Just found a bag of tulips in the garage...

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

The garage is not insulated so they got plenty of cold. Can I plant them? Will they do okay? I have so many other things to do before spring arrives, but I don't want to lose these either if they can be saved. I don't expect anything this year from them,but didn't know if they would bloom next year.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

You can probably plant them and they may sprout, but don't be surprised if they don't bloom this year. I don't know how many bulbs you have, but why not try putting them into a container (with good drainage) or two, and give them a good, sunny exposure.

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

I have about 50 bulbs. I am not really good about remembering to water my plants in pots so it might not be the best idea. I do have a spot out of the way where I can put them for a year or 2 to give them a chance to revitalize a bit. There is a good amount of sun, but not a place I would want to keep them for long since they would get blocked by some other plants before they are done blooming. Thanks for the info. I will go ahead and plant them.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I found a box with tulips in my garage as well! Just not as many! They were already sprouting so I'm putting them in pots this weekend and see how they do. The ground is too hard and too wet to try to plant them now!

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

I think I can get them in the ground this weekend, that is if it doesn't snow. The ground is a bit hard, but not too bad. I was able to pull up carrots that got left out on Monday w/o too much trouble.

Mentor, OH

Me too !! I was in my tool shed last week and found a box of tulip bulbs I had dug last spring to make room for my dahlias. Some were two or three years old and I had planned to replace them. I put them in the shed and forgot to ask if any friends wanted to try and plant them. The poor things made it through record heat last summer and freezing temps this winter. I opened the box and found that 90% or more are sprouting. I bought a bag of potting soil and planted several dozen in four containers. In a week they have grown 4 or 5 inches. I don't expect much blooming but figured I didn't have anything to lose. Dan

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, that is amazing. I guess they are hardier than I thought.

Mentor, OH

This is some of the tulips after six days. People tell me they probably won't bloom. I already had the containers and bulbs so my only expense was the potting soil and I like to experiment just to see what will happen. My aunt and uncle were up from Virginia this weekend and I gave them the rest of the bulbs (probably over 200). Some were the daughter bulbs or whatever you call the immature ones growing from the original bulb. I was told that the young bulbs have a better chance of blooming than the two or three year old bulbs. I don't know if that's true. They are about half the size. Dan

Thumbnail by psudan
Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, I didn't get them in this weekend. Maybe I will find a pot to put them in this week and keep them in the gh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images