Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?: No So Invasive

Communities > Forums > Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?Replies: 2, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Poetinwood
Council Hill, OK

March 7, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8411534

I have lived with mimosa for many years without any signs of invasiveness from Alabama to Oklahoma. I daily roam quite far afield examining flora, fauna, and water creatures always keeping an eye for useful or invasive species.
There is currently 3 mimosa within sight of my house that have shown no signs of invasiveness. The largest is about 15 years old, I tried to collect seed from the plant but close examination shows 95% damage due to a tiny larvae that bores into the pods. The rest don't sprout, I couldn't even get any to germinate in paper towels. I am trying to study the larvae with amateur equipment, I'm afraid.
So I dug up a rare small volunteer and planted it in my yard alongside a native mulberry with the constraint that the first one to five feet could remain. I had to cut the mimosa. I just needed something to cover my propane tank and the size and habit of mimosa makes it the preferred plant, constraints aside,
It's my grandmother's fault, way back in Daviston, Alabama who had one when I was a boy. I'm still looking for another one.
avgardner
Petaluma, CA

September 5, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9266324

I bought a Albizia julibrissin 'summre Chocolate'
# PP138,22 from a local hardware store today. It's 6 ft. tall and still has pink blossoms here in Petaluma CA.
Their vendor is www/hinesgrowers.com
desertair
Riverside, CA

March 11, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9445789

One thing I don't see in the comments is about the roots. My neighbor has a mimosa that grows close to the fence dividing us. I can't plant anything on my side of the fence close because the roots of the mimosa are so invasive they choke out my plants. If I dig, I find a mass of hair-like roots crowding out my plants. Personally this the killer for me. I have a great dislike for this tree.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Mimosa is a favorite Treasure UniQueTreasures 20 Oct 4, 2009 9:45 PM
Mimosa tree nathaliecraft 6 Sep 28, 2009 12:51 PM
Mimosa catevala 1 Sep 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Mimosa tree shirleyt 1 Sep 26, 2009 4:02 AM
Leaf Drop of Gardinia garden328 2 Mar 9, 2011 10:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America