Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: pond turtles

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 22, Views: 217
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2011
10:51 AM

Post #8410232

Does anyone have any pet pond turtles? I have a pre-form pond I am adding on to my others that have koi etc. I can keep it separate and just make it look like it is part of the other pond group if necessary.
My son (teenage) wants to have a few pond turtles so wondering what kind I should get? It will probably have indirect light and will have areas for the turtle to get up out of the water if it wanted to..It will be in a screened-in area to protect from predators etc.
CatladyDane
Orlando, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 6, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8410351

My friend who lives on my property got a pet turtle (I think they call them a red eared slider) - the kind you get from a pet shop, and when he grew too large to be comfortable in his 10 gal aquarium home she put him in my "pond", which is actually a 3' diameter dog pool - my attempt at a small water garden. He's about 6" in diameter now. He seems quite happy there. I'll be adding a third pool this spring to give him more space, as it's time to divide my thriving plants.

Thumbnail by CatladyDane
Click the image for an enlarged view.

helenchild
Decatur, GA

March 6, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8410418

That is a very cool turtle! Is he 6inches long or wide? Either way he is a good size.
I have a water garden with fish. I would like to have turtles but they do eat fish. So decided against it. Do you feed your turtle?
Helen
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8410561

Oh, he is so neat. I just love him. Does he have a name?
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8412181

I think they would eat anything they can get, frogs, salamanders, fish, ect.
They also need a place to come up out of the water of course, and I assume a place to hibernate in the winter? Not sure about that.
Also you would have to make sure where it was when you mowed the lawn, as turtles don't fare well under a mower I found out. :(
water turtles do come out of the water some.
It would have to have a food supply of course, make sure it is getting plenty to eat if your pond isn't large enough to support it. I also *think* turtles are social and like other turtles around to group with. Some people let their kids paint turtles with markers, paint, or nail polish, that is bad for their shell.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 7, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8413195

This is Bob, he's a soft shell turtle. I have had him 5-6 years. He hibernates in the pond in the Winter. He doesn't bother fish, unless they die and then he's the clean up crew. He doesn't bother plants. He dines on snails, dragon fly Nymphs and fake crab meat (his favorite) he likes to sun on the flagstone outside the pond

This message was edited Mar 7, 2011 6:48 PM

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8416561

Those are both neat turtles. I was wondering if they would eat koi that are about 6-12 inches long? I will put the turtle in a separate pond if it is going to eat my fish. I don't care if it eats the cuban treefrogs lol.
I will probably be starting out with smaller baby turtles but I know they will grow lol.
Can they be in a shaded pond or do they need a pond in direct sun?

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 9, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8416643

Bob doesn't eat anyone unless they're dead :)
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8416841

It could be that since Bob is living high off the hog, er, crab that is, that Bob has no reason to really be aggressive in his hunting ventures. Other turtles may be more apt to catch fish. Although I don't think most turtles would catch a koi very big, most likely the fry. I guess it would depend on the size of the turtle as some can get fairly large as they mature.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8416980

depends on how hungry they get, they will nibble fins, but red eared pond sliders are very common, we watch for tiny bubbles and catch the baby ones, then they are kindergarten projects, too...
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8418548

Haha Bob does have that snooty crabmeat connoisseur look in his eye :P He's so cool!
I will play it safe and put the turtles separate from the fish and see how it goes.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 10, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8419216

The turtles will travel ALL OVER THE YARD!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8419289

again, note my warning about the lawn mower :(
you are right they travel to explore and find bugs I guess.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8420182

How cold do you think they can tolerate? My pond only occasionally gets to 70 and our average temp is around 65 in the summer

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8420346

I have found several turtles in my ponds over the yrs and I take them to a big pond in the country. Here is a little snapper from 2 yrs ago.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8420350

Here is one that was in it last yr. He is an Eastern Box turtle. Never seen one before.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8420458

He is beautiful.. My dad saved a huge bullfrog once. In Tennessee. Pulled him from a dried up mud hole, washed him off, and took him to a big pond up in the hills. boy was he big. Course I was only about 6 at the time, but I can still see Dad holding him by his underarms and how longgg he was..
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8421177

ohhhhhhhh.

I scream at the site of BF. I don't know why, but they JUMP and that freaks me out,and then I scream like a little girl LOL
And they are just hideous !

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8421841

I like BFs but not snakes. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8422051

well sometimes they seem cute, but then when you get close they jump and startle and then I scream and oh, it's just awful!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8422725

I dont' have any problem with BF's either - just bats...
CatladyDane
Orlando, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 25, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8450299

His name is "Wrinkles". 6 inches long, but I'm sure he'll grow more. He actually belongs to a friend of mine and she feeds him turtle food that she gets at the pet store. I don't know if he'll eat fish. My two goldfish became dinner for wildlife before Wrinkles came. I'm thinking about trying minnows for mosquito control (in addition to Mosquito Bits). My ponds are in the sun but the plants in them give some shade. I'm trying to work out some plantings around them to give more shade. Algae thrives in the sun. I'm planning to order some snails that I saw at thepondguy.com
jeanniejayne
Smyrna, DE

April 3, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8468844

Bob is totally totally cool! I remember his from the Golden Book I had as a kid and have always wanted to see a softshell turtle not in a zoo! We inherited my son's huge 6-8" red eared slied. Although i fear we are too far north for him, I am going to tryy him in our garden because I an 10 tired of cleaning the aquarium -- they are so dirty! Even with a good filter! and 2) we have too many gold fish (not all gold, either-- many are grey and I won't miss them).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America