise, it has been the orange balsam that took best to Amargia. Iím not even sure the lemon thyme cuttings survived this winter so that would be welcome here, Iím sure. The orange balsam thrived and multiplied like crazy. I think the initial cutting came from you. Has the orange balsam done as well there? Iíve discovered bees love thyme, but Iím not sure what the appeal is. It is not flowering yet, but they hang out in both the orange balsam and the English thyme. MK says most thymes are anti-bacterial, anti-viral and even get rid of parasites so I guess itís like a bee bath house or a quick visit to the doctorís office for a vaccination. One thing is for sure, I know I have the best smelling bees around.
I'm gonna go find out what gazanias are before I go to bed. :-) ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2011
11:35 PM

Post #8533675

My colors seem to have got out of controll.Thats ok,Ilove wild colors anyway.I have reds,yellows,purples,pinks. One never knows where 2 colors are going to appear.
It's been raining here so have washed everything that will wash in machine.Set my Christmas cactus out to get a good washing. Will probably leave them out for the summer.Wish i could get my right ankle and left knee to cooperate with me.Am doing a double hobble all over the house.LOL Breathing has been good tho.
Debra,Do you ever take a Friday or Monday off?
I came across 2 bandanas i had got for my dogs. They are now sporting green and blue bandanas.
I am now the owner of another cat. DD,s big grey cat has fully moved in.It will be awhile before my crew will accept her. but she is here to stay.
I'll need to go get monthly grocerys tomorrow.Am thinking about going to Russellville.I injoy the stores there. Specially Lowes and Hobby Lobby.
I finally found a pizza i don't like. I bought some Tonys pizza on sale.To me it was tasteless. YUK!
Nadine, I stuff my containers as full as i dare.I like a riot of flowers.Of course i have to water and fertlize often.
Saw my first hummingbird today.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 2, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8535411

Nadine, save some room for a few more red Daylilies. May be September before they are really sturdy enough to ship again, but got 'em earmarked for Amargia. Blue Salvia will look outstanding with the Coreopsis. Next week, I will send two plugs each of Salvia Cislano (it's blue), Coreopsis Early Sunrise, and Gold Lemon Thyme. Did send an Orange Balsam cutting, happy that it is thriving. The parent plant is doing okay, as is the Spicy Orange. Nutmeg and Archer's Gold died, guess it was too hot/cold/dry/wet here for them. :-) Gazanias are annuals, but do well in heat and humidity. Attract butterflies and bees, too. They are mildly poisonous to pets, but the ASPCA says not too serious.

"Species of Gazania, also referred to as treasure flower, do have the potential to cause mild to moderate gastrointestinal irritation, depending on the quantity ingested. Because of this, pets should be discouraged from nibbling on this plant. But donít worry too much, Shannon. We wouldnít anticipate severe or life-threatening clinical problems should your cockapoo decide to sample your Gazania. "

The one I bought is Gazania Gazoo Clear Vanilla. Be happy to send a few of those, too. :-D
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/290585/ This one is less fullly petaled than most, but the colors are pretty.

Vickie, usually work six days a week, unless I'm really ill. Cats know their own. If there is ever an antihistamine that WORKS on cat allergies, I'd like to introduce a kitten to the pooches. Watched "Too Cute" on Animal Planet and they were really too cute. LOL
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 2, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8535607

We did our monthly shopping today. I'm sure glad I have help. I used my w/c and stillI came home exhausted, but not in pain. Yes!!!
Nadine sent me two funny videos showing encounters between cats and bears. In one the bear was eating the cat's food and the cat kept yawling and swiping at bear's nose. The other actually showed a house cat chasing a bear. I guess we can rest assured you are safe from bears.
Recently, I wouldn't have minded having a cat. The inside was open to the outside while I was working on the dishwasher and what the Terminex guy called a deer mouse got inside. He may still be in my woodworking shop, but at least we got him out of the house itself. Deer mice are apparently much smarter than the normal house mouse or field mouse and they are excellent climbers. They hoard food like squirrels. It stuffed the compresser overflow in the refrigerator full of Beneful stolen from Tater-dog's bowl. The dogs were doing their best to catch it which was a disaster in and of itself. It was like the movie, "Mousetrap." We finally had to call in the professionals.
Debra, you are charged wit contributing to the deflation of my bank account! You just had to go and tell the ladies about gazanias didn't you? To make it worse, Nadine likes the pink ones. lol. Those are cool. (Except for the pink ones, of course.) Jim.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 2, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8535638

