Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Orchid Cactus: cutting the new growth question

Communities > Forums > Orchid Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Orchid CactusReplies: 55, Views: 586
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8404820

I have a Epi that is doing well with very long runners...can they be cut back to keep the plant compact?

Thumbnail by Depsi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8404827

another view...thank you for your guidance...Deb

Thumbnail by Depsi

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8408691

That looks like a Night Blooming Cereus and YES! They make these runners,.
especially while in the house for the winter...
I have NO idea why? Nor what is the appropriate thing to do!
I have had these "runners/stems" grow to be 4' tall!

The Southern diehards say to leave them alone. They are just reaching for a place
to anchor themselves to--as in the Rain Forests...Dah!
I, myself, can't stand them--and have been known to cut them off.
Interesting thing--IF you root pieces of these cut-off stems--they will,
in time produce regular leaves...

I think this has been discussed to no end--just look back in this Forum...
I still do not know what their purpose is!

Hang in there--until you get an answer that satisfies YOU!

Gita

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8411782

Thank you, Gita...I think I'm going to chop them just to have a more compact plant...this one is getting very large & running out of room for it...The hoya that took over that window had to end up in the compost pile after it just blocked out the light coming into the bathroom...good curtain, tho...thanks again, Deb
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8427554

Depsi:
http://www.theamateursdigest.com/epis.htm
Please go to the experts and find out the answers to questions like yours. If you were 6 ft. 7 and wanted to be 6 ft. you wouldn't just lop off your head. Plant growth has a purpose and a reason.

"Why do some stems put out long stringy things and others do not? Should I cut them off?
Those long stringy things are adventitious roots! Do not cut them off. It is quite natural for many epis to produce these roots. If they appear in large numbers, however, this may signal problems exist such as perhaps the plants may be too moist, too dry or in too much shade. The adventitious roots could be reaching for the moisture, light and even food that the plant is not receiving in sufficient quantities through watering, natural light and fertilizer.
When these adventitious roots appear, you should ask yourself if you are giving the plants enough water and/or fertilizer, if there is enough humidity around the plants and perhaps you should check the soil in the pot for signs of pest infestation which might be damaging the roots. Also, although I will tell you later that these plants do better if a little pot-bound, it is just as possible to underpot the plants which can also force roots to be produced along the stems."
A Southern Diehard

Thumbnail by orchidman1

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2011
3:16 AM

Post #8429741

Boy, that is an informative link...Thank you very much...I'd rather not lop off heads so will leave these fellas alone...Deb
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 16, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8431309

I do lop off some of that growth, as those "runners" make the whole plant about 10 feet tall. The plants themselves have grown out of the 6 foot obleisk I have in the pot to support them. Had lots of blooms last summer,tho.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8431410

You want to see tall?

Here is may 6 yr. old NBC Epi. It was so big and uncontrolable--and had NEVER bloomed--
I gave it away last year.
Now--see that base of that tall stem on top? Will show you the end of it in the next picture...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8431412

Here is the rest of it-----about 4 feet higher...

And note also--that it IS making regular "leaves" at the top...

Dealt with this in my LR for a couple of years--then gave it away FREE to another
DG'er here...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8431420

Here is another "strange" thing----
This is my Red Epi. It hangs by my big LR window--but it does not ger bright light.
That is all I have, though--and that is where they always hang.

These are interesting, spiny growths out of the tips of the "leaves"...

Any comments from anyone?

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 16, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8431427

I would show you how tall mine is, but computer is on the fritz and I am working off mu iPad. I'll have to remember to post one when I get it back from the shop.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8432242

Gita, is that a browlia behind the Epi???? I have one but it is still small, the bulb is about the size of a softball...DEb

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8433295

Depsi--
Which picture are you referring to?
The one behind the BIG NBC on my Patio? The one with the fine fronds on top of the blocks?

That is a Climbing Onion...This tome of year--it is amazingly full of green fronds...
Then they will die off as I put it outside and the fronds will die off.

Then--it will kidt "exist"--slowly nourishing the big Onion-like bulb throughout the summer season.
It really does ot do anything much in the summer...As th fronds die off--it MAY cause the
Moma Onion to start splitting...

By the way--This is NOT an onion at all!!!!! Do not ever think you can EAT IT!!!
'

At this time of year--you should see all thr fronds it has on it!!! Like a waterfall of green!!!

Gita

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8434742

That's what I was looking at: The climbing onion...I have one too...he's still a baby 'bout 2yrs old...I love it and the frothy leaves...Deb

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8434851

Depsi--
Here is my Climbing Onion in April of last year...
Probably just out from the basement...as it makes the most fronds in the late winter...

After about 3 years--the mother bulb had, finally, split...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8436694

Mine is 3yrs old now too...got it from Logee's catalogue...I cut the fronds back 'cause it sits against a window...Your's is just beautiful...

Thumbnail by Depsi

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8436695

another pic

Thumbnail by Depsi

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8436760

Depsi--

Mine spends the winter on a tiny, cramped window in my Laundry room.
The fronds are everywhere! All pressed up against the window...

