Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

tulip tree?

casselberry, FL

the beautiful yellow tulip "like" tree that is blooming now in central florida...does anyone know the name of it...i have a large one coming to bloom in front yard....will post pics when in full bloom

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i think you're talking about a Tabebuia. there are many different species. they are a clear, bright, sun yellow and blooming now.

some have been reclassified as Handroanthus..... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=tabebuia&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

This message was edited Mar 6, 2011 11:43 AM

casselberry, FL

thank you

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

hi dave,
the Tabs bloom before the leaves pop out. i think Spathodea has leaves and blooms at the same time. i'm also not sure that Spathodea would live this far north.

Allthingsplants, FL(Zone 8b)

I believe this may be what corrigandee is talking about:

Liriodendron tulipfera

also see:

This message was edited Mar 7, 2011 9:11 PM

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

until we see pictures, i'll stick to my original thought since it is a yellow bloomer happening now in central florida.
i hope she comes back with pictures!

Keaau, HI

Thanks trackinsand, that's right, Spathodea does not loose it's leaves.

Want to see those photos!

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

If you are looking to plant a tree, I would still plant a Tabebuia.
The tree Hobe sites is a very giving tree. It gives you plenty to rake and bag in it's 3 or 4 different yearly habits.
The Tabebuia may be a 'giver' too, but blooms are much more pretty.
Tabebuia also is a smaller tree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.