Jim, that is FUNNY! (from here, anyway)

Oh, dear, sorry (head hung, shamefaced). But, Jim. I only introduced them to the nice soft non-pink vanilla ones. They're aren't THAT expensive. And they reseed themselves. And they are cheery. And they attract butterflies and bees. And they do come in hurt-your-eyes-bright oranges and yellows, too...[grin]
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 3, 2011
10:48 PM

Post #8538599

I was hoping this mouse would out-maneuver the exterminator. I kept jerbels and hamsters when I was a kid and he reminded me more of those than a normal house mouse. I kinda thought he was cute in a rascally way. I started calling him Speedy Gonzales. I think MK and PJ thought I was losing it when I first described the climbing mouse with huge anime eyes that dumped my popcorn bowl and got into MK's bag of jellybeans on top of the fridge late at night. No one but me saw him at first. He made quite an impression on MK when she finally encountered him. Who would have thought she was the sort of lady who would stand on a chair and screech at the top of her lungs for a man to save her. Didn't SHE call ME timid somewhere on this forum recently? ROFL.
PJ harvested over a gallon of English peas today and it looks like the vines will be producing for a few more weeks. I would never have expected a pea named 'Alaska' to stand up to the heat this long. I'm still harvesting lettuce from the partially shaded containers on the porch rail. What is in the sunny w/c garden is starting to taste bitter. I am sold on loose-leaf lettuces now. ~Nadine~
. .
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8544186

Now I know what happened to the Amargia computer to break it down. Mr Speedy got into it for revenge and ate all the
cheese flavored wires.
Jim has vowed to get back on line ASAP.
I've been in heaven working in my flowers.The house is getting harder to find a pathway thru. Thats ok, I just need a straight line to the frig and microwave.LOL
My cats called 911 yesterday.Apparently when they hopped they landed on the 911 button. I was so imbarressed when the deputy showed up at my house. He was nice about it tho.(He only drove 35 miles to get here.)Gonna have to take them a cake or cookies. The sherrif not the cats.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 6, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8544397

Oh, gosh, Vickie! I do love seeing a man in uniform, but agree those may not have been the most comfortable of circumstances. :-)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8546934

You're right Debra, But am glad in a way that they checked to see if all was well.I just hate that it happened. I've got the phone semi sorta protected from cats,with a box over it. I figure it will be safe for a week untill they discover how much fun it is to scoot the box off the table.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8547589

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! Sorry I haven't been around at all. Love the cats dialing 911. Nadine, I have lemon thyme (I think) overwintering in a container up here, so it's not COLD that's doing yours in.

I'm dancing as fast as I can to keep up with all the annuals I ordered. Never going to the NE Forum again (that's what started me on the idea).
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 8, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8548108

Vickie, it is reassuring, isn't it. [hug]

Carrie, a little dancing is good for the soul. :-)

