-
AuthorContent
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8402030

I thought I would share the new tulip bed that I planted last fall. I am eagerly awaiting the blooms as this is only the second time that I have ever planted tulips. I put in about a dozen different varieties arranged according to height and bloom time which was a bit of a challenge since I have very little experience with tulips. I put in approximately 600 bulbs in this bed. I had 764 bulbs but I didnít want them too crowded in the bed.

There is a lot of wildlife in this area but I am ready for that. I have two types of animal repellants ready to go out within the next two weeks before the tulips start coming up.

Last fall my partner and I bought an old pet cemetery from a county tax sale. Many older people here were worried that someone would buy the property and tear out the cemetery that has been there since the 1960's. We bought it to protect it. When a pet dies it is said that they cross a Rainbow Bridge. This pet cemetery has a small foot bridge at the entrance so I thought that a rainbow shaped tulip bed would be appropriate at the entrance.

I will post more pictures throughout the spring to show the different stages of blooms and colors. According to my last years photos here at the house, the tulips should start emerging before the end of this month. It will be interesting to see if I did this right. Only one variety is super short with much smaller bulbs so they were added once I filled in the bed halfway. I had to use a very large sifter to remove a ton of coal cinders that had been dumped in this area long ago. It took me two days to do this. One day to dig the 8Ē deep hole and one day to plant it.

These are the varieties I had. I planted most of the ones in low quantities at the house in a new bed just for them.
17 Apricot Beauty
87 Peppermint Stick
77 Banja Luca
67 Apricot Impression
40 Attila
65 Ice Follies
17 Princess Irene
90 Lucky Strike
10 Rosalie
30 Silver Dollar
10 White Elegance
85 World Expression
89 Twister
12 Purple Prince
7 Menton
12 Maureen
22 Angelique
17 Lilac Perfection
10 Spring Green

764 total

This first pic shows the area where I put the new bed.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Click the image for an enlarged view.

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Bulbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing Tuberose in CA SteveK 2 Aug 27, 2007 3:24 AM
hyacinth bulbs debi_z 12 Oct 31, 2007 11:48 AM
Supplier for caldium bulbs Bulk??? plantsdirect 10 Dec 28, 2010 9:42 AM
what are these and why don't they bloom? woodspirit1 24 Jun 25, 2009 7:40 PM
gardeners......... help!!!! stephanie_74 12 Jul 7, 2011 5:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America