Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Begonias: Best ebay sellers

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 16, Views: 254
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8408805

I am new to buying begonias on ebay. Does anyone have any favorite ebay begonia sellers they would recommend?

jll
Pendleton, OR

March 6, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8411116

Yes on ebay her name is begonia9868 Here on DG under begonias. Vicki s exotic plants.
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8413025

Thanks so much jll. It is hard to know who is reputable and who is not. I would like to try and avoid learning "the hard way". I have done that enough already!
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8413854

Most are fairly good but once in a while you will find a bad egg.
looking_glass1
College Park, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8418833

I just received 5 plants from Vicki yesterday. One of my favorite sellers. Also excellent communication. Love the inventory.
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8419320

I bought several from pjsviolets. Shipping is expensive, but the plants are large. But, as always, I check Taylor's first before buying. And SGA bird has nice plants, but they sometimes are mismarked. My advice would be to save your money and do the roadtrip to Taylor's. You can buy bigger plants at the greenhouse and she'll have ones that aren't listed on the web.
I"m off to convince my husband to take me to Logee's. Buy one begonia, get one 1/2 off.
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8420574

Thanks db...I saw the Logee's sale and wondered if you would be making the trip! Let us know what you find!
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8420625

Local nurseries are always the best way to go - bigger plants for less money and you get to select the best of what is on display.

Mail order is always nice if you can't find it anywhere else and can't afford to make a special trip for one plant or multiple plants.

Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8421077

oh, I know you are both right, but when it is still nasty outside and you are sitting inside cruising ebay...(which is new to me) it's tough. I will make the trip to Taylor's this summer. There are a couple of Thompson hybrids out there on ebay right now that I would really like, but I had some trouble receiving a recent shipment in this cold weather (although the seller said she would replace if they didn't recover (TRS is doing great)) so I know I shouldn't order ...but I would really like to. This seller is on the west coast too so longer shipping time. Thank goodness it's a busy weekend!
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8421522

Which hybrids?
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8421793

Thompson's Folly and Lady Brown. I really like Lady Brown but have had a tough time with mine. I got it from Kartuz in late summer/early fall so it didn't have much time outside before coming in for the winter. I also learned, the hard way, this one does not like to dry out. Mine is now a stick with some very small leaves along the stem and a new shoot coming up from the base. I am debating on cutting the "stick" in half, hoping it will send up more from the base. It looks pathetic. I need a new one to torture :)
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8421796

Shipping from the west coast is fairly quick anymore. My last 3 orders from Kartuz have come in usually the same week I order them. Order on Sunday or Monday and have them by Friday (usually). I like the way they have changed their business around (used to be a bit slow) although this last shipment was a bit on the smallish side.
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8421813

I was disappointed with some of my Kartuz plants last June. Some are still in the pots they came in, hanging on, but no new growth. It doesn't stop me from ordering though.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8422184

Yes, I was disappointed with this last shipment from Kartuz but I have moved them up to a bigger pot already. I'm surprised yours are still in the original pots. Taylor's weren't any bigger but the free shipping helps a lot.
looking_glass1
College Park, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8422856

I really like alot of the EBay plants, I hate the other items they show as begonias. After the third page once I put it on view 200 items. There isn't much else to look at. What a waste of pages.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8422991

Mary, set your eBay up to look for begonias in Home and Garden category and then filter even further with the sub-categories on the left pane. I like to go down to Flowers, Trees, and Plants and have saved it as a favorite but there are more filters even after that. Anyway that eliminates dishes and clothes.
looking_glass1
College Park, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8425011

Great, thanks for the tip.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America