In front of the are pots and 2 W-Boxes of the Pregnant Onion--also sleeping (??)
for the winter...Maybe they are Cousins? And happy to share the "bed"????

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8436923

Oh, the pots of pregnant onions I've had over the years...the climbing onion is my favorite tho...it dropped off a bulblet but nothing became of it...I'm waiting for more...I entered it into the fair this year and got a first prize...it was very full then...
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8440280

Gita: I don't know what the growths are but I really like the looks of the plant. I enjoy Epis because of all the unusual stem, leaf, and spine growths that you encounter. It just makes working with them so much more interesting. I would guess that your growths are spiny air roots, but don't know for sure. I'll see what I can find out. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8441352

Thanks Bob!

I have one by my kitchen door--a well rooted and growing cutting--
now in a 6" pot...
Geez! You should see the spike growing out of this one!!!!!
It is overwhelming!

Take a look! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8441513

That's what I assumed mine were...I've got big ones all along the sprouts...these plants are really interesting...

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9005526

an update from a year ago...same plant moved to a different window where again I'm running out of space

Thumbnail by Depsi

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9005527

another

Thumbnail by Depsi   Thumbnail by Depsi   Thumbnail by Depsi   Thumbnail by Depsi
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9005579

Depsi--

Yes! That is pretty bizarre!
I think if they do not get natural. bright light, they tend to grow these things.

Mine is now close to 4' tall.

In the past--I have cut them off. These spikes do not produce flower buds.
So--why put up with them?

Gita

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9005649

Thanks for your response, I looked at your pictures again too...I was thinking of you last week 'cause my climbing onion is waking up & has put out two runners...I love that plant!! have you been able to get any babies off of yours? I just can't cut those runners off on the epi, it's so bizarre but I do love it...it will go to the shop this summer where it will have plenty of room to run (as long as the deer don't find it) and debate this again next fall when it has to come inside...it's only bloomed once...but it was a big white beauty!!!! Thanks again...Deb
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9005664

Depsi:
Love your plant and how you have arranged your decor to accommodate it. Those stems provide strength to the plant and character, I know growers who cut spikes and those who don't. I have read experts who encourage growers to keep all top growth cut to encourage compact growth. I believe nature usually does the right thing for plants. I have trimmed heavy growth when it makes a plant too off balance. I don't think it is a real good idea but has not hurt any plant that I've cut for cuttings or for "balance". bob

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9005757

Bob, I'm using your winter maintenance guidelines & apply the info from the link you provided...I certainly respect your experience...Thank you for responding...This plant has a way to go before it becomes unbalanced and this is our guest room (unheated) so I can tie it up all over the place...when it goes outside to the east facing lean too off the shop it will have all the room in the world to sprout where ever it wants to go!!!
ginger749

February 13, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9005902

Cool pictures Depsi.

I really like your Climbing Onion as well.

This is my baby ones.
They grow from the old cracked-off skins.

Thumbnail by ginger749

ginger749

February 15, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9008430

And this is MUM and DAD.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9008683

Wow, your's have really made babies!!! beautiful plant...mine has only put out one baby so far & that turned into nothing...
ginger749

February 16, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9008813

Sometimes I think people try too hard.
The skin-peel just lay on the damp charcoal mix for about 6 seeks before these babies came.
And all three lived on to grow into Xmas presents for my family.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9009028

ginger---

Just to clarify-----you ARE talking about the "Climbing Onion" here. Right?
I never knew these made babies????

I was getting all mixed up, as the PREGNANT onion makes a zillion babies
under the flaky skin. Then you posted the picture, and was like--Hmmmm----
that does not look like my Pregnant Onion...

Here is the way my Pregnant Onion looks like--pregnant...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

ginger749

February 16, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9009081

[quote="Gitagal"]ginger---

Just to clarify-----you ARE talking about the "Climbing Onion" here. Right?
I never knew these made babies????

[/quote]

Most people here in Ozz call them pups.

I think if we don't learn something NEW every day.
We are probably dead or near to deadth. ^_^
I have never heard of " the PREGNANT onion".
So I have learned something new today.
Thanks for your picture Gitagal.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9009353

Ginger----

Google "Pregnant Onion" and when it comes up--click on "images" on the left side of your upper tool bar.
You will get pages and pages of pictures of whatever it is you Googled...this works for anything!

It is an amazing feature! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

ginger749

February 16, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9009386

Thanks Gitagal,

I guess Yahoo works the same way ?
I don't use Goggle. ^_^
My server has barred them. ;o)

Your first picture looks a little like my Scorpions all hanging on.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

February 16, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9009414

EEEWWWWW...
ginger749

February 16, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9009433

I agree with you Anna.

But you have to agree there is a similarity.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9009693

ginger---

If I Googled it and sent you the link--do you think you could open that?

Lets try it. This is to the "images of" page.

http://www.google.com/search?q=pregnant+onion&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=4mY-T-7LKdDh0wGsv7jYBw&biw=1280&bih=830&sei=52Y-T5z3LcfL0QG1z8GuBw
ginger749

February 17, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9009721

I got it to show up on Yahoo.

I opened your link and got this.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9009772

Not sure what it is that you posted. Redirected by who? To where???

