Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: Pinch Russian Sage Seedlings ?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 13, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8409872

My Russian sage seedlings are really taking off. Would it be ok to pinch them to promote bushiness? I have been growing from seed for years, but this is my first time trying Russian sage.

Dee

Thumbnail by DeeS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

oriole
Mifflintown, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8412308

Cant answer your ?. Just want to tell you nice looking plants.

Dixie
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8413576

Thanks, Dixie. I guess I will just let them grow a while. Maybe they will just naturally bush out, like the lavender seedlings are doing.I haven't been able to find a thing about pinching them, on line.
Dee
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8413671

My instinctive guess would be yes, since you prune Russian sage in the spring to encourage branching and keep the plant tidy rather than floppy. But that's just a guess. I've never raised it from a seedling. You could try what I usually do--pinch one seedling and wait to see what happens. If it branches nicely (it usually doesn't take long before the results show up), go ahead and pinch the rest.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2011 12:16 AM
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8415945

Nice looking seedlings; they look so stocky. Do you keep them under lights?

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 9, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8416130

I would pinch them at size 4" since you want the branches to develop at the bottom.

I prune back my established plants to the grund every season. They are purchased not sown.

My daughter keep telling me to start them from seeds. I am not new to seeding but never tried these. How did you get them to germinate?
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8416354

Yes, they are under lights. These are "Taiga", which is supposed to bloom the first year if started early.I started them in seed starter mix, barely covered and kept them at 60-65 degrees.I got them from swallowtail garden's on-line.They were advertised as being"specially tweaked, for quick germination", whatever that means...lol They said germination time was 3-5 weeks, but most of mine popped within a week!
We moved into this house last Spring, and my goal, was to start as many first year blooming perennials, as I could fit under the lights.
Thanks, for all the help.I think I will pinch one and see what happens.
Dee
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8416497

I bought from Swallowtail for the first time this year and so far I'm very impressed. I had great germination from pelleted Petunia and Bacopa seeds, unlike some I got from a major source (who did give me a refund). I really like their packaging: ziplocks inside the packets, and for very small seeds there's a glassine envie inside that.
Pam
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8416551

I've been buying from them 3 or 4 years now, and I've always been very pleased with them. I really like their search engine,too. If you type in "blooms first year" it will bring up all their perennials that do.
What kind of petunias are you growing? I love them. This year I am trying tidal waves, silver and hot pink.
Dee
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8416570

I'm doing white Shock Wave petunias and white Bacopa. Blue Denim petunias didn't germinate at all. I have so much else going that I didn't try again, just got the refund. I just took a wild guess when I ordered. Do you like tidal wave better? I've never done them from seed before but it seems pretty easy once you have all the stuff in place to do it with. I just wish I knew more about the various strains- when you buy the seedlings they don't always tell you what's what.

Pam
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8416612

I love the shock waves and easy waves.I had the tidal wave seeds left over from last year, so I'm going to go ahead and use them. I will probably go back to the others next year..Yes petunias are very easy from seed...especially with the pelleted seeds...so much easier to handle! If you're like me, you will be hooked on growing them from seed...the plants aren't cheap.I tried the blue denim ones last year,too and none of mine germinated either :o(
Dee
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8416673

Really?! I got mine from Burpee. Maybe I should just stick with Swallowtail for anything that might be iffy? I got lots of other things from them too, but haven't started them all yet. The city windowsill is getting very crowded. We'll be opening the house soon and i'll be able to late-winter sow, use a cold frame, and expand inside the house too. I really got carried away thins year!

I loooove the pellets- and I got 12 Bacopa from 10 seeds! The petunias were slightly less viable, bit there were more seeds so I ended up with as many as I wanted.

Your colors sound really pretty...maybe next year...

Pam
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8417029

Pam, I didn't get the blue denim from swallowtail. I've never had any problems with anything that I got from there, but I order from lots of places.You know how it is when ya see something that ya gotta try...lol
I am running out of room under the lights too, and I'm wanting to start some tomatos and green peppers, and, oh yeah,some patchouli and rosemary..lol.Got plenty of room...just need more lights. I have wintersown several containers, and have more to go. I think I got carried away too..
Sounds like you are doing great!!
Dee
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8429169

I just wanted to let everyone know, that the russian sage seedling that I pinched is already starting to send out tiny side shoots.I'll be pinching the others soon. Thanks, for all the great info.
Dee

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America