Overdid today. Four straight hours and it was WARM. One of the kids at the office came over Friday and dug up the Graham Thomas I've never really liked, he gave it to his mom for a Mother's Day present. Good boy. Replaced it this afternoon with one of the baby Warminster Brooms got couple of months back (gift certificates are soooo cool :-). The rose was in the gap between the two decorative fences in front. If the Broom doesn't do well or get big enough, there's always something else to fit. Like maybe a trellis with Clematis Roguchi or sumpin. Planted a Sundown Echinacea, June Hosta, couple of Gold Oreganos, a variegated Oregano, a Gold Lemon Thyme, a Carl Sedum, couple of Cosmic Eye Coreopsis and more stuffs ah cain't remember whats they may bees. Moved some things. Dug up a Hope Echinacea that slugs devoured, want to see if it recovers in a pot. Watered. Dug, pulled, and packed some plants to send out tomorrow to a DGer who lost most of hers over the winter. Giving her a bunnnnnch of Bearded Iris. Even San Antonio weather can't kill THEM! [grin] Fingers crossed I'm not all stove up tomorrow, but running out of cool-enough-to-get-outside weather and still have a lot to do. Although, I think I have--finally--finished buying until September. Maybe...if no other sales or co-ops come up...if I can restrain this addiction to getting moremoremoremore...if...ROFL
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8551379

Debra,I tell you it's a lost cause!!!!
I bought a blue hydrangia,a couple Butterfly bushes,Rosemoss,more cukes,tomatoes and several LARGE flower pots to plant them in and a couple styrfoam icechests to plant in too.
I found a rose blooming today,I thought had died several years ago. I don't remember the exact name Tropical Sunset i think. It's a peachy orange(unusual for a rose) Am gonna dig it up and pot the thing. I have some beautiful flowers just covered in poison ivy. My DD does'nt want my SIL to mess with it even tho he's immune to it. Next week I'm gonna dig in and rescue my plants and hope for the best. I'll cover up good and wrap myself in plastic. Maybe i ought to do it tomorrow since I'm going to the doctor Thursday anyway. LOL
Any way it is so good to work in my flowers and outside. I can only do a little than rest before i can do more. But hay! Whose on a time schedule?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 10, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8551907

Vickie you are probably right, but I will hold onto my delusions of control for a little longer. ROFL
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8556913

I bought some poison ivy poison today. Am going to use it in one spot and hot vinegar and water in another to see how each works. Vinegar is alot cheaper. If the chance of rain is great,I'll wait.
It is so great to be outside tho i had to go into town today. Bought another big pot and another hydrangia. House work is a must tomorrow too than back to doctors Thursday.
Have been going thru my old flowerbeds to decide about the poison .There are several thing i can rescue. I've got some stuff to kill the ivy but it kills everything else.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2011
12:26 AM

Post #8559448

Where is Carrie, and Sheri? Are you guys having wild birthday partys?lol I REALLY MISS EVERYONE!!!!!!
Actually I know all are busy planting and soaking up this warmth. Oh and putting computers back to rights. Carrie are you still on an artists roll with your music?
The weather is going to turn coolish tomorrow.
I have a spotless and shined coffee table. The only clean thing in the living room.
My cats killed a snake today.Poor ole Dillen dog slipped out the door today and got caught in a heavy rain. Poor baby came in soaked and not a happy camper. I unfeelingly laughed my head off.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 13, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8560071

Vickie, two of my dogs hate being wet, too. I have a time of it getting them out to "do their business" when its raining. Isn't it glorious? I am soooo not ready for heat. Heard from Jim yesterday, they are still waiting for the service provider to get their area reconnected. Fingers crossed it will be soon.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8560515

I some how lost you all. There have been some shocking and significant events here that I have tried and tried to post, but they keep dissapearing somehow.

Elvis wrote to his doghouse friends and so I am just gonna copy his post here so you will know .
As you read it please over look the misspellings, etc. He is a dog and a blind one that can only hear hollering (soon be deaf)

Hugs all around & prayers too,
sheri
edited to add Elvis's letter about our recent events

post #8560479

Edit

Hi eberybodee,
Elvis here. Momze had what she called a "significant old birfsday" on Monday.
Sombodee broke in our basement door Saturday while Momxz & Granmonz was walkin in the water at the Y. They came straight upstairs and to her bedroom jewelry armoir. All of her gold and precious jewels, rings & earings, some antique pieces nearly a hunderd years old. Also,she only took a fanny pak to the Y and so $120 was taken from her big wallet. They got her Canon EOS camera and a ver spensive zoom lense. Momz is praying for these people . Pookie and I barked and we know who did it. It looked like the people Momz has been ministering to for about 1 1/2 years, helping and encouraging them.

