Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pondlove
Lewes, DE

March 2, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8402135

The pond plants I had ordered from Texas Waterlilies arrived a couple weeks ago. Planted the lotus and lilies in Wallyworld cat litter and left them in my sunroom. They are sprouting like crazy. The floating plants I got are also doing great in a tub of water. Callas are planted, as well as elephant ear. Come on, spring!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8402394

I don't understand. Don't the lilies and lotus have to be submerged? Isn't a litter box too shallow to float their, um, boats, e.g. leaves??

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 2, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8402395

mstella, many of us use cat litter (clay) as a planting medium, not the litter pan ;)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8402419

You know. I kind of wondered about that. so the litter doesn't float. I use garden mud topped with gravel and it makes the pots so heavy. I usually pull the pots in the fall, clean off the tubers, split, clean and replant. Maybe this year I will try the kitty little thing. What fertilizer do you use? Tabs? Monthly or do you have ones that only go in once a year. Oh, and how long is your growing season. Like, from when they start sprouts heading for the surface, to when you put them to bed in the fall. Assuming you have to. Oh. Arizona. Silly me. You probably don't have to over winter them.
pondlove
Lewes, DE

March 2, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8402463

Let's clarify. I put cat litter (WalMart red bag which is pure clay with no additives) in a plastic container deep and large enough to meet the guidelines from Texas Waterlilies Then I filled the containers with water. Waited until the litter was wet. Placed the tubers in, again, according to planting instructions. There they sit, in clay and under water, sprouting their little hearts out.

I read in another thread that Osmocote (sp?) fertilizer will work. The bulbs - elephant ear and callas - are in dirt.

When it comes time to put plants in the pond, I will reassess and repot if necessary.

I saw a bullfrog floating in apparent suspended animation in the upper pond which did freeze over this winter. Don't know if the little guy is dead or still hibernating. Any ideas? If he's dead, I need to scoop him out ASAP.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8402521

Thanks for the clarification. That is sort of the picture I had in mind. I may send (can't remember his name) at Texas Waterlilies and ask him to ship earlier than usual. I figured May 1 to go in the pond, but I convert my garage into a greenhouse April 1 so I could just put them out there and give them a head start. Thanks.

I have heard that frogs (not all frogs necessarily) can freeze solid and live. There have something in their cellular systems that prevents the cells from exploding. He may just live. I would love to know if he does. I love frogs. We lived in Tennessee when I was around 5 years old and Dad found a bullfrog stuck in a dried up mud bed. He took him inside washed and hydrated him, then we took him way out of town up in the hills and let him go in a pond. He was huge!

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 2, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8402592

mstella, as far as I know Walmart kitty litter (red bag) is the only litter you can use. Others have odor inhibitors and all kinds of additives that would wreak havoc with plants and fish. It's ridiculously cheap too. If you were to buy "pond clay" it would be VERY expensive. Everything that says "pond" is marked up 1 gazillion % :(
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8402991

Boy, don't I know it. I have seen the pond clay but it was just too spendy. This year I will convert to Walmart kitty litter. Think I will buy a few bags now just to make sure I don't forget. And thanks for the heads up on not using just any kitty litter.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 3, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8404330

If I remember it's 25 or 50 pound bags :O
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8404340

Well, I was thinking of cutting back further on my lilies to allow more free pond surface, so figuring they are about 2.5gallons buckets and I have five, maybe the 50#'er would be about right. It isn't that much volume I don't think. I will check it out today. Thanks again
Mary
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8404674

pondlove wrote:

I read in another thread that Osmocote (sp?) fertilizer will work. The bulbs - elephant ear and callas - are in dirt.

Osmocote is ok with fish? That would scare me. They say not to allow potting soil into the pond because of the fertilizers...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8404769

I also read that osmocote was okay for pond plants. Putting soil, like Miracle Grow in the pond probably wouldn't be so good. Not just because it tends to float away but because you don't know what they put in it as you mentioned -- fertilizers.
pondlove
Lewes, DE

March 3, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8404865

The information I read about using WalMart kitty litter and osmocote came mainly from the Water Garden thread titled "Kitty Litter" dated July 4, 2007. It has a very lively and interesting discussion on both topics.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 4, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8406489

from wally world... : )

i don't know if it is necessary, but i always wash it to filter out the dust.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2011 10:20 AM

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8406497

I do love a visual aid!! lol We don't have a Wally World. wonder if Walmart would have it. ummm. Or is Wally World a nickname for Walmart? :)
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

March 4, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8406508

haha! you got it mstella. wally world and walmart are one in the same. : ) and i totally agree. i always love a visual aid even when a description in word is enough.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8406527

I will go look for it today. They are converting our closest Wally World to a super store so it's a bit of a mess but it gives me an excuse to get out of the house. Otherwise I sit on my laptop all day, with a cup of tea and chat with all the great people who garden and pond. Amazing that I have more 'friends' in far away places than right here in my neighborhood. People here in my neighborhood don't garden much, and no ponds in sight. Besides, I am getting 'bushy' waiting for some (ANY) sign of spring. I look at my pictures in the computer to see what it looked like a year ago to gauge when I can expect to see dirt anywhere in my yard. Usually the top of the little hillock by my pond is the first to 'break through." And I unwrap the tops of my cages on the tree peonies (still sitting in 2' of snow) to see how they are doing. Last year, sitting in the surrounding snow, the cage was snow free inside with buds all over the trees. Balm for my soul!! And I mean that almost literally.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 362 Jul 24, 2014 10:44 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America