Glad you got to see the images on Yahoooooo...WoooooHooooo!...:o)

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9009973

my pregnant onion had tons of pups but my climbing onion has only dropped one pup since I've owned it & that never amounted to a plant...
ginger749

February 17, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9009990

[quote="Depsi"]my climbing onion has only dropped one pup since I've owned it & that never amounted to a plant...[/quote]

Mine were kept moist 100% of the time till they developed roots as you can see in my Pictures.
It's easy when you know how.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9010123

Depsi--

It has been several years now that I divided my Climbing Onion because someone was begging
me for one. She said she had been looking for one for 3 years.

Mine had just "split" ans I dug it up and sent her one of them.

It has been ONLY since last year--that it split again. I now seem to have 3 "onions" growing in the pot.
I do not want to divide them again--as I have seen pictures of these growing, literally, in a pile
on top of each other. I might give them a bigger pot, though.

SO! It is VERY slow going with the Climbing Onion. At least here. Maybe in CA or FL, where they
can be outside year round, they grow bigger and faster and lusher...

As I have said--mine sits dormant, and almost totally dry all winter--from end of Oct. to end of April.
It IS during this time that it grows these insanely long fronds that go all over the place.

They will still be there most of the summer (outside) but will start to yellow and die by end of summer.

I am not saying I know all there is to know about this plant. I can only share what has, or has not, worked for me.

Gita

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9010657

Thanks Gita, I always know you will have my answer! I love the silly guy & I get a blue ribbon on it every year at the County Fair here so that makes me proud as can be...now it seems everyone in town wants one...and Logee's doesn't carry them anymore but I did find a number on line for someone who sells them...thanks for the response...
ginger749

March 29, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9062492

So how is the progress of your bathtub Epi going Depsi.

Do you have any updates ?

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9064787

It is now residing in the guest bedroom which is unheated...in a east facing window, don't know what to do with it to be honest, it's just so huge and ungainly...like a lanky, awkward teenager going every which way at once...any suggestions?

Thumbnail by Depsi   Thumbnail by Depsi   Thumbnail by Depsi   Thumbnail by Depsi

ginger749

March 31, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9064843

My Dragon Fruit has done a similar thing.
If you would like to read all about it ?
Here's a link; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244422/
I am going to cut it down.

Thumbnail by ginger749

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 31, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9064879

Depsi, This is not a good houseplant, It can be kept alive indoors for the winter, but should be outside , in better light for the summer. Mine has climbed over a 10' block wall twice, but it has also been radically cut back twice. They are pretty tough...will take temps into the 40s for short periods, but need good light. I have neighbors that grow them in full Ca. sun. They look terrible but they bloom like crazy. Don't feed until spring growth starts, and let it get almost dry between waterings, as with most epiphytes. Over feeding will produce excessive growth, but no blooms.
If you move it outside in filtered sun for the summer, you should see blooms...if you are up at night.
ginger749

March 31, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9064919

[quote="OCCAROL"]Depsi, This is not a good houseplant, [/quote]

Depsi has been growing it in a Bath Tub.
How cool is that ?
I think you are 100% right about the Over feeding Carol.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9066091

Now that is puzzling cause I don't overfeed...I'm really careful about that 'cause I understand how it works against the plant...I use the same one for this plant that I use for my hoya's...I really have nowhere to put it outside since we have deer everywhere here...maybe in the area where we feed the birds...I'll figure something to do with it...the guest room has worked out this winter because it isn't heated...before I hung it inside our insulated shop in an east facing window but now there is a lean-to on that wall so no light...I had to put one of my huge hoya's in the compost two years ago 'cause I just had no where to put it and no one in our group wanted it 'cause they are dealing with their own big plants...when I lived in Sacramento I grew everything outside on the covered patio, not now, we have lots of snow...in fact, snowed today...the picture is of earlier this winter...

Thumbnail by Depsi

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 1, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9066106

Brrrr! I don't know if the deer would find it tastey, but it will obviousely be a while before you can put anything outside.
ginger749

April 1, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9066148

[quote="Depsi"]the picture is of earlier this winter...[/quote]

So Depsi.
Is your House inside or outside that high fence ?

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9067354

We have that area in the front to feed the birds...there is fencing around it, then in the back we have a chain link fence so we can have our two little dogs protected + have raised garden bed back there too...below on the lowest bench of our property we have a fenced orchard with 5 new beds to be planted this year...Or I should say I hope to get planted...my husband just had emergency triple bypass open heart surgery 2/15 so we are sorta in easy mode...I've been planting seeds today to get some starts going inside here...surprising how much there is to do all the time...trying to finish a tshirt quilt too...
ginger749

April 2, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9067393

[quote="Depsi"]I really have nowhere to put it outside since we have deer everywhere here...maybe in the area where we feed the birds.[/quote]

My DD feeds a friendly Moose off his back Veranda.
But the Moose would never touch the House Plants. (they are under a foot of snow)
He will lick any fat off the BBQ though.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9068080

That is the coolest picture!!! we have some pics of a yearling moose that hangs around a Ranger's Station up here...he licks all the plastic off the caretakers vehicle to get at the salt...Thanks for sharing that!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America