I jes dont understand why somebody who has been here petted me n Pookie and sposed to be Momz's friend could do something like that.
She & ;the police hab been talking bout over $20,000 dollars. that mus be a lot cause she was jus in shock for a day or so. She an some men from the church who builded her a ramp to the driveway has prayed an prayed. They ordered a real gud door for the basement and in the meantime Momz has mthe riding mower tight up against that dool. Don't think anybody can push one of them backward when in forward gear and brakes on.

Those people took 3 crosses & don't realize that they stole from God! Momz always says eberthing we hab isn't really ours it is God's, and He jes lets us use it.

Pookie might hab to take ober my writin job here. I cant see an only hear loud hollars, I leaks an has to wear a "belly band" now. Sometimes I fall trying to go down the steps to the back yard an I gets confused really easy.

Pookie is having nightmares since the bad people came. He cries in his sleep and his whole body looks like he's running for his life. We don't know what kinda people had him for his first 4 (or 5) years...he had jes got comfortable here and not acting scared. Now that is back, Poor little cousin.
He asked me to tell you that he is takin obedence classes an loves em as much as I did when
I was younger like him.

We bof are goin out back to bark real loud to the 4 winds, so...listen for us.

Yer gud buddy Elvis an my nephew (or some kind of related youngin) Pookie sure hopes eberybodies and all the aunties & burdees are doing good

This message was edited May 13, 2011 2:06 PM

This message was edited May 13, 2011 4:58 PM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
2:37 AM

Post #8563591

So sorry Sheri, I posted on your other thread.Hope they find your things.
I am really missing the Amargia folks.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8564010

Oh, no! (((Sheri))) It's awful when you are robbed by a stranger but when it's someone you put your trust and faith in, it really hurts ten times as much. I've had it happen to me too, not the exact same scenario, not as shocking and not $20,000! Virtual love and hugs surround you and bless you for thinking of how awful the thief must feel.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 15, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8564998

filling up the tree base bed

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 16, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8567532

Ah-h-h, this is a cushy job! Sitting at Wendyís where there is a Wi-fi connection, nursing a milkshake doing what others need done in cyberspace on my laptop. But, I hope I donít have this job much longer. Our internet service provider is still down. They have a skeleton crew here since most of the technical staff is working in the Tuscaloosa area recently devastated by the storms. They are saying later this week MAYBE. (s-i-g-h.) It is amazing how integrated the web has become in EVERYONEíS life in such a short time. I think there is a misconception that rural people arenít so integrated into the worldwide web so we are low priority. My experiences say the opposite is true.
For the time being, I have my list of what people need done in cyberspace and head to the nearest Wi-fi. Our town library uses a cable connection, but it is an after-school hangout because it is adjacent to the school. The kids are more tech savvy than most of the older volunteers. They know how to disable the security, firewalls and anti-virus programs and often do to gain access to off-limit websites. All that means the library computers are usually a mess.
Everything thatís happened lately has me considering changing employment directions. I think I would like being some sort of PCA or personal assistant to elderly and/or physically challenged people. Iíve been thinking how I would still get to cook and could do it in the low volume, personal way I prefer. Iíll look into the educational and legal requirements more closely when we have easy access to the net again.
Sheri, late bíday wishes on their way. Carrie, cannas coming your way. Debra, thank you. thank you, THANK YOU! When someone visits, no one will have to give up their computer now. Vickie, sorry I missed your call. PJ was groggy. He is having major problems sleeping lately. The doctor wants him to try simply being more active during the day so he is more physically tired at night. If that doesnít work he will consider prescribing a sleep aid. Do doctors fully understand what they are suggesting? Uh-h-h, how do you get more active when moving hurts. At least, I donít have to play Solitaire anymore when I canít sleep myself. :-)
We may be a little out of sync for awhile since I am copying post on my laptop and bringing them home for MK and PJ to read,
but weíll try to muddle along until the net is back. We are all suffering withdraw symptoms.
(I want my weird Japanese tokusatsu shows! Where am I supposed to see guys in spandex fighting costumed monsters now?)
Our pomegranates are blooming. MK is excited about that since she grew them all from seed. Jasmine is in full bloom. I think the jasmine and rose based scent-scapes are my personal favorites. After being in the 90ís, it is strangely cool today. MK is taking advantage of that. PJ is helping me with my Stormroom, as it has come to be called. The large underground room Iím trying to create. My Da told me stories of how we boggled the minds of the Romans when they came to conquer our villages. My ancestors simply took their livestock and disappeared into the natural, but enhanced, underground warrens beneath our Clans land until the puzzled Romans went away. lol. Iíve wanted a subterranean room since I was very little because of that story. ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

