I'd like to throw this puzzle out....

Richland Center, WI

Just a bit of background... when my dad was 11 years old his mother was killed by a drunk driver. His father had been a terrible man... drunken, abusive, and disinterested. Two months after their mom died their dad took my dad and his 13 and 15 year old brothers to virginia and dropped them off at a boy's school/orphanage and never came back for them.

By 1941 the three boys had left the orphange and had some minimal contact with their father, who was remarried and living in Chicago. In 1943 he and second wife had a son born. He was mentally handicapped. Grandpa left this woman and his son in the early 1950's. In 1960 the ex wife called my dad, (I was ten years old at the time) and wanted him to take her mentally handicapped son and raise him. dad refused. No one ever knew what happened to the boy, but I found out doing a search that he died in 2003.

When I found the information I was stunned to see something about the US Consulate in Italy mentioned! For one thing, there are NO diplomats in my family! LOL. Not a single Italian, either. And this boy (or man), was obviously receiving some social security payments. Disability? Was he in a home? Can't find any answers. Both his parents are dead and my dad said he'd only seen his half brother once in 1945, when he was a toddler. I'm posting the info I found here, and am hoping someone can lead me to someplace to search out this Italy Consulate connection!

Name: Marion D. Barnes
SSN: 334-36-8881
Last Residence: 60077 Skokie, Cook, Illinois, United States of America
Born: 14 Jul 1943
Last Benefit: 700 (U.S. Consulate), Italy
Died: 8 Apr 2003
State (Year) SSN issued: Illinois (1960-1961)

Harpursville, NY(Zone 5a)

Wow that is a puzzle isn't it! Why don't you contactt he consulate? The information should be given via the Freedom of Information act. Perhaps the child's mother was a citizen of Italy. Contact the Town Clerk of Skokie and get a copy of the Death Certificate, it should have the mothers name and place of birth on it. If you need more help :) Contact Ancestorville on Facebook. There are hundreds of genealogists on their who love to solve these kinds of mysteries and may have lots more good ideas.
Linda

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

The fact that the Consulate was mentioned is probably just an indication that he lived or was outside of the United States for at least 30 days while receiving S.S. benefits. Retired U.S. citizens that are in Italy can contact two places with any questions that they may have about Social Security. Here is a link listing those locations and their e-mail address.

http://ssa.gov/foreign/foreign.htm#ITALY

You might also attempt to get a copy of a death certificate as mommagoose recommended. That should tell you where he died and where he is buried. A death certificate also provides the name of the mother and father.

Anyway, it is a good starting point.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Wee -
Devil's advocate - please remove the SS# and maybe just give it to hose who d-mail you. All of the information on this website can be "googled" on the internet - Google your username. I think you will be surprised.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Social security numbers of the deceased are publicly available anyway, so I don't know that it makes much difference one way or the other whether it's posted here or not.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I was not aware of that ecrane3.
Thank you for learnin me :)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They're in the Social Security Death index...you can access it from pay sites like Ancestry.com, but it's also available for free through Family Search and probably other places as well https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://hr-search-api:8080/searchapi/search/collection/1202535

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.