PlantiMcPlanter
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8567941

Nadine,
Good to hear something from the Amargia folks! Glad you are all right and can't wait for everyone to be online again.
Planti

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8568262

for any of you interested, here is a thread just started for my dear Elvis. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1182193/
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 16, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8568295

Hooray for Wendy's wi-fi!! You keep that job until the 'net comes back and gives you your old one! LOL Love the blossom.

I get to meet Vickie in a couple of weeks, good Lord willin' and the cricks doan rise (as they say around here).

Hiya, Carrie! Baby those plants.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 16, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8568308

Sheri, we faced a similar situation with my sister's German Shepherd, Duke. Finally, it just came to be time for him to--what do they call it? --cross the Rainbow Bridge. You will make the wise and right decision when it becomes necessary. In the meantime, love and pet him for us, too.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8568822

here's todays update, totally diffferent from last night http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1182193/#new

Thanks for hanging in and encouraging me. My emotions feel like they are on a yoyo!

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8574417

Hello, All. It has taken me awhile to install all the computer updates I missed, to adjust my adaptive software so it would function with those updates and then catch up with what has been going on with everyone here. I decided I need a breather before tackling the backlog of emails.
Iím sorry to hear about your troubles, Sheri. I know first-hand what a terrible feeling that is. I moved immediately after my apartment was broken into to regain a sense of security. I know that isnít an option for you as a homeowner. How are you coping? Old Tater-dog is going on three legs most of the time now. The w/c ramp still isn't ready for wheelchairs, but she has started using it instead of the stairs. I know some tough decisions will need to be made in the not to distant future.
ďThink MonetĒ was a thought provoking article, Carrie. Those monotonous, perfectly groomed lawns become a little spooky when you fully understand what must be done to maintain the look. We are shooting for one small lawn area in front composed of dwarf mondo grass. It only grows a few inches tall so no mowing is required. I wonder how lawns became the American norm anyway. I imagine it is an English tradition weíve just clung to despite climates that in no way resemble the British Isles. Is it your DDs senior prom coming up?
Iíve been taking advantage of the unseasonably cool temps to do what will probably be the last transplanting before it gets too hot for that task. I managed to get the last of the dark foliage plants out of the CanDo Garden and replace them with various members of the mallow/hibiscus/hollyhock family.
I goofed up a few days ago when I hammered in a metal post that is part of a new retaining wall for the Fragrance Garden. I punctured a water pipe. It wasnít terribly bad since it was the line to my old house. No one else was inconvenienced by my blunder and it took less than an hour to make repairs. I still had to call the cityís water department, however. I felt like a dunce since I was the one that had those lines laid. The house that line connected to isnít there any longer. I just plain forgot the underpinnings for it were still in place. Well, I know exactly where it is now if I decide to do a water feature or a new faucet. Perhaps, I should adopt and adapt your goodwill strategy, Vickie, and HAVE NADINE bake a cake for the men at the water department. :-)
Jim is setting up the guest computer system. The monitor arrived this morning. Thanks for letting Amargia just keep that system, Debra. That was incredibly generous of you. The plants you sent are also appreciated. They were in especially good health. Whoever your source for those was, it appears to be a good one. The gazana are already putting on new growth. Nadi is excited about those and the new coreopsis, in particular. She went so far as to rescue some blue salvia from an ant mound to pair with the coreopsis. There is a pomegranate in the center of the new bed. It should make a photo worthy vignette in early autumn. Mostly, Iíve been doing hard-scape and moving plants around, but we did add a new dwarf fig and planted okra, squash and more tomatoes and peppers. We are still harvesting English peas and snow peas. That is a first for us this late in the year.
Glad to be back. Hugs to all. Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 19, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8574564

Kay, we are happy you are back. :-) My company recycles electronics and the best way to recycle is to reuse, so computers and monitors we gots! If you have problems with the monitor, please let me know. I can easily send another. Have to keep you guys online. I've been buying through plant sale co-ops and off eBay and stuff. Lots of great prices and selection, so the sharing supply is plentiful. LOL Come Fall, will be sending some red Daylilies for Jim and dark purple for Nadine. Jim may kick about the color, but I'm sending a warm pink one for you because it is intensely and beautifully fragrant. Looking forward to Fall photos from Nadine's color mixing.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 20, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8575619

Forgot to say the Glads are up and have blooms forming. Will post photos when they open. Yea!!!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 20, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8576138

It is beginning to feel like May in Alabama again. Hot and humid. I've had several request for this recipe so I thought I would post it here for everyone. Working outside when temps creep above 90 is tough. but almost unavoidable in the deep south. Many whose jobs require just that swear this drink keeps them going during the summer. Aside from being especially good for quenching thirst, claims for it include that it keeps heat rashes from developing, keeps insects away (Bugs are said to be repelled by the sweat of those who routinely drink it.)and that it helps keep heat exhaustion at bay. Mama Kay says she first encountered a version of this vinegar-based drink as a child in south Florida. I've tried the different variations of it, but always come back to Grandma Jean's recipe for "Amish Vinegar Sling" because it tastes best. Much better than you would imagine looking at the simple ingredients. I avoid the big, blue and green room as much as possible once the 90+ temps arrive. (I really need to find the thermostat for that room!) I still drink Vinegar Sling just because I like the taste. MK and PJ rarely have soft drinks around because their respective doctors both said sodas exacerbate arthritis and joint problems. That is a fate I would like to avoid as long as possible. With Vinegar Sling I can get my fizz and still be kind to my joints. ~Nadine~

Jean Knaubís Amish Vinegar Sling
2 quarts cold water
Ĺ cup sugar
ĺ cup vinegar (she used pure vinegar she made herself I use white vinegar)
1 Ĺ teaspoon baking soda
Best served cold

This message was edited May 20, 2011 4:20 PM
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 20, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8576207

Nadine, is it kosher to make without baking soda (have to avoid that stuff). And have you ever made it with cider vinegar? Just wondering if it would work as well, I like cider. :-)

Debra
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 20, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8576433

Sure, Grandma Jean just put in the baking soda for the fizz to make we kids happy. The original recipe calls for apple cider vinegar. I thought that was just because apple cider vinegar is the easiest vinegar to come by in PA, but MK tells me there are some extra health benefits to using apple cider vinegar instead. The Japanese have several versions of this drink too. Black vinegar and plum vinegar are the favorites there. ~N~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8576744

Have got to try it. AND I already have all the ingredients.
I especially like the "repels bugs" quality.
I've always heard vinegar cures alot of human ills.
Since i love pickles probably almost get my share.Think I'll open a jar of pickled beets tonight.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8576762

I think we are overdue for a new thread. Let's see if I can do this right.
Continued at: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